PDA

View Full Version : Crosspost: Looking for someone to start my 3yr old TB mare US....

CrimsonInClover
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:16 AM
I also posted on the Off Course thread but it's not getting much response. I am looking for someone to start my 3yr old TB mare under saddle. I am located in the Atlanta area and am not opposed to someone in SC, TN, or AL as long as it is not too far of a haul. I would like for her go to a cowboy type since I think this is more what she needs. I thought I had found someone who had come highly recommended by quite a few sources, but its not looking like he is going to be able to fit my mare into his schedule anytime soon. So after over a month of trying to work out her going to him, I'm open to finding someone else. Any recommendations would be great!

Freebird!
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:25 AM
Gosh, if I wasn't nursing a 5 month old, She is just the type I like to break. I just can't commit to a steady 5 day a week training schedule. I'll see if I can think of a few names for you though.

OveroHunter
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:44 AM
Chad Ray of Turnaround Training Stables does a great job. He's in Gainesville and has broke a lot of horses for us. PM me if you want his number.

shawneeAcres
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:56 AM
We are located in NC and we start horses sort of the "cowboy" way, i.e. use a western saddle, do round pen training using traditional and natural horsemanship techniques. We teach them to ground drive, and we not only ride them in arena, but hack them around the farm, teaching them to go over obstacles, thru water, etc. I do have references if you are interested in sending her to us. Just email me at carrie@shawneeacres.net if you'd like more information.

Trixie's mom
Jun. 2, 2011, 05:47 PM
I sent you a PM

CrimsonInClover
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:29 PM
Shawnee - I have looked at your website, I just wish you were closer to me :( You are about 9 hours from me which is a little far. Thanks though!

Thanks for the other replies and PM's, I will definitely be looking into the people you all have referred!

CrimsonInClover
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:03 PM
Freebird - any input you have would be great! I would love to start her myself, but between a 5 year old, husband, and full time job I need some outside help ;)

AGRHJRider
Jun. 9, 2011, 10:01 AM
Hi,
In times when im super busy with students and other horses in training I have sent my personal horses and also my clients horses to David and Jason Gannes place near Knoxville, Tn.
They really do a stellar job, and although they are cowboy types they understand what we look for when it comes to performance in the hunter divisions. They will produce a rideable, mentally relaxed youngster in a few months training.
If you are interested pvt message me and i will give you their contact info

neversaynever
Jun. 9, 2011, 01:48 PM
Tim Gradous in Waynesboro, GA, right outside Augusta. He does an outstanding job.

moonriverfarm
Jun. 9, 2011, 02:07 PM
Did you speak to my guy? I can provide references for his abilities!

OveroHunter
Jun. 9, 2011, 02:12 PM
Who did you end up going with? Did you talk to Chad?

vbunny
Jun. 9, 2011, 05:06 PM
I sent a PM

wrolov
Jun. 9, 2011, 07:53 PM
Jim Frazier of Academy East in Abingdon, VA. He is my trainer and the best one I know, I have learned so much with him! Please consider: www.academyeast.net
Jim is a great trainer; he uses natural horsemanship and your horse will be soft and willing after he is finished. :) With enough training with Jim, you can even achieve bridleless riding, though I know that's not likely to be a priority (myself included, though I used to do a lot). Jim is also very good working with difficult horses-- dull, aggressive, stubborn, and overly sensitive.
I can't say enough good things about Jim, but I'll sum it up with this: he had 50+ years of experience in multiple disciplines, but is still reasonably priced and provides excellent care for the horses. If you want more information, please pm me! If you choose Jim I look forward to meeting your horse!

CrimsonInClover
Jun. 9, 2011, 11:09 PM
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! In the end I ended up choosing a guy in SC that was recommended by a friend. She will be leaving to go in mid July. I ultimately decided on him because even though he is a true cowboy, he also foxhunts and will do some English work with her as well.

musicinmotion101
Jun. 9, 2011, 11:13 PM
where abouts in SC? sorry to be nosey

CrimsonInClover
Jun. 10, 2011, 05:44 PM
He is located in Ehrhardt, SC.

CHSatwork
Jun. 10, 2011, 05:49 PM
Please PM me if you are entertaining the idea of using Jim Frazier in VA. :eek:

CrimsonInClover
Jun. 10, 2011, 06:20 PM
CHS - I'm not! VA would be to far for me from GA anyway ;)

CHSatwork
Jun. 10, 2011, 06:29 PM
Phew! :lol: I'm very glad to hear that.:yes: