PDA

View Full Version : Figure Eight - for around $200

countrcanter
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:03 PM
Hello!

I am riding a jumper for the summer, and am looking for a decent quality, reasonably priced figure eight bridle. I'm willing to spend up to $250.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

vxf111
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:20 PM
Dover circuit is a decent bridle for that price range. I think Smartpak has models in that price range as well.

amastrike
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:21 PM
IMO you can't go wrong with the SmartPak brand tack. The Wellfleet figure eight is $230.

akhunterrider
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:25 PM
Wellfleet Figure 8 is very nice. I just bought Five Star Tack's American made leather figure 8 bridle (the Symphony). It isn't on their main site, but is on their dealer website (www.fivestartack.us). They are having a special promo through next week I believe to raise money for True Prospect Farm. Contact Jamie...she is awesome. I believe the 40% off extends to the Symphony bridles, as well as the more expensive Sedgewick bridles. Actually, if you do one of the Sedgewick bridles right now I think you can get one for around $250 with the 40% off. Reins and headstalls are priced separately through them in most cases.

T-storm chick
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:09 PM
Schneiders has a really nice figure-8 for $120 right now. I have one and love it. Nice soft leather from the get go, ear cut-outs, padded crown and figure-8, great stitching. Give it a try you won't be disappointed!
http://www.sstack.com/english_bridles_snaffle-/joseph-sterling-comfort-plus-hunt-bridle-with-figure-8/

GingerJumper
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:24 PM
HDR Figure 8's are great. Really nice quality, really low price.

OveroHunter
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:29 PM
*Zipping up fire retardent suit*

I didn't want to spend more than $75 on a figure 8 and bought an Ovation one. I took it completely apart and dunked the entire thing (excluding the fuzzy middle piece) in a bucket of Neatsfoot Oil for a couple of days... After that it was entirely too oily. Then one day, a month or so later, I got caught in a rain storm on a trail ride and rode through it for an hour with my figure 8. I hung it up to dry when I got home and sure enough, the next day the leather was the softest and nicest leather I had ever felt. I have $200+ bridles and NOW it feels just like them!

Yeah it was a freak thing, but it worked really well :D

GingerJumper
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:30 PM

I didn't want to spend more than $75 on a figure 8 and bought an Ovation one. I took it completely apart and dunked the entire thing (excluding the fuzzy middle piece) in a bucket of Neatsfoot Oil for a couple of days... After that it was entirely too oily. Then one day, a month or so later, I got caught in a rain storm on a trail ride and rode through it for an hour with my figure 8. I hung it up to dry when I got home and sure enough, the next day the leather was the softest and nicest leather I had ever felt. I have $200+ bridles and NOW it feels just like them!

Now, THAT, my friends, is brilliant. :yes:

forestergirl99
Jun. 3, 2011, 02:42 PM
I have a Bobby's English Tack fancy stitch figure 8. Love it with all my heart. I actually got it brand new on Ebay(<<< look there for good bridles!!) for about $80 but would have gladly paid over $200. It's gorgeous.

http://www.victorycanter.com/product.php?productid=23095

M. O'Connor
Jun. 3, 2011, 02:49 PM
Hmmm. I must be nuts.

When I want a figure eight bridle and I don't have any, I just switch the noseband.

When I want a nice peice of equipment I don't already own, I look around for used, and for a pittance can usually come up with something.

Try Middleburg Tack Exchange, among others, if this route appeals to you.

countrcanter
Jun. 3, 2011, 02:50 PM
Thanks for all of your replies! I've narrowed it down to Smartpak wellfleet, and Bobby's if I go the online route. Planning on stopping by my local tack shop to see what they have as well.

Forestergirl, do you know what color you got? I'm guessing havana is the darker one?

goodmorning
Jun. 3, 2011, 02:51 PM
Five Star Tack is having a 40% sale & is worth every penny (have to enter the code at checkout) - will bring the price below $200 and I own a bridle, halter, breastplate....quality tack :yes:

LulaBell
Jun. 3, 2011, 02:52 PM
forestergirl, it seems like a lot of sheepskin or whatever on the button...would it be easy to trim that down with scissors? Or not possible?

countrcanter
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:08 PM
This is my first foray into jumper land. I am a hunter gal through and through... and have always leaned to the more traditional/conservative side. But the 40% off and the look of these five star bridles have intrigued me and my irish self.

Are they acceptable at AA shows? Are they too flashy?

GingerJumper
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:15 PM
This is my first foray into jumper land. I am a hunter gal through and through... and have always leaned to the more traditional/conservative side. But the 40% off and the look of these five star bridles have intrigued me and my irish self.

Are they acceptable at AA shows? Are they too flashy?

It's jumpers, nothing's too flashy ;) said after showing a Silver Bay Varnish in the jumpers. haha.

LulaBell
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:26 PM
Wellfleet Figure 8 is very nice. I just bought Five Star Tack's American made leather figure 8 bridle (the Symphony). It isn't on their main site, but is on their dealer website (www.fivestartack.us). They are having a special promo through next week I believe to raise money for True Prospect Farm. Contact Jamie...she is awesome. I believe the 40% off extends to the Symphony bridles, as well as the more expensive Sedgewick bridles. Actually, if you do one of the Sedgewick bridles right now I think you can get one for around $250 with the 40% off. Reins and headstalls are priced separately through them in most cases.

Thanks, now I am obsessed with their breastplate! It is beautiful, and comes with a running attachment...drool.

http://www.fivestartack.us/prod_signaturebreastplate.asp

countrcanter
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:42 PM
I am in love with that breastplate as well Lulabell. So here is my dumb question of the day... Do you need a breastplate for a running martingale?

LulaBell
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:48 PM
Nope, you don't. You can also use a running martingale that is essentially the same as a standing, just changes between the donut and the bridle. But if you need some enabling...;)

Of course you need that breastplate too!

speculation07
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:48 PM
I can't seem to find the code anywhere on their sites for the 40% off who wouldn't want to save some $$$ and donate to a great cause I don't need anything but am always wanting something ;)

Nevermind found it!

Note: also blonde

akhunterrider
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:43 PM

Ovation's leather is very, very nice for the price. I have a couple of martingales of theirs and they are both very nice. They use the Wickett and Craig leather, which is the same leather that's used on the 5 Star Tack Symphony Bridle. Their Sedgewick bridles are even nicer I'm sure, though I haven't seen them in person. I wish I would have known about the 40% off coming up and I would have waited and bought one of those this week and it would have been about $20.00 more than what I paid. Oh well, I like the one I have and hindsight is 20/20, right? ;)

Here are some pictures of the Symphony bridle on my horse (this is before I oiled it):

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/unsouhait/saddles%20and%20tack/064.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/unsouhait/saddles%20and%20tack/060.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/unsouhait/saddles%20and%20tack/069.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/unsouhait/saddles%20and%20tack/068.jpg

forestergirl99
Jun. 3, 2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks for all of your replies! I've narrowed it down to Smartpak wellfleet, and Bobby's if I go the online route. Planning on stopping by my local tack shop to see what they have as well.

Forestergirl, do you know what color you got? I'm guessing havana is the darker one?

I'm not sure which color it was, but it is darker than the picture shown.

forestergirl99
Jun. 3, 2011, 05:42 PM
forestergirl, it seems like a lot of sheepskin or whatever on the button...would it be easy to trim that down with scissors? Or not possible?

Mine didn't actually have as much sheepskin as shown in the picture. It had, what I'd consider, the perfect amount. The picture looks as though it has a bunch of extra fluff, but mine has more padding(padding, padding. not fluff.) with a little fluff. However, should it end up having that much, I would say that trimming it would be possible.