PDA

View Full Version : AERC Legal Liniments/Poultices

BarbeyGirl
Jun. 3, 2011, 05:13 PM
I know a lot of endurance riders use liniments/poultices, including on multi-days, and I'd like to give them a try with my mare. However, it seems a lot of the major products (such as Sore No More) include banned substances (such as arnica).

What products have you found that (a) work and (b) are legal?

...or is topical use of arnica okay?

chicamux
Jun. 6, 2011, 07:17 AM
No arnica. You can use alcohol, you can use a plain clay poultice but you'd better read the ingredients list and compare them to the list of prohibited substances which you can find on AERC's web site under rules and regulations. You really have to be careful because some mfgrs do not list all the ingredients on containers of their products.

Bonnie S.

BarbeyGirl
Jun. 6, 2011, 04:07 PM
That's about what I thought -- thanks! Plain alcohol hadn't occurred to me.

I'm assuming that I could not use anything with arnica after one day's ride, if I also plan to ride the next day.

chicamux
Jun. 7, 2011, 06:53 AM
You're correct, nothing prohibited between rides, even if they are separate rides because of the withdrawal periods. But a correctly applied clay poultice that is wrapped with dampened brown paper will cool and tighten legs for hours. I'm sure you've seen a lot of horses standing around with poulticed legs and no wraps but this method doesn't work nearly as well as the full treatment.

You should check with AERC that clay poulticing is allowed. Unfortunately, the web site tends to state what isn't allowed but not what is allowed.

Bonnie

SoCalGal
Jun. 7, 2011, 09:17 AM
Not to worry...I've used arnica on myself, horses, and dogs with ZERO success. I used to buy Sore No More but am now convinced it's an utter waste of $$.

I love Absorbine, not sure if it's OK or not as I don't do AERC however it's great. Witch hazel also works well...

chicamux
Jun. 7, 2011, 11:07 AM
I love Sore No More. It works to reduce filling, whether from inflamation or bruising. I was amazed at how well it worked to prevent stocking up after hard rides and to remove the stocking up. I used it in a comparison test on a horse's hot, inflamed splint. I compared it to Surpass and the SNM won hands down.

I got to see something really unusual on myself when I had a bad fall and got a nasty hemotoma in my own forearm. By the time I got myself back to the horse trailer arm was filled with blood, horrendously swollen. I dosed my arm with SNM, soaked a big gauze square with SNM and placed that directly over the spot that had be struck then wrapped the entire arm with vet wrap before driving home. When I removed the vetwrap and gauze I saw a really arm red with all the blood below the surface except for this perfectly white square where the SNM soaked gauze square had been.

I've found it helps a lot with bruises if used early. No, it's not warm on your skin and it may not do much for pain but wow does it move fluid.

Bonnie

SoCalGal
Jun. 8, 2011, 06:46 PM
Interesting about your experiences with Sore No More. I myself had a horrible injury last year and tried it, but it didn't help. I've not had it help horses or my injured dog. I've tried other formulations with arnica on myself as well.

I've come to the conclusion that in my world, for me and my animals, SNM is useless. Maybe different people have different experiences?

SoCalGal
Jun. 8, 2011, 06:47 PM
The one application I have found SNM is useful for is if you need to wrap...other liniments are too "hot." But I haven't even found it to work on myself or horses for bruises...sigh...I so very much wanted to like it!

Enchantedkinship
Jun. 8, 2011, 07:07 PM
Hi-I agree with Bonnie.

I have used Sore No More for years and found it has 101 uses. I most recently used it on me with a sunburn that turned into blisters and the cream cleared it up right away.

I have had similar experiences to Bonnie, with bruises as well.

Although there is not much Arnica in it, any at all or anything with the name of a "prohibitive substances" under AERC Rule 13 list as of Dec 2010 is not allowed during competition.

There is a lot of confusion right now because there are different lists of "prohibitive or forbidden substances". Sore No More and arnica topicals are allowed by USEF and FEI, but Arnica is not under AERC.

Just to clarify, after speaking to USEF, FEI and the AERC ruling veterinarians, it is clear that they all have various rules and lists of substances. AERC has the strongest and longest list of "prohibitive substances" basically reinforcing their commitment to "not alter the natural condition of the horse during competition".

Sore No More is allowed to be used as directed by the manufacturer at USEF and FEI ruled events. No products with any of the substances listed on the AERC list are allowed to be used topically or internally at this point from what I was told.

Riders are responsible and should be careful on all accounts to look for the NASC ( National Animal Supplement Council) label on products as the council ensures high standards of ingredients on products. www.nasc.cc. Products with their seal guarantee that the labels and ingredients are accurate. So at least you will know what is really in it. They don't do topicals yet.

You can also contact the product company such as Arenus who bought Equilite and Sore No More -www.equilite.com-and ask them any questions or concerns. If you had a bad bottle I would ask them for a new sample and see if it works better for you SoCalGal.

I make my own herbal remedies and I still love and use Sore No More all the time --even used it on my husband after his knee surgery and he commented it was the only thing that made it feel better.

MA

kcooper
Jun. 9, 2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks for asking this - I was going to ask myself!
I think SNM works very well - combined with magnets, its the only thing that can get my old event mare's ankels to stay tight when she has to be in a stall overnight.
I also used arnica for years when I played rugby. The days I forgot to take it after a match, I was FAAAAR worse on Sunday morning. It does seem like bizarre wizardry, but I have seen results so I keep using it. Plus, when you have multiple chestnut mares, it is nice to find something that doesn't make their skin react!