PDA

View Full Version : ponies and 18+ riders

StrawberryFields
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:59 PM
Why can't adults show ponies in rated shows? I never got the chance to own a pony! Not fair! Im only 5'1".... think anyone would notice?? :cool: in all seriousness...why not? Is it only A shows that you can't?

ExJumper
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:01 AM
Sure you can. You just can't go in Pony classes, which are only for juniors.

greenwoodeq
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:02 AM
Why can't adults show ponies in rated shows? I never got the chance to own a pony! Not fair! Im only 5'1".... think anyone would notice?? :cool: in all seriousness...why not? Is it only A shows that you can't?
I completely sympathize! I never had a pony as a child... I went straight to horses and though I love my big guys ponies are just so flipping cute and spunky! If I can train the little guys I want to show them too!

StrawberryFields
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:02 AM
So...what kind of classes would I be able to show in?

PaintPony
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:03 AM
Adults CAN show poines in rated shows, just not in pony divisions.

I showed my pony in the Adults while I was in college, and a friend of mine showed a pony in the Ch/A jumpers.

greenwoodeq
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:31 AM
I think they should create a new pony division entirely... "Pony Jumper Wannabes" It will be filled with the over 18's and the ponies they couldn't afford as children or grew out of before purchases could be made. I would like nothing more than to see a bunch of women on little ponies... and heck why not throw in some giant children's hunter hair bows while we're at it. ;)

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:52 AM
I think they should create a new pony division entirely... "Pony Jumper Wannabes" It will be filled with the over 18's and the ponies they couldn't afford as children or grew out of before purchases could be made. I would like nothing more than to see a bunch of women on little ponies... and heck why not throw in some giant children's hunter hair bows while we're at it. ;)

Can we petition USEF for this?! I have a medium green that I would dearly love to show myself. I'm 5'8 though and we're a comical picture. I only have this pony as a training project because I could never have a pony as a child.

For Your Entertainment. (http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab109/SmileItLooksGoodOnYou_2010/Reese/Reese-16.jpg)

Rel6
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:57 AM
I think usef should make a general "adults on ponies" class. You tell them ahead of time if your doing it jumper style or hunter style, and they split the class accordingly. :lol:

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:10 AM
COTH needs a "Like" button. ^^

StrawberryFields
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:19 AM
Agreed! I like that idea! And smile...ur pony is cute!!!! They really should make an "adults on pony hunters or jumpers" classes!! It would be such a riot and fun too! Not to mention a good excuse to own a little cute monster of my own!

SarahandSam
Jun. 3, 2011, 06:46 AM
I want an adults on ponies class! I didn't get my first pony 'til I was 24...

hluing
Jun. 3, 2011, 07:05 AM
Sounds good...I too never got a pony as a child and now I breed them;)

copper1
Jun. 3, 2011, 07:42 AM
Don't hurt me you all BUT: The Arabians have a pony division that is open to all, adults, pros, kids, ammys. Despite what ymany of you feel about the breed in general, these little guys can jump and move and many do have sufficient step and many of todays top ponies do have Arab blood in them! Arab shows do have rated hunter judges officating and the ponies are expected to go just as any pony on the hunter circuit. Check us out sometime!

Trixie
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:13 AM
Oooh! I just got one to play with also. Because I'm reliving my childhood, of course. Isn't she precious (http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2377/13082095/23280148/397077452.jpg)?

(Ignore the furryness, it was Feb and that was the first day she got to our farm)

And yes - you CAN show your pony. You may just get beaten by a horse that is better equipped to do the strides.

morganpony86
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:16 AM
So...what kind of classes would I be able to show in?

I've shown my 2 ponies in lots of classes at "A" and "B" shows as an adult. Amateur hunters, all the various unrated limit/low/non-TB hunters, and jumpers up through 3'3". Neither were carded as ponies, though; I don't know if that makes a difference (they are 14.1/14.2 respectively).

spaceagejuliet
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:37 AM
Adults on Ponies is brilliant.
Someones gotta at least do it at a winter series.
Adults on Shaggy Ponies!

Mine is 15.x... but I'm 6 ft. Can I still participate?
I can touch my toes under him bareback.
Thats gotta count for something.

StrawberryFields
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:52 PM
^ hahaha yes that counts!!!

caradino
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:55 PM
I would be ALL OVER an adults on ponies division!!

I am 25. My pony is 14.1. Let's do this!

And yes, you can show your pony in any division that is NOT a pony division. :)

bizbachfan
Jun. 3, 2011, 05:36 PM
I am 43 and I have two ponies that I want to show!

Here is the 14.2 one who is only 4 but so much fun!!!!

http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b405/bizbach/M4H004481.jpg

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Jun. 3, 2011, 05:55 PM
Adults on Ponies is brilliant.
Someones gotta at least do it at a winter series.
Adults on Shaggy Ponies!

Mine is 15.x... but I'm 6 ft. Can I still participate?
I can touch my toes under him bareback.
Thats gotta count for something.

LMAO. I can touch my toes under mine with a saddle on!

And the Welsh shows have adult classes as well! I'm actually thinking of taking my little girl because they're cheap miles and I don't have to throw her into a new situation with a new pilot as well.

Tamsin
Jun. 3, 2011, 06:19 PM
I am 43 and I have two ponies that I want to show!

Here is the 14.2 one who is only 4 but so much fun!!!!

http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b405/bizbach/M4H004481.jpg

Aww, that's a cute Haffie. Adults do everything on ponies and honies at Haflinger shows--jumping, dressage, western, trail, driving. Sometimes all activities on the same pony ;-). Very fun times.

horsegal301
Jun. 3, 2011, 06:35 PM
Wish they could make a pony jumpers - adult version. I'm 23, 4'11" and have a 13.3 pony that I would love to ride in it with!

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Jun. 3, 2011, 06:40 PM
Wish they could make a pony jumpers - adult version. I'm 23, 4'11" and have a 13.3 pony that I would love to ride in it with!

Maybe I need to hire you to ride mine. I'm clearly a bit tall for her.

bizbachfan
Jun. 3, 2011, 07:08 PM
My other pony (okay not actually mine but I ride her like she is) is just under 13.2 (I am 5'4") She would be great at jumpers but.......I also think she could do well at very beginner (tadpole) level eventing. She can clear 3 foot with incredible ease. Have not tried higher as of yet. She stops at nothing. These are baby jumps for her.

what do you think of her?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXrnRYLVdjw

pardon the very rusty equitation!!! I have not ridden other than trails for the most part for 25 years.

bizbachfan
Jun. 3, 2011, 07:16 PM
Aww, that's a cute Haffie. Adults do everything on ponies and honies at Haflinger shows--jumping, dressage, western, trail, driving. Sometimes all activities on the same pony ;-). Very fun times.

Have to find myself a Haflinger show:)

tamarak_equestrian
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:32 PM
I would die for an Adult Pony Hunter division lol. I still have my large pony from when I was a junior and he's the only horse/pony I never miss on lol but he's getting on in years, I couldn't ask him to do the regular adults. I'd give anything to show him in the ponies again. Not to mention it would make putting show miles on my green ponies much easier lol. When I was 12 and 5'2", I prayed I wouldn't grow so I could ride ponies forever... now I'm turning 23, still 5'2", and realizing being short was really only a benefit until I aged out lol.

HowDoILook
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:51 PM
I live vicariously through my trainers daughter and show her medium and large ponies in the modified/pre-adults all the time!

I also had my large pony through my first adult year and showed him consistently in the A/A's and even dabbled in the A/O's. Let me tell you that people look at you funny when you come to the ring on your pony, but they look even funnier when your pony beats all there horses :)

IveGotRhythm
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:01 PM
I would be happy if ponies adding strides didn't count against you when you show against horses twice their size.

quicksilverponies
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:25 PM
Yes! As a pony breeder, I often have young ponies that need show mileage, but are not quite ready for a kid to show. I need a 2 ft division (so they don't break their green status) that an adult can show in.

spacytracy
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:41 PM
I have a 14.1 pony that is my only riding horse and I WISH they had Adult Pony divisions. How much FUN would that be!!!

I love my pony. He gets the horse strides most of the time and I would love to show more. But its hard to show, even for fun, when you know you have no chance in the hunter divisions against the big horses. I do some eq classes and the jumpers, but that's about it.

I agree, if a pony adds a stride it should not count against you when the strides are set for a horse.

Funny story - my first dressage show I took him in, he was 3, we did an intro test. At the end of the test, the judge gives me my critiques, and then says "He's a very cute pony honey, but someday you'll outgrow him.". I just smiled and said "ok". I was not absorbing what she was saying at the time.

I was 25 years old at the time. My husband heard her, looked at my friend and said "I think she's done growing".

Clearly the judge thought I was like 12. I get told I look young alot but this was stretching it a bit. lol

Arelle
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:59 PM
I show mine! :lol: The only problem I've encountered is that our bobbles seem to be judged harsher under some judges when I'm in a class with young kids.

My pony was green this year and while we're now schooling 2'9'', we started in a winter series doing the 18''. Never finished in the ribbons but have worked our way up and at our first rated show, we got second in the first hunter (blew a lead in the second). ;)

She's for sale, but I'll be totally honest and say if I don't sell her by the end of the year - I wouldn't be disappointed.

Demi on the Flat (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=37754929&l=c3b35308e0&id=18813694)
Video Still over Fences (http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/208240_1977618398619_1187899929_2376479_6955864_n. jpg)

Hinderella
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:32 PM
I'm a relatively ancient 49, and I LOVE my 14.1 red pony mare! i don't show now, but I might be tempted if there was an adult pony division. I know I could show against horses, but 1) I'm not that good ;) and 2) I agree with others that it's unfair (and really makes no sense) to expect a 14.1 pony to make the same strides as a 17 hand warmblood.

Perfect Pony
Jun. 4, 2011, 10:01 AM
I am 40 years old, 5'6" and am currently riding a pony. I have no plans to try to show around here at any H/J shows, there's no doubt I'd be laughed out of the place. It would be cool though if there were pony classes open to adults. I really enjoy riding a pony and how much easier it is to own a pony vs a horse. There are quite a few people starting to ride ponies at the dressage and eventing shows, so that's the direction I am going in.

Pretty cool to see how many other adults are enjoying their ponies :)

NiQi
Jun. 4, 2011, 12:42 PM
Here's another vote. Id be happy if it was an AAonP class. Id rather not ride against thet pros quite yet.

Someone needs to email this thread to USEF! :)

bizbachfan
Jun. 4, 2011, 01:55 PM
:
Here's another vote. Id be happy if it was an AAonP class. Id rather not ride against thet pros quite yet.

Someone needs to email this thread to USEF! :)

AGREE!!!:D:)

AllyandPete
Jun. 4, 2011, 08:23 PM
I would LOVE an adult on pony class!!!!!!

I ride a large wenchy pony at my barn and I would love to show her :) Other than her horrible pony-tude she is what every little girl dreams of (at least what I dreamed of)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=520489244695&set=a.502546417265.2000873.147400460&type=1&theater

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Jun. 4, 2011, 08:31 PM
I would LOVE an adult on pony class!!!!!!

I ride a large wenchy pony at my barn and I would love to show her :) Other than her horrible pony-tude she is what every little girl dreams of (at least what I dreamed of)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=519323336185&set=a.524260856355.2029831.147400460&type=1&theater

I can't see your pic :-(

AllyandPete
Jun. 4, 2011, 09:03 PM
I can't see your pic :-(

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=520489244695&set=a.502546417265.2000873.147400460&type=1&theater

fixed :)

and here is the other one that I never actually ride, but sit on sometimes haha

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=515196666065&set=a.502546417265.2000873.147400460&type=1&theater

Doubleeez
Jun. 4, 2011, 09:08 PM
Years ago, way back in the 70's the New York Horse and Pony Show offered a division - Pony Hunter, Adult to Ride. It was a blast and drew 15 entries that first year. Unfortunately, that first year was the last year for the division. The AHSA Pony Hunter Copmmittee was highly incensed that the division was offered and banned it from being offered again. Their reasoning: Ponies are for children !! Now, it's almost forty years later and maybe it's time to try it again because it sounds like there are enough of you 18+ out there that would enjoy showing in it. Talk to show managements and ask if they would offer the division.

bizbachfan
Jun. 4, 2011, 09:20 PM
Years ago, way back in the 70's the New York Horse and Pony Show offered a division - Pony Hunter, Adult to Ride. It was a blast and drew 15 entries that first year. Unfortunately, that first year was the last year for the division. The AHSA Pony Hunter Copmmittee was highly incensed that the division was offered and banned it from being offered again. Their reasoning: Ponies are for children !! Now, it's almost forty years later and maybe it's time to try it again because it sounds like there are enough of you 18+ out there that would enjoy showing in it. Talk to show managements and ask if they would offer the division.

the time is now!

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Jun. 4, 2011, 09:37 PM

Ponies are for kids?! What kind of nonsense is that? :eek: I'm planning on riding my little one in some local shows in open divisions, but I'll be asking at some of the big shows.

Maybe as a special class rather than a division it would have merit... like a trainer equitation class, rotating rider, ride and drive, etc. Pony/Adult classic, at the standard heights per pony size. Market it like a fun class, offer a little prize money (maybe even a winner takes all) and a cheap entry, or do it as a super cheap entry for braggin rights and a little trophy...

I feel like it wouldn't stick as a serious thing, but if it were presented as a fun class it might have some pulling power.

Thoughts?

horsegal301
Jun. 4, 2011, 10:24 PM

YES PLEASE! Especially since it's so close to me =)

This is me and my little POA last summer (disregard those horrid elbows, we're past that stage now LOL)

http://i.imgur.com/Te2Jw.png

copper1
Jun. 5, 2011, 08:06 AM
I don't know how USEF works as far as asking for a new division but I would guess one would have to approach either the pony or the hunter committee with a well drafted proposal, complete with rules on adding an adult pony division. (will it be open to all adults or just ammys? any restrictions on the pony's skill or size?suitability of rider, etc) There are many adults who are small in stature who do not want to ride hulking great warmbloods or have a super nice pony that they want to show against it's peers that would love an AAP division. Someone needs to step up and organize everyone to draft this proposal and send it on with lots of signatures of USEF members. Wouldn't hurt to encourage your local shows to add this to their class list and to be able to show USEF that it is worthy of consideration. Might take a year or two but I think you all can do it!

kayteedee
Jun. 5, 2011, 10:39 AM
Count me in on any petition. I have a terrific pony for my kids who I'd love to show myself as they haven't caught the bug yet...

I'm confused, I used to show ponies for Molly Butler (may she RIP) as an adult 20 years ago... we did go to big A hunter shows, and the classes were 2'9" for mediums and 3' for larges... but it was so long ago I don't remember the name of the classes. Maybe Open Working Hunter Pony? Have these open classes been done away with?

MyssMyst
Jun. 5, 2011, 10:45 AM
I have no business drafting rules, but I'd be happy to sign the petition!

wildhorse188
Jun. 5, 2011, 10:53 AM
I don't currently have a pony or know anything about drafting rules, but some day I will be totally in for a pony division if it exists! I will definitely sign a petition if I can as well.

Pixie0304
Jun. 5, 2011, 12:15 PM
I am so happy I am not the only one out there who is in their 23yrs + and stand in the 5' :D
when I did my passport about ten years ago, the people measured me wrong, so I always thought I was about 1m60 ( about 5'3 ? ) everyone was telling me it wasnot possible as they were themselves 5'4 or 5'5 and I would not reach them... anyway, I had to renew my passport last year, and realized everyone was right.. they did measured me wrong and I am only 5' ... :lol: or maybe I shrank?

the point is, I am the right size when it comes to riding, training, breaking ponies, but I cant show any of them.. well not in the division we would like it to be.
and when I was taking lessons, I was directly put on horses , never got lessons on ponies. and never own a pony.:( I wish I will someday because my 5' has not change for 11 years and probably will never change, dont get me wrong, I love riding horses, but it is fun to ride ponies as well, especially when you dont need a mounting block to get on them :D

SpringPaddocks
Jun. 5, 2011, 02:35 PM
I would love to do this too! Please count me in for a signature on the petition. I'm so happy just riding ponies now, it would be wonderful to show some of them myself.

bizbachfan
Jun. 5, 2011, 02:38 PM
Sounds like we have lots of interest but just need to actually create a petition of some sort.

greenwoodeq
Jun. 5, 2011, 07:22 PM
I'll for sure sign, but I would make an absolute mess drafting the petition. Maybe someone can talk to HITS and it can follow their "road to the mil" competitions and be like the opening act or something haha. I simply have to ask and have it added to a couple of local shows around me now.

SarahandSam
Jun. 6, 2011, 06:31 AM

fixed :)

and here is the other one that I never actually ride, but sit on sometimes haha

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=515196666065&set=a.502546417265.2000873.147400460&type=1&theater

I want to show Honeybear in the Adults-On-Ponies division...

copper1
Jun. 6, 2011, 07:12 AM
Talk amongst yourselves and get a volunteer person who knows PEOPLE who can get the ball rolling. I will be happy to sign a petition for you but I don't show hunter shows enough to be a good go to person.
There are a ton of people on here who do show a lot and do know the rules well and would be able to word a petition/proposal for you. Seems also that there are a lot of peopel who do want to show ponies despite having aged out.
good luck!

Hinderella
Jun. 6, 2011, 11:06 AM
Maybe the place to start is at the schooling shows and "B" shows. Less to organize, perhaps no need for petitions, but show organizers can see how many riders turn out. If there's enough enthusiasm, it will be easier to move on to a fully organized division.

I think the Adults on Ponies division should be at the end of the day, followed by wine & cheese!

StrawberryFields
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:24 PM
how can we get this started? seriously? I'm searching for ponies for sale......it has begun! LOL!

MyssMyst
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:36 PM
how can we get this started? seriously? I'm searching for ponies for sale......it has begun! LOL!

I know! There is a super cute one that I'm keeping my eye on.

StrawberryFields
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:42 PM
^uh-oh!

Troispony
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:53 PM
I would LOVE that! I won't age out till next year but there is the most adorable 10++ moving small green at my barn that is the most fun to ride in the whole barn and all I want to do is show him in the green pony hunters and qualify for pony finals as I never got to when I actually fit on smalls!

Well, I shared this plan with trainer who scoffed at me and is now searching desperately for a good pony jock that won't look as ridiculous as we 5'6" girls that hack him do.

I think I will just have to scrape together enough $$ to buy him for myself and bring him in the horse divisions next year- he has the step and the jump to do it!

SunkenMeadow
Jun. 8, 2011, 03:42 PM
Ponies are the Prius of the Horse Show World. :)

tamarak_equestrian
Jun. 8, 2011, 10:27 PM
I think the Adults on Ponies division should be at the end of the day, followed by wine & cheese!
I like the way you think :yes:

Kareen
Jun. 9, 2011, 02:35 AM
Totally agree. Everybody should have at least one pony and there's no reason why adults with the right body measures shouldn't show ponies?

copper1
Jun. 9, 2011, 07:09 AM
Well if a wine and cheese party isn't available, how about a bottle of wine as the trophy?
Pony adults: make it your mission to get YOUR local show to add the division and get the class out there into the world first, THEN you can approach USEF with a viable thing.

bear necessities
Jun. 9, 2011, 08:54 PM
I had my pony, moved onto big hunter horses and got my amazing pony back! I have no shame in being 22 and owning a 14.2H ponykins, Bear is freakin' awesome!! I get compliments on him all the time and we regularly place in the Adults and eq classes, he's got a big stride and is super cute! (I half think we have an advantage because everyone looks at us "little pair" as we walk into the ring, and the judge remembers us! :) just sayin...)

mortebella
Jun. 9, 2011, 10:58 PM

I can give you a rationale/talking point: everyone wants good, safe, made, been there-done that ponies for their children, right? We all know such ponies are worth their weight in gold, right? Well, where do such ponies come from? Do "schoolmaster" ponies, ultimate packers, get that way from being ridden by children who are just learning to ride? ??? How many more of these priceless ponies could be developed if adults had an incentive to get out there and ride them...

I haven't read this whole thread, so somebody could've already made this point...apologies if so...it's past my bedtime <blush>

ElementFarm
Jun. 10, 2011, 05:22 AM
All, couldn't agree more! I have shown my big bodied Medium in local shows in the adult classes, and while she's been leased most of the last 10 years by a wide spectrum of kids, I still love to ride her, even if I don't get to show her.

Pictures: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1010031415115.2001841.1354874626&l=91f62f66a1

I have two horses (one's a 17.2hh hanoverian) but at 5.0 even, I'm most comfortable on my welsh. I can even get on her from the ground :) Add me to the petition to have an adult-on-ponies division!

ReeseTheBeast
Jun. 10, 2011, 07:14 AM
count me in for any petition! I miss my pony days.... *sigh*

findeight
Jun. 10, 2011, 09:36 AM
Of those of you who show Ponies in the Adults...how many would be willing to support the Adult on Pony class if USEF offered it? Would you haul to the shows?

Probably need to have at least 10 on a regular basis at every show that offers it if you get it started locally to get the show managers interested-and, face it, that is what decides what gets offered, whatever the show management can make money off of.

Right now adults can ride Ponies in the Adults and that is what the USEF/USHJA is going to say. There is even a relatively new exception that an Adult may show it in a breed restricted class and the kid can show it in the Ponies.

I am not arguing here, just asking if you and enough others are willing to get in the trailer and fill it of it gets offered.

Doubleeez
Jun. 10, 2011, 06:20 PM
If enough of you are interested in the formation of a division/class for adults on ponies, I would think the way to go about it would be to create it and then find as many managers who would put it in their schedules. Forget USEF/USHJA - if the classes are successful, they will grab at it, just as they did with the Children's and Adult Amateur classes.
This brings back a lot of fond memories and I would be happy to get the ball rolling on some sort of class(es) that adults could ride ponies in, other than what is now already offered. First though, let's find out just how much interest there is and where the interested parties are located. PM me and let me know what part of the country you're in and how many and what size ponies you have to show.

crazyhorses
Jun. 11, 2011, 04:50 AM
If I wasn't 5'11" and giant looking on my 14hh pony I would totally be game! However, I would sign something to get a class like this!

Artie
Jun. 11, 2011, 09:16 AM
I just saw this thread but count me in!! I have 2 mediums and a large who I would take. We're in Virginia and love the welsh shows but they are just too far away sometimes.

DarkStarrx
Jun. 11, 2011, 10:45 AM
Would their be height and weight restrictions such as Pony Club? Though I find the task of actually weighing the girls at Pony Club rallys disgusting...just wondering how we would protect the ponies welfare?

I love the idea! I never got to show the ponies as a child, and now there is an adorable medium at the barn I just adore riding...

SarahandSam
Jun. 11, 2011, 11:31 AM
Would their be height and weight restrictions such as Pony Club? Though I find the task of actually weighing the girls at Pony Club rallys disgusting...just wondering how we would protect the ponies welfare?

I love the idea! I never got to show the ponies as a child, and now there is an adorable medium at the barn I just adore riding...

I would imagine suitability should be part of the judging... so while there wouldn't be someone there weighing folks as they mounted up, I would think that people would learn that someone who's 6'2" and 300 lbs and riding a small isn't going to place...

I would love to have something to aim for... I'm just doing crossrails on my pony now, but this would give me something to work toward. (:

S A McKee
Jun. 11, 2011, 12:59 PM
For those that think a new division is needed:
What would the division specifications be set at?
If it's a 3' section then there are already USEF rated classes available as Go Fish mentioned.
Is the goal a division with the same hence heights as the regular pony divisions or the childrens pony divisions?
Or is it an 18" x rail division?
Hunter division or Jumper division?

If the specifications are too low there is little chance of USEF creating a division.

Perhaps another way to approach it would be to get your local show associations to add these classes to their awards program for a year or two and see if the statistics support a USEF rating. Or even get a show series to add rhem as an unrated division and see what happens.

Doubleeez
Jun. 11, 2011, 06:15 PM
So far, I've only heard back from one individual who has a large pony and is in Eastern PA. Are there more of you out there that really want to show ponies? If so, PM me and let me know what you have and what part of the country you are in. Or, if you wish, e-mail me directly at Doubleeez@aol.com. Add your e-mail address too, so I can get back to you directly.

Doubleeez
Jun. 13, 2011, 11:07 AM
No more responses over the week-end so maybe there is not the interest for adults on ponies classes that we thought. It would be very dificult to get a management to run such classes if they couldn't be shown that there was interest in them. Will keep looking for more responses and post again if we receive any.

LetsGoXC
Jun. 13, 2011, 12:01 PM
Opening up the Pony Jumper division to AA's is probably the easiest thing for horse show management and the USEF to do rather than opening up a whole other section. It would also give pony stallions a place to be shown. On the west coast it would help fill a class that is often canceled.

A few of the schooling shows in my area offer a Pony Jumper class. They run them as Jr/AA classes, and whattayaknow - the ONLY people that ever ride in that class are AA's. The kids already have a full dance card with the Pony Hunters, the Pony Medal and an equitation division. The general attitude by the kids is that Pony Jumpers is one class in a whole different ring, with no high point or championship offered for the day, so why bother?

At the national level, I think there would have to be some soul-searching, but either keeping Pony Jumper Finals as a Juniors only thing or making a pony section of Young Riders, if Finals were opened up to all ages, would be an acceptable compromise for the "Ponies are for kids" crowd.

findeight
Jun. 13, 2011, 12:34 PM
Opening up the Pony Jumper division to AA's is probably the easiest thing for horse show management and the USEF to do rather than opening up a whole other section... or making a pony section of Young Riders, if Finals were opened up to all ages, would be an acceptable compromise for the "Ponies are for kids" crowd.

Ummm...not really. Number one, AAs can already ride a Pony in the Jumpers and a Pony Section for Young Riders....??? YRs are 1.4m+ and IIRC 21 years and under and there would be no way any height or striding modifications would be considered. (Please don't name Stroller as a reason to do so-if you can come up with 3 or 4 at 14.2 and under currently competing in the Junior Jumpers, that would count. A British pony dead now for 50 years does not).

Open up the Pony Finals Jumpers to adults???? PF is for aimed for and geared to kids and the families that bring them. Kids take the center stage, leave it to them.

Plus, it seems most who say they would support Adults on Ponies are talking Hunters, not Jumpers. Also seems most that say they want it or to work towards it are not prepared to hitch up and go to the expense of a USEF rated to show in it-and there is nothing wrong with that. But it does not support any real interest in offering it unless they can prove enough people will pay money and haul to the rated shows to compete.

Hinderella
Jun. 13, 2011, 12:41 PM
I'm guessing that there are really two groups responding to this thread. One group is the people who would like to compete in A or AA shows, who would travel to shows on a regular basis, and probably have experience in the show world. The other group would be the people like me, older adults who have no aspirations for "big time" shows, but would like the opportunity to compete against other adults who have only limited time and resources to devot to showing and would be competing just for fun (hence the wine and cheese suggestion).
Perhaps the lack of responses to Doubleeez indicates that there are more riders in group #2? And if so, is it worthwhile for show organizers to run such a class? After all, they'd get entry fees.

SunkenMeadow
Jun. 13, 2011, 12:50 PM
I agree, the place to start this is locally. As (and IF) it gains in popularity perhaps more and more show managers would take notice.

I really do like the wine & cheese award idea. Can we drink before we jump? I have heard it settles your nerves ;)

Jumper_girl221
Jun. 13, 2011, 12:56 PM
I think that would be a definate option on the local level...and then play it by ear (maybe make an exception that's 15.1 and under? but set on pony strides to include the honies?). In any case, thats what the jumpers are for, you can go in and out-turn the other adults on their 16H horses ;)

I prayed as a child that I'd stay short, but God didn't listen (probably having 5'10" and 6'2" parents didn't help). I still cram myself on my ponies if I can think up a good enough excuse...

5'10" me, 13.3 h pony in the jumpers.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30812063&l=c8fff57f65&id=149402250
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30812066&l=10b4a6004f&id=149402250

Yes...I know, I look redic, but I cant get any kids out to ride, and how else am I gonna get miles on a green pony? That was her first over fences show :)

findeight
Jun. 13, 2011, 12:57 PM

This is the original post. Specifically about USEF rateds.
Incidentally, there is NO rule forbidding Adults from riding Ponies in many classes-just that a kid cannot then ride the Pony in a Pony class.

However, there is no consideration in striding or fence height/width for the height of the entry. I'm thinking that is what keeps many out-they cannot perform to the class standard so they want a new class geared to the smaller animal.

Hey, if in your area there is alot of interest (and by interest I mean people who WILL actually go to the show-to show, not spectate) in some kid of Adult Pony class??? Ask your local club/show manager/whoever puts on the show to add one in. See what happens.

But on that national level??? I just don't think there are enough small Adults that own Ponies willing to pay for a USEF rated class and assorted other fees then commit to haul all year to be sure it fills.

S A McKee
Jun. 13, 2011, 01:46 PM
I think that would be a definate option on the local level...and then play it by ear (maybe make an exception that's 15.1 and under? but set on pony strides to include the honies?). In any case, thats what the jumpers are for, you can go in and out-turn the other adults on their 16H horses ;)

There is already a small hunter division scheduled for next year although I'm not positive the final specs have been worked out. It ay be limited to 15.2 and under so there's your USEF approved hony division.

Not you but this annoys me. Small junior hunters can get around a 3'6" course on horse strides so why keep dumbing things down. Why should a horse go around on Pony strides?
Or is the point of these threads to create divisions for horses that are not competitive in any other section, rated or not?

Adults can and do show ponies in AA jumpers and I've seen them in classes up to Level 5.
Same thing is true for AA Hunters. Adults do show ponies in this division.

bizbachfan
Jun. 13, 2011, 02:24 PM
So far, I've only heard back from one individual who has a large pony and is in Eastern PA. Are there more of you out there that really want to show ponies? If so, PM me and let me know what you have and what part of the country you are in. Or, if you wish, e-mail me directly at Doubleeez@aol.com. Add your e-mail address too, so I can get back to you directly.

I hadn't this thread for a few days will pm you.

mvb
Jun. 15, 2011, 12:45 AM
Personally, a small hunter division would make my day. My Escapade filly at 3 is somehow only 15.1 and it's breaking my heart. Her dam was 16.0 and Escapade is 16.2 1/2. Ugh. She's to die for other in a small package. Which is fine for me I am 5'3".
I also have a welsh pony I would love to show!

There is already a small hunter division scheduled for next year although I'm not positive the final specs have been worked out. It ay be limited to 15.2 and under so there's your USEF approved hony division.

Not you but this annoys me. Small junior hunters can get around a 3'6" course on horse strides so why keep dumbing things down. Why should a horse go around on Pony strides?
Or is the point of these threads to create divisions for horses that are not competitive in any other section, rated or not?

Adults can and do show ponies in AA jumpers and I've seen them in classes up to Level 5.
Same thing is true for AA Hunters. Adults do show ponies in this division.

kichiri_kachiri
Jun. 15, 2011, 05:48 PM
Glad to know I'm not the only adult with a pony who wants to show her in pony classes... Abeit I'm 19, just under 5', and my pony is 14.1-1/2 LOL

: D

Doubleeez
Jun. 16, 2011, 10:33 AM
MVB & Kichiri_Kachiri
PM me and let me know what size ponies you have and what part of the country you are in. We're trying to see where all the adult pony riders are to figure whether we can put something together for some class(es)/division in a show. Either PM me or e-mail me directly at Doubleeez@aol.com.