PDA

View Full Version : Best boots for barn work?

accidental cowgirl
Jun. 3, 2011, 07:00 PM
I need to get some comfy durable boots for barn chores, bringing horses in from turnout, etc. Waterproof and ideally something that can be worn year round would be best. The don't have to be suitable for riding--I have nice paddock boots already. Any recommendations are appreciated.

lesson junkie
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:00 PM
cowgirl-I love my Blundstones. I work at a landscape nursery, so I'm on my feet, walking and carrying plants and bags of soil conditioners all day. I'm sure tired when I get home, but my feet don't hurt!

I do barn work in them, ride, garden, walk the dogs-all but sleep. The are waterproof and breathable. I just kick them off at the door, so I don't track the barn into the house with me.

The sizing is a little tricky-I would advise trying them on first if you've never bought them before.

If you don't mind a fashion risk, they might just suit you.

MorgansForMe
Jun. 6, 2011, 02:33 PM
I have never found a all year round boot. What is good in the winter bakes my feet in the summer. What is water proof makes my feet stink. I really like Keens for the winter. You can see the Kaci style at shoemall.com (http://www.shoemall.com/brand/Clarks-shoes). In summer you can usually find me in Crocs.

MorgansForMe
Jun. 6, 2011, 02:35 PM
I just looked at shoemall.com and they are half price. How cool is that.

Sithly
Jun. 6, 2011, 02:47 PM
After deciding to never again spend money for Ariat garbage, I bought a pair of these:

http://www.sheplers.com/justin-womens-george-strait-waterproof-lacer.html

They are awesome so far. Super comfortable, very waterproof, but not stiflingly hot. They're already holding up better than my last pair of Ariats did. They're great to ride in, too. And, unlike some work boots, my half chaps fit over them easily.

2DogsFarm
Jun. 6, 2011, 05:58 PM
I like my $16 TSC rubber boots.
Totally waterproof as they are one solid piece of molded rubber.

The fabric lining keeps them comfortable when it's hot out & the rubber is thick enough so my toes are at least partially protected from hoof-smooshing.

For cold weather I put them on over polarfleece socks.

First pair lasted 3 years before I ripped the heel seam by standing on it to pull one off.

hosspuller
Jun. 7, 2011, 12:53 AM
Best boot I've found is the original LL Bean boot. Totally waterproof (up to the leather only) AND wears well. First pair lasted 7 years. Only got another pair because the resole price was too close to the new price. Now I have two pairs... An old worn-out pair and a new stiff pair. :D

sophie
Jun. 7, 2011, 08:37 PM
I am looking for barn boots too. I have a pair of $35 waterproof boots with neoprene lining that have held up surprisingly well, but they're too hot for summer.

Years ago I had a pair of Timberland hiking boot, leather and gore-tex (got them cheap at the outlet store) and I LOVED them. I did everything in them, barn chores, riding, hiking, they were breathable and waterproof. They finally died after about 10 years. I brought them back to the store and said, I want the exact SAME ones. Tragically tho, they didn't make them anymore...

Since then, I've been searching. Nothing will do. And I will not spending $150 on boots I'll be wearing to muck stalls.

Beethoven
Jun. 7, 2011, 08:40 PM
Mudruckers! http://www.smartpakequine.com/mudruckers-sport-shoe-4212p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

Love them!

:D