PDA

View Full Version : or, maybe? I should just over roof with one of these?

ayrabz
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:15 AM
http://www.alansfactoryoutlet.com/triple-wide-carports/

ok...I already posted about possibly over roofing with the 'ondura' roof panels....on the very low roofed existing building that we have already lined with wood walls,stalls,& stall mats, etc, etc....

I know lots of folks have 'started' with one of these type carport/garages, and then lined with walls, etc, etc...but does anyone? have any experience or suggestions in the possible idea, of, purchasing one of these, and having it erected OVER current building? (and, ...either a tear off of the old existing tin roof or, just leaving that intact?) YEs, I'd prefer to tear it off, as its LOW, and this could rectify that...but not sure if we can afford both this and the tear off?

Anyone ever put one of these up 'over' an older building and had it work well?

TIA

ayrabz
Jun. 4, 2011, 07:32 AM
Bump? anyone? :)

CFFarm
Jun. 4, 2011, 12:25 PM
I suppose you could if it passed your local building codes. Around here they do what's called "roof overs" over older mobile homes. Maybe you could find a contractor that does that and get some advice?

http://www.donniegrubbs.com/photos.html#Roofing

ayrabz
Jun. 4, 2011, 06:16 PM
Thanks, CFF...I guess, I hadn't even considered the 'building codes'...but obviously, I should!
I was already pricing out a 'roof over' so to speak, using the Ondura panels...but, it would be a lot of $$, so I began to consider something that would be of equal investment, but not roofing directly 'over' the existing, so that the investment would be of a higher roof anyway? I will inquire with the carport / lean to / horse barn people who erect and sell these things to see? if installing it free standing above and around the existing building is an issue.....

blaster
Jun. 5, 2011, 09:25 AM
I will say that depending on where you live, snow might be a problem for these. Living in MD this winter, I saw more than a handful that we smushed. Rather unscientific study, but apparently it can be an issue...