PDA

View Full Version : Hookworm infestation in barncat.

Lieslot
Jun. 3, 2011, 07:44 PM
My barncat had been pretty lethargic for about 2 weeks, he just didn't look right, not grooming himself, not all that playful anymore. He had been losing weight over the last month, but continued to eat very well.

I took him to the vet today and vet said he has hookworm and told me the lethargy would be as a result of that.

She treated him with Profender transdermal and said he'd feel better again in a few days.

Now I deworm him once a year with Praziquantel and 3 times a year with Piperazine paste. How come he still got hookworms?
I actually did the Praziquantel only 3 weeks ago.

Is Profender the only de-wormer that addressed hookworms in that case? Seems it's RX. Should I have gotten some of my vet to de-worm in the coming months or do you take in a stoolsample regularly?
I normally only take in a stoolsample during the yearly vaccination visit, never at any other time. :confused:

I just googled cat deworming and noticed there's something like Heartgard for cats too. My dog is on Heartgard, I didn't realize it's out there for cats too.
So what type of deworming/frequency does your barncat get?

Thanks mucho.

LauraKY
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:38 PM
I use Revolution. It treats ear mites, mange, fleas, heartworm, hookworms and roundworms. Tou apply it once a month like Frontline.

Marshfield
Jun. 5, 2011, 03:53 PM
You can also use Interceptor for cats and it will cover many of the intestinal parasites. Profender is nice since it gets the hooks. rounds and tapes.

2DogsFarm
Jun. 6, 2011, 06:50 AM
Another vote for Revolution! :yes:

I split two 3-packs between barncat & housecat - BC gets 4 treatments, HC gets 2 & there are never fleas or ticks at 2 Dogs Farm.
The heartworm/ear mite prevention is a bonus.
I still use parziquantel(Droncit) for BC too since she does like her bunny sushi....

Lieslot
Jun. 6, 2011, 07:59 AM
Thanks! :)
Revolution it shall be. I'll stop the piperazine paste, seemed pretty useless.