PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Need new bridle ASAP!

GingerJumper
Jun. 3, 2011, 02:27 PM
OK, so I posted looking for bridle suggestions on the Dressage board (looking for a flash bridle, mainly) and got some good suggestions.

However, I need something fairly inexpensive (but still decent quality) and I need it fast. Here's the catch, though... My OTTB has a TINY head. I'm not sure it'd fit a cob, but he needs a bridle fitted for a horse with a VERY slim head. I need it as quick as possible because, while my current bridle sort of fits on the last hole on everything, I'm getting ready to head off to a Pony Club camp in about 2 weeks, and (for those of you who don't know USPC) they're VERY picky about stuff being on the last hole.

I need to order a bridle ASAP for it to get here in time but I haven't found ANYTHING I think would fit him. AGH. :mad:

Thanks in advance!!

BAC
Jun. 3, 2011, 02:33 PM
Its not cheap, in fact they are very expensive, but Hadfields are sized for the TB so their full size (regular) would probably be a perfect fit.

I don't know about sizing but the Smartpak line of bridles are very popular and reasonably priced, supposed to be good quality.

GingerJumper
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks! I'll check them out. If I can talk the 'rents into it (still a junior, lol) then I might have to go that route.

GingerJumper
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:08 PM
Anyone have any experience with Otto Schumacher bridles?

This one would match my saddle pretty well and it's a TB size.. can't find a Hadfield anywhere near me or on eBay, but my eBay skills are lacking haha.

http://www.premiertackoutlet.com/Schumacher/osfigure8front.jpg

BAC
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:10 PM
Five Star Tack is having a 40% off sale and www.PremierTackOutlet.com (http://www.PremierTackOutlet.com) discounts high end bridles and sells used as well.

there is a thread on the Five Star Tack sale if you're interested.

GingerJumper
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:23 PM
The Schumacher I'm looking at is from PremierTackOutlet.com :)

I was looking at 5* but didn't see anything either black, or close to my saddle color :/ stupid Prestige reddish color... *sigh* I swear, that's the saddle's only flaw, and yet the most consequential one.

BAC
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:31 PM
The only thing with PTO is that they don't refund your money, so if size is an issue you might want to get all the measurements from Rebecca first.

If you are wanting a reddish color, then go with Edgewood, although again they are not cheap but PTO usually has some.

I don't know anything about black tack or Otto Schumacher.

You could also call Farmhouse Tack, www.farmhousetack.com (http://www.farmhousetack.com), they were having a sale on breeches recently and are very helpful, they could probably suggest something and their service is fast. Hopefully their bridles are on sale too. A friend got an Edgewood there for $125 because it had already been oiled but it was brand new.

GingerJumper
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:34 PM
Awesome! Thank you so much for your help! :)

pattnic
Jun. 6, 2011, 11:01 AM
You might also look at Ovation... they use the same leather as Edgewood, so their "Hazelnut" color oils to the same as Edgewood.

I would also suggest looking at Beval. Their horse size runs smaller than many other companies' horse size. My mare fits perfectly into a Beval cob, but *can* wear a Beval horse. Their Stamford bridle is a reddish-brown and is a fairly decent price.

vxf111
Jun. 6, 2011, 11:09 AM
You might also look at Ovation... they use the same leather as Edgewood, so their "Hazelnut" color oils to the same as Edgewood.

Wait, they do? Source!!?? I am curious!!!

vxf111
Jun. 6, 2011, 11:16 AM
Oh boy, good price and sounds right up your alley....

http://www.farmhousetack.com/servlet/the-2431/closeout-edgewood-bridle%2C-sale/Detail

bluebelle
Jun. 6, 2011, 11:22 AM
Would this work?

http://www.farmhousetack.com/servlet/the-2431/closeout-edgewood-bridle%2C-sale/Detail

Only $130 for an Edgewood bridle!

pattnic
Jun. 6, 2011, 12:06 PM
Wait, they do? Source!!?? I am curious!!!

Both now use Wickett & Craig... and my Ovation running attachment perfectly matches my Edgewood breastplate. ;) Because I don't often use laced reins, I plan on getting Ovation reins to go with my Edgewood bridle.

akhunterrider
Jun. 6, 2011, 03:10 PM
Five Star Tack's Symphony Bridle is normally $286, which includes reins. They are no longer doing the 40% off sale, but they are doing 25% off through the end of the month. I have a 16.1 hand TB (if you look on the figure 8 bridle suggestion thread, there are several pictures of him) and he wears the cob size, so I would definitely suggest that one. It's also a reddish color. I have an Amerigo Vega in Oakbark and it matches well. Otherwise the Ovation line in the hazelnut color is a reddish tone as well. You can get a bridle and reins for less than $200. The leather is nice on those as well.

GingerJumper
Jun. 6, 2011, 03:58 PM
Thanks guys! Looking into all of the above suggestions :)

It's good to know about the Ovation! I was always worried about what type of leather they used, having never seen it in person as there are no dealers nearby, but that's good to know :)

I'm also looking at a friend's Micklem that fit her horse (who's got a VERY petite head)... any experiences with those, good or bad?

Thanks so much again!

BAC
Jun. 6, 2011, 04:09 PM
Is the Micklem allowed by your pony club? I know several horses who have them, one whose movement is substantially better and the others who don't seem to have any noticeable difference between the Micklem and their regular bridles. I believe they make them in 2 grades of leather now, the ones I have seen were of very decent looking leather.

Regarding the Ovation bridles, I have seen some that were very very nice and others not so much, so I would try and see for yourself before you buy.

GingerJumper
Jun. 6, 2011, 04:12 PM
I've seen several people in Pony Club using them (the one in particular is from a PC'er friend who bought it and never used it, lol).

I've heard fantastic things about them, which is why I was looking.

BAC
Jun. 7, 2011, 10:06 AM

It turns out that this is only partially true, and a very misleading statement. I contacted JustBridles.com to verify because a friend is looking for reins to match her Edgewood headstall and was told that while Ovation's leather comes from Wickets and Craig as well, it is NOT the same leather. This was the response I received "Edgewood uses a much thicker hide that is a better grade, they also have different production and finishing techniques, quality of thread, and hardware." JustBridles.com did say that the colors are similar enough that for someone looking to save money it would be a good match colorwise.

GingerJumper
Jun. 7, 2011, 11:27 AM
It turns out that this is only partially true, and a very misleading statement. I contacted JustBridles.com to verify because a friend is looking for reins to match her Edgewood headstall and was told that while Ovation's leather comes from Wickets and Craig as well, it is NOT the same leather. This was the response I received "Edgewood uses a much thicker hide that is a better grade, they also have different production and finishing techniques, quality of thread, and hardware." JustBridles.com did say that the colors are similar enough that for someone looking to save money it would be a good match colorwise.

Good to know! Thanks! Was wondering about that too...

BAC
Jun. 7, 2011, 11:53 AM
Good to know! Thanks! Was wondering about that too...

Yes, manufacturers have leather in varying degrees of quality. Just as every bridle advertised as "Sedgewick" leather will not be equal in quality, the same is true of Wickets & Craig, etc.

GingerJumper
Jun. 7, 2011, 12:01 PM
That makes perfect sense! I mean, it's like how Under Armour has the cheap crummy stuff, or the super nice stuff. ;)

pattnic
Jun. 7, 2011, 12:16 PM

:eek: GASP! Thanks for clarifying... it makes so much more sense, now! But yes, color-wise, they will oil to close enough that someone like me can use Ovation instead to save money on infrequently-used pieces.

PS - I would amend my previous statement, but following posts might not make as much sense, so I am leaving it as-is... and will be more correct in the future. Definitely did not intend to mislead anyone!

amastrike
Jun. 7, 2011, 12:19 PM
http://www.smartpakequine.com/harwich-padded-fancy-stitch-bridle-by-smartpak-7215p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

Cob is in stock and on sale! Soooo tempting... If my mare's head will fit into a cob, I'm ordering one. I already have this bridle in full..

BAC
Jun. 7, 2011, 12:37 PM
:eek: GASP! Thanks for clarifying... it makes so much more sense, now! But yes, color-wise, they will oil to close enough that someone like me can use Ovation instead to save money on infrequently-used pieces.

Actually the Ovation reins would probably be a good alternative for my friend's Edgewood, except that unfortunately her bridle is plain raised and Ovation's raised reins are fancy stitched, the only plain ones they have are flat instead of raised, so neither will really match. I am not sure how much that matters to her, perhaps not at all.

PNWjumper
Jun. 7, 2011, 02:16 PM
I have the Americana bridle from one of the H-companies (I think...I always forget who made it, I want to say Harmon-Kroft, but I'm pretty sure it's the other one I always mix HK up with). I walked into a mobile tack shop at a show ready to drop some serious money on an expensive bridle, and the owner convinced me to buy the Americana instead. So I spent $200 instead of the $800+ I was prepared to spend. And she was right, the bridle is lovely and has held up to daily use for the last 3 or 4 years.

I have several Edgewoods and I love them too, but they run big (so you definitely could order a cob) and they have all stretched a lot. I also have a lovely CWD bridle and another expensive brand I'm blanking on at the moment. Both are gorgeous, but cost a lot of money, and I don't think I would spend that again knowing that I could get a bridle as nice as the Americana for so much less.