PDA

View Full Version : Baby birds/nest thread

Serigraph
Jun. 3, 2011, 06:56 PM
I've noticed a few threads about birds nests. I have one in my wreath outside my window that has 5 several day old babies. They are getting so big and hanging their necks over the top.

What to do if one falls out? I don't think it would survive unfortunately, but in case it did any advice? This is the first time I've gotten to watch the cycle and I'm attached :).

jetsmom
Jun. 4, 2011, 12:02 AM
If it is too young to fly, I put them back in the nest. Once they start trying to fly, leave them alone/keep dogs and cats away and usually the parents will return to feed them.

Otherwise, start searching your area for a wildlife rehab. Check local ph book/google/call rescues or AC and see if they can refer you. It's best if you find out now, before you need the info.

JSwan
Jun. 4, 2011, 08:25 AM
I used to volunteer for this group in Virginia.
They have a hotline you can call when you have a question, and they will refer you to a wildlife rehabber if necessary.

Wildliferescueleague.org

If you do an internet search, you could probably find something similar near you.

Foxtrot's
Jun. 4, 2011, 06:09 PM
I'm afraid that my experience with Mother Nature is that five babies are a lot to feed and as they get bigger and stronger, one little fellow becomes the weaker one. Eventually, due to space constraints, the littlest one gets shoved out. She's not very nice, is Mother Nature, but nothing cuter than when the babies are raised and sitting on a phone line ready to make their own way.