PDA

View Full Version : Could this Devoucoux be fake?

Shinyfluff
Jun. 4, 2011, 02:08 PM
Hi, I am about to buy a used Devoucoux saddle but am a little worried that it is fake. It has buttons that say Devoucoux Biarritz but there are no markings anywhere else on the saddle. The only stamp is a 17 4 91 under the left flap towards the upper back. There is no Made in France or anything else. Also there seems to be a oval Devoucoux stamp on the very upper right flap by the seat. but it is almost illegible and there is no impression in the leather, it looks like a surface stamp. There was nothing that I could find under the saddle by the panels. The saddle came from Switzerland via a farrier and so is a european model. Does anyone have any info or thoughts?

jn4jenny
Jun. 4, 2011, 02:14 PM
The Devoucoux serials have gotten longer as time went on, so it's possible that it's just a very old/early Devoucoux model. As in, a 17" model with a #4 (extra-long) flap, possibly either the 91st saddle made that year or made in the year 1991.

My trainer's 2000 model Biarritz is only a little more elaborate in its serial number, but not by much--and it does have the oval Devoucoux stamp on the flap as you described that is somewhat faded but still legible. If the one you're looking at is indeed a '91 model, it would make sense that the logo is so faded.

Shinyfluff
Jun. 4, 2011, 02:54 PM
Thanks jn4jenny, that is really putting my mind at ease. I was also thinking that the 91 meant the year as it is obvs an old saddle although still in very usable condition. I had seen a few pics of US models with very elaborate info stamped underneath by the panels and got a little worried. The foam surprisingly seems ok, maybe it had been re-foamed in its life, I don't know, but it feels pretty good.

horsegurl
Jun. 4, 2011, 03:39 PM
Shiny,
You could check with Michelle at www.saddlesolution.com or on Facebook. She handles many previously loved saddles and works direct with Devoucoux to place trade ins.

No "s" after 'solution' in her url.

hntrjmprpro45
Jun. 4, 2011, 03:42 PM
The lack of quality of the leather and stitching are generally dead give aways when it comes to spotting fakes. If needed call Devoucoux and ask about the serial number, but if the saddle looks and feels high quality, then chances are it is real.

Shinyfluff
Jun. 4, 2011, 06:52 PM
hntrjmprpro45 there is no serial number that I can find, just the 17 4 91. unless it could have worn off? where is it supposed to be? and is there a difference in placement between american and european market models? thanks!

horsegurl: thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a try : )

Rosie
Jun. 4, 2011, 07:14 PM
Don't want to alarm you, but sometimes the information is removed/altered on stolen saddles. Many stolen European saddles end up here in the states to be sold.
I'd take extensive photos of the saddle and contact Devoucoux - who should be able to help you with more information.

Hopefully, it's authentic and legit. :)

Shinyfluff
Jun. 5, 2011, 05:06 PM
Rosie: oh good lord! I hadn't even thought of that : (
I am in SLovakia not the states but still.....