PDA

View Full Version : Jumping exercises for green horses

greenwoodeq
Jun. 2, 2011, 05:27 PM
I have a few green jumpers and I have been wanting to add depth to their jump training. What are some good jump exercises you use for your green horses?

Petstorejunkie
Jun. 2, 2011, 05:47 PM
define GREEN and what it means to you?

to me, a green horse should not be jumping, but to me a green horse is still learning how to balance themselves back on their haunches and be straight.
My guess is your definition of green is different than mine

trabern
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:56 PM
Just spent much of my week trying to keep my greenies from jumping at every blown weed and crinkle and from taking flight over invisible obstacles I never saw. Had no thought of showing them additional things to jump. So your question made me smile. :) From the my-greenies-are-greener-than-should-be camp.

greenwoodeq
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:00 PM
Sorry for not clarifying how green they are... these are my baby green/ pre-green show level hunters... Newer to jumping, but still getting around courses nicely. Developed through the neck and hind, straight, and can properly take small fences at correct distances without rider assistance (free jump or on lunge).

eqhntr78
Jun. 3, 2011, 02:49 PM
My go-to's for adding depth and something different to a normal training routine are three things:
1) Gymnastics (you can set them up so many different ways, but my favorite is 2' verticle to a 2'3 oxer to a 2'6 verticle to a 2'9 oxer. Alternating really makes them think and jump properly. You can always adjust heights as needed.

2) Circle jumps; helps them learn to really balance around corners and jump at angles (equitations classes as example)

3) Bounce Gymnastics: I always keep these at lower heights, but it is something different to make the horse and rider think.

All of these can be done with a rider aboard or off a lunge line.