PDA

View Full Version : H/J show puppies!

greenwoodeq
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:14 AM
The corgi has been the tried and true representative of the horse show dogs but I've been noticing a shift a the shows recently. More and more dachshunds are popping up out of the wood works (think people wanted something a little corgi lite). I am personally pushing for a trend of Alaskan Klee Kai as the new horse show dogs... What could be more horse showy than a miniature husky?! You may have already and will definitely see mine roaming about in Thermal, Spruce and Bend to name a few.
So what are your thoughts? Do corgis still reign or is some other breed stepping up to take the horse show world by storm?

alto
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:25 AM
What could be more horse showy than a miniature husky?! You may have already and will definitely see mine roaming about in Thermal, Spruce and Bend to name a few.

If you want off leash performance, don't buy a husky (even the littles) - their middle names are independent (I can think for myself Kthxbye!) & prey-drive - course any husky will have the Best Day Ever if there are a nice lot of dachshunds about :winkgrin:

Simbalism
Jun. 3, 2011, 02:22 AM
How about a mini australian shepherd? Smart, easy to train, and just the right size to be able to pick up. Plus they come in so many beautiful coat patterns.

Caoimhe
Jun. 3, 2011, 02:26 AM
Anyone thought of Swedish Vallhunds? I bet they would be AMAZING horse show dogs! They look like a German Shepherd/Corgi cross. :) Schipperkes aould also be pretty cool. All of the breeds I mentioned are nice and small.

My horse show dog is an Irish Wolfhound (imported from Holland as a pup), he is about the size of a small pony. He is great though, perfect for hanging out.

Lynnwood
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:08 AM
I"m voting for Carin Terrier whats cuter then Toto:winkgrin:

netg
Jun. 3, 2011, 05:59 AM
My horse show dog is an Irish Wolfhound (imported from Holland as a pup), he is about the size of a small pony. He is great though, perfect for hanging out.

I would like for an Irish Wolfhound or mix for my next dog. Current dogs were adopted while living on less property, but my Irish Wolfhound mix mutt was the best dog ever, and I'm told it was from that side of his breeding by trainers who showed them.

Current dogs lack any kind of natural horse sense my previous dogs have had when introduced to the horses. Though I love them dearly anyway, of course!

alliekat
Jun. 3, 2011, 06:11 AM
I"m voting for Carin Terrier whats cuter then Toto:winkgrin:

Love a Carin Terrier. We have boxers and think they make great farm/show dogs :)

bizbachfan
Jun. 3, 2011, 06:36 AM
Jack Russells have ruled for a long time as far as I am concerned. :)

copper1
Jun. 3, 2011, 07:44 AM
Rhodesian ridgebacks! Does the independance factor matter since all dogs are supposed to be on a leash?

fordtraktor
Jun. 3, 2011, 07:48 AM
Whatever's cutest from the pound! Won't purchase a dog, too many need homes.

Dapple Dawn Farm
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:01 AM
Jack Russells were the original and still are the horse show dogs of choice...IMHO...:yes:

Roomfor2
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:59 AM
I still think it will always be the jacks but I love me some aussies.

Sparky Boy
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:00 AM
Jack Russells have ruled for a long time as far as I am concerned. :)

Ditto!

kdriding
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:33 AM
My horse show dog is a Min Pin mix named Diva. She is just around 5 lbs, wicked smart, and savy about staying out of the way at the shows. She was a rescue we found on Petfinder.com. She is priceless!!! Putting my plug in for a rescue puppy vs. buying one......

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2051937776642&set=a.2051928936421.123278.1190436596&type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1236877181367&set=a.1236875741331.27236.1812370122&type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1236877141366&set=a.1236875741331.27236.1812370122&type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1236889981687&set=a.1236888741656.27237.1812370122&type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1772728164741&set=t.1190436596&type=1&theater

OveroHunter
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:37 AM
I'm all for the Australian Shepherds. I have Australian Cattle Dogs (Blue & Red Heelers) are also popular at Western shows.

I'll tell you what though, I have 2 purebred Aussies and an Australian Cattle Dog and Australian Shepherd cross, and that dog is the BEST farm dog... By far!

Maya01
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:12 AM
Rhodesian ridgebacks! Does the independance factor matter since all dogs are supposed to be on a leash?

Yes, because it is their ability to get off leash.

I wouldn't suggest or any double coated dog as there is nothing more obnoxious than trying to get little, staticy, fluffy hairs off of a black show jacket. Even if you keep the jacket as far away from the dog as possible, the hairs still magically appear. Besides, going to Thermal and all the hot southern shows, I would not suggest a double coated dog as they over heat easily.

Drop coated dogs don't shed - brilliant! My go-do canines are mostly in the terrier group, due to their intelligence to not get squished under the hooves of a horse (I am making a generalization here, they aren't all overly swift). For a small dog I would love a Lakeland Terrier, Westhiland Terriers, Norfolk/witch Terriers or an Irish Terrier, but for large, I would go to an Airedale. Irish Wolf Hounds and Lurchers are also stunning dogs if you want big.

witherbee
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:26 AM
Love the corgis (have one that I got at Ocala Winter 6 years ago!), but they can be kind of big. It's nice to be able to carry the dog as needed, although most of the real horse show people just tie them to the golf cart lol! My favorite "bring to show" dog is my blue merle chi - perfect size (he's a bit bigger than standard at 8 lbs), and is great on leash or to hold.

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/wtryan/Badger%20the%20Chihuahua/?action=view&current=Picture_037.jpg

He's a good farm dog too - very smart around the horses. Only problems with him are that he is not sweet to people (loves other dogs), but he does tolerate them, and I worry about him getting picked up by birds when he is off-leash at the farm!

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/wtryan/Badger%20the%20Chihuahua/

In general though, I do think Corgis have a great attitude to be horse show pets.

ParadoxFarm
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:35 AM
I actually second the ridgebacks. Great dogs (yes, independent, but trainable with consistent work!) and all the kids like to touch their "ridge". :)

Jumper_girl221
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:37 AM
I like my dachshund/Pekinese mutt. Compact, knows how to chill (unlike some jacks) and loves being around the horses. And the peke gives him enough hair that he's not quite as long as a bus (with minimal shedding). Plus he's got the endurance to run along side during trail rides, I've taken him on some 10/15 mile rides with no issues (probably doesn't hurt both behavior and fitness that he goes to work with hubby and runs around all day).

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/226211_550866184085_149402250_30913486_157435_n.jp g

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30920501&l=34c23696eb&id=149402250

and he knows how to relax
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30650720&l=8da2487689&id=149402250
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30524528&l=bbf7cb53f9&id=149402250

BAC
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:49 AM
I love almost any dog, especially mutts and pound dogs, but if I were picking one of the "horse show" breeds then the Pembrooke Corgi is my favorite. Many of the jacks I know are a PITA. ;)

ponyhunter7870
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:05 AM
I lovelovelove the look of Bull Terriers- so cute!
and I second mini australian shepards, another cutie.
But since I'm not allowed to have a dog, cute is my only factor.

PonyLady29
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:08 AM
Aussies are EVERYWHERE now a days every size imaginable, normal mini, and now toys are popping up crazy but they are really great dogs.

moonriverfarm
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:12 AM
Mine are a greyhound and a chihuahua. We get looks. :winkgrin:

Burbank
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:18 AM
since I have a western background my horseshow dog is half blue heeler half german shorthair, loves the horses but is respectful

though I would love either a min pin or a dane someday

lauriep
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:27 AM
How about the ONLY dog ever bred specifically to be around horses? The Dalmatian!!! I can attest that they truly have an affinity for horses. Easy care, a nice size and they love horses. Perfect!

Seal Harbor
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:27 AM
I've had a JRT, 2 Cairns, 3 Pembroke Welsh Corgis, and a GSD.

Dogs I've seen at horse shows, Aussies, ACDs, Whippets (funniest thing was one of my Cairns trying to play with said Whippets!), Ridgebacks, Rotties, Dobermans, Norwich terriers, Irish Wolfhounds, some bully breeds, Westies, Australian Terriers, and a couple of Bedlington Terriers (my ex husband thought someone had a lamb in their car at Saratoga one year).

JWB
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:31 AM
I show dogs and I show horses. When I show the horse, the dogs stay home. They don't like to have to stay tied up all day and I'm too busy to give them much attention.

I've never seen anyone take their horse to a dog show either. Just sayin...

witherbee
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:43 AM
I show dogs and I show horses. When I show the horse, the dogs stay home. They don't like to have to stay tied up all day and I'm too busy to give them much attention.

Sounds like the Dressage people lol! I LOVE taking my dog to a show if I am spectating, but do not take them if I am competing - too distracting for me to worry that he is cool, happy etc. If I had someone with me who was there to walk and watch him, I would take him. If I was at a several week's show like Ocala HITS, I would deffinitely want them with me. As long as the dogs are well behaved, it's one of the things I love about hunter shows.

Darden
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:55 PM
Beagles. Definitely beagles.

wcporter
Jun. 3, 2011, 02:02 PM
Anyone thought of Swedish Vallhunds? I bet they would be AMAZING horse show dogs! They look like a German Shepherd/Corgi cross. :)

OMG how do I get one of those?!!? Waaaay to cute! :D

Rockfish
Jun. 3, 2011, 02:42 PM
My weenie goes everywhere with me, horse shows are no different :D

Pirateer
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:07 PM
I love my beagle but she'd make a terrible horse show dog :)

My yellow labs are all great around horses. And perfectly comfortable a)sleeping all day or b) being petted by small girls.

Kryswyn
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:20 PM
If you think Carin terriers are cute you should try CAIRN terriers ;) You'll have a much easier time finding a reputable breeder if you spell it this way. :)

Mini HUSKIES???? And here all this time I've been blaming designer dogs, aka mutts on uneducated folks but if there are mini huskies about that means real breeders are going for the cash. Like the world needs a mini husky for anything other than pulling miniature dog sleds. Because just like a mini horse is still a HORSE, a mini husky is still a SLED DOG. Asshats. They're everywhere it seems.

Anne
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:40 PM
I agree with Kryswyn. As a vet I see dogs at their worst, and I have never met a Kleei Klai (or however you spell "mutt" these days) that I didn't think would bite me if given the chance.

allintexas
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:47 PM

I am fortunately seeing this trend more and more at the shows. Thanks goodness rescue dogs are becoming fashionable these days. Why buy a dog and (effectively) kill a shelter pup?

My three mixes are my favorite dogs I've ever had

Donkaloosa
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:01 PM
I love dogs, don't mind the well-behaved ones being at shows, and heavens knows I've gotten to cuddle some adorable puppies at shows! It just worries me that too many people let the dogs run loose --- sometimes not even a collar or tag of any kind. They could be stolen, run off, get trampled by horses or people, who knows? I've only taken one of my dogs to a horse show (and she did NOT like it) --- I always seem to have too many other things to do than worry about the dog!

Jumper_girl221
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:01 PM
I love my beagle but she'd make a terrible horse show dog :)

My yellow labs are all great around horses. And perfectly comfortable a)sleeping all day or b) being petted by small girls.

I have a beagle as well, but wouldn't bring her to a show either. She overheats easily, and is a bit timid around strangers.

Jumpthemoon16
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:06 PM
Rescue pups all the way! I will never buy a dog from a breeder - they have purebred rescues too! We've had our rescue (Lab/Border mix) for seven years now and she's been the best dog ever. Period. She doesn't look like much of a horse show pup but she's quiet, relaxed and respectful around them and loves to visit people at shows.

Lynnwood
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:43 PM
Love the corgis (have one that I got at Ocala Winter 6 years ago!), but they can be kind of big. It's nice to be able to carry the dog as needed, although most of the real horse show people just tie them to the golf cart lol! My favorite "bring to show" dog is my blue merle chi - perfect size (he's a bit bigger than standard at 8 lbs), and is great on leash or to hold.

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/wtryan/Badger%20the%20Chihuahua/?action=view&current=Picture_037.jpg

He's a good farm dog too - very smart around the horses. Only problems with him are that he is not sweet to people (loves other dogs), but he does tolerate them, and I worry about him getting picked up by birds when he is off-leash at the farm!

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/wtryan/Badger%20the%20Chihuahua/

In general though, I do think Corgis have a great attitude to be horse show pets.

He is just adorable my 5 year old and I are in the throws of a which kind new puppy battle I've always had GSD's and they will always be my go to heart dog but they are not very portable my current old man is 95lbs to be matter of fact people at shows are afraid of them. So we are looking into something smaller she wants a Chi so bad and I really want a Cairn ....sigh.

Seal Harbor
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:53 PM
He is just adorable my 5 year old and I are in the throws of a which kind new puppy battle I've always had GSD's and they will always be my go to heart dog but they are not very portable my current old man is 95lbs to be matter of fact people at shows are afraid of them. So we are looking into something smaller she wants a Chi so bad and I really want a Cairn ....sigh.
Total compromise.
Get a Norfolk or a Norwich terrier. Pocket sized, terrier 'tude and cute as buttons.

Lynnwood
Jun. 3, 2011, 07:10 PM
Total compromise.
Get a Norfolk or a Norwich terrier. Pocket sized, terrier 'tude and cute as buttons.

:lol: Have you ever tried to compromise with a 5 year old. We went to the local ACO to look there first and the FIRST thing she said was "MOMMY THESE ARE NOT CHIHUAHUA PUPPIES :mad:" She is like a terrier when she sents to her mind to things... although Norwich puppies are ADORABLE !

jewll27
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:09 PM
I am a german shepard lover at heart, always will be. My most favorite dog of all time was a GS/golden retriver mix-smart as a whip, easy to train, and never left your side. He was giant though but I'd take him anyday over any other dog, no matter how cute they are.

I see a lot french bulldogs as well...

Bravestrom
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:12 PM
great dane all the way -

here is a pic of ours as a puppy - but he is going to his first gold dressage show tomorrow.

http://www.prospectequinefarms.com/images/odin/100-0097_IMG.JPG

danceronice
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:28 PM

That's where my Pembroke came from--but she's too fussy and nosy to be a good show dog! I've never had trouble coming up with secondhand dogs.

Mimi La Rue
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:29 PM
I have 3 pugs. Two fawns and one black one. They are great at the barn but I usually only bring one down at a time. Three is quite the handful.

Caoimhe
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:37 PM
Irish Wolfhounds all the way! Can't beat em if you want the biggest, most magnificent breed. It is said the souls of ancient Irish warriors live in them, that is why their eye's are so human like. :) Anyways, Auggie is perfect, he loves people but also has a protective side. The photo below is him at 6 months. Already gorgeous. (Don't mind his ears, he was looking at something. :D)

He is going to his first (dog) show later this Summer. Auggie is also great with horses, gives them their space and doesn't chase them.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/arabiancowgirl/DSC_0026.jpg

billiebob
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:07 PM
I love Cairns but mine only goes to horse shows to spectate (he's got selective hearing so off leash is a no go :lol:). They're incredibly sturdy little dogs and low maintenance in the grooming department. My Cairn is very good around horses and likes all the attention people give him at shows. He knows he's cute :D

Here's the little guy, enjoying some off leash time because there was 3' of snow on the ground (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2503330950105464652jWQVqT)

LulaBell
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:57 PM
I'm planning on adopting a greyhound in the next year or so - can anyone chime in about their experiences with them?

Caoimhe
Jun. 4, 2011, 12:03 AM
Greyhounds are AMAZING dogs. I absolutely love the breed. They are generally couch potatoes in the house, but are totally willing to get up and go for a daily walk run. :D They are also very elegant and dignified, as well as sensitive. So harsh training does not work with them (they will shut down). All of the greyhounds I have met have been very well behaved.

The only thing to remember is they have lots of prey drive, so small dogs, rabbits, little animals are generally going to be more at risk because of their drive. Luckily they are easy to handle so it would not be to much of a worry for me.

jetsmom
Jun. 4, 2011, 12:09 AM
I'm planning on adopting a greyhound in the next year or so - can anyone chime in about their experiences with them?

Big couch potatoes that actually make good apartment dogs. Calm and will just chill out with their owner, but can easily do more athletic activities like jogging. Not normally barky type dogs. Just don't let them off leash. Some ex racers retain a prey drive towards small animals.

gottagrey
Jun. 4, 2011, 12:09 AM
Border terriers or PBGV's but w/ the PBGV's can have the hound in them take over so need to be on a lease

LulaBell
Jun. 4, 2011, 12:17 AM
Thanks Caoimhe and jetsmom. I've been researching the breed for a little over a year now and have been set on them for awhile. I'm planning on starting school again this fall, so I think a grey would be just about perfect! I've read a fair amount about some of them being super sensitive or super shy and responding to fear with biting, that's my main concern. I guess I need to specify to the adoption agency that I really would like a more outgoing dog. Biting is the one thing for me that is a deal breaker.

DarkStarrx
Jun. 4, 2011, 12:31 AM
I take my Shiba Inu hehe...certainly can't let THAT off of the leash though...ever haha

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v361/95/26/691066688/n691066688_1343090_7448.jpg

We just took in a Catahoula Leopard Dog as a foster. He's been excellent around the horses(as soon as we taught him it was NOT okay to herd them).

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/216018_10150177140226689_691066688_7212510_490307_ n.jpg

CadieEstes
Jun. 4, 2011, 01:24 AM
Not just Pugs, "Bugs!" My Bug is also named Bug (: Bug= Boston Terrier x Pug.

GREAT mix, cute pug look, awesome Boston manners, best dog I've ever had.

Seal Harbor
Jun. 4, 2011, 01:49 AM
:lol: Have you ever tried to compromise with a 5 year old. We went to the local ACO to look there first and the FIRST thing she said was "MOMMY THESE ARE NOT CHIHUAHUA PUPPIES :mad:" She is like a terrier when she sents to her mind to things... although Norwich puppies are ADORABLE !

No can't say that I have. I feel for you. I loved both my Cairns, they were fun, but I love my Corgis and my GSD. I'm down to two dogs, one Corgi and the GSD, Corgi is 14 and GSD is 10 this year.

Between the terriers and the herding dogs I would need my own kennel if I could collect all the ones I adore.

Can you reason with her? Chi's can be nippy, and they are a lot more fragile than a terrier. Well I guess reasoning with a 5 year old is probably the same exercise in futility as trying to compromise with them. :lol:

jack07
Jun. 4, 2011, 06:23 AM
Hunt Terriers ,the original black and tan jack russells.

MyssMyst
Jun. 4, 2011, 10:24 AM
No can't say that I have. I feel for you. I loved both my Cairns, they were fun, but I love my Corgis and my GSD. I'm down to two dogs, one Corgi and the GSD, Corgi is 14 and GSD is 10 this year.

Between the terriers and the herding dogs I would need my own kennel if I could collect all the ones I adore.

Can you reason with her? Chi's can be nippy, and they are a lot more fragile than a terrier. Well I guess reasoning with a 5 year old is probably the same exercise in futility as trying to compromise with them. :lol:

Yup! Reasoning and compromise are concepts completely unknown to 5 year olds!

GotGait
Jun. 4, 2011, 10:40 AM
I take my Shiba Inu hehe...certainly can't let THAT off of the leash though...ever haha

Yay, someone else with one! Mine does not go to horse shows. I can't even imagine the perfect storm of awful.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Jun. 4, 2011, 10:54 AM
How about a mini australian shepherd? Smart, easy to train, and just the right size to be able to pick up. Plus they come in so many beautiful coat patterns.

Yes yes. Mine is a super horse show pup. She just hates the car to get there. Poor pup.

Mini Aussie (http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab109/SmileItLooksGoodOnYou_2010/MeiMei/DSC_0016.jpg)

Everyone loves her and she's been so easy to train. I just hate that she gets so worked up about car rides and I end up leaving her home lots of the time.

englishcowgirl
Jun. 4, 2011, 01:22 PM
I have a wired haired Pointing griffon, that loves to go to shows and be around the horses. They are probably the best "unknown" breed out there. She loves the horses and can go out on all day trail rides, but is still happy camped out next to the horse trailer all day. No bark, friendly with everyone and other dogs. Great house dog and companion, just need to make sure she gets a walk everyday! Plus, no one I have ever met has one :D

Wholehearted
Jun. 4, 2011, 01:47 PM
That is the prettiest Chi I've ever seen!

DarkStarrx
Jun. 4, 2011, 06:58 PM
Yay, someone else with one! Mine does not go to horse shows. I can't even imagine the perfect storm of awful.

hahaah I only had her too a few when she was an itty bitty baby. Now...yea I doubt that would go so well.

clearound
Jun. 4, 2011, 09:35 PM
She was a rescue we found on Petfinder.com. She is priceless!!! Putting my plug in for a rescue puppy vs. buying one......

I second that!

sdlbredfan
Jun. 4, 2011, 09:36 PM

Yes, double ditto.

greenwoodeq
Jun. 5, 2011, 04:40 PM
Sounds like the Dressage people lol! I LOVE taking my dog to a show if I am spectating, but do not take them if I am competing - too distracting for me to worry that he is cool, happy etc. If I had someone with me who was there to walk and watch him, I would take him. If I was at a several week's show like Ocala HITS, I would deffinitely want them with me. As long as the dogs are well behaved, it's one of the things I love about hunter shows.

I love bringing my dogs to the shows too watch, but when I'm competing that's when i have my very well trained horseshow boyfriend to keep the pups entertained and content haha.

LetItBe
Jun. 5, 2011, 05:19 PM
How about the ONLY dog ever bred specifically to be around horses? The Dalmatian!!! I can attest that they truly have an affinity for horses. Easy care, a nice size and they love horses. Perfect!

I've got to second Lauriep on the Dalmatian and also say YES we do take horses to dog shows where Dalmatians are concerned!

Here is a picture of my boy Cubby earning his Road Dog title.
http://www.abbeyroaddals.com/images/cubbytrotrt.jpg

All my dogs have a RD title and I might get the new RDCH (Road Dog Champion) or RDX (Road Dog Excellent) on my new girl Emma.

LetItBe

Darden
Jun. 5, 2011, 10:34 PM
My beagle is perfect at shows. Sleeps in the stall when I am cleaning tack, etc. Hangs at the ring (in the shade with water) while I'm warming up and showing, and loves people. I don't take him in the heat - he stays home - but it sounds like I'm pretty lucky!

I got him from the pound...

Horseshowaddict
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:37 PM
My Greyhound was the best dog EVER! A fantastic pet, and loved people so so so much. I didnt take her and leave her at shows, she was also a bit big to make transporting easy. Sadly, she passed away about 3 years ago.

So what did I do? I got a whippet. Shes a fantastic horse show/barn dog.

time fault
Jun. 6, 2011, 12:55 AM
Blonde Corgi/Papillon! She rocks!

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/197910_10150447623835314_832310313_17665224_595061 4_n.jpg