PDA

View Full Version : Large Pony Price

LockeMeadows
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:37 PM
Not going to say if I'm looking or selling.

Pony is 6-10 years old, top of the line large (USEF card at 14.1 1/2), gelding. Blues at USEF shows in Large Greens. Can get down the lines easily. Kick-along beginner type. Good mover. Never going to model. Right now ponies are priced all over the place. What is something like this selling for before cash exchanges hands?

keepthelegend
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:50 AM
So much depends on it's overall quality. Is it going to be a real large in 2012? Can it win in the large division at AA shows? The very best ones or the average ones?Large green division really doesn't matter so the price will be based on whether he will become a children's pony, a single A large, a midwest AA large, or a the best AA large. Age, height, temperment all sound great.

LockeMeadows
Jun. 4, 2011, 01:02 PM
So much depends on it's overall quality. Is it going to be a real large in 2012? Can it win in the large division at AA shows? The very best ones or the average ones?Large green division really doesn't matter so the price will be based on whether he will become a children's pony, a single A large, a midwest AA large, or a the best AA large. Age, height, temperment all sound great.

Pony is safe enough for Chrildrens Pony and has won ribbons in the locals at several big shows, as well as the stakes class at a Year-End show. He jumps a "10" every time, but is an odd color (don't want to add anymore because people may know the pony). Not the type of pony to ribbon at the Pony Finals, but nice enough to do the "A"s in the Larges at some smaller A shows. Good move-up type for a kid coming off a Medium and moving up to the larges that needs a safe packer as they get their feet wet at 3'.

LulaBell
Jun. 4, 2011, 01:16 PM
I feel like "odd" color doesn't matter much with ponies, but I guess it might more so with larges than with smalls or mediums. From your first description I was thinking midwest A or AA large pony hunter. Considering that I've seen current large greens qualified for pony finals that will get a piece of the model (at least at the smaller shows) for about $40-$50k, I'm thinking maybe $30-$35? But safety is always valued...but maybe a smidge less so with a large as the kids tend to be older and more competent.

These are just my musings!

Summit Springs Farm
Jun. 4, 2011, 01:19 PM
Pony is safe enough for Chrildrens Pony and has won ribbons in the locals at several big shows, as well as the stakes class at a Year-End show. He jumps a "10" every time, but is an odd color (don't want to add anymore because people may know the pony). Not the type of pony to ribbon at the Pony Finals, but nice enough to do the "A"s in the Larges at some smaller A shows. Good move-up type for a kid coming off a Medium and moving up to the larges that needs a safe packer as they get their feet wet at 3'.

You answered alot of my queation with this post^^.
6-10 years old- positive, increase price.
top of the line-positive, increase price.
ribbon at locals or "A"s- not going to increase price, decrease price. no big deal it can ribbon there.
get down the lines- increase price
beginner type- big pluse, increase price,( ie. wait for a trainer with a kid that NEEDS a beginner pony to get increased price.) they WILL pay!
good mover- whatever same price
not model- decrease price
odd color and no PF big decrease in price.

Bottom line with ponies these days you HAVE to find the right fit to get great money, can be done, we sold one for
3$,$$$ plus with zero milage, never been to a rated show, but was exactly what the kid needed and a nice pony;)!!

keepthelegend
Jun. 4, 2011, 02:02 PM
5 yrs ago I would have priced this pony in the 30-35k range.....basically the big winner children's pony that can do the larges at some shows and give the kid 3 foot experience and some ribbons. These days it seems to be a tougher market and I would think 20 -25k.

findeight
Jun. 4, 2011, 02:25 PM
Are you buying/selling a division Pony for smaller A and B shows that is safe enough for Childrens or are you selling a Children's Pony/Short Stirrup Pony that can do a little of the regular division??? Makes a difference in the price point. The former would be better quality and a little more, the latter, a more common type, a little less.

Does it have any points in USEF rated divisions besides the Green points (which, meaning no disrespect, are not that hard to get) now that he is no longer eligible Green?

I'm thinking between 10 and 20k.

LockeMeadows
Jun. 4, 2011, 04:32 PM
Are you buying/selling a division Pony for smaller A and B shows that is safe enough for Childrens or are you selling a Children's Pony/Short Stirrup Pony that can do a little of the regular division??? Makes a difference in the price point. The former would be better quality and a little more, the latter, a more common type, a little less.

Does it have any points in USEF rated divisions besides the Green points (which, meaning no disrespect, are not that hard to get) now that he is no longer eligible Green?

I'm thinking between 10 and 20k.

Nice enough to do the regular larges and pin in good company at the A's. Not a pony that will win at Devon/WEF/Harrisburg, but doesn't have a 6-digit price tag. Quiet enough though for complete beginner or very timid rider so could easily be a very expensive SS pony. Trying to find a fair price before vetting.

laughATTACK
Jun. 4, 2011, 04:40 PM
If it's the pony I'm thinking it is - I would say it would be fair that his price is between 10k-20k. I don't know him personally, but I have seen him go in person. He seems safe and dependable, and is capable of going to a smaller A show and being competitive, although I wouldn't say he's always going to be the winner. He's also, as you've said, not the sort of pony who is fancy enough to go play with the big dogs.

findeight
Jun. 4, 2011, 09:17 PM
...Not a pony that will win at Devon/WEF/Harrisburg, but doesn't have a 6-digit price tag.

Don't kid yourself, some of those don't have a 6 digit price tag anymore either. 5 years ago? Yeah. Now? Nope. Unless it's a legendary marquee name Pony? It's just like the rest suffering considerable drops in valuation when presented for sale.