PDA

View Full Version : making a pony smaller for measuring?

myponyismywings
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:18 PM
I have heard you can make a pony smaller for measuring. How? I am trying to go to the 2013 ponyfinals with my pony, and do large greens, but im afraid she isnt a pony anymore. She just turned five this spring and is a appendix/arab cross grade pony. Any tips??:confused:

Rel6
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:39 PM
I have heard you can make a pony smaller for measuring. How? I am trying to go to the 2013 ponyfinals with my pony, and do large greens, but im afraid she isnt a pony anymore. She just turned five this spring and is a appendix/arab cross grade pony. Any tips??:confused:

a) search and you will find other people asking this question, and other people getting SLAMMED for asking this question.

b) I'm going to sound completely snotty and I'm gearing up for a flame suit but...most "appendix/arab cross grade pony"s are not going to be competitive at pony finals in the large pony hunters (even in greens). I say most, because there are always exceptions. If your pony can jump 3'3'' cleanly, I'd shoot for pony jumpers if you have you heart seat on pony finals (if your pony is, in fact, a pony.)

myponyismywings
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:49 PM
she places first consistintly in the 2'6" divisions with 18 other competitors. Breeding doesnt matter. I would appreciate it if you would answer my question instead of critiqing me, and being downright rude. Thanks.

Meredith Clark
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:53 PM
The Television Room is home to Wonka's latest invention, Television Chocolate, which he hopes to use to quickly send chocolate to houses all over the world. This device dematerializes a giant bar of chocolate, then sends it through the air in a million pieces to subsequently be reconstructed (in shrunken form) on a specially designed television set. The bar can then be taken from the screen and consumed. At Wonka's behest, Charlie takes the newly shrunken bar. Mike Teavee, who initially thought the chocolate was just a picture, is amazed at this new discovery, and sends himself through the television system, resulting in him being shrunken down to no more than an inch high

mroades
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:54 PM
if your pony is only 5 and isn't a pony anymore, you will have a hard time making it smaller.
And large greens is 2'9" and set on pony distances, not horse adds. If your pony somehow is able to stay a pony through next year and it can do the step, jump in good style, do lead changes, and get sown the lines...then go for it!!

seeuatx
Well you can try. People have plenty of methods to do so, some of which can be downright torturous (feet cut back, tacks in the measure stick). But even if you manage to sneak your hony in just barely under the top line mark, it won't stop someone from being able to protest you anytime you step into a show ring. You could be sent directly to the measure peoples and if pony doesn't squeak through that time you are screwed. Better to play by the rules.

In the meantime, why don't you measure the hony to see what you actually have instead of playing with the possibilities.

nickers@dawn
Cocktails anyone??

myponyismywings
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:59 PM
i do know what the hight of the jumps are, thank you. she is capaple of taking pony or horse strides, whichever i ask for. she jumps great, has leads, and is a wonderful mover. all i want to know if there was anything i could do (shave withers, trim feet, etc) to make her smaller.

nickers@dawn
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:00 PM
Maybe you could shave your troll beard? :eek:

AliCat
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:01 PM
Do I smell popcorn burning?

horsegurl
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:06 PM
Listen, myponyismywings.....
The measures trainers or owners or whomever takes to "make their pony smaller" only works incrementally, like 1/32 of an inch, or maybe 1/16th. If you are already concerned about your "pony" not measuring...the other posters are correct--give it up. There are other "finals" you can target for.
And consider that some of those items that "make ponies smaller", are bordering on overuse and even abuse.

Sorry charly. There's better opportunity out there for you without risking hurting your beloved pony.

myponyismywings
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:08 PM
Listen, myponyismywings.....
The measures trainers or owners or whomever takes to "make their pony smaller" only works incrementally, like 1/32 of an inch, or maybe 1/16th. If you are already concerned about your "pony" not measuring...the other posters are correct--give it up. There are other "finals" you can target for.
And consider that some of those items that "make ponies smaller", are bordering on overuse and even abuse.

Sorry charly. There's better opportunity out there for you without risking hurting your beloved pony.

i was hoping for, perhaps, a NON ABUSIVE suggestion?

hntrjmprpro45
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:10 PM
You won't make your pony smaller but you can do things to make sure you get the best measurement possible.

1) lunge your pony for 10 min beforehand so that is relaxed when they measure. Most/many stewards strongly encourage this because it will make their jobs easier. Even the most level headed ponies will see that stick coming and go all bug-eyed and jump around on their tippy-toes.

2) choose a show that falls on a date right after the farrier has trimmed your pony. Personally I don't think you should do anything extreme but timing it in your favor is fair game.

3) I don't think shaving whithers will make any difference. If your pony measures out to be a horse, well then accept that fact and show in the horse divisions.

horsegurl
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:11 PM
Soooorrrrryyyy!!! You're getting good answers and sarcastic answers that are telling you that you are trying to do the impossible. Time to start listening to us. If it was possible to do, you'd have gotten the answer--and everyone would be doing it. And you'd be facing my ultra fancy 16.2 (trimmed to 13.2) A/O gelding.

seeuatx
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:12 PM
You can try clipping the hair down, practice getting pony super relaxed so they don't puff up, etc. but they won't help with a major change. You probably won't even get an 1/16th difference in height unless pony is really good at puffing up when measured.

myponyismywings
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:14 PM
You won't make your pony smaller but you can do things to make sure you get the best measurement possible.

1) lunge your pony for 10 min beforehand so that is relaxed when they measure. Most/many stewards strongly encourage this because it will make their jobs easier. Even the most level headed ponies will see that stick coming and go all bug-eyed and jump around on their tippy-toes.

2) choose a show that falls on a date right after the farrier has trimmed your pony. Personally I don't think you should do anything extreme but timing it in your favor is fair game.

3) I don't think shaving whithers will make any difference. If your pony measures out to be a horse, well then accept that fact and show in the horse divisions.

THANK YOU, you are the first person to give me a mature answer.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:14 PM

This. Solid answer that doesn't get into anything dangerous for pony.

If pony wears shoes and can go without them without pain, that may help the measurement cause as well.

greenwoodeq
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:16 PM
I know a lot of people pull shoes when they get their ponies officially measured and hire professional handlers to try and get the pony to have a relaxed frame while being measured. A well turned out pony with proper braids and a clean shave can also pull their height down by just the smallest bit. This will only help if your pony is right on the cusp of being a large though. Don't cut their feet shorter than normal or do anything drastic it really won't help and can only harm them.

I recommend measuring your pony now and seeing where they stand before looking for ways to get them in under the line. Maybe you won't have to do anything and everything will work out fine.

Just on a side note... good for you for standing up for your pony and not falling to breed hype. There are fancy, sweet, and amazing horses in unexpected places not just in highly sought after bloodlines.

myponyismywings
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:17 PM
Soooorrrrryyyy!!! You're getting good answers and sarcastic answers that are telling you that you are trying to do the impossible. Time to start listening to us. If it was possible to do, you'd have gotten the answer--and everyone would be doing it. And you'd be facing my ultra fancy 16.2 (trimmed to 13.2) A/O gelding.

you are aware that you do not need to have a smarty little remark everytime someone says something, right? obviosly if she was that tall i wouldnt be asking this. but she is only slightly taller than 14.2 i belive. please keep your comments to yourself unless they are helpful. and not rude.

myponyismywings
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:19 PM
I know a lot of people pull shoes when they get their ponies officially measured and hire professional handlers to try and get the pony to have a relaxed frame while being measured. A well turned out pony with proper braids and a clean shave can also pull their height down by just the smallest bit. This will only help if your pony is right on the cusp of being a large though. Don't cut their feet shorter than normal or do anything drastic it really won't help and can only harm them.

I recommend measuring your pony now and seeing where they stand before looking for ways to get them in under the line. Maybe you won't have to do anything and everything will work out fine.

Just on a side note... good for you for standing up for your pony and not falling to breed hype. There are fancy, sweet, and amazing horses in unexpected places not just in highly sought after bloodlines.

thank you (: we get a lot of hate just bcause she isnt purebred welsh or whatever.....she deserves bettter recognition

AliCat
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:24 PM
you are aware that you do not need to have a smarty little remark everytime someone says something, right? obviosly if she was that tall i wouldnt be asking this. but she is only slightly taller than 14.2 i belive. please keep your comments to yourself unless they are helpful. and not rude.

I understand that you are new here, but you haven't exactly painted yourself as a ray of sunshine.

If you want serious responses, ignore the ones that you deem inappropriate. No need to get defensive or call anyone else out. Forums can get a bit tense sometimes as words on a screen do not translate as well as spoken words.

Good luck with your pony/horse. There are lots of things that you can do, even if you don't get the measurement card you want.

myponyismywings
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:27 PM
I understand that you are new here, but you haven't exactly painted yourself as a ray of sunshine.

If you want serious responses, ignore the ones that you deem inappropriate. No need to get defensive or call anyone else out. Forums can get a bit tense sometimes as words on a screen do not translate as well as spoken words.

Good luck with your pony/horse. There are lots of things that you can do, even if you don't get the measurement card you want.

well i honestlyy dont care about other ppls opinions of myself. thats thier problem. Also, I believe You are calling Me out. Im not rude, but I will stand up for myself.

StrawberryFields
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:30 PM
Yikes! Do not shave her withers! Above posters have good ideas, though. Ps don't respond to posts that u feel are inappropriate. It only adds fuel to the fire....

AliCat
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:32 PM
well i honestlyy dont care about other ppls opinions of myself. thats thier problem. Also, I believe You are calling Me out. Im not rude, but I will stand up for myself.
Just trying to help a forum newbie. Proceed however you see fit.

myponyismywings
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:32 PM
Yikes! Do not shave her withers! Above posters have good ideas, though. Ps don't respond to posts that u feel are inappropriate. It only adds fuel to the fire....

why not shave them? jw,

StrawberryFields
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:34 PM
Well...would you want someone to shave your spine? Lol

*Liz*
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:34 PM
I am sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no 'grow smaller' pill out there. You've listed some things people do, pull shoes, trim feet, shave withers, work the stew out of the pony beforehand, etc. As others have stated, even with a card you can get protested at any time, say when your pony is not prepped to "stick short." There is no way to magically make height disappear, just like there's no way to magically make them taller.

If you're really set on making your pony stick as a large and go to PF, then I suggest you go to a trainer you respect, because clearly you don't care for the opinions of people on the internet, and ask them their opinion of what they think you should do to reach your goals. There's your non-abusive suggestion.

myponyismywings
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:36 PM
Well...would you want someone to shave your spine? Lol

haha noooo. i ment like the hair/mane on it xD

myponyismywings
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:37 PM
I am sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no 'grow smaller' pill out there. You've listed some things people do, pull shoes, trim feet, shave withers, work the stew out of the pony beforehand, etc. As others have stated, even with a card you can get protested at any time, say when your pony is not prepped to "stick short." There is no way to magically make height disappear, just like there's no way to magically make them taller.

If you're really set on making your pony stick as a large and go to PF, then I suggest you go to a trainer you respect, because clearly you don't care for the opinions of people on the internet, and ask them their opinion of what they think you should do to reach your goals. There's your non-abusive suggestion.

thank u for yur input..

CHT
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:39 PM
There are two meanings to the term "shave the withers". One means just shaving the hair, and one means a surgical procedure where the bone is shaved. I think (hope) you are meaning just shaving the hair, but others may be thinking you are meaning having the bone "shaved" which is ethically very questionable and has been discussed on the forum before.

I agree that you should measure her properly now and see where you are at to even know if the worry is worth it. Myself, I would be too stressed to worry about getting measured at a show to want to try to sneak in as a pony when it wasn't really one.

StrawberryFields
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:39 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh ok. I misunderstood!

myponyismywings
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:48 PM
There are two meanings to the term "shave the withers". One means just shaving the hair, and one means a surgical procedure where the bone is shaved. I think (hope) you are meaning just shaving the hair, but others may be thinking you are meaning having the bone "shaved" which is ethically very questionable and has been discussed on the forum before.

I agree that you should measure her properly now and see where you are at to even know if the worry is worth it. Myself, I would be too stressed to worry about getting measured at a show to want to try to sneak in as a pony when it wasn't really one.

yes i did mean the hair. i dodnt know ppl actually did the other one! what does the bone shaving do??

RugBug
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:53 PM

Wow, you are a rude little thing, aren't you? (Since you ride a pony and want to go to pony finals, I'm assuming your a minor) Hopefully you don't talk like that to people in real life. You'll have all the olders wondering what this world is coming to and what happened to manners, etc.

BTW, I also thought you meant bone shaving and that you thought it was just fine. Glad to hear you don't think so...but your curiosity is troubling.

myponyismywings
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:56 PM
Wow, you are a rude little thing, aren't you? (Since you ride a pony and want to go to pony finals, I'm assuming your a minor) Hopefully you don't talk like that to people in real life. You'll have all the olders wondering what this world is coming to and what happened to manners, etc.

perhaps if ppl did not talk to me in that sort of way.....i would be more polite(: And you know what they say about assuming..... ;) thanks for yur input.

myponyismywings
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:57 PM

BTW, I also thought you meant bone shaving and that you thought it was just fine. Glad to hear you don't think so...but your curiosity is troubling.

and how is my curiousity troubling? like i would EVER hurt my pony. I just wanted to know what is was. geez.

AliCat
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:00 AM
perhaps if ppl did not talk to me in that sort of way.....i would be more polite(: And you know what they say about assuming..... ;) thanks for yur input.

Did anyone ever tell you that you get more bees with honey?

myponyismywings
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:03 AM
Did anyone ever tell you that you get more bees with honey?

nope. sorry about that.

SpicyMonarch
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:03 AM
Everyone has provided great suggestions. Those will all help reduce the pony's height by a very small amount.

OR you can find a show that is a tad unscrupulous will allow you to stick the pony in a large pothole or the like and will measure from there. Yeah, they do exist...but are definitely few and far between and erm, sketchy.

myponyismywings
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:05 AM
Everyone has provided great suggestions. Those will all help reduce the pony's height by a very small amount.

OR you can find a show that is a tad unscrupulous will allow you to stick the pony in a large pothole or the like and will measure from there. Yeah, they do exist...but are definitely few and far between and erm, sketchy.

lol, i was more hoping to get her a tad shorter so if we get qualified, when they stick her at ponyfinals, she would be more pony sized . idk how sketchy they are xDD

Gray Horse H/J
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:06 AM
:rolleyes:

RugBug
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:06 AM

You do realize you pulled out the nasty stick first, right? Now people are responding to that. Rel6 was only slightly off base about her Quarab comments and even admitted she was being snotty.

I'm sure you're smart enough to read the truth in the sarcasm. There are only a few things you can do to get your pony to measure that aren't detrimental to her....and being too focused on making the measure is a quick way to get into dangerous territory.

PaintPony
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:10 AM
If you want people to take you seriously, try writing in complete sentences, use punctuation, and stop using text abbreviations.

And I'm not being "mean" or "rude" to you, I am trying to help you out.

myponyismywings
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:14 AM
If you want people to take you seriously, try writing in complete sentences, use punctuation, and stop using text abbreviations.

ill pass(;

myponyismywings
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:17 AM
You do realize you pulled out the nasty stick first, right? Now people are responding to that. Rel6 was only slightly off base about her Quarab comments and even admitted she was being snotty.

I'm sure you're smart enough to read the truth in the sarcasm. There are only a few things you can do to get your pony to measure that aren't detrimental to her....and being too focused on making the measure is a quick way to get into dangerous territory.

thx for your input

LulaBell
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:30 AM
Since when do they stick every pony at PF? As far as I know, a permanent USEF card has you set unless someone officially protests your pony's height.

ClassNTime
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:34 AM
myponyismywings - you are officially the first person on this forum to make my jaw drop! CONGRATULATIONS! Don't let the complement go to your head... Drop the snotty spoiled silver spoon child act - no one here likes it and your only trashing your reputation on this board. Your horse or pony is the height it is - accept that fact and move on... or since your in the jumping world... GET OVER IT! This is an awful lot of drama for someone who can't even tell us how tall or short the equine you have is! <--- Maybe you should start there!

BTW... if you don't make PF and have to move up into the big girl world of riding, you may want to consider changing your attitude... might get you further. But that is JMO

myponyismywings
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:35 AM
myponyismywings - you are officially the first person on this forum to make my jaw drop! CONGRATULATIONS! Don't let the complement go to your head... Drop the snotty spoiled silver spoon child act - no one here likes it and your only trashing your reputation on this board. Your horse or pony is the height it is - accept that fact and move on... or since your in the jumping world... GET OVER IT! This is an awful lot of drama for someone who can't even tell us how tall or short the equine you have is! <--- Maybe you should start there!

BTW... if you don't make PF and have to move up into the big girl world of riding, you may want to consider changing your attitude... might get you further. But that is JMO

haha cool story.

myponyismywings
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:36 AM
Since when do they stick every pony at PF? As far as I know, a permanent USEF card has you set unless someone officially protests your pony's height.

ohhh. i thought they measured all of them....

Rel6
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:43 AM
thank you (: we get a lot of hate just bcause she isnt purebred welsh or whatever.....she deserves bettter recognition

Wasn't hating on her at all. Just a reality check, that if you want to be competitive you are going to be facing larges with impeccable movement, conformation, and breeding. They are going to jump dead even and square, and be worth something in the six figures. MOST grade ponies (I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt on her being a pony) are simply not going to be competitive. Of course there are exceptions, and your pony could be it, but chances are its not. Look at websites like hunter jumper exchange or bigeq.com and search for six figures large ponies...THAT is your competition.

I was simply trying to advise you that if have your heart set on pony finals, try aiming for pony jumpers. A grade pony with wings on its feet will SHINE there. Sure, my comment may have sounded snotty. But I like the jumpers over hunters for a reason, you can find amazing talent in any breed or background, quarab grade ponies included ;)

Also, chatspeak lyk dis iz not going to get you the serious, respectful answers you seem to want.

Seal Harbor
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:45 AM
lol, i was more hoping to get her a tad shorter so if we get qualified, when they stick her at ponyfinals, she would be more pony sized . idk how sketchy they are xDD

You do realize that to qualify for Pony Finals you will have to show in an A or AA rated Green Hunter Pony division, and be either Champion or Reserve in the division. You also realize that to show at USEF shows your pony is going to have to have a measurement card and will be measured once a year until it reaches 6 years of age when it will be issued a permanent card.

And that someone can protest the height of your pony even after it gets a permanent card.

myponyismywings
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:46 AM
Wasn't hating on her at all. Just a reality check, that if you want to be competitive you are going to be facing larges with impeccable movement, conformation, and breeding. They are going to jump dead even and square, and be worth something in the six figures. MOST grade ponies (I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt on her being a pony) are simply not going to be competitive. Of course there are exceptions, and your pony could be it, but chances are its not. Look at websites like hunter jumper exchange or bigeq.com and search for six figures large ponies...THAT is your competition.

I was simply trying to advise you that if have your heart set on pony finals, try aiming for pony jumpers. A grade pony with wings on its feet will SHINE there. Sure, my comment may have sounded snotty. But I like the jumpers over hunters for a reason, you can find amazing talent in any breed or background, quarab grade ponies included ;)

Also, chatspeak lyk dis iz not going to get you the serious, respectful answers you seem to want.

you obviously havent seen her then. just because she isnt a $10000000000 burden in a stall doesnt mean she cant compete. i got her for 200 dollars, broke, and trained her myself. she turned out great, and is a wonderful hunter. I have had AA circut riders try her and they told me she was better than some of the 50k horses they ride.

oh, its america, i say what i want how i want. js(:

sallysue
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:47 AM
You would not have to worry about PF because the only place you would be going is your room! It is rude to talk to adults in this manner. Your mouth got you into trouble from the start. Maybe if your wording was different..........my pony's measurement:lol::lol: fluctuates. Sometimes it is 14.2, sometimes a tad taller. Why is it sometimes different, and how can I keep it more consistent?

myponyismywings
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:48 AM
You do realize that to qualify for Pony Finals you will have to show in an A or AA rated Green Hunter Pony division, and be either Champion or Reserve in the division. You also realize that to show at USEF shows your pony is going to have to have a measurement card and will be measured once a year until it reaches 6 years of age when it will be issued a permanent card.

And that someone can protest the height of your pony even after it gets a permanent card.

yes i do. she isnt getting a card until next year, when we start trying to qualify. this year is our touchup year for training. so next year she is getting registered with all the associations she needs to be, and getting her perm. pony card then.

myponyismywings
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:50 AM
You would not have to worry about PF because the only place you would be going is your room! It is rude to talk to adults in this manner. Your mouth got you into trouble from the start. Maybe if your wording was different..........my pony's measurement:lol::lol: fluctuates. Sometimes it is 14.2, sometimes a tad taller. Why is it sometimes different, and how can I keep it more consistent?

thanks(; its also rude to say things like that to any person. js.

Rel6
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:53 AM
you obviously havent seen her then. just because she isnt a $10000000000 burden in a stall doesnt mean she cant compete. i got her for 200 dollars, broke, and trained her myself. she turned out great, and is a wonderful hunter. I have had AA circut riders try her and they told me she was better than some of the 50k horses they ride.

I acknowledged that your pony could be the exception. I even gave you a suggestion to possibly be more competitive. No need to hop on the defensive. The adult thing to do would be smile, nod, and move along.

Btw, she could be nicer than the 50k horses they ride. But I guarantee a 50k HORSE isn't winning pony finals.

Renn/aissance
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:18 AM

God bless America and bless your heart.

Incidentally: you are a rider attempting to qualify for Pony Finals; you are therefore a junior; you are therefore a minor; thus your right to "say what [you] want how [you] want" is questionable depending on how the First Amendment is interpreted.

Your physical ability to say (in this case, type) whatever you want is not up to question. What is in question is your ability to communicate yourself in a mature fashion and represent yourself as an individual worthy of others' respect.

Just saying. :)

Your trainer can doubtless provide you with relevant advice on helping your pony to measure in. Best of luck.

Stoney447
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:40 AM
Your trainer can doubtless provide you with relevant advice on helping your pony to measure in. Best of luck.

She trains herself per post 61.

Renn/aissance
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:42 AM

It now makes sense that she posted here. Thanks.

Traum
Jun. 3, 2011, 02:15 AM
So here's the fun part of the interwebs, ponygirl. You are not nearly as anonymous as you might think. And there are a LOT of good detectives on this site. The more of a stink you make about trying to cheat into a card, the more likely people might try and figure out who they should protest at pony finals ;)

Rel6
Jun. 3, 2011, 02:35 AM
So here's the fun part of the interwebs, ponygirl. You are not nearly as anonymous as you might think. And there are a LOT of good detectives on this site. The more of a stink you make about trying to cheat into a card, the more likely people might try and figure out who they should protest at pony finals ;)

This is very true. Having googled the OP quickly, I found quite a lot pretty easily. Your youtube account was one and I watched a vid. Your pony has a really really cute jump, she rounds really nicely and is great with her front end. You ride her well too, and look like a nice and soft rider.

BUT she looks pretty short strided for her size, which means you will be racing down lines for the striding and not loping along easily and effortlessly. She also has a fair amount of knee action at the trot, which is going to keep you out of a ribbon in a flat class.

My suggestions? IF she sticks as a pony (which seems like it could still be a big if) why not qualify for the pony medal? Its eq, so her way of going won't matter and you'll still get to go to pony finals. I don't know how far away from KY you are, but its an expensive trip for one class. Seriously though, think about whether you have any interest in jumpers. Your pony jumps very cleanly, she really looks like she doesn't want to touch those rails and she was hopping over 2'9''/3ft pretty easily.

Darkstar
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:07 AM
This is very true. Having googled the OP quickly, I found quite a lot pretty easily. Your youtube account was one and I watched a vid. Your pony has a really really cute jump, she rounds really nicely and is great with her front end. You ride her well too, and look like a nice and soft rider.

BUT she looks pretty short strided for her size, which means you will be racing down lines for the striding and not loping along easily and effortlessly. She also has a fair amount of knee action at the trot, which is going to keep you out of a ribbon in a flat class.

My suggestions? IF she sticks as a pony (which seems like it could still be a big if) why not qualify for the pony medal? Its eq, so her way of going won't matter and you'll still get to go to pony finals. I don't know how far away from KY you are, but its an expensive trip for one class. Seriously though, think about whether you have any interest in jumpers. Your pony jumps very cleanly, she really looks like she doesn't want to touch those rails and she was hopping over 2'9''/3ft pretty easily.

I think this is very sound advice. I too googled and watched, and while the pony is very cute (and you look like you have a great time together), I don't think she'd be competitive at the top levels and the likes that come to PF. Her stride is just a bit short and her jump (in 3 or 4 videos I saw) just isn't consistent and tight. Don't get me wrong, there were cute moments in there, but she's not jumping every jump nice and tight and square. IF she sticks at pony height, then you can think about your options. Until then, why not just concentrate on having fun. You are still young, and there are PLENTY of classes and shows out there. :)

ETA: And please don't think this is anything against "untraditional breeds or x/s" I myself had an untraditional pony back in the day (see: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1282042348037483924NzMIAy). He was Welsh/Arab/TB. His jump was no where near good enough for any serious attemps pony hunters, so I adapted and we showed Eq and Jumpers and had a ball. :-)

supershorty628
Jun. 3, 2011, 05:47 AM
Okay, call me stupid, but is there any post in this thread that mentions just how far over this pony is?

*Liz*
Jun. 3, 2011, 06:49 AM

While you are young now and presumably living in your parent's house and off of your parent's money, you may be able to get away with this thinking. However, when you grow up, move out, and live in the real world, saying whatever you want, however you want can get you in serious trouble, hurt, or even killed depending on the situation. Just saying...

Pennywell Bay
Jun. 3, 2011, 07:06 AM
Cute pony. Like others have said, a true measurement of the pony will give you (and everyone) a better idea of suggestions for you (ie- pull shoes, forget it , etc).

One suggestion, maybe a local trainer can help guide you in your quest for PF? Is there one near you? I only make this suggestion because it can be expensive and complex when you are campaigning your pony ( or horse).

I just want to say, if you trained the pony yourself, kudos, so far. The horse world is smaller than you think, though. Sometimes things you say, in passing or in anger, can come back to haunt you. It helps to stop, take a breath and think about what you want to say.

I say this as someone who can be a hothead. I am a lot older than you and have learned this lesson through some pretty crummy situations - that I was to blame for.

You can't control what other people say, but you can control what you say.

Good luck with the pony, ( and get a measuring stick, they sell them cheap online).

War Admiral
Jun. 3, 2011, 07:19 AM
WHAT a cute pony!!! And girl, you could KILL in the eq. with that nice tight leg you've got!

My advice, FWIW:

(1) Do not answer any more questions on this forum about how far "over" the pony may be. It's nobody's business, and as others have pointed out, the whole forum now has your name & knows who to protest, should you win.

(2) Understand that what it takes to qualify for pony finals varies wildly from zone to zone. I'll have to take the word of the Mid-Atlantic clique that your pony would struggle there. Here in GA/TN where I live, if you can put down as accurate a trip as it looks like, you could get that pony qualified in a weekend, and probably be Circuit Champion let alone Division Champion at the smaller "A"s. There are LOTS of ponies here, but most are not ridden well. That's where you shine. Pony is a little short-strided, 'tis true, but I'd be interested to know if he makes the step on a regular basis. There are lots who can. Your pony may not be competitive at the VERY highest level, but if you just want to go to PFs for fun and experience and to say you did, then you go girl! :D

(3) Now, as to measurement: the main thing is, get that pony accustomed to a USEF stick. Never been able to figure out why, but horses are TERRIFIED of The Scary White Stick, and a tense horse or pony tends to "big up". Teach your pony to stand in that long, low "sport pony" frame with head and neck exaggeratedly extended, and be sure he will maintain it when The Scary White Stick arrives. ;) BUY a stick if you can, and work with it and with your pony regularly to see what stance the pony needs to adopt to put his withers at the lowest point.

(4) I'd for sure go in for the eq. as well as the hunters if I were you!!

Good luck!

ExJumper
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:18 AM
Wow, this kid sure comes off [poorly]. I hope she's not like this in real life. Oh, I'm sorry, do you understand those words? Should I say IRL, instead?

Giddy-up
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:44 AM
yes i do. she isnt getting a card until next year, when we start trying to qualify. this year is our touchup year for training. so next year she is getting registered with all the associations she needs to be, and getting her perm. pony card then.

If you are worried about her being over-sized, then you should try for this year's PF. Next year could be too late.

Mayaty02
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:56 AM
so who wants to PM me the youtube link? sounds like a cute pony, wanna see...

AliCat518
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:04 AM
Umm, so is it the chestnut or the appy in the videos? She says the appy is hers...

Oldenburg99
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:11 AM

Please act your age, not your shoe size. Perhaps people will take you and/or your questions more seriously.

Renn/aissance
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:17 AM
As much as it pains me to defend the OP, I figure I might as well say this for her because at the very least it will come with proper capitalization this way. ;) She never said she wanted to win at Pony Finals- just to qualify for it, which is a different type of goal. I am trusting DarkStar's estimation on the pony, which I haven't seen, and depending on the area of the country, this whole thing could be a good goal for this kid and this pony and something they could be quite proud of. So the question isn't "Is the pony good enough to beat Vanity Fair," but "Are kid and pony good enough to lay down three good trips and a flat at an A or AA show in their area of the country, and is anyone they compete against that day going to lay down three that are better." Actually, the question was never that, it was how to get the pony to measure in. (And maybe it was also "When did capital letters and spell check become passe?")

Pink_Vanillabeans
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:21 AM
Wow, this kid sure comes off [poorly]. I hope she's not like this in real life. Oh, I'm sorry, do you understand those words? Should I say IRL, instead?

ahahhaa, this is great.

theinstigator
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:23 AM
According to the details on her Youtube profile...

I'm a bitch. If you can't deal with that, unsub now. kthx(: :eek:

AliCat518
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:27 AM
Oh my goodness...that was on her PUBLIC youtube profile?!?!? Kids really have no shame these days. Or respect. (I say this and im only 24...so I was her age not too long ago...)

She needs a swift kick in the butt.

makeasplash
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:28 AM
I just want to say this thread has kept me from going to the gym/barn for about an hour. Thanks for the entertainment guys.

And OP it is very easy to qualify for pony finals in the greens but getting the pony to measure that one time is going to be hard if it is over. I suggest getting a trainer, even if you only trailer in for lessons once a week because that will help you a lot. They are pros for a reason and know the ins and outs of horse showing.

hntrjmprpro45
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:31 AM
Aww, come one guys, be nice. The OP is obviously just a kid who clearly loves her pony and sounds excited to go to pony finals. I too would be a little bratty and defensive if the first couple of posts were not really advice but rather just dumping on the pony before having ever seen it. Besides, there is absolutely nothing wrong with going to pony finals just for the experience- it's a really fun show!

OP, here is a little advice. The horse community can be like a pack of wolves. They will sniff out any weakness and gang up on the little guy. Do yourself a favor and be careful of what you say and how you say it- basically don't add any fuel to the fire, just be polite and ignore.

nickers@dawn
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:36 AM
I think this rider came on here fishing for info that would be considered borderline. She used the word shaved. I don't know about you but anyone past the up-down stage uses the word clip.

She looks like a good rider and I think she is smarter about this than you think, hence the tude.

ponymom64
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:38 AM
To the OP - Pony Finals is a great experience and hopefully, you'll be able to get a good measure on your pony and qualify. The year we went to PF, most of the lines were something like 12 - 14 strides and usually at least one or two have an option, so length of stride can be fudged a bit, esp in the greens. You will need an accurate ride into the combination, though, so should work on those in your training.

jconnors
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:52 AM

she placed 3rd out of 8 in under saddle, and we beat my trainers daughter riding my trainers horse

Copied from one of her youtube videos...

silanac
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:00 AM
look, most of these people are right. they aren't trying to be mean or rude, just tell the truth. if she is over, she is over and there is not a whole lot you can do. the first thing you should do is put a stick on her and see where she is. if she is slightly over 14.2 you may have a shot.

take her shoes off

have farrier trim her down a bit without making her ouchy

lunge her so she is relaxed when she gets carded

if you can get her permanent measurement card right at 14.2, then no matter how many people protest at a show nothing can be changed. the permanent card rules.

i have seen several larges on the A circuit around here (VA) that a CLEARLY not ponies- their 5'8" mom stands next to them and her head barely comes up to the withers. but they have permanent cards and so they are considered a large pony.

good luck!

jay0087
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:04 AM
I feel like this is one of those issues that everyone is like omg about but I have heard so many people talk about it. I can't tell you how many times in a show season I hear about it just from standing around. My only suggestion is to make sure your pony is as relaxed as possible. Like has been said, get a stick and practice. Maybe see if you can have a friend (male and family) that the pony doesn't know come measure her to see how she will react with a stranger.

I would not suggest pulling a horse right out of the stall or trailer to go be measured. Measure your pony now to see how close you are and work with her and see if anything changes.

dags
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:07 AM
COTHers, you were real quick to jump the rude boat on this one. Illiterate brat? Act your age, not your shoe size? Seriously?

You people are no better than what you are accusing this kid of. She held herself in check pretty well, until it was 16 on 1.

I see your illiterate brat and I raise you obnoxious adult.

Geez people. I have a seriously pissy bowl of cornflakes now. May not be a good COTH day for me.

NEVER though this kid was considering cutting her pony open and chopping down her withers, but benefit of the doubt seems to be a sin around here.

OP, take the good suggestions here an walk away :) Have fun with your pony and good luck wherever you all end up.

ExJumper
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:09 AM
if you can get her permanent measurement card right at 14.2, then no matter how many people protest at a show nothing can be changed. the permanent card rules.

i have seen several larges on the A circuit around here (VA) that a CLEARLY not ponies- their 5'8" mom stands next to them and her head barely comes up to the withers. but they have permanent cards and so they are considered a large pony.

good luck!

Wrong. The height of your pony can be protested at any time. If you are protested you have to march your little butt over to the steward and the vet and get measured right then at that show. If your pony doesn't measure as a pony, he loses his card. If you've already shown in pony classes, you forfeit your points and winnings.

It may be possible to get your pony remeasured as a pony at a later date, but just skating through with a perm card does NOT mean that you are set for life.

SaturdayNightLive
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:12 AM

good luck!

Wow. This isn't true at all. If you are protested, the pony will be remeasured and bounced if found to be over.

danceronice
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:12 AM

Please, yes. This board has limited/no tolerance for illiterate textspeak and deliberate misspellings. Unless you're goeslikestink (who has a medical reason for how she types) or can likewise prove it, you'll REALLY get more help if you write coherently.

And if she's 14.3+, you're hosed. Suck up and compete where she sticks.

Napoles
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:20 AM
I've nothing useful to add, but just always wanted an excuse to use this smiley!!!

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k184/xtrayoy/Smileypopcorneating.gif

Analterpony
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:24 AM
COTHers, you were real quick to jump the rude boat on this one. Illiterate brat? Act your age, not your shoe size? Seriously?

You people are no better than what you are accusing this kid of. She held herself in check pretty well, until it was 16 on 1.

I see your illiterate brat and I raise you obnoxious adult.

Geez people. I have a seriously pissy bowl of cornflakes now. May not be a good COTH day for me.

NEVER though this kid was considering cutting her pony open and chopping down her withers, but benefit of the doubt seems to be a sin around here.

OP, take the good suggestions here an walk away :) Have fun with your pony and good luck wherever you all end up.

AMEN! Geez, people!

moonriverfarm
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:32 AM
Cute pony. Nice eq. Have fun!

Moderator 1
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:40 AM
OK folks, the original poster got off on the wrong foot here, likely in large part due to confusion over her casual reference to shaving her pony's withers.

People understandably went ":eek::eek:" at the nonchalant bone shaving query, and she bristled in return, as she was referring to clipping hair, not spine, and down the toilet the thread spiraled.

So, while our new poster could have handled herself better in responding, it sounds like she didn't even know the sinister form of whither shaving existed so the initial responses she got could have seemed a bit unecessarily short, so let's all calm down and give her a shot. ;)

Thanks!
Mod 1

Ghazzu
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:54 AM
i was hoping for, perhaps, a NON ABUSIVE suggestion?

How about doing the half-Arab hunters at an Arab show?

Ghazzu
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:00 AM

In other words, Pony Finals is your current fantasy...

MyssMyst
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:17 AM
i do know what the hight of the jumps are, thank you. she is capaple of taking pony or horse strides, whichever i ask for. she jumps great, has leads, and is a wonderful mover. all i want to know if there was anything i could do (shave withers, trim feet, etc) to make her smaller.

In case you haven't realized this, you don't get to control responses on an internet forum. Sure, it's America and you can say what you what, when you want. So can we. Put your big girl panties on and deal with it. Proper spelling and grammar would also help your cause. I'm not the only one who makes judgements based on your inability to properly utilize written English. The more you speak in text speak, the less I think of both your IQ and maturity. This sounds catty, but it's advice that will help you in ANY mature internet forum.

If a post upsets you, walk away. Calm down. And then look at why it upset you. How was your original post taken? Why did the other poster respond that way? Once you rationally evaluate the other post (even when it's buried in sarcasm) you might actually see some truth in it. Openly advertising your attitude won't help you in the horse world, and it sure won't help you in the adult world.

keepthelegend
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:42 AM
Practice a lot and make sure the steward gives plenty of time. Some ponies will shrink a ton once they relax under the stick.

Rel6
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:52 AM
Umm, so is it the chestnut or the appy in the videos? She says the appy is hers...

I saw another video by her friend of the OP on a chestnut pony. The OP had commented on it and it said it was her in the description, so I went with that.

OP, you have gotten some really good advice on this board. I would reread the suggestions, ignore the rudeness, and then talk to a trainer to get an idea of how much it would cost you financially to try to set out and achieve your goal. Then only you know if its really possible.

And, at some point you might want to see if your mount is a pony. Probably before you enter any pony divisions, though.

SmartAlex
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:01 PM
Well I have heard of two anecdotal tricks that I would like to contribute to this trainwreck.

One is I've heard of a guy putting wet sand bags over the pony's withers for an hour before in hopes he could compress everything juuuust enough.

The other one is a guy who trained the pony to kneel whenever the withers were touched which means everytime you put a stick on it, the pony would drop to it's knees, making it impossible to measure.

Not saying if either trick works, but neither one will harm your pony.

GingerJumper
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:23 PM
This entire thread is making me shake my head...

S1969
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:40 PM
Well I have heard of two anecdotal tricks that I would like to contribute to this trainwreck.

One is I've heard of a guy putting wet sand bags over the pony's withers for an hour before in hopes he could compress everything juuuust enough.

The other one is a guy who trained the pony to kneel whenever the withers were touched which means everytime you put a stick on it, the pony would drop to it's knees, making it impossible to measure.

Not saying if either trick works, but neither one will harm your pony.

Haha, too funny. But seriously, if your pony won't stand to be measured, won't it be disqualified anyway? Or is that the trick after you receive your perm. card just in case someone files a complaint? (Better to be booted for not standing for measuring than for being measured over?)

Very interesting read. :no:

I guess I'd be measuring now to see how close the pony was to start. If it's still in but close, the tips like making pony relax will help. If it's over, it's over....not sure there is much you can do. You could trim its feet really short, but what good would that do if it's unrideable? (especially if you can always be re-measured even with a permanent card.) :confused:

kookicat
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:24 PM
OP, how big is your pony?

myponyismywings
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:14 PM
Well geez. I come on here with an honest question, get immature and rude comments, stand up for myself, get beat down for not typing like a professor, ragged on because apparantly i am a spoiled brat who doesnt know anyything about pony finals and showing, and blatently bullied. really. my youtube is mine. You dont HAVE to look at it. If ou are so nosy that you must see it, you have NO right to complain about it. alot of the jumps are bad in that first video because that was the tone of the song. we happened to score a 73.75% in dressage, and did that course in 49 seconds. So before you all attack me,blame me, and call me names, read things carefully. All i wanted to know was how people made their ponies smaller for measurment, because my lesson instructor said people do that to get into a division. I thought I could get a few decent answers by posting on here, and i did, but the majority of them were rude and uncalled for. Thank you to the few people and mods that messaged me, or replied with helpful, supportive comments. I am dissapointed in the rest of you. You all get after ME for being rude to adults; take a look at what you are telling a child who you dont know. Think about what is going thru her head by seeing all this, after so many people have told her she isnt good enough. that pony cant go anywhere, shes a waste of time. just give it up. Well, I KNOW for a FACT, if that pony of mine stays her hight, We will go to Pony Finals. I never said win, i said GO TO. I thought this was a community forum, but apparently it isnt with the remarks i have been getting. Walk a mile in my shoes and you would understand why i am so defensive. message me on here, or on my youtube (which most of you know of already) and i will tell you. In the meantime, before you openly bash someone, think about what there situation may be. Thanks.

(THIS IS FOR WHOLE THREAD, NOT A REPLY.)

forestergirl99
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:25 PM
Had your answers not been so rude and immature, people would not have replied how they did. You are most certainly partially at fault for the thread going downhill. Don't try to act like the poor little beaten up puppy.

Also, dressage horses move differently than hunters, and speed doesn't matter except in jumpers.

kookicat
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:30 PM
I really have no dog in this fight but I want to say a few things.

Myponyismywings, the reason people are asking you not to use text speak is that not everyone understands it. I know that I don't. Good spelling and grammar make your post easier to understand, which makes people more willing to help you out. Take a look at the other posters- almost everyone uses good grammar and spelling. While we're on the topic, can you please break your text up into paragraphs? It's very hard to read as one big lump. ;) :)

No-one has attacked you. You've gotten some good advice and have been asked questions that you still haven't answered. More information makes it easier for us to help you.

If you're trying to shrink your pony down an inch, then I think you're out of luck, but a fraction of an inch may be doable.

May I ask how old you are? :)

myponyismywings
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:34 PM
Had your answers not been so rude and immature, people would not have replied how they did. You are most certainly partially at fault for the thread going downhill. Don't try to act like the poor little beaten up puppy.

Also, dressage horses move differently than hunters, and speed doesn't matter except in jumpers.

im aware of the differences, if you had read CAREFULLY, i was talking about one of my videos. i never said i wasnt at fault, but i think the adults telling me how immature i am are just as immature.

Gnomeland
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:40 PM
Hehe. :lol:

kookicat
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:44 PM
im aware of the differences, if you had read CAREFULLY, i was talking about one of my videos. i never said i wasnt at fault, but i think the adults telling me how immature i am are just as immature.

This is where improved typing would help you out. It would make it easier for people to understand the point you're trying to put across. Not an attack, just some friendly advice.

Event4Life
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:44 PM
i never said i wasnt at fault, but i think the adults telling me how immature i am are just as immature.

Hey, despite everything else, she has a fair point here. At least she has admitted she is at fault.

But...some advice: As Kookicat and others have said PLEASE try to improve your grammar and structure your posts. No, this is not a term paper, but we appreciate not having to spend time deciphering every word you type.

You have been "attacked" by certain posters, but that is the nature of forums, especially when your first post is as controversial as this one. If you had used the search (see blue tab at the top of page) feature before posting you could have saved yourself a lot of upset and still received the same advice.

Your pony is really cute and you look to be a good, solid rider. Maybe if PF doesn't work out you can stick to Eventing, where no one cares if your pony is 14.2 1/16 or 14.1 3/4. Before everyone jumps on me, that was really not meant to be an attack on hunter/jumpers...I have nothing against them at all, but think in this situation other goals might be more feasible.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

myponyismywings
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:49 PM
Hey, despite everything else, she has a fair point here. At least she has admitted she is at fault.

But...some advice: As Kookicat and others have said PLEASE try to improve your grammar and structure your posts. No, this is not a term paper, but we appreciate not having to spend time deciphering every word you type.

You have been "attacked" by certain posters, but that is the nature of forums, especially when your first post is as controversial as this one. If you had used the search (see blue tab at the top of page) feature before posting you could have saved yourself a lot of upset and still received the same advice.

Your pony is really cute and you look to be a good, solid rider. Maybe if PF doesn't work out you can stick to Eventing, where no one cares if your pony is 14.2 1/16 or 14.1 3/4. Before everyone jumps on me, that was really not meant to be an attack on hunter/jumpers...I have nothing against them at all, but think in this situation other goals might be more feasible.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Thank you(: I didn't know you had to structure it, all I wanted was answers, not rantings. And yes, we will do eventing AFTER PonyFinasl(;

Plus I have no idea how to use this site, other than to post on it. O.o

kookicat
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:52 PM
Thank you(: I didn't know you had to structure it, all I wanted was answers, not rantings. And yes, we will do eventing AFTER PonyFinasl(;

I think you'll have a lot of fun eventing. It's addictive. :)

How big is your pony? What will you do if you can't get him to measure?

myponyismywings
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:55 PM
I think you'll have a lot of fun eventing. It's addictive. :)

How big is your pony? What will you do if you can't get him to measure?

It really is(: I did cross country with her once and it was so much fun! And she ALWAYS gets lowscore champion when we do our combined shows.

To tell you the truth, I don't know what I will do. This has been my LIFE for the last year, Pony Finals, because top riders told me I should go for it, because they said she had the stuff.

I think she is right at the 14.2 mark. Not sure though,.

GingerJumper
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:57 PM
I really have no dog in this fight but I want to say a few things.

Myponyismywings, the reason people are asking you not to use text speak is that not everyone understands it. I know that I don't. Good spelling and grammar make your post easier to understand, which makes people more willing to help you out. Take a look at the other posters- almost everyone uses good grammar and spelling. While we're on the topic, can you please break your text up into paragraphs? It's very hard to read as one big lump. ;) :)

No-one has attacked you. You've gotten some good advice and have been asked questions that you still haven't answered. More information makes it easier for us to help you.

If you're trying to shrink your pony down an inch, then I think you're out of luck, but a fraction of an inch may be doable.

May I ask how old you are? :)

THIS.

forestergirl99
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:58 PM

Well now you know. People on here really aren't out for blood and can offer good advice(which you did get some of), but the way you worded a few things made it come across as very :eek::eek::eek: and caused the responses. Live and learn.

Gnomeland
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:59 PM
Why am I not a good sleuth who can find video of said pony? :(

MyGiantPony
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:02 PM
Why am I not a good sleuth who can find video of said pony? :(

same user name on you tube.

cute pony, good rider.

But I agree with some others, if the pony measures, the pony jumpers might be a more realistic goal.

Shagyas Rock
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:06 PM
Isn't anyone going to mention the fact that trying to make your pony "seem" shorter than he/she is is cheating????
That it is dishonest??? That is is poor sportsmanship and putting the desire for prizes, etc. before the wellfare of the pony?

Jun. 3, 2011, 04:10 PM
I'm going to sound completely snotty and I'm gearing up for a flame suit but...most "appendix/arab cross grade pony"s are not going to be competitive at pony finals in the large pony hunters (even in greens). I say most, because there are always exceptions. If your pony can jump 3'3'' cleanly, I'd shoot for pony jumpers if you have you heart seat on pony finals (if your pony is, in fact, a pony.)

Snobbery is a bad thing - It limits you to your own narrow view of what you think 'should' win.

forestergirl99
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:16 PM
Isn't anyone going to mention the fact that trying to make your pony "seem" shorter than he/she is is cheating????
That it is dishonest??? That is is poor sportsmanship and putting the desire for prizes, etc. before the wellfare of the pony?

If the pony is right at 14.2 I'm wondering why the thread was started in the first place. :confused:

ExJumper
From what I gather from the thread, the OP hasn't ever actually measured the pony. It could be 14.2 and a hair, or it could be 15.1. Hell, it could be 13.3 for all we know.

AliCat518
I dont think shes actually put a stick to the "pony" yet. I think pony is AROUND 14.2 but hasnt been measured in a while...

ExJumper
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:18 PM
Snobbery is a bad thing - It limits you to your own narrow view of what you think 'should' win.

You are a snob. It limits you.

You must feel very strongly about this. Fact is, rel6 is telling the truth. Most ponies don't have the stuff to make it to PF no matter what they are. Unconventional breeding makes it more difficult. It's not a judgement, it's a fact.

forestergirl99
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:18 PM
From what I gather from the thread, the OP hasn't ever actually measured the pony. It could be 14.2 and a hair, or it could be 15.1. Hell, it could be 13.3 for all we know.

:lol: Gotcha.

MyssMyst
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:23 PM
Well now you know. People on here really aren't out for blood and can offer good advice(which you did get some of), but the way you worded a few things made it come across as very :eek::eek::eek: and caused the responses. Live and learn.

This, exactly.

kookicat
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:26 PM
I think the main thing about COTH users is that everyone puts the welfare of the horse first. Everything else comes second to that. It's one of the reasons why I enjoy this board so much.

caffeinated
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:29 PM
I think she is right at the 14.2 mark. Not sure though,.

OK, so go measure her and see. :) It may be that you don't need any tactics to try and make her measure shorter.

I admit, I will chuckle a bit if it turns out she's 14.1 and a half, and this entire thread was moot.

Renn/aissance
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:55 PM
OK, so go measure her and see. :) It may be that you don't need any tactics to try and make her measure shorter.

I admit, I will chuckle a bit if it turns out she's 14.1 and a half, and this entire thread was moot.

I will bark out a laugh like a seal if that were the case. Would certainly make the op's life easier too!

Rel6
Jun. 3, 2011, 05:57 PM
my youtube is mine. You dont HAVE to look at it. If ou are so nosy that you must see it, you have NO right to complain about it. alot of the jumps are bad in that first video because that was the tone of the song. we happened to score a 73.75% in dressage, and did that course in 49 seconds.

I don't think its nosy to search out info on the pony you are talking about, I think its being well informed and not jumping to conclusions. In fact, I was really impressed by you and your pony actually. You two looked very good together, and your pony is quite cute.

BUT the fact that you are using a dressage score and course time to defend your pony in the context of going to pony finals does not inspire confidence that you understand what the competition will be like (and here I'll just say for qualify, because you said that is your goal and not necessarily winning.) Dressage is judged on movement, sure, but is QUITE different. Think this (http://www.dressage-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/ashley-holzer-pop-art-olympic-games-dressage-freestyle-can-ashley-holzer-pop-art-imgl4506.jpg) vs. this (http://www.bigeq.com/listing_img/00/00/00/57/51/3-128904734394723000.jpg)

Not once did I say what I thought 'should' win. You're right though, I do have a narrow view of what I think 'should' win. I think a sane, inexpensive, bombproof, steady eddy heart of gold type pony with a little girl who has put so much work into him 'should' win. I might even think the OP 'should' win. But this is the real world, where the ponies that DO (not 'should') win are type-y, expensive and well-bred hot headed little sh*ts. Ok, not always obviously. But you get my gist.

You must feel very strongly about this. Fact is, rel6 is telling the truth. Most ponies don't have the stuff to make it to PF no matter what they are. Unconventional breeding makes it more difficult. It's not a judgement, it's a fact.

Thanks :) I think you and most people on the board got what I was trying to say, I just floundered for a more tactful way to phrase it.

xxreddxheaddxx
Jun. 3, 2011, 06:06 PM
this thread was excellent entertainment today!!!!

xxreddxheaddxx
Jun. 3, 2011, 06:12 PM
Wait!!! Can someone post the link to her youtube??? She deleted her past posts...

kelsey97
Jun. 3, 2011, 06:25 PM
Get an approved aluminum stick with the levels, I have one I bought directly from the AHSA (years ago obviously). Put your pony on concrete and measure it on both sides using the USEF guidelines. This will tell you if you have a pony or not.

forestergirl99
Jun. 3, 2011, 06:40 PM
Wait!!! Can someone post the link to her youtube??? She deleted her past posts...

She put her account on private.

Rel6
Jun. 3, 2011, 06:48 PM
She put her account on private.

Yea but if you google it her friend's vid of her will still show up.

hntrjmprpro45
Jun. 3, 2011, 06:56 PM
Get an approved aluminum stick with the levels, I have one I bought directly from the AHSA (years ago obviously). Put your pony on concrete and measure it on both sides using the USEF guidelines. This will tell you if you have a pony or not.

I was talking with a steward a few months ago and they said that the official measuring sticks were about $300! (and the stewards pay for it NOT USEF apparently)

forestergirl99
Jun. 3, 2011, 06:58 PM
Yea but if you google it her friend's vid of her will still show up.

Her videos actually still show up too. You just can't see her account.

HenryisBlaisin'
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:52 PM

1000% THIS! Trying to get anything over 14.2 smaller, no matter HOW it's done, whether the animal is 14.2 1/16" or 14.3, is CHEATING! It doesn't matter if it's "done all the time," it's still CHEATING!

OP, you are basically asking people to help you break the rules. Perhaps that's why some of the answers seem harsh to you. I'm sure pony finals would be an awesome experience if you were to qualify, and if your pony really IS a pony, 14.2 and NO change, best of luck. If pony is not 14.2, please do the honest thing and don't try to make him measure as something he's not. Size doesn't matter in dressage or eventing, or you can do open classes if your heart is set on hunters. For every rider who uses shady (abusive or not) practices to qualify a "pony", there is an honest kid riding a real pony who stays home.

monday
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:00 PM
I never did ponies so I am not familiar with the techniques, but the idea of giving the pony some experience with the stick so it isn't scary and telling her to get the pony out early and going for a ten minute lunge don't really seem like cheating so much as good ideas.

HenryisBlaisin'
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:09 PM
They ARE good ideas...if the pony is 14.2 or under to begin with!

IveGotRhythm
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:20 PM
I have no dog in this fight and havn't seen the OP's videos. That said an arab/appendix mix can be a VERY fancy mix for a large pony.

I have one. She's a dapple grey so pretty she looks painted (3 high whites and a huge blaze, black mane &tail), 10+movement that would take your breath away. I'd put her up against any pony in the country in model and hack. Looks like an amplified small Welsh. I don't know how she jumps yet, but if she's good it would totally break your heart that she's a good solid 14.3 and will never measure! Then again if she did measure she would be totally out of my league.

So saying the "grade pony" isn't worth it is kind of silly. I mean, most WBs have TB and Arab in them. An appendix/arab cross isn't a throwaway.

RugBug
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:35 PM
I have no dog in this fight and havn't seen the OP's videos. That said an arab/appendix mix can be a VERY fancy mix for a large pony.

I have one. She's a dapple grey so pretty she looks painted (3 high whites and a huge blaze, black mane &tail), 10+movement that would take your breath away. I'd put her up against any pony in the country in model and hack. Looks like an amplified small Welsh. I don't know how she jumps yet, but if she's good it would totally break your heart that she's a good solid 14.3 and will never measure! Then again if she did measure she would be totally out of my league.

So saying the "grade pony" isn't worth it is kind of silly. I mean, most WBs have TB and Arab in them. An appendix/arab cross isn't a throwaway.

This is very true. There's a whole lot of "welsh crosses" that actually have a lot of arab in them...just no one usually says it. :D

That's said...the OP's pony, while very cute and they look like a nice pair...is not one of the fancy ones. Can she qualify for pony finals? there are so many variables that it's hard to even guess at. She's very determined too, which is great, and hopefully she won't have to learn the lesson to be realistic and temper dreams when she is clearly so young. Dreams are for youth....and the lucky few.

Stellar_moves
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:36 PM
Alrighty then! I just got a total kick out of reading this entire thread.. But anyway, I'll give my 2-bits on this, in a nice way :)

First, measure your pony first. If shes over the size, then try competing in the jumpers like some of the other posters have suggested. However, if it IS a possibility to "shrink" her down, go for it. I honestly did not even know it was possible.. Shows how much I know about ponies :) Anyway, your pony is pretty cute. I really do suggest getting a trainer. Training yourself can only take you so far, and take it from someone who has pretty much done it for a year and a half. Go to the shows, ask trainers to help you, school you, give you a lesson and work off of what they say if you are unable to get a trainer. I have found that going on youtube, forums like COTH, and articles on different things are always extremely helpful.

If your pony is in the size requirement for PF, and you do qualify, then go for it! Do everything you can. Take it from me, it's tough competing with horses within the 6 figures. But, hey! If you're good enough to get there, then just go in there and ride for yourself and have a good time. And who knows, you might get lucky and come home with a prize!

Finally, (good lord, I'm writing a novel!) you really should change your attitude. Many important people go on forums like this and remember the good and the bad. Always, ALWAYS make a good impression. Stick up for yourself, but do it in a mature way. There will always be people who will encourage you, and there will always be the people who will tell you "no". You just need to learn to say "thanks for your input" and walk away silently. The horse world can be vicious. You can ask 5 people the same question and get 5 different answers. Just stop, take a breath, and think about what your going to say, how your going to say it, and who your saying it to.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! :)

rustbreeches
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:39 PM
So I went on the youtube channel for the OP. I saw what I guess is the pony in question. Has anybody thought that it all might be a moot point if the OP can't even still fit on that pony in 2 years? That is a long time for an adolescent girl; growth spurts can happen at the most inopportune moments.

jay0087
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:56 PM
1000% THIS! Trying to get anything over 14.2 smaller, no matter HOW it's done, whether the animal is 14.2 1/16" or 14.3, is CHEATING! It doesn't matter if it's "done all the time," it's still CHEATING!

OP, you are basically asking people to help you break the rules. Perhaps that's why some of the answers seem harsh to you. I'm sure pony finals would be an awesome experience if you were to qualify, and if your pony really IS a pony, 14.2 and NO change, best of luck. If pony is not 14.2, please do the honest thing and don't try to make him measure as something he's not. Size doesn't matter in dressage or eventing, or you can do open classes if your heart is set on hunters. For every rider who uses shady (abusive or not) practices to qualify a "pony", there is an honest kid riding a real pony who stays home.

I actually heard a judge/ steward say that if the pony was some measurement (dont remember if it was 1/4 or 1/8 an inch) over, he would give the lower height. Saying that horses can measure within a certain amount different each time a horse is measured. That is more unlikely that a horse will continuesly measure exactly the same than to get the same number every time. For example a stress horse compared to a relaxed horse.

TheHorseProblem
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:02 PM
So I went on the youtube channel for the OP. I saw what I guess is the pony in question.

This kind of talk about her videos is downright creepy.

Why the need to get into people's business and take them down a notch?

OP, I would like to point out that there is an art to responding to your own threads, and that arguing with every single comment is frowned upon.:(

I hope you and your pony get to go to the finals, and have fun.

Losgelassenheit
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:22 PM

This. OP, measure your pony. It's foolish to even be here asking for suggestions if you haven't even started at square one.

If she's 14.2 or under, congratulations and good luck in trying to reach your goals. If she's over, take the high road. Do not cheat. Think of how it reflects on you, or how it will when you are caught. Please don't perpeptuate the downfall of the industry where human selfishness is more important than the horse's welfare, especially at your age.

RugBug
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:43 PM
If she's 14.2 or under, congratulations and good luck in trying to reach your goals. If she's over, take the high road. Do not cheat. Think of how it reflects on you, or how it will when you are caught.

There are plenty of options that aren't cheating.

Please don't perpeptuate the downfall of the industry where human selfishness is more important than the horse's welfare, especially at your age.

I would venture to guess that a pony that measures has a lot more options in its life than one who doesn't.

rustbreeches
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:59 PM

Why is it creepy? She posted on a public forum, everybody was looking at the pony. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. It isn't creepy if she put the info out there in the first place. I just thought it was ironic that so many people are ripping her a new one, and SHE might be the one too big to go to PF.

I never commented on the pony, her desire to have it stick at 14.2, her manners, typing, riding, the pony's abilities. Just pointed out that it might not be an issue.

Like I said, I don't even know if it was the pony in question. I just asked a question about the rider still fitting a pony in 2 years

Rel6
Jun. 4, 2011, 12:15 AM
Seriously?! She's posting in a public forum with the same username she's uses on youtube...a copy and paste into google and the first hit is a video of her and the pony. I can make all the comments I want about her description, but why not get a first hand look at the pony and make a more educated suggestion?

I bet she's a cutie!!! But she is the exception, not the norm. Without knowing the OPs pony at the time, I was making a general statement that her pony, based on the description, probably would not be competitive at pony finals. I acknowledged that there are of course exceptions (which your horse seems to be, but which the OPs is not.) Also, I never said it isn't worth it. In fact, I suggested she go the eq or jumper route because because the pony most definitely IS worth it. She just will not place in a hunter hack class at pf on the pony.

CadieEstes
Jun. 4, 2011, 12:28 AM
Whether or not anyone on this thread would like to admit it, but way back when I'm sure everyone of you rode a pony that wasn't the fanciest yet still wanted to prove everyone wrong by making it big. I happen to believe in dreams and I'm pretty sure that is what horse back riding is all about, whether your showing in the Green Ponies at Pony Finals or Quarter Horse Congress you should continue to try your best OP and don't let people on the internet bring you down. You pay a trainer for that remember :)

I agree with the statement of finding a respectable trainer, especially if PF is your goal, not easy to qualify.

I also suggest practice, the best way to nail a hard measure is to practice it!

And for everyone else posting, I'm not really sure why anyone is taking this so seriously? A young rider looking for advice with a dream of pony finals? Gosh how awful. If I was being insulted by 25+ 'adult equestrians' at once, I may be a little defensive too.

Good luck with your measure OP

Madeline
Jun. 4, 2011, 12:33 AM

You come on a forum, state that your pony is a little taller than 14.2, and ask how to cheat. Then you get rude to those who are offended that you want advice on cheating.

Here's my advice:Stay in school...

CadieEstes
Jun. 4, 2011, 12:37 AM
When did the OP ask to cheat exactly?

TheHorseProblem
Jun. 4, 2011, 12:38 AM
Seriously?! She's posting in a public forum with the same username she's uses on youtube...a copy and paste into google and the first hit is a video of her and the pony. I can make all the comments I want about her description, but why not get a first hand look at the pony and make a more educated suggestion?

Her questions was not, do you guys think my pony could make it to the finals? Her question was on ways to get your pony to stick under the height limit. She never said anything about her YouTube account. You creeps googled her, watched them, I'm sure with only the purest of intentions--not.

Other warm-hearted sleuths, after determining that she changed her account to private, shared your methods for viewing them against her will.

THAT'S CREEPY.

RugBug
Jun. 4, 2011, 01:03 AM
Her questions was not, do you guys think my pony could make it to the finals? Her question was on ways to get your pony to stick under the height limit. She never said anything about her YouTube account. You creeps googled her, watched them, I'm sure with only the purest of intentions--not.

Other warm-hearted sleuths, after determining that she changed her account to private, shared your methods for viewing them against her will.

THAT'S CREEPY.

1. I find you creepy. ;)

2. OP has a hot topic question but few details. I've always learned to give a worthwhile answer, you need more details. Speaking in hypotheticals is unproductive...and I would hate to see someone give advice that is detrimental due to lack of details.

3. OP was defensive after 1 post...BEFORE there was a dogpile to condemn. In fact, she was the key factor in the dogpile with her responses.

4. After protestations of greatness, coupled with some basic ignorance of SOP, you get to wondering. I wouldn't have gone looking for vids had someone not mentioned they were easy to find, but I'll admit to being curious. Sue me. I don't find that creepy...I find it human.

HenryisBlaisin'
Jun. 4, 2011, 01:11 AM
When did the OP ask to cheat exactly?

OP asked how to make a horse that might be over 14.2 measure at 14.2 or under. That's cheating. If the animal is 14.2 or under and puffs up at measurement, that's one thing. If the rider KNOWS it's over and looks for ways to make it stick under, whether those methods are humane or not, that's trying to get around the rules...i.e. cheating. SO yes, the OP is, in essence, asking how to cheat.

CadieEstes
Jun. 4, 2011, 01:15 AM
The OP clearly stated she was unsure of what exact height her pony measured. She didn't state the pony was clearly too tall and how could she make it measure? She asked if there are ways to help a pony measure easier. At least that is my impression.

If having your horse relaxed while being measured, or not wearing shoes is cheating, we may all be in trouble then.

Rel6
Jun. 4, 2011, 01:24 AM
You creeps googled her, watched them, I'm sure with only the purest of intentions--not.

See that snide little attitude right there? Completely invalidates your whole argument. After people say her and her pony go, they actually had some really nice things to say about her riding and her pony. Much better than making sweeping generalizations abouts breeds because thats all we have to go with.

PonyPenny
Jun. 4, 2011, 02:18 AM
I would suggest taking your pony to a professional pony barn and have them do the measure. There are many tricks in getting a pony to measure and they are not cruel or cheating. It is done all the time. It also affects a ponies value, so I can see why it is important to the OP. It is also done in the junior hunters. A 15.3 7/8 hand Small Junior Hunter can be worth quite a bit more than a 16 hand Large Junior Hunter.

dags
Jun. 4, 2011, 06:52 AM
FWIW, the whole googling her videos, then finding the way around an account suddenly now set to private, when the question did NOT require anyone to see an actual pony, yeah. Ya'll set off my creep factor too. BIG time.

I agree with CadieEstates. No one asked for your opinion on the pony, no one needs to go squashing this kids dreams (or calling them fantasies).

This was the first response to her question, courtesy Rel6 who apparently has nothing better to do the sniff out some poor kids videos on the internet. Maybe the fact that this is the best option she has for spending her time is what creeps me out.

I'm going to sound completely snotty and I'm gearing up for a flame suit but...most "appendix/arab cross grade pony"s are not going to be competitive at pony finals in the large pony hunters (even in greens). I say most, because there are always exceptions. If your pony can jump 3'3'' cleanly, I'd shoot for pony jumpers if you have you heart seat on pony finals (if your pony is, in fact, a pony.)

So. Snot was announced and served in the very first response to her. Along with unsolicited opinions that have ZERO to do with the question. Plenty (the majority, actually) of ponies show up at Finals with no chance at ribboning. Qualifying is not hard.

This thread just really gets my goat and makes me wonder why anyone bothers coming here to "learn".

And no, with the traditional (non surgical/lame inducing) techniques, if the pony measures 14.2h by an official steward, its not cheating. Consider the inverse: Top of the line pony comes out high and suddenly measures 14.2 1/8h. Height fluctuates, there are legitimate ways to make sure it doesn't fluctuate against you.

Event4Life
Jun. 4, 2011, 06:57 AM
And no, with the traditional (non surgical/lame inducing) techniques, if the pony measures 14.2h by an official steward, its not cheating. Consider the inverse: Top of the line pony comes out high and suddenly measures 14.2 1/8h. Height fluctuates, there are legitimate ways to make sure it doesn't fluctuate against you.

This is what gets me about this thread too. If the pony was super fancy and rider had *posted* pictures of her and her super fancy top of the line bred welsh pony, who by a bad stroke of luck was a hair or 2 above 14.2, I wonder what peoples responses would have been? I know ponies are bred to be specific heights as well as everything else, but sometimes luck goes against even the top breeders & I bet people don't sham them for using legitimate methods to get their ponies to measure.

Pennywell Bay
Jun. 4, 2011, 07:20 AM
Lots of top barns spend hours training and practicing with their ponies to teach them to stand "just so" etc.

It is not much different than practicing with your in-hand HB to stand "just so" to hide tiny flaws, or heck- DON'T let them stand to hide that minor toe out..... Happens ALL.THE.TIME.

Clearing the term "shaving" was used by a novice.

The OP got a lot of good advice on little tricks the pros use. I think as more seasoned horse-people, we should welcome her back and hope that as well as learning some "tricks of the trade" - perhaps she learned some life lessons on what is expected on a public forum. Now, we have the chance to act as "real horse-people" and pros and be gracious.

enjoytheride
Jun. 4, 2011, 08:13 AM
I think the ganging up on a child is uncalled for and really really nasty. She has never asked to cheat once. She has held her own against a bunch of adults who are dead set against her even attemtping to qualify for pony finals.

In the western world and the arab world you shave a horse's muzzle with a razor to get the hair right down to the skin. You are not actually shaving the horse's bone off. Asking what shaving the withers is a curiousity question.

It seems like every single person out there who has a pony who just might not measure is very very worried about that, and would use common methods like making sure the pony is relaxed and the pony has just been trimmed or is barefoot. Why is this suddenly cheating if a kid does it?

Googling the kid then telling them that their pony doesn't jump well enough to even bother is frankly creepy and rude. Why does it matter so bad that you tell her that she's not going to win? How about let her see if her pony measures and have fun as a kid? Why look up her videos, analyze her horse's breed, critique her riding and her pony?

Telling the kid right off the bat that her beloved pony isn't the right bred so don't even bother is nasty. How many "welsh" ponies out there have some vague breeding in them that if you look close enough is actually arabian because nobody wants to admit it?

Congratulations for teaching a kid that the real world is just as cruel and bitchy as the kid world, while telling the kid that she needs to grow up.

Rel6
Jun. 4, 2011, 08:23 AM
Along with unsolicited opinions that have ZERO to do with the question. Plenty (the majority, actually) of ponies show up at Finals with no chance at ribboning. Qualifying is not hard.

You realize your entire post was just as unsolicited as anyone else's, right? And very little of it had anything to do with the question either.

Moderator 1
Jun. 4, 2011, 09:20 AM
As this thread is dealing primarily with various aspects of "netiquette," is getting contentious, and the OP has clearly decided to back away from things, we're going to close it.

Best wishes to the OP and her pony, in whatever goals she steers themselves toward.
Mod 1