PDA

View Full Version : Dressage Fashion

Velvet
Jun. 2, 2011, 02:08 PM
I think Lauren missed some of the things we've talked about out here. Look at her blog: http://chronofhorse.com/article/fashion-forward

I want velvet collars. More colors that make a statement (I see more people saying that out here). Prettier stock ties. I would also LOVE to see a double vented (for real, not fake) dressage coat. I would like a more tailored long hunt coat style. JMO!

Oh, and colored shirts and stocks that match with the coats. I'd like to see tweeds, etc. at the lower levels. :sigh: Ah, for the old days. I'd also love to see someone make some really nice gray (pearl gray) breeches and even some nice rust and forest green ones. I like the classics. ;)

Bugs-n-Frodo
Jun. 2, 2011, 02:21 PM
I want fun. I like the idea of pretty buttons and velvet collars in lots of colors. I LOVE color and while I also like the traditional look of dressage, I feel that adding a little color and personality would not take away from the over traditional look. Also, I have a serious bone to pick with the powers that be about dressage saddle schooling pads. Who the heck said we have to school in just white, black, and the occasional blue? I want COLOR!!! I am specifically looking for a deep purple color, almost indigo, for a schooling pad. Frankly, I work my BUTT OFF schooling dressage and developing my horse, I feel we deserve to have a little fun if we so choose. :yes:;) And, if it ever happens that we do get some pretty colored velvet collars, yes, I want mine to be indigo.

Cowgirl
Jun. 2, 2011, 02:33 PM
Apparently what we need, according to the same tired, scorched topics that pop up here every now and again, is Dressage Mu-mus...in big flowered patterns to cover up the jiggle that offends a few posters here.

cyndi
Jun. 2, 2011, 03:19 PM
If you want pretty buttons, do what I did. Go to a high end fabric store and buy replacements. Not cheap - probably $30 to replace the coat and cuff buttons - but really adds a LOT.

I, too, would love to see more choices, esp in coats. I love the idea of a velvet collar and since I sew, may try to 'retro-engineer' an existing collar. I also would love a tiny tweed/stripe with a hint of color.

That said, I do love RJ Classics coats. I have one I got on sale for $99 online and it's the MOST beautiful lightweight tropical wool. Beautiful "hand" and very pretty cream lining. But, UGLY buttons. See above. ;)

Velvet
Jun. 2, 2011, 04:20 PM
If you want pretty buttons, do what I did. Go to a high end fabric store and buy replacements. Not cheap - probably $30 to replace the coat and cuff buttons - but really adds a LOT.

I, too, would love to see more choices, esp in coats. I love the idea of a velvet collar and since I sew, may try to 'retro-engineer' an existing collar. I also would love a tiny tweed/stripe with a hint of color.

That said, I do love RJ Classics coats. I have one I got on sale for $99 online and it's the MOST beautiful lightweight tropical wool. Beautiful "hand" and very pretty cream lining. But, UGLY buttons. See above. ;)

Another thing to try is going to thrift stores and finding old jackets that have really pretty buttons. You can often get them super cheap that way! And then there are the ones you can buy online that are antique. Love that, too. Fun buttons are a must.

I do like that she said most coats should have simple colors for the lining. I agree. I don't need a funky color on the inside. If the wind takes it, you might see it, but who cares? Put the fun on the outside!

BTW, I thought RJ only made hunt coats. Shows how little I know!

honeylips
Jun. 2, 2011, 07:36 PM
My show coats have contrasting pretty velvet collars (Pikeur and Cavallo). I have 2 pairs of dove gray breeches - Cavallo. Also have pretty shinyish fabric stock ties and damask print tone on tone stock ties. All these things on the wish list are pretty well available at least out here on the Left Coast and vendors like SmartPak
http://www.smartpakequine.com/elt-dressage-frock-8347p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

I tend to replace buttons by going to Jo-Ann fabric and getting pretty buttons and doing them myself - really makes them nice.

I've also found gorgeous hair bow/bun holders in pretty colors - burgundy, pink, dark green, brown, black etc - for $10 at a local Chinese market!

Where there is a will - there's a way!

Valentina_32926
Jun. 6, 2011, 12:02 PM
I second Velvet's suggestion of gray britches - I hate white britches. What idiot ever selected the color white to be worn around horses? Even if you had a grrom do all the work all it takes is one snotty nose to be filthy!

I also would like velvet collars - maybe a nice pinstripe (very thin burgundy stripe on lighter gray with darker gray britches) with a gray velvet color with burgundy or black piping.

Another thought - when jackets are waived - how about a nice vest - looks sporty with clean lines at the same time? In this case same gray as the britches (to make line even "cleaner" with burgundy accents (thin collar, buttons, etc.) or zip up - no buttons - since it matches britches appears as a jump suit with white sleeves (or not) showing.

atr
Jun. 6, 2011, 03:50 PM
I have pearl grey breeches. They look a million times better than white when coats are waived. I've got matching grey gloves too... My white ones just get hideous.

Tweed jackets look lovely, but are just too danged hot for this part of the world. I was ring stewarding a couple of years ago and had a (beet red) lady refuse my offer to hold her tweed coat for her while she warmed up... she ended up passing out instead and then throwing up on my shoes.

My favorite jacket is mynon-traditional lightweight, stretchy Arista with the zip front. It's tricky to get the right collar look under it as a stock tie is too bulky and one doesn't want to end up looking like a vicar, but it's about a thousand degrees cooler than my Pikeur. I've got a white ratcatcher and a pretty antique diamante pin that I will try out this year...

Though to be honest, if coats are waived, I'm on it, pale blue shirt, grey breeches and all. I'm a lowly lower level rider anyway riding a ridiculous spotted circus horse, no-one's looking at me.

dressagedevon
Jun. 6, 2011, 04:49 PM
I know it has been covered but are there any inexpensive grey breeches out there? I really want them (I hate white), but really don't want to spend more than 150.00.

colorfan
Jun. 9, 2011, 03:01 PM
Sometimes I am not sure if I should start a new thread or just ask a question.

I am hoping to go to a show and have had somesome refer me to a certain show jacket. It is a lovely Pikeur but it is wool.

Even here in the northern part of the world it can be hot(for us) during the summer.
Does one really have to wear wool in order to be appropriately dressed?

thank you for help.

(lower level dressage)

Velvet
Jun. 9, 2011, 03:18 PM
Sometimes I am not sure if I should start a new thread or just ask a question.

I am hoping to go to a show and have had somesome refer me to a certain show jacket. It is a lovely Pikeur but it is wool.

Even here in the northern part of the world it can be hot(for us) during the summer.
Does one really have to wear wool in order to be appropriately dressed?

thank you for help.

(lower level dressage)

It's funny. A lightweight wool can actually breath pretty well on those 70 to low 80 degree days (the black is what makes you bake in the sun). Anything above that, you can't even stand it for the amount of time it takes to ride your test. So the arena/ring temp are more important than air temp!

With that said, I used to always show in lightweight wool and never had a major problem. Now that I'm older, I prefer the other blends (I have a newer high tech Pikeur) that are a bit lighter and more high tech when it's REALLY hot (right before they waive jackets).

Go for it, if it's cheap. Just don't show in July or August. ;) Who wants to anyway? It's hot everywhere that time of year! :lol:

nomeolvides
Jun. 9, 2011, 03:25 PM
Charlotte Dujardin had a really unusual jacket for the dressage display at Badminton this year. I think it was the Bonaparte on this page. (http://www.moloh.com/clothing/jackets/)

KatherineC
Jun. 9, 2011, 03:33 PM
I am on the hunt for a stock tie pin with an amber colored center stone to match the gold points of the shadbelly. Not having much success as the ones I am finding are too big and sparkly. But will keep searching.

I found some lovely white gloves last year with stitching on the cuffs that remind me of Chanel.

Petstorejunkie
Jun. 9, 2011, 05:39 PM
Charlotte Dujardin had a really unusual jacket for the dressage display at Badminton this year. I think it was the Bonaparte on this page. (http://www.moloh.com/clothing/jackets/)
ZOMG, that site is dangerous! I wish the whole selection was competition appropriate. I'd wear half of them, I swear!

Carol O
Jun. 9, 2011, 10:40 PM
I wish we could wear polo shirts; colored polo shirts.

MelanieC
Jun. 9, 2011, 11:50 PM
I know it has been covered but are there any inexpensive grey breeches out there? I really want them (I hate white), but really don't want to spend more than 150.00.

I too would like to know where these pearl/dove grey breeches come from.

cyndi
Jun. 9, 2011, 11:53 PM

You can when coats are waived. I do it all the time at recognized shows. I wear pale yellow with my bays and it looks very sharp.

atr
Jun. 9, 2011, 11:59 PM
My pale grey breeches are Gersemmi. I got them on sale for $75. The matching gloves were $7.

Bear in mind I live in the Wild West. Every couple of years, our local more western oriented tack shop gets a new buyer who stocks up on improbably expensive English gear, and a year later it goes on fire-sale markdown. I have Pikeur Lagunas that I got for $70.00... Then we have a couple of years of total crap, wouldn't-wear-it-in-public stuff. Then the cycle begins again. At the moment, along with the scary almost see-through tights that no-one over the age of 14 should wear, they have full-price Kentucky jackets and breeches. I'm looking forward to the tent sale next year.

They don't seem to get the concept of a happy medium.

Carol O
Jun. 10, 2011, 11:59 PM
You can when coats are waived. I do it all the time at recognized shows. I wear pale yellow with my bays and it looks very sharp.

The polo short is very sporty looking. I wonder what Under Armour could come up with for us...

J-Lu
Jun. 11, 2011, 12:16 AM
I think Lauren missed some of the things we've talked about out here. Look at her blog: http://chronofhorse.com/article/fashion-forward

I want velvet collars. More colors that make a statement (I see more people saying that out here). Prettier stock ties. I would also LOVE to see a double vented (for real, not fake) dressage coat. I would like a more tailored long hunt coat style. JMO!

Oh, and colored shirts and stocks that match with the coats. I'd like to see tweeds, etc. at the lower levels. :sigh: Ah, for the old days. I'd also love to see someone make some really nice gray (pearl gray) breeches and even some nice rust and forest green ones. I like the classics. ;)

There are velvet collars. There are people who wear colored coats that make a statement (navy, blue, satin-blue, green, etc). There are people who show in double vented coats (I do). There are people who show in tweed coats, and people who show in colored shirts right there in Houston. There are people who show in beige and grey breeches. All of this falls under the rules for dressage. Go check the rules out.

If you like these fabrics, just go show in them.

SBrentnall
Jun. 12, 2011, 03:44 PM
I am on the hunt for a stock tie pin with an amber colored center stone to match the gold points of the shadbelly. Not having much success as the ones I am finding are too big and sparkly. But will keep searching.

I have the Bay browband and matching stock pin from www.simplechangebrowbands.com (http://www.simplechangebrowbands.com/accessories.html)

I love the stones, and if I get tired of the browband, I just clip out the chain and clip in a different one.

Their prices are very reasonable, too.

SBrentnall
Jun. 12, 2011, 03:46 PM

You can. Here's what I wear when jackets are waived: White polo with black trim from Goode Rider, white Verden breeches from Sonnenreiter, black belt.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/SBrentnall/Phox/CoolAugustNights3.jpg

Lateralwork
Jun. 12, 2011, 03:53 PM
Just don't show in July or August. Who wants to anyway? It's hot everywhere that time of year!

Except in the Pacific NW -- July & August finally, maybe, warm up into the 70's; especially this year! July & August are the only two months you can show here without being wet & cold.