PDA

View Full Version : Yavapai Downs

ctanner
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:33 AM
Is the shut down of Yavapai Downs, Prescott, AZ effecting any one on this board?

EponaRoan
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:11 PM
It's effecting some people I know, but not me personally.

It's a shame. The track isn't that old.

DLee
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:09 PM
Wow I didn't realize they had done that. A friend of ours built the barns when we were living out there not that long ago.

sonomacounty
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:07 PM
Is this a tb, sb, qh track?

Sad, another one gone.

EponaRoan
Jun. 4, 2011, 01:30 AM
Thoroughbred.

It could come back. It's all about the taxes/state. The whole shebang was very last minute & is a big frackkin' mess.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/2011/05/28/20110528prescott-horse-track-cancels-race-season.html

Glimmerglass
Nov. 22, 2011, 08:05 PM
Arizona Republic Nov 22, 2011 "Court orders sale of Yavapai Downs" (http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/2011/11/21/20111121court-orders-yavapai-downs-sale.html)

George Cunningham, owner and designated broker of Phoenix-based auctioneering firm Cunningham & Associates, said his company has been assigned the task of seeking bidders for the racetrack property, along with its adjacent auto-racing venue Prescott Valley Raceway and the surrounding Yavapai County Fairgrounds.

The fairgrounds property consists of eight separate parcels totaling 125 acres, with a total assessed full cash value of $18.2 million, according to Cunningham.

In addition to the land, millions of dollars worth of equipment and other assets also will be sold, Cunningham said, the proceeds to go toward repaying the association's creditors as much as possible.

Yavapai Downs was completely redeveloped in 2009, funded by a multimillion- dollar loan from the U.S. Department of Agriculture Rural Development agency.

State records show attendance fell annually from 60,438 in 2005 to 32,147 in 2010.

How the USDA was a participant in funding the place - and now all US tax payers are out $14.6 million in loans - is beyond me.

canterhavenfarm
Nov. 30, 2011, 12:32 PM
My OTTB raced 4 times there his first year in 2007. I have watched all his race videos that are kept on equibase.

Do the trainers keep horses there and if so, does that mean that some TBs are going to be sold/looking for new careers?

I ask this because I am actively looking for another OTTB, preferable right off the the track since I want to be his (gelding preferred) next human and do the training for new career (jumpers). I have contacted many OTTB groups here in the west including CANTER in CA and AZ, not finding another TB for me yet. So was thinking if I could go right to the source, trainers and owners, may have better luck. ( IF anyone knows of trainers willing to chat with me about selling their TB that can no longer race, feel free to PM me)

saratoga
Nov. 30, 2011, 08:41 PM
There are no horses at Yavapai now.
Its great that CANTER is now in AZ and I saw that Rillito Park in Tucson in going to have CANTER horses. Rillito is going to be open from Jan-Mar and it is pretty much the cheapest track, period...horses who cant cut it there have nowhere to go, so I hope some of the people there will utilize CANTER to try to find homes for the horses.

Flypony
Nov. 30, 2011, 11:31 PM
Is there any canter people in Phoenix, I have some to list,

Justa Bob
Nov. 30, 2011, 11:45 PM
Here is the CANTER AZ link:

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=308&Itemid=420

For questions regarding CANTER Arizona, please contact us via email, mail or phone:
Dennis Miller, Executive Director 928-642-2966
11600 Williamson Valley Ranch Road
Prescott, Arizona 86305
canterarizona@canterusa.org