PDA

View Full Version : Quick helmet fit question

FertilizerLeaves
Jun. 4, 2011, 01:29 PM
So, I've been loving my new helmet, but I have a question. I did a quick search on the forums and didn't see anything, so if this has been answered, let me know!

Does your head touch the inside top of your helmet? On my old one it did, but on my new one, it doesn't. Now, it does sit right above my ears, and if I squish it down on my head (forcing my head to touch the inner top) there's a lot of pressure on the upper part of my head. If you were to look at it, it looks like it's all the way down, it sits right above my eye brows and tops of ears. So, is this right even though my head doesn't actually touch the inner top? If it helps, I have a fairly small (one size away from kids) head and it just feels like the helmet is a little taller than my head, is that ok? Thanks!

MorganLuvr848
Jun. 4, 2011, 02:17 PM
I don't think that is okay. I would try a different brand name. I would worry that if you fell on your head that the gap would create a harsher impact.

giddybiddy
Jun. 4, 2011, 03:55 PM
It sounds like you need a shallower helmet. Go to a reputable tack shop (if you can!) and ask them to try you in some shallower helmets.

What helmet is it, if you don't mind me asking? I work at a tack shop and fit helmets all day long, so maybe I could steer you in the direction of something a little shallower.

FertilizerLeaves
Jun. 5, 2011, 04:39 PM
It's the IRH Elite EQ. It really is comfy and fits, from what I can tell, really well. When I say I can squish it down, it's really only going down 1/8" if that. it's not much at all, not like 1/2" or 1".

I went to the most 'reputable' one within driving distance. I said I kept feeling like I wanted to push it down and pull the visor up and she adjusted it on my head and said something like "it sits here but it does fits you". I told her that before I just had dial-fit helmets so I didn't know how it was suppose to sit. I know fit around the head but where on the head I was unsure of because I could put my adjustable one where it just felt best rather than what was correct.

I did try on other models. I wear a 6 3/4 and even tried on kids ones. CO hurt my head and didn't hit evenly all the way around. And GPA (even if I could afford it) was really really uncomfortable. I know I can't wear Troxel.

Thanks!

Give and Take
Jun. 5, 2011, 09:39 PM
i was thinking of getting an IRH but when i tried them, they squashed my ears. the CO looked like a mushroom on my head and the GPA fit perfectly - even though i had been hoping to save some $$.

i use the tipperary for schooling and it fits around my ears - Dover has the new black show version they came out with.

i think having a gap could create a 2nd 'impact' bounce if you fell - not good.