PDA

View Full Version : Safe/Supportive Pony Boots for H/J Ponies

irideponyhunters
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:00 PM
Hey everyone. So i bought my Childrens hunter horse the Equifit LUXE t-boots front and back and I LOVE THEM. Love the fit and everything. I also have a large pony that i mainly just hack around at home and a medium pony who im training for the medium greens. I bought both of my ponies the Roma Open Front boots and the ankle boots and i was pleased with them at first. I put them on my large and they fit pretty well. And i put them on my medium and i thought they fit..decent..not awesome like the t boots or anything but i figured they wouldnt be but so great for the $40 i paid for them vs the $300 t-boots. Well she ended up getting an injury caused by these boots where the reins slipped down, she stepped through them,and the reins went down between the boot and her leg and when she raised her head the reins injured her leg. This was a couple months ago but ever since then ive used polo wraps on her all the way around. What do you all suggest that you like on your ponies..that have a great fit, and fit the small/medium pony legs, and also are pretty supportive? Ive looked into the Equifit T-sport wrap. Im starting to think about T-boots for her also..but still even those arent that supportive. Would love to see what you all suggest. thanks! :)

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:09 PM
If the reins are getting tangled up in the boots you need shorter reins. Your reins shouldn't be long enough to get caught up on your irons/toes, nevertheless pony's boots.

I use eskadron pony boots on my medium and they work perfectly. Then again, I use pony-length reins.

Rel6
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:00 PM
If the reins are getting tangled up in the boots you need shorter reins. Your reins shouldn't be long enough to get caught up on your irons/toes, nevertheless pony's boots.

I use eskadron pony boots on my medium and they work perfectly. Then again, I use pony-length reins.

This. Its not the boots fault, its the reins and whoever let them dangle to the point where the pony could get a foot stuck in them.

laughATTACK
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:04 PM
Ditto to what they said. Maybe you could clarify exactly what happened. I'm kind of confused by your description, but then again, maybe I'm having an idiot day.

RAyers
Jun. 4, 2011, 09:47 AM
Given the structure of the equine leg, NO boot or wrap is supportive, regardless of claims. They would have to be made from steel to provide significant support.

The best you can hope for is strike and brush protection. In that case almost any boot will work. I use Veredus, Dalmars, WoofWears, and Eskadrons (basically whatever was on the clearance rack at the tack store). What you might look for is a boot that has venting to reduce overheating of the tendon/ligaments; reducing the risk of additional tissue damage.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Jun. 4, 2011, 10:47 AM
Given the structure of the equine leg, NO boot or wrap is supportive, regardless of claims. They would have to be made from steel to provide significant support.

The best you can hope for is strike and brush protection. In that case almost any boot will work. I use Veredus, Dalmars, WoofWears, and Eskadrons (basically whatever was on the clearance rack at the tack store). What you might look for is a boot that has venting to reduce overheating of the tendon/ligaments; reducing the risk of additional tissue damage.

This too. :yes:

SportsFan46
Jun. 4, 2011, 03:18 PM
A Veredus small will fit a large pony nicely. The Olympus Front boots are only $144.95 MSRP