PDA

View Full Version : Tall Boots that stand up to everyday riding.

forestergirl99
Jun. 4, 2011, 04:29 PM
So it seems that calfskin is all the rage now among the high quality boots, but I've heard so many things about calfskin not being very durable. What boots, calfskin or not, have you had that stood up well to everyday riding?

Edited: I currently have Ariats, and the zipper's actually have held up for years. It's the leather that cracked around the top. Other than that they are still gorgeous boots when they're polished up. If they weren't way too big around the calf I probably wouldn't be getting new boots.

*Liz*
Jun. 4, 2011, 04:41 PM
I can tell you what does NOT hold up to everyday wear, Ariat (any) and MH Supremes. If I didn't need a slim calf, I think the heavy-duty MH boots would probably wear for a long time, but they just don't fit me :( I currently have a pair of MH Supremes - because they're gorgeous and fit and feel fantastic, and a pair of Rectiligne Maryland. The Rectiligne boots I bought on advice of other COTHers to be a durable everyday boot. So far they are AWESOME, super comfy and they feel like they've got a better chance to last more than 6 months.

goosejumps
Jun. 4, 2011, 05:04 PM
I can tell you what does NOT hold up to everyday wear, Ariat (any) and MH Supremes.

sigh, agreed. yet another busted ariat zipper on my crown pros that are perfectly worn in. and i'm a long way away from my amazing "zipper fixer guy" in sunny CA...:(

forestergirl99
Jun. 4, 2011, 05:07 PM
I have some Ariats right now. Other than the fact that they are way too big, I thought they were great boots. Until one day I realized the little rolled area around the top of the boots had cracks all the way around it.....:rolleyes:. And they haven't been abused in any way. They've been babied more than any of my other tack.

hntrjmprpro45
Jun. 4, 2011, 05:18 PM
I can tell you what does NOT hold up to everyday wear, Ariat (any) and MH Supremes. If I didn't need a slim calf, I think the heavy-duty MH boots would probably wear for a long time, but they just don't fit me :( I currently have a pair of MH Supremes - because they're gorgeous and fit and feel fantastic, and a pair of Rectiligne Maryland. The Rectiligne boots I bought on advice of other COTHers to be a durable everyday boot. So far they are AWESOME, super comfy and they feel like they've got a better chance to last more than 6 months.

I have a pair of Rectilignes and they are incredibly resilient. I have literally put thousands of hours riding in them (about 20-30 hours a week), and they have been great. I just had new zippers put in after 4ish years but the leather and stitching are very durable.

I also have mh supremes. The fit and look are absolutely gorgeous for the price but they will not hold up to everyday wear and tear.

forestergirl99
Jun. 4, 2011, 06:05 PM
I can't seem to find Rectilignes boots anywhere. Where should I look?

Nevermind! Just found a place. These boots are gorgeous! Which models do you have?

Jo
Jun. 4, 2011, 06:34 PM
Wow - that is a bummer about the MH Supremes. Several of us wear other models of MH boots daily. I have the Sportives and two others I know have the High Rider and all wear beautifully and are comfortable for all day wear.

Heliodoro
Jun. 4, 2011, 06:59 PM
Effinghams. Mine are going on 10 years, though for a while they stayed in a show bag and only came out for shows. Since my last pair of half chaps bit the dust last spring, I've been using them exclusively! Hunting, schooling and they still shine up nice for showing! They don't have any zippers or gussets, but they sure are durable! My trainer had a pair for close to 20 years if that gives you any idea!

Course I don't know if they're even made anymore...

peachy
Jun. 4, 2011, 07:00 PM
I started wearing my Beval Puissance boots for riding at home all the time about one year ago and they are still holding up really well. However, everyday riding for me isn't literally everyday, but one horse 3-4 days a week. I'll be curious to see if others think the Beval's are durable.

I did have to get my local shoe repair guy to cover up the soft gusseted piece on the inside of the calf with something more durable when the seam started to separate. I think that's kind of inevitable regardless with that type of construction, though. I also had him clean and oil the zippers, which will hopefully help those last longer.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Jun. 4, 2011, 07:16 PM
I can tell you more of what doesn't:

Sergios, Vogel's high end leather, Monacos, Ariat Crownes, Bevals and MH Supremes.

forestergirl99
Jun. 4, 2011, 07:18 PM
I can tell you more of what doesn't:

Sergios, Vogel's high end leather, Monacos, Ariat Crownes, Bevals and MH Supremes.

:lol: "Doesn't" is helpful!!

mojo7777
Jun. 4, 2011, 08:05 PM
Just when my second Ariat zipper broke, a COTH member tipped me off to the deal of a lifetime--perfect fit Vogel field boots (pull on), just barely broken in, for $75 on ebay! I still can't believe it. Before that happened, I had discovered Saxon Equileather boots for wet everyday conditions. They're not bad, really! :yes: I'm hoping they will extend the life of my Vogels which I can't resist using for schooling.

Calvincrowe
Jun. 4, 2011, 08:28 PM
For heavy riding, I'd avoid a zippered boot altogether. I have an older pair of Ariat's high end boot, no zipper, and they've held up very well. I ride 3-4 times a week (so not the pro level of abuse;)) but they are nice enough, after 4 years, that I can slap on a bit of polish and head to a schooling/B show and be good to go.

I know they're old school, but I love my pull on boots. I've seen too many folks with their fancy-schmancy zippered boots electrical taped on at shows when the zipper failed.

stolen virtue
Jun. 4, 2011, 08:37 PM
My Ariats non zipper have held up very well again 3-4 rides per week and mid range style. In fact when Ariat went to only zippered boots I bought a pair of pull on Crownpro as back up/show boots. That zipper is made to fail and will only last about 18 months according to my research.

Untill my boots have holes in the calves-and they get there eventually-they are perfectly good !

bluebuckets
Jun. 4, 2011, 09:00 PM
Dehner's are awesome, but I would go with their more resilient leathers (there are 2). They seem to hold up extremely well to everyday, HARD use. My friend and I have them.

xxreddxheaddxx
Jun. 4, 2011, 09:41 PM
I ride several a day, and I have worn tall boots for years. After several breaks and tears I shut my eyes and bought a pair of paddock boots and chaps. Love them.

fordtraktor
Jun. 4, 2011, 11:26 PM
Ariats only come in zippered now? I was going to recommend the NON-zippered one but I guess not.

My Heritages lasted 15 years, much of which was heavy riding and some of those years were occasional. I am STILL using them as a daily riding boot -- sure they leak a little if I step in water, and they have dropped so they are too short for shows, but darn, those have been durable boots. I haven't replaced a thing, just regular polishing with boot polish only. Well, I did replace the laces around year 8.

My new Crowne Pros also seem to be doing well -- but again, no zipper. One less thing to break. Zippers wear out fast, particularly when they are holding something together that is at tight as good boots need to be. The teeth can't last and your zippered boot is only as strong as the weakest teeth.

Renn/aissance
Jun. 4, 2011, 11:31 PM
I started wearing my Beval Puissance boots for riding at home all the time about one year ago and they are still holding up really well. However, everyday riding for me isn't literally everyday, but one horse 3-4 days a week. I'll be curious to see if others think the Beval's are durable.

Nope.

I bought my Puissances on the advice of a friend. I've had them for maybe two and a half years and treat them like gold. They are falling apart. The calf is about to spring a hole, the zipper is trying to break, the leather around the zipper is shredded, and there are holes between the sole and the side of the boot. I am not impressed and won't be getting another pair.

Before that I had a set of pull-on Ariat boots which wore like iron (old Ariats; don't buy the new ones,) and before that I had a pair of Koenigs that probably would have been awesome if I hadn't outgrown them.

I'll be interested in how the Tredstep boots hold up.

Kairoshorses
Jun. 4, 2011, 11:41 PM
I accidentally got a pair of MH....winter? Heavy duty? boots four years ago. I figured I would use them for every day. They have held up wonderfully. I get them wet, dirty, don't take care of them, and they are still going strong. They were kind of big and clunky, so I was hoping to wear them out. Now I'm tickled that I accidentally bought them!

oldgreypony
Jun. 5, 2011, 12:15 AM
You can get custom Dehner boots in the sturdy Voyager leather for $750, in either a dress boot or a field boot. You will be able to have them resoled many times, Dehner will repair them if you manage to wear through the legs or the side of the foot, and they will fit like you cannot believe. They will outlast off the shelf boots, and will repay your initial investment in two or three years. Unless you have really funky legs, or a really high instep, you don't need zippers-just one more thing to go wrong.

http://www.dehner.com/customboots_riding.html

RugBug
Jun. 5, 2011, 12:44 AM
I'll 3rd the Dehner recommendation. I think mine will survive an apocalypse. Course, they are fully lined, which makes a difference. My trainer has a pair of Dehner's that are over 20 yrs old and still going strong.

I will say that I cannot agree with the Rectiligne recommendation. The ones I used to be surrounded by daily are crap. They were not only ugly, but had zipper failures (not necessarily busted zippers, but they wouldn't stay up) and the leather would peel apart. We had a lot of people at my barn riding in them...I wouldn't go near them with a ten foot pole.

forestergirl99
Jun. 5, 2011, 12:45 AM
I'll 3rd the Dehner recommendation. I think mine will survive an apocalypse. Course, they are fully lined, which makes a difference. My trainer has a pair of Dehner's that are over 20 yrs old and still going strong.

I will say that I cannot agree with the Rectiligne recommendation. The ones I used to be surrounded by daily are crap. They were not only ugly, but had zipper failures (not necessarily busted zippers, but they wouldn't stay up) and the leather would peel apart. We had a lot of people at my barn riding in them...I wouldn't go near them with a ten foot pole.

:cry: Poop!! Thanks for the info!

hntrjmprpro45
Jun. 5, 2011, 12:56 AM

Really? I wonder what model they were...

Mine are older (4+ years old) so maybe they have changed things up (switched leather suppliers or something). I'm really surprised because I put in lots of hours in mine and really haven't been good about cleaning them regularly and they still have managed to not just hold together, but they actually look pretty good except for the inner calf which is visibly worn down.

I personally miss the thicker and stiffer boots of the past. You know, the ones that didn't need boot trees to stand up?

RugBug
Jun. 5, 2011, 01:25 AM

Mine are older (4+ years old) so maybe they have changed things up (switched leather suppliers or something). I'm really surprised because I put in lots of hours in mine and really haven't been good about cleaning them regularly and they still have managed to not just hold together, but they actually look pretty good except for the inner calf which is visibly worn down.

I personally miss the thicker and stiffer boots of the past. You know, the ones that didn't need boot trees to stand up?

These were all older models as well....and I would guess cheaper ones (under $200?). I imagine the ones that pealed were defective...but I think two pairs did that.

I do like the older stiffer boots that hold up to anything...I have fully lined Dehner's, afterall. :winkgrin: But after seeing the Rectilignes...I wouldn't put them in that category, although maybe there are nicer ones and I just saw the entry level ones. They make my shudder to think about...that's how much I don't like them. :lol:

forestergirl99
Jun. 5, 2011, 01:53 AM

What model do you have?

hntrjmprpro45
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:26 AM
What model do you have?

I'm pretty sure they are the Maryland's (I think they were $500ish back when I bought them).

Denzel
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:33 AM
I love my DeNiro boots! I got them about a year and a half ago, and wear them everyday, and I usually ride 2-3 horses. I don't baby them at all, and now I'm in a working student position where I wear them all day, every day, and they go through hell and back. In addition to wearing super well, the leather is very good quality and they were just as easy to break in as my Monaco's (aka, no break in time!).

Another thing I love about them, is that there is a zipper guard at the heel, which seems to keep the zippers more durable and less likely to bust open.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/deniro-ottaviano-boot-with-hunt-collar-8844p.aspx?cm_vc=Search these are the boots I have, and I have gotten nothing but compliments on them! And I LOVE the brown tops! (Yes, I know they are men's boots, blah blah blah, but these are just schooling boots!)

indygirl2560
Jun. 5, 2011, 05:00 PM
My first pair of ariat challenges lasted 6yrs and just recently the zippers broke. I bought a new pair for schooling and they seem to be holding up. My crowne pro's however have much softer leather and are already scuffed up and worn down from just a few rides. No way would they hold up to everyday use...

rockfordbuckeye
Jun. 6, 2011, 06:52 AM
I have a pair of Ariat Bromont (winter boots) which i wear 6 months of the year and they are taking a serious beating and still are in great shape. They are warm and I totally love them. I wish they had a coomax version so I could wear all year long!

In the summer I wear MH supremes and I've had them for a bit over a year now. They are definitely starting to wear a bit at the calf and aren't handling the regular abuse as well. I ride 6 days a week but only 1 horse. I was hoping they would survive every day wear b/c I hate paddock boots/half chaps but I can already tell they'll be lucky to survive the rest of this summer.

purplnurpl
Jun. 6, 2011, 11:15 AM
So it seems that calfskin is all the rage now among the high quality boots, but I've heard so many things about calfskin not being very durable. What boots, calfskin or not, have you had that stood up well to everyday riding?

Edited: I currently have Ariats, and the zipper's actually have held up for years. It's the leather that cracked around the top. Other than that they are still gorgeous boots when they're polished up. If they weren't way too big around the calf I probably wouldn't be getting new boots.

Willson & Davidson makes a double leather boot for this very issue. Every day hard wear. They are quite lovely.

http://www.willsondavidson.com/boots/virginiaDoubleLeatherFieldBoot.html

showmom858
Jun. 6, 2011, 12:17 PM
My D uses her Ariat Crowne Pros (NO zippers) for her everyday riding boots. The leather was way too soft on these and she wore through it on the inside of both cboots. We took it to the shoe repair and they put long leather patches on the inside of the boots and it is holding up very well. D rides up to 5 horses a day in the summer time for her trainer and loves these boots because they are so broken in and comfortable she can have them on for 10 or more hours a day.

winter
Jun. 6, 2011, 01:14 PM
My Parlanti's are my every-day boot.
Initially I tried to 'save' them by riding in my half chaps and paddock boots but then I started riding in them every day and couldn't go back.
They are about 6 years old and have been my daily boots for over 4 years....
They are also my show boots and when polished they look close to new.

morganpony86
Jun. 6, 2011, 01:51 PM
Dehner's are awesome, but I would go with their more resilient leathers (there are 2). They seem to hold up extremely well to everyday, HARD use. My friend and I have them.

I'll 4th (5th?) the Dehners.
I rode 2 horses a day for a decade (not to mention walking around the farm/shows) in mine until I literally wore a hole through the calf.
ETA: I literally cried that day.

I'm saving up for a new pair, hopefully next year. I looked online and even though I bought mine ages ago, today's models look *exactly* the same.

LShipley
Jun. 6, 2011, 06:21 PM
My Ariat Challenges WITHOUT zippers have held up well for regular riding. I've had them for 5 years and just last week the leather cracked. The Challenge has pretty good leather - I feel like it has held up well.

Based my experience with zippered paddock boots, I do not plan to ever buy any tall boots with zippers.

jrzeqrider
Jun. 6, 2011, 08:55 PM
Nope.

I bought my Puissances on the advice of a friend. I've had them for maybe two and a half years and treat them like gold. They are falling apart. The calf is about to spring a hole, the zipper is trying to break, the leather around the zipper is shredded, and there are holes between the sole and the side of the boot. I am not impressed and won't be getting another pair.

Agreed. I've had mine for almost two years and the boots have lost their shine, the stitching is coming apart, I'm wearing through the calf, and since there is no spur rest the heel around the zipper is torn up. Definitely not everyday boots. My Puissance half chaps however have held up for 3+ years though. Go figure.

hntrjmprpro45
Jun. 6, 2011, 10:29 PM
Willson & Davidson makes a double leather boot for this very issue. Every day hard wear. They are quite lovely.

Ooo me likey!

gc03
Jun. 14, 2011, 02:03 AM
don't know what you're looking to spend, as that can be a big determining factor in this, but i have a pair of zip vogel's that i absolutely love. for years i tried to work with ariat's, but found myself getting a new pair about every other year. finally i gave in (more like my parents did), and got a pair of customs. although i didn't plan on it, i ride in them pretty much every day (during all four seasons). they're the first pair of boots that have really "fit" me, and have lasted about three years through some pretty heavy riding.

chawley
Jun. 14, 2011, 12:41 PM
I'm going to have to disagree with some here...I purchased the new Ariat Challenge II for everyday use and they have been great. I'm going on a year with them, riding multiple horses, baths, walking around in them all day, etc., and they still are in great condition. I clean them regularly and spray the zipper with silicone weekly though.

They are fully lined, but broke in well. I also have calfskin Vogels, and I would definitely stay away from calfskin for a daily boot.

magnolia73
Jun. 14, 2011, 05:00 PM
It seems like you used to go buy custom and it was expected that they lasted for years. My DerDaus are 21 years old and still serviceable.

It *amazes* me that they can sell boots that last 2 years for more than $250. I guess it is the soft leather and zippers that have hurt durability. Pulling boots on was not that awful for most people- and those days when they would just not come on or off surely were not as frequent as the zipper breaking of today.

The soft leather and zippers- ha, if I was paranoid I'd call it a conspiracy to sell more boots!

Xbittersweet
Jun. 14, 2011, 05:13 PM

I did have to get my local shoe repair guy to cover up the soft gusseted piece on the inside of the calf with something more durable when the seam started to separate. I think that's kind of inevitable regardless with that type of construction, though. I also had him clean and oil the zippers, which will hopefully help those last longer.

My Bevals held up great. I wore them so often I stretched them to the point of no return. Then my calf got to big for their sizes so I didn't get another pair :(

bits619
Jun. 14, 2011, 07:32 PM

Those are beautiful! What's the average price point for Willson & Davidsons- or what's a comparable brand?
I love the double leather idea.

sarafina
Jun. 22, 2011, 09:04 PM
Late to this party, but I'll second the DerDau's as I've had mine since 1987 (off the rack no less) never re soled, and beat to death, but still a lot of wear in them. Came to this thread as I'm just now looking for new boots to show in (I can't color in the toe cap to make it look black anymore! :P )

After reading this, I'm pretty much guaranteed to go back to DerDau or possibly Dehner. Do the Dehner boots polish up well with that Voyager leather?

forestergirl99
Jun. 23, 2011, 02:51 PM
Late to this party, but I'll second the DerDau's as I've had mine since 1987 (off the rack no less) never re soled, and beat to death, but still a lot of wear in them. Came to this thread as I'm just now looking for new boots to show in (I can't color in the toe cap to make it look black anymore! :P )

After reading this, I'm pretty much guaranteed to go back to DerDau or possibly Dehner. Do the Dehner boots polish up well with that Voyager leather?

I ended up with DerDau's. :) Thanks guys!

overthemoon
Nov. 20, 2011, 07:06 PM
Bumping this back up as I missed it before!

Any new/further suggestions for a student budget? I'd really like to start wearing field boots for every day use and the helpful COTHers have warned me from wearing my Crownes daily. I was really intrigued by the Saxon Equi-Leather, but disappointed to see how bad the use seems.

TIA :)

Donkerbruin
Nov. 20, 2011, 08:09 PM
For heavy riding, I'd avoid a zippered boot altogether. I have an older pair of Ariat's high end boot, no zipper, and they've held up very well. I ride 3-4 times a week (so not the pro level of abuse;)) but they are nice enough, after 4 years, that I can slap on a bit of polish and head to a schooling/B show and be good to go.

I know they're old school, but I love my pull on boots. I've seen too many folks with their fancy-schmancy zippered boots electrical taped on at shows when the zipper failed.

I swear at my pull-ons daily when I have to get my boyfriend to take them off for me...but they sure do hold up well! Mine are the nice Ariats too.

candysgirl
Nov. 20, 2011, 08:38 PM
I swear by my Dublin Aristocrats. They're around $160 and I beat the heck out of mine doing everything you're not supposed to do in them. Driving, trail riding, endurance rides, walking around in them, barn chores, etc. They still shine up nicely enough for local shows (I don't show anything rated at this point). They're comfortable enough that they wear like sneakers. I've had them about a year and haven't killed them yet.

Cacique
Nov. 20, 2011, 11:32 PM
Not Ariat, and certainly not DerDau (mine haven't even held up to occasional showing and special lessons/pre-show lessons. urgh)