PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Food to Bring to Horse Show for Lunch

ParadoxFarm
Jun. 2, 2011, 04:05 PM
I'm tired of show food. I'm going to a schooling show this weekend, and want to bring my own lunch. I don't want a hamburger. So, what are some good alternatives that will pack well in a cooler? It will be HOT and HUMID this weekend, and I don't have a refrigerator in my trailer, so a cooler will have to do. I was thinking a chicken salad (with light mayo), but having second thoughts since mayo/heat, not good. I don't trust it even in the cooler.

I'm good with my snacks and stuff (fruit, granola-type bars), and drinks. I just need some lunch ideas. :)

Thanks!

ambar
Jun. 2, 2011, 04:09 PM
I've been known to pack sandwich makings (bread, cheese, meat, mustard). I've also been known to throw together a bean-tuna salad with a viniagrette dressing, no mayo woes. If you're a salad and chicken breast kind of person, pack the dressing separately and the salad won't be soggy at lunch time.

JB
Jun. 2, 2011, 04:11 PM
If the cooler is big enough to put enough ice, the mayo won't go bad. But mayo and your hot stomach may not mesh lol

We actually make tuna/egg salad/potato salad with a lot more mustard than mayo so that's an option.

There is also the option of deli meats to eat with mustard and not mayo. Or an all-veggie sandwich with some combo of lettuce, peppers, onion, cucumber, and more.

airineek
Jun. 2, 2011, 04:17 PM
My favorite healthy horse show food is assorted sliced cheeses on whole wheat crackers with some grapes and strawberries. Finger food...and the protein and fat in the cheese keeps me full all day. We also (depending on the show or event) sometimes have a little wine on hand. I have kept chicken salad in the cooler before as well as lobster and crab dip, also eaten over crackers. Mmm, now I'm hungry.

TarheelJD
Jun. 2, 2011, 04:25 PM
You can get those little packets of mayo that they have at restaurants and delis that don't need to be refrigerated (because they have yet to be opened), then open them and mix up with your other chicken/tuna salad ingredients and spread on bread or crackers when you are ready to eat.

LulaBell
Jun. 2, 2011, 04:27 PM
You could always just stick with the tried and true - a turkey sandwich with mustard, lettuce, tomato, and onion. My favorite is the super-thin sliced fresh(er) deli meat, they also have it in a chicken breast that is delish. IME this travels better than anything else!

redancepony
Jun. 2, 2011, 04:44 PM
My favorite healthy horse show food is assorted sliced cheeses on whole wheat crackers with some grapes and strawberries. Finger food...and the protein and fat in the cheese keeps me full all day. We also (depending on the show or event) sometimes have a little wine on hand. I have kept chicken salad in the cooler before as well as lobster and crab dip, also eaten over crackers. Mmm, now I'm hungry.

Oooh! I want to go to horse shows with you! Sounds delicious! :)

gottagrey
Jun. 2, 2011, 05:09 PM
For breakfast you could pack hardboiled eggs (protein) or some prepackaged cereal or cereal bars..

Lunch - ham or smoked turkey sandwiches w/avocado (instead of mayo) - smoked meats do better, or BLT.. if you wanted to be really healthy you could make sandwiches in a lettuce wraps instead of using bread (thanks Bravo/Top Chef)

Leprechaun
Jun. 2, 2011, 05:11 PM
I do sandwiches with grainy bread, lemon hummus & tons of veggies - put a leaf of lettuce over each slice of bread, then fill - no soggy sammie. Even my kids love them. Don't have to worry about hummus like mayo. Grapes, chips, water & a little chocolate. Short of some nice wine and a good lawn chair, what more could you want?!?

ponymom64
Jun. 2, 2011, 05:12 PM
I sometimes pack a pasta salad of roasted chicken, grape tomatoes, grilled onions, roasted red peppers, feta cheese and toasted pine nuts tossed with some olive oil -very easy to make the night before and tastes much better when left overnight.

Or a toasted baguette rubbed with a garlic clove, spread with goat cheese and filled with roasted vegetables and sun dried tomatoes, drizzled with the oil from the tomatoes, wrapped very tightly in plastic wrap and left in the fridge overnight for the flavors to meld.

Both can be just thrown in the cooler right before you leave and will keep all day

Event4Life
Jun. 2, 2011, 05:15 PM
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/middle-eastern-vegetable-salad-recipe/index.html my favourite salad ever, can be put in pita bread for finger food!

Another one I do for on the go when I'm at uni all day is cold pesto pasta. Grilled veggies - I usually use red onions and peppers, penne pasta, and a tablespoon or 2 of pesto. Add fresh mozzarella if you like. Can be eaten cold and will keep for a day or 2 if its in a sealed Tupperware.

Our moms would also bring fruit salad, crackers/cheese, etc - things that could be put in a cooler and eaten with fingers out of Tupperware's.

KBC
Jun. 2, 2011, 05:18 PM
Ponymom can I come to lunch at your trailer please?

Mtn trails
Jun. 2, 2011, 06:28 PM
Mayo is pasturized so it would take a very long time at high temps to make it go bad. I trail ride a lot (see user name) and always take a tuna sandwich and this is during the heat of summer. It sits in my saddlebag until lunch time and have never, ever had a problem with spoilage. So go ahead and have your mayo based salads, you'll be fine. Trust me.:)

Tap2Tango
Jun. 2, 2011, 07:25 PM
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/middle-eastern-vegetable-salad-recipe/index.html my favourite salad ever, can be put in pita bread for finger food!

Another one I do for on the go when I'm at uni all day is cold pesto pasta. Grilled veggies - I usually use red onions and peppers, penne pasta, and a tablespoon or 2 of pesto. Add fresh mozzarella if you like. Can be eaten cold and will keep for a day or 2 if its in a sealed Tupperware.

Our moms would also bring fruit salad, crackers/cheese, etc - things that could be put in a cooler and eaten with fingers out of Tupperware's.

Just added that to my bookmarks!

Bravestrom
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:05 PM
My two sons event and they can easily go through 60 dollars worth of food at an event if I don't bring food.

We have several standard menus that I alternate through the season.

We have a huge blue cooler - I freeze a big water bottle and it easily keeps everything cool enough

Croissants with various topings including salami and cheese, egg salad and other topings.

Macaroni Salad and cold baked chicken (the chicken is coated in parmasan and grated graham crumbs then baked - I like the drumsticks and boys like the breasts - not a joke).

Pasta salad with asian sesame salad dressing

Sometimes hubby does the habachi with precooked sausages

Veggie tray with dip.

Crackers and cheese, fruit tray.

On really cold days I do a big chilli - heat it in the oven early in the morning, wrap it in towels and it is perfect at lunch with warm buns

findeight
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:10 PM
Protein and whole grains are best. I have always like hard boiled egg with a little mustard and peanut butter on either celery or whole grain crackers. Tuna on whole grain crackers too, need a tupperware tub but the bread gets soggy if you try to make a sandwich. And, if all else fails, a PBJ on whole grain bread with "real" peanut butter-containing peanuts and sea salt ONLY- and "just fruit" spread jelly or jam is a good choice and takes alot of abuse in the temperature department.

You need protein, you need whole grains or fiber to slow absorbtion of the protein down.

Quick story, very applicable. In Viet Nam the military realized they sent pilots up that faced death, saw friends killed, killed [people] and crashed 1 mile short of the runway coming home and killed themselves trashing a baziilion dollar machine.

Why? Adrenline saps blood suger and low blood sugar=degraded performance. NASA verified this basic axiom.

So, even if you are not chasing MIGS or walking on the moon? When you are scared, you use adreneline and that saps blood sugar that makes you weak and not so sharp mentally.

Treat yourself right when you show, be like a fighter or athlete, EAT protein...and sugar and caffeine are A-OK about an hour out.

happypants
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:48 PM
I have found that the only way to cure the hunger pangs is to eat protein only. Eggs, low fat, nitrate free lunch meats, grilled chix breast, fat free cheeses and cottage cheese, fat free Greek yogurt, etc. You will fuel up and can eat what you want guilt free but not feel like you are starving. Also drink tons of water.

EmJ628
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:10 PM
I like to make the Suddenly Pasta Salad (has a vinagerette-type dressing) and mix in sliced grape tomatoes, fresh spinach leaves, shredded carrots and chunks/slices of grilled chicken. Will keep in the cooler, you can easily make a large batch if you want, and wraps up all the food groups in one! ;)

Simbalism
Jun. 3, 2011, 02:42 AM
I make my chicken salad with some red onion, cut up apples, dried cherries or cranberries, and pecans. I then get the small sandwich rolls(maybe 2inches square-freeze first as it makes them easier to cut). Put a spoon of chicken salad on and then I put them in a rubbermaid container. Easy to share, not too heavy as you only get a few bites with each sandwich. I routinely make these when I go to horsey activities as they stay cool(can practically submerge the container), so no mayo spoilage. I also like cut up pineapple, grapes, sweet cherries, strawberries, blueberries. If you make a fruit salad, you could put some vanilla yogurt over the fruit. Cheese and crackers is good also. Sometimes I will get either pepperoni or salami to go with.
I sometimes make potato salad with no mayo, but a combo of italian dressing and dijon mustard. Macaroni salad with cherry or grape tomatos, red onion, cucumber, green pepper, feta cheese and some Kraft Sun Dried Tomato dressing is good too. You could even add some shrimp in if you like that. Something else that is quick to make is something I use with nacho chips. Sort of a relish, cut up tomatos, red onions, corn, black beans, green pepper, a small amount of taco seasoning. You could also bring a little sour cream to dip with.

Guin
Jun. 3, 2011, 06:32 AM
No mayo on anything. If you must have some, bring those little packets like you get at a McDonalds. You can make yourself a chef salad to bring: hardboiled egg, sliced ham, turkey and cheese in one tupperware. Keep lettuce and veggies in another tupperware and mix them when you get there. Protein is the key, like other posters have said.

ParadoxFarm
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks for all the excellent ideas, everyone! I'm overly impressed with the food you bring to shows. I'm going shopping!!! And I forgot all about the little mayo packets. Great idea as well.

Can't wait to pack my cooler and realize I don't have to eat a hamburger! My husband will enjoy it as well (the word's greatest groom!). :)

Everythingbutwings
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:47 AM
Trixie is vegetarian, which makes horse show food packing quite fun and inexpensive. We take along fresh fruit salad (lots of strawberries, pineapple and raspberries!), roasted veggie rollups with oak leaf lettuce and provolone cheese, 7-layer mexican dip w/frito scoops, brie, crackers, jalapeno pimento cheese, brownies and cookies. All things I can make the night before and pack in the cooler. I surround the food with frozen bottles of water and use a very well insulated cooler.

A couple of years ago, a local Giant grocery carried block ice, which was a wonderful change from bags of cubes which melt so fast. Sadly, they don't carry that anymore. :(

Guin
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:56 AM
A couple of years ago, a local Giant grocery carried block ice, which was a wonderful change from bags of cubes which melt so fast. Sadly, they don't carry that anymore. :(

You can make your own! Fill a big tupperware or cooking pot with water and stick it in the freezer uncovered for a few days. :yes: I do this in the summer for my bunny rabbit. He likes to sit close to the big block of ice to stay cool.

Everythingbutwings
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:02 AM
You can make your own! Fill a big tupperware or cooking pot with water and stick it in the freezer uncovered for a few days. :yes: I do this in the summer for my bunny rabbit. He likes to sit close to the big block of ice to stay cool.

Oh, to have the room to do that! Both our freezers have this tendency to be stuffed full. :)

I have an assortment of coolers. If we are going to a show where there will be lots of our friends, I bring along two, one for beverages (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM2473808301P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3) and the other for the food (http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=6263A721&categoryid=8560&brand=). Makes keeping the perishables cold much easier.

Trixie
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:02 AM
That assumes that there's room in ETBW's freezer. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ParadoxFarm
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:47 AM
Everythingbutwings, great idea on separate cooler for drinks. I will do that, too. And I better go fill a bottle with water and stick it in the freezer RIGHT NOW or I will forget. You all rock!

Giddy-up
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:08 PM
You guys are making my PBJ & G-2 look pathetic. :lol:

Big_Grey_hunter
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:30 PM
ETBW- What exactly is your freezer full of? Do we need to send the police to look for bodies?

Everythingbutwings
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:58 PM
ETBW- What exactly is your freezer full of? Do we need to send the police to look for bodies?

At least one pork sirloin roast, 6 or more Wegman's Kosher Chickens, chuck roasts, sirloin steaks (for chili!), boneless chicken breasts, chicken thighs, pork chops, puff pastry, pie dough, cookie dough, phyllo dough, cheddar cheese, swiss cheese, mozzarella cheese, a gallon of Mr. Wings' mesquite smoked pork barbecue, white american cheese, ground beef, tuna steaks, backfin crabmeat, shrimp, frozen peaches (from co-worker's farm!), blueberries, pearl onions, chicken stock, 2 chateabriand cut tenderloin roasts, filet mignons, duck, a brined turkey breast, ice cream, frozen tomatoes, basil, chicken sausages, hot italian sausage, seafood sausages, ground lamb, ground pork, ground buffalo, multiple rib eye steaks, a highly expensive (Mr. Wings went to Balducci's in Old Town Alexandria) prime rib roast, boxes of chopped spinach, bags of broccoli florets, strawberries, daiquiri mix, lemonade, freezer packs, and a bunch of stuff I've forgotten. :winkgrin:

forestergirl99
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:34 PM
At least one pork sirloin roast, 6 or more Wegman's Kosher Chickens, chuck roasts, sirloin steaks (for chili!), boneless chicken breasts, chicken thighs, pork chops, puff pastry, pie dough, cookie dough, phyllo dough, cheddar cheese, swiss cheese, mozzarella cheese, a gallon of Mr. Wings' mesquite smoked pork barbecue, white american cheese, ground beef, tuna steaks, backfin crabmeat, shrimp, frozen peaches (from co-worker's farm!), blueberries, pearl onions, chicken stock, 2 chateabriand cut tenderloin roasts, filet mignons, duck, a brined turkey breast, ice cream, frozen tomatoes, basil, chicken sausages, hot italian sausage, seafood sausages, ground lamb, ground pork, ground buffalo, multiple rib eye steaks, a highly expensive (Mr. Wings went to Balducci's in Old Town Alexandria) prime rib roast, boxes of chopped spinach, bags of broccoli florets, strawberries, daiquiri mix, lemonade, freezer packs, and a bunch of stuff I've forgotten. :winkgrin:

:eek::eek::eek: Can I move in with you?? You have the best stockpile ever.

goodmorning
Jun. 3, 2011, 02:04 PM
I like pasta salads (non-mayo though!) - and you can buy tomato, basil, and hearty-grain pasta to make it last. Pesto, balsamic, sherry vinegar - so many options - chicken, tuna, beans, turkey, pepperoni - grilled veggies, sauteed veggies, feta, cheddar...you can pick your flavor & go with it.

A black bean & corn salad - Guy's on the foodnetwork.com is a good starter recipe - the pineapple is a nice little jolt of freshness on a particularly hot day.

Cucumber salad.

I need carbs on a hot day, just a few, so I like a nice turkey or chicken sandwich, or an extra heap of pasta salad :yes:

2DogsFarm
Jun. 3, 2011, 02:10 PM
http://homecooking.about.com/od/howtocookwithcondiments/a/mayospoilage.htm

There you go.

That said:
I agree with those who bring finger foods high in protein and skimp on the sugar.

Easy to grab a hunk of cheese, baby carrot or piece of fruit to munch between classes.
And you'll feel better for eating those than something sugary.

Any decent cooler with some icepacks will keep food cold all day.
You can also freeze bottles of water or juice then use them to keep food cold - as they melt you have an ice-cold drink too :yes:

LulaBell
Jun. 3, 2011, 02:16 PM
Goodness ETBW, YUM!

fordtraktor
Jun. 3, 2011, 02:23 PM
A bag of Red Vines.

Did I admit that? Oops. In my defense, anything non-sugar seems to upset my very sensitive digestive tract when stressed, like at a horse show. I don't eat hamburgers either, anything fatty, fried, or fibrous is guaranteed to make me ill. So I just make sure I munch on pure, refined sugar all day. :)

I wonder if I have horse-show-onset celiac/lactose/protein intolerance or something. I do eat healthfully at home!

If I had ETBW's spread, though, I think I'd willingly be sick just to enjoy the deliciousness!

MyssMyst
Jun. 3, 2011, 02:27 PM

Wow! :eek::eek: I want to move in!

fivehorses
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:57 PM
I am coming to your shows. Wow, yummy.

Pirateer
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:25 PM
I lasted one day at the last horse show, having a plain hamburger from the food stand.

After that I brought black forest ham and sharp cheddar sandwiches. NOM. Kept 'em cold with frozen nalgene bottles, which I then transferred into my drinking water bottle. Next day I brought pieces of pepperjack and mountain goat sausage.

High protein is your best bet.

spacytracy
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:11 PM
I pack things for my DD on trips (not shows - yet!) that start frozen and thaw.

I know they sound kiddie but go-gurts (tube-shaped yogurt) can be frozen and by lunchtime are thawed out. Uncrustable pbj sandwiches, same thing. String cheese stays good in a cooler too. And a gatorade that's been frozen overnight.

Im about simple things that you can grab and not have to assemble, that contain a bit of protein to keep you satisfied for awhile.

Trixie
Jun. 4, 2011, 10:19 AM
ETBW is not a believer in suffering, particularly not in the sort of manner that involves whatever comes off the griddle at most horse shows (besides my egg and cheese sandwich, which I insist on). Our tailgate is generally quite lovely.

We also do things like tortellini pasta salad or quiche, salsa and chips, and a crudite tray with dip. Stuff that's easy and healthy to snack on.

hijumpin1
Jun. 4, 2011, 02:39 PM
I always bring a bag of cashews. They're a great protein source, and don't require any special packing.

rgbengg
Oct. 12, 2011, 12:38 AM
my amazing horse buckets
treats
all tack
extra saddle pads-I forgot mine once, oops:/
grooming supplies,
my cloths
sheet/cooler for horse if it’s windy or whatever
rags/towels
water
hay
hay bags
I bring my horses grain for lunch
...I probly forgot a bunch of stuff but I hope I helped
happy riding good luck with your show!:)

cottonXCblondie
Oct. 12, 2011, 01:56 PM
i make a sorta-chicken-salad.

bake chicken breasts in lemon juice then cube. slice up some red grapes and celery and an apple. combine all with toasted walnuts and stonyfield honey vanilla greek yogurt then eat out of the container or wrap in lettuce or in lettuce and a wheat wrap. amAHzing.

fruit. cheese cubes. pistachios. pasta salad with kidney/garbanzo beans and cheese, tossed in kraft greek vinaigrette dressing (bring mints/mouthwash; it's herby but delish).

Event4Life
Oct. 12, 2011, 03:08 PM
i make a sorta-chicken-salad.

bake chicken breasts in lemon juice then cube. slice up some red grapes and celery and an apple. combine all with toasted walnuts and stonyfield honey vanilla greek yogurt then eat out of the container or wrap in lettuce or in lettuce and a wheat wrap. amAHzing.

fruit. cheese cubes. pistachios. pasta salad with kidney/garbanzo beans and cheese, tossed in kraft greek vinaigrette dressing (bring mints/mouthwash; it's herby but delish).

OMG that chicken salad sounds like heaven. I'm definitely going to remember to try it for lunch next week.

amylmac
Oct. 12, 2011, 03:57 PM
Healthy food at horse shows????? That's almost sacrilegious!!!!! Seriously though, alot of the horse shows have some type of food that can be considered healthy. All of the recipes mentioned sound very nice also. Me..I live for the ribs and barbecue at Upperville.