PDA

View Full Version : Help with Sizing/Ordering Monaco Ariat Tall Boots w/Zipper

Roomfor2
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:07 AM
Ok, so ready to order. Anyone give advice who bought new, on how much they will drop and how much they might stretch. I know, I did a search and find some info but not quite enough. Measurements, sitting down in chair from floor to back of knee is 15.5in and around the fastest part of calf is a little more than 13 in. Measurements of boots are:

Medium height (18") - Calf (regular is 13 3/4") slim is 13" calf.

Short height (calf is 13 3/4" and height is 17 1/4")

I believe medium height and slim calf. If they drop two inches that puts them at 16". Calf is perfect so hoping they don't stretch much.

Those of you who have bought new, what do you think?

Also, the zipper breaking thing is concerning. Are they putting newer thicker zippers in the boots now instead of replacing when they break?

Dapple Dawn Farm
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:26 AM
Unfortunately, Ariat has discontinued the Monaco line :(

klmck63
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:03 AM

I'm not sure that this is true, but there are plenty of them still out there in tack shops anyways.

I would say slim/short. If you're a little over 13" you should go for the 13" calf. They will stretch a bit and should be too tight when you first get them. These boots don't drop as much as other ones because of the slim fit. Certainly not two inches worth! So I would go for the shorter ones.

The newer zippers are definitely larger and tougher than the old ones, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

ponyhunter7870
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:08 AM

Wait, what?? Really? Are they going to replace it with another similar-quality boot? (well, I guess similar in looks, since I've heard a thing or to about the quality :lol:)

Rel6
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:56 AM

Why would they discontinue it? I see those shiny, sun reflecting silver tabs all. over. the. place.

Roomfor2
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:00 PM
So if they are discontinued what is everyone going to run out and buy. Always seem to be on the tail end of the trends. As soon as we purchase these they will be obsolete. Can't seem to keep up with the Jones (LOL). Anyway...the dropping part worries me because I have heard they could drop up to 2 inches. With a zipper? Really? So, you say they won't drop that much, shorts are 17 something. Sounds like short it should be but I swear a medium was tried on at the store and it was perfect. Too perfect for me as no room for drop. Maybe it was the short. There in lies the problem. Daughter is not anyway near a place to try on. Must order them now. If we order and it's perfect, we should send back due to the drop factor. If we order and it's way too tall and we wait for drop and then it doesn't we are scre... cause then they are worn. What to do, what to do...

PNWjumper
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:19 PM
I picked a pair up off of e-bay rather inexpensively and went with a "close" size to what I usually wear. It turned out that the half size up and shorter height were exactly what I needed. So my advice on the Monacos is as follows:

--they're taller than your average Ariat boot, so don't order "too tall" like you might with some of the other models. I had always worn a size 7 1/2 tall-full boot in the Crowne Pro model, but the 7 1/2 med-full Monaco was much taller than my Crownes and I'm glad I didn't order what I "normally" would have. I've been wearing them for a year now and they've only dropped as much as they had to in order to not fold over at the back of my knee.

--the foot size is different than their other boots. I always wear a 7 1/2 in Ariat boots (paddocks and talls). I ended up with size 8 Monaco tall boots and eventually bought myself (after trying on both sizes) size 8 Monaco paddock boots. They're just a hair snugger than other Ariat foot beds, so if you're in between sizes, go up. They're also way comfier than other Ariat boots, so it's well worth the difference!

I don't know what to tell you on stretching in calf size. I have a fairly standard calf size. I can't remember what it is offhand....14 1/2" maybe? I ordered the right size and the boots fit beautifully. They haven't stretched out to the point that they're too big, so I can't complain about that! I also bought the Monaco half chaps (best half chaps I've ever owned), and I ordered the small-med (or whatever is small calf/med height) and they were extremely tight when I got them (as in, I had to use baling twine to get them zipped), but now fit like a glove. So I guess I would say that you're better off ordering a hair too small than a hair too large if that's the choice you're faced with.

In regards to the zippers.....I got an older pair of the boots and they had a dress-like zipper in them. They broke after a year and Ariat replaced them immediately with a much beefier zipper. They use the heavier zipper in their half chaps, and from what I understood they also started using the beefier zipper in the newer Monaco models. But I don't know for sure, and it would be worth taking a look or asking customer care (if you're ordering online) to look for you. It's a pretty noticeable difference in that the old zippers literally looked like a zipper you would find in a dress and the new zippers are more like what you would expect to see in a boot.

Hope that helps! :)

kelsey97
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:51 PM
Monacos will stretch out in the calf. The first few times I wore mine I struggled to zip them up, now they zip easily and the fit is perfect. They don't drop as much as other boots, mine did not drop 2 inches. I measure almost 17 inches and the regular height is perfect for me.

silanac
Jun. 3, 2011, 02:28 PM
i still see them for sale in Dover shops and online. i got mine on Ebay after trying them on in store for $650. amazing!

they do not drop as much as other tall boots. they have a spanish topline on the outside of your leg that also makes your leg look longer (and skinnier).

they do stretch some. I got a slim calf and for the first 4 rides i was hurting. did not even zip all the way up to back of knee. but they stretched out just enough to be comfortable and not too loose. i did have to have someone zip them up as i bent knee forward for a while to get them on. rule of thumb i'd say is if you can get them on yourself first try, they are too big.

Across Sicily
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:24 PM
I was enamoured of these boots and decided to make a pair my own after finding some wicked discounts a week or so ago. My best advice... TRY THEM ON FIRST. I did and hated them, couldn't get them off fast enough - and I was dead set on getting myself a pair.

They do run 1/2-1 size small, I found; the footbed is tight in all respects. My foot is a bit wider and has a higher arch, apparently, than your typical foot. If your feet are remotely like mine you will want to try them on before taking the plunge... either that, or ensure you have a good return policy.

I am usually an 8 - 8 1/2 in pretty much all shoes/boots and my Challenge IIs are 8 1/2s and a bit big (but super comfy)... I tried the Monacos in a 9 and couldn't yank them off quickly enough. 9 1/2 was better, but not by much and certainly not enough to buy. The calf ran true in the 9s (full calf for me) and I was able to get them fully zipped and they were nice and snug. They made my leg look gooooood!

Interestingly, though, my old Challenges are Regular height and almost too tall, and the Monacos I tried were Talls and would have dropped just enough to fit properly. Either I grew or Ariat's sizing between the two are different.

End result, if you can find them close by to try, do it. Every boot in their line seems to fit a little differently.

dp1092
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:09 PM
What would happen if they discontinued it and the boot had a faulty zipper and break (not uncommon for Monacos)?

TrakeGirl
Jun. 4, 2011, 06:18 AM
When I was in Ocala in March, one of the tack stores said this boot was supposed to be the replacement to the Monaco or the "new pro" boot:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/ariat-quantum-crowne-pro-field-zip-boot-9415p.aspx?cm_mmc=paidfeeds-_-froogle-_-NA-_-19415

This one has a round toe - they have a square toe version that is supposed to be coming out later in the year.

I work part time at a local tack store (no tall boot is more than $220 that we carry) and I feel like the Monacos were still in their spring 2011 catalog available to be ordered, but maybe they are only selling what they have left in inventory and not restocking.

FWIW - for the Monaco and the Quantum Pro (which I now own), I would agree that if you can zip them all the way up the first time, they will be too big. I spent 2 weeks with them first only zipped half way...then up a little more...then up a little more...then once they zipped, another week in too tight agony (one bathtub method session when I got deseperate) and now they are fine. Not even a struggle to get them on.

I own the same size in the Challenge boots for schooling - the Quantum Pros are definitely an inch taller...more narrow in the calf. I could get the Challenges zipped right away, but was in too tight, pulse pumping agony for about a week with them too.

I am sure Ariat would honor replacing the zipper on existing Monacos within a year of purchase, even if they discontinue the line. They know they have a problem.

Brydelle Farm
Jun. 4, 2011, 08:36 PM
I would say slim/short. If you're a little over 13" you should go for the 13" calf. They will stretch a bit and should be too tight when you first get them. These boots don't drop as much as other ones because of the slim fit. Certainly not two inches worth!

Ditto! They break in fast and don't drop much more than 1/2-3/4". If they do drop a wee more, the spanish top will cover it up. I have a pair and client has 2 pair. She had the zipper in the first pair replaced with the "new" thicker zipper once those came out, Ariat did this at no charge.

I love mine. Another client has the top of the line Sergios, they are great! She is on the short side, and worked really well for her. They fit like a glove! BIG downside, they are made in Italy and shipped from there, so takes min 6 wks to get them, unless ur lucky and they have ur size in stock. Just a wee more costly than the monacos.

horsegal301
Jun. 4, 2011, 10:14 PM
The Monacos are in fact, NOT being discontinued. I've talked to 3 Ariat reps in the past week, since NuShoe lost my old monacos (SADFACE) and decied to send me a replacement pair in the same size. While talking to an ariat dealer over the phone today with my struggle to find the right size for an exchange, she said Ariat has continuously made this boot taller and slimmer.

The leather on the new ones I have is thicker, and the zipper is now a heavy duty zipper. They started replacing the zippers with heavy duty ones because of the breaking problem.

My dilemma? I'm 4'11" and have softball size calves! Maybe not that large, but my height is just above 15" and my calves are just below 15". I have a size 7 regular calf in medium height. Supposedly the calf is 13 3/8" but it felt more like 11-12" calf wise. I wear a size 6.5 in shoes, and my last monacos were size 7, and the ones I received as a replacement -- I could barely fit my feet in. They were incredibly uncomfortable at the top of my ankle where the lacing was. Instead of guessing what size I was, I called up an authorized dealer, and they're going to get a few sizes I might fit in so that I can try them on the right way. Don't order TOO tall, especially when you're short. My old regular mediums were so tall that they dropped at the ankle AND in the top since they were higher than the back of my knee because I'm a shorty. Something to think about. Your boots should only drop 3/4 - 1"...Mine barely dropped, maybe just 1/2 an inch. These boots are about as close to a nice custom fit as you can get without going semi custom, so make sure you do it right. They are definitely worth the price tag if you take care of them (just don't ride in them every day)

I would suggest going to an authorized dealer and trying them on (IN THAT MODEL, because they're SO different from the other boots).

As for the person who walked around with them halfway up, you're actually not supposed to do that since it puts pressure on the zipper teeth. They are also not supposed to fit in that "holy crap, I have no circulation in my leg" type of way.

They should be tight, but definitely not that tight, but I do agree it should be a small bit of a struggle to get them on the first couple times, but never, ever walk around with them or ride with them unless the zipper is all the way up to the top, you're asking for it to break. The elastic panel WILL stretch out quite a bit.

Also, if you did get a pair with older zippers or you zipper broke, a replacement for zippers doesn't cost that much. Just don't send them to NuShoe, LOL!

Roomfor2
Jun. 6, 2011, 02:38 PM
Thanks so much for all you input. Very insightful. So, sounds like she should order the short/slim. She isn't close to anything, nor does she have the time to drive the long distance to get to a tack store that is remotely close. I think she will order from SmartPac and hope they are right. If not, she can send them back and try another size.

LulaBell
Jun. 6, 2011, 02:52 PM
Anyone else have the Quantum Crowne Pros or whatever they are called? Admittedly I don't keep up with Ariat's new products, but I haven't heard of these. Anyone with Quantum Crowne Pro AND Monaco experience that can compare?

Sorry for being slightly off topic...thanks!

KingoftheRoad
Jul. 11, 2011, 02:12 PM
I apologize profusely for resurrecting this thread, but something in here caught my eye and almost made me gasp. Are you guys saying that the Monaco AND the Quantum Crowne Pros are running 1/2-1 size small??? As in, I wear a 7 in my Ariat Heritage paddock boots (just ordered within the last year), I would need a 7/12 or an 8 in either of these two field boots? Or is it only the Monaco that runs small?

This is EXTREMELY important for me to know, as I would love to have a pair of Ariat field boots, but the calf measurements for a size 7 have always been too small for me. But the the calf measurement if I go to a 7/12 or 8 would be dead on the money!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, if you answer yes, I'm going to be $500-800 poorer, but at least I would have field boots that might actually fit!!!!!!!

Please, someone, make my dreams come true!

PonyPenny
Jul. 11, 2011, 10:44 PM
I purchased the exact size that my daughter had in the Ariat Crownes. She wore a Size 7, slim calf, medium height. I bought them barely used on Ebay for $250.00. They were a little too tall at first, but now they are fine. The zipper broke on her Crowne's but I had them replaced with stronger zippers at a tack store. She takes both sets of boots with her when she shows just in case the Monaco's have a zipper problem or the weather is crappy. If it is raining or she does jumpers, she wears her Crowne's and saves the Monaco's for equitation and hunters.

Roomfor2
Jul. 12, 2011, 11:20 AM
The foot size runs larger. Daughter wears a 7 1/2 in regular Ariats. She needed an 8 in the Monacos. She ended up trying some on and wasn't really happy with the way the foot fit. She said not so comfortable.

seagull
Jul. 12, 2011, 11:30 AM
I think they run big - I am a solid size 8 and the 7.5 fits me perfectly. Same with another pair of Ariats I owned.

KingoftheRoad
Jul. 12, 2011, 11:33 AM
Is it just in the Monacos, or are the new Quantum Crowne Pros the same? And if I was a 6.5 regular/slim, I wouldn't be having such a hard time finding boots! :) At this rate, it's looking like I might be a 7.5 regular/wide. But I'd rather spend the less money for the Quantums if at all possible....

But I'm confused now, some people say they run larger, and some smaller. Wonder which it is......

kelsey97
Jul. 12, 2011, 11:33 AM
I would go up 1/2 size in the Monacos, the feet run narrow. I wear a size 6 in Grand Prix paddocks and a 5 1/2 in Ariats. My size 6 Monacos fit me perfectly. One of my boarders has them and went up 1 size to accommodate her feet. When you get them they are laced really tightly, loosen the laces a lot when you try them on and ride in them the first few times.

KingoftheRoad
Jul. 12, 2011, 03:00 PM
Laces? Don't they have elastic laces? How can you loosen them? Am I just being an idiot here?