PDA

View Full Version : 1st over night CTR without stabling, suggestions?

mysaygrace
Jun. 3, 2011, 02:28 PM
I'm thinking about taking my 5 yo to his first CTR this July, I figure I better start now thinking of some sort of corral to stable him in because stalls are not available on site. I want to get him acclimated to his new corral well before the ride. He's already use to electric tape sectioning off his pasture so I don't think electric would be a real issue for him. I can not use a High tie system on a trailer as I will be traveling with friends in their trailer instead of mine, this also limits the possibility of taking round pen panels due to space in their truck bed & trailer. I'm thinking of buying a portable electric pen as this might be my only option. I'm open to suggestions & ideas if anyone has other ideas. Thank you for your help, Lisa

Painted Horse
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:55 PM
I highline or tie to the trailer. Prefer to highline so I can sleep better. But I've spent a lot of nights sleeping in the trailer with the horses tied to the side.

When I did CTR, Thats what I did every other weekend, Most of our rides were in areas where they didn't have trees to highline to.

PRS
Jun. 4, 2011, 10:00 AM
A friend of mine uses a stake out method. He has a very long heavy stake that he drives into the ground. He has a length of rubber hose that he has passed a rope through (don't know how he did it) The hose prevents the rope from getting tangled around the horses legs. He's been using this method for years.

wendybird
Jun. 13, 2011, 09:36 PM
I use 8 tread-in standards and electric tape to make a yard for my endurance horse. They are quick to put up. About 120m will make a decent yard with a 2-strand fence, a couple of handles for the gate, and a small battery driven electric unit if your horse might decide to walk out. The good thing is that they don't take up much space when you travel with someone else, and are not very expensive.

Fancy That
Jun. 15, 2011, 12:04 AM
Saw this at an ACTHA ride. Nice thing was the horse was grazing in nice green grass area. He was staked with a long rope.

That hose-idea is a good one! Do you remember about how long he'd make the rope? Like 15 or 20 feet or??

The place where I first learned to ride would stake their horses....but I've only ever seen it again after 30 years, at this ACTHA ride.

As for me, I'd do step-in-poles for electric tape fencing :) Super light weight, easy, cheap.

A friend of mine uses a stake out method. He has a very long heavy stake that he drives into the ground. He has a length of rubber hose that he has passed a rope through (don't know how he did it) The hose prevents the rope from getting tangled around the horses legs. He's been using this method for years.