PDA

View Full Version : What critter could have done this?

LauraKY
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:41 AM
This morning, I found my cat food container, which is a pool chemical bucket with a screw on lid, dragged from the tack room, laying in the barn aisle. I must not have completely screwed it down last night, the lid was off and half the bag eaten. I like to leave the tack room door open so my barn cat can do her job...not anymore.

I'm guessing raccoon. What do you think?

nickers@dawn
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:43 AM
Possums have been known to like a cat food midnight snack. ??

LauraKY
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:48 AM
Possums have been known to like a cat food midnight snack. ??

Crap. Guess I'll be locking the cat in the garage and setting a trap in the barn.

I don't leave any food out overnight, so at least that's a plus.l

nickers@dawn
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:54 AM
Though that would have to be one big hungry possum!! :eek: Maybe it was just a wandering dog.

ShotenStar
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:03 AM
I vote raccoon. They are quite strong and very ingenious when getting into things. My entire tackroom has been ransacked by raccoons in the past. I now have a padlock (really) on the cat food box and bungee cords on everything else.

*Star*

BabyGreen
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:04 AM
Possums are not good on figuring out how to open things or in dragging containers around. I'm thinking raccoon or skunk.

mitchfromtimco
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:06 AM
deffinately a coon

HydroPHILE
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:11 AM
I vote raccoon.

I used to have a cabin up in North Georgia as a year-round residence. Do any of you remember the raccoon duo from "The Great Outdoors" (with John Candy?) Yeah - we had THOSE raccoons. We had a koi fish pond out in front of the cabin, and we kept fish food in a plastic container on the deck.

My housemate at the time was dying leather reins back to their original color so she had split reins sitting in a rubbermaid tub of [non-toxic] black dye right next to the food container on the front porch. My bedroom window was on the side near it. I heard some noises, and when I peeked out of my window this is what I saw:

Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum sneaking up onto the deck. They both stuck their little paws in the dye, pulled them out, tasted it, and thought, "BLAGH!" They walked right through the container when they smelled fish food on the other side. Of course....that left raccoon stained paw prints on the wood. I watched Tweedle Dee pull the container down, work off its screwed lid, and start chowing down. However, Dee and Dum didn't just eat the fish food, they reached their little hands into the container (that was laying on its side,) pulled out the food, and then ate it.

We forever had black raccoon prints on our railing and deck so when we went to sell the cabin, told the prospective (who ended up being THE) owners the story, the wife chimed in and said, "oh I wouldn't change it at all! It gives the cabin character!"

ladybugred
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:17 AM
Hydro- cute story! I agree the PP give it character:yes:

Def a coon, oppossums can barely find their way out of a wet paper bag!

LBR

secretariat
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:22 AM
coon. they use their hands almost like a human, and they are relentless. Having problems with them now also. Only recourse is trap or 24/7 dogs.

red mares
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:26 AM
All I can say is..be glad they just like cat food. A couple got into my trainer's barn and got a hold of my tub of Fat Cat (nearly empty thank God) and another tub of something he'd bought (not so nearly empty:() I don't want to meet these well fed critters at night.

LauraKY
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:13 AM
Knowing that I no longer grow corn behind the barn because the raccoons would get it right before it was ready to pick, you're all probably right on the money. I haven't seen one able to open doors yet, so hopefully that will solve the problem.

2DogsFarm
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:07 PM
Like from the Pogo cartoons:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_pVCiTA86umk/SpQ9gXnsy4I/AAAAAAAABRI/LBXjYHyl5mY/s400/Walt+Kelly008.jpg

When I lived in Chicago I had a little "water feature" in my backyard planted with iris & some floaters.
Raccoons tore it up - not for the plants, but to wash whatever garbage they had found to eat.

In my barn I used to store the cat food in a plastic gallon container with a screw-on lid.
Found that on the floor one morning, all chewed up by the lid but not opened or broken into.
That must have been one PO'd coon
:mad: <iiiii>
nn

Since then the cat food lives in a galvanized pail with a bail holding the lid closed.

OlmosHeaven
Jun. 3, 2011, 06:29 PM
Having had raccoons manage to get tight bungee cords off of metal cans of cat food, I firmly believe that if they had opposable thumbs, mankind would be in serious trouble. :lol:

Elly Mae II
Jun. 3, 2011, 06:57 PM
My coon story: One night the house dogs started barking. I looked out and 2 coons had torn my rather large bird feeder off the tree branch. They were rolling it back and forth between them to get the sunflower seeds out.

ReSomething
Jun. 3, 2011, 07:01 PM
I vote for racoons too.

They can also squeeze into what looks like impossibly small spaces . I left my car windows down "a crack" one night and had food debris in the car, got up to go to work at oh dark thirty, opened the car door and scattered the racoon family cheerfully leaving greasy handprints on my steering wheel, upholstery and every other thing. I screamed, they ran around in circles, one got stuck in the cargo area and had to be chivvied out; what fun!

And we had to use two bungees on the trash cans in that neighborhood.

clanter
Jun. 3, 2011, 07:48 PM
we had a fox eating our cat's food

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b386/clanter/Picture126.jpg

LauraKY
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:23 PM
Tack room is locked! Figure that out, Mr. Raccoon. I don't leave cat food out at night anyway, so he's out of luck.

baysngreys
Jun. 4, 2011, 01:04 PM
We thought we had a stray dog hanging around. Put out a bowl of dog food for several nights, slowly bringing it closer to the house to catch the poor stray, starving doggy.
Finally one night we heard something and turned on the floodlights - very fat racoon hoovering down dog food, blinking in the light, staring at us!!

You've either got a coon or a Gremlin!