PDA

View Full Version : Fence tester for low impedance fence???

Belg
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:56 AM
Title says it all. Fried the old fence controller, need to troubleshoot fence with the new one, upgraded to a 300 mile low impedance unit that hits 17k volts. Tester only goes to 5 or 9 if I buy one.

What tester should I use for the new controller?

Thanks,

Mark

deckchick
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:28 AM
I never could get one to work right, I just use a blade of grass...:lol:

shakeytails
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:01 AM
We have a tester... somewhere. Usually we just use a hammer.

Belg
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:08 AM
Tester's better for isolating & corrrecting problems than grass blades.... though I use them too in a pinch.

We've got a fairly complex fence setup though with local and remote distribution points and being able to go out in walk out in a direction, pull a gate handle, and see the voltage change compared to a reference voltage is a priceless timesaver....

mitchfromtimco
Jun. 2, 2011, 01:41 PM
we have a few different types here at Timco...here's the best one, shoot me an email if you have any questions I'm more than happy to help you find one http://www.timcohorseandfarmsupply.com/GallagherSmartFixFenceTester-1.aspx

mitch@timcohorseandfarmsupply

Tom King
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:11 PM
I like this one. It even points you in the direction of the fault.

http://www.stafix.com/product.asp?productID=31

Belg
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:49 AM
Looks like the Stafix and the Gallagher both a couple of nice as weel as time-saving reccomendations, Thank you!

Belg
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:57 AM
Heh. Remote control? Is there a small box you can plug in inline to an existing unit? ;)

coloredcowhorse
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:06 AM
Bare finger while standing in wet grass....or a blade of grass if you aren't into getting the full effect.

Belg
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:27 AM
I tried touching my forehead to it once, inadvertantly. Fence was working that day. Very well, actually.

Hilary
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:49 AM
I use an electricity indicator that you usually use when you're trying to figure out if an outlet or switch is live - it beeps (peep is a more descriptive term) and lights up when there is electricity near it, it's about the size of a pen, and doesn't need to attach to the ground - the lights are easy to see - too.

I think I got it at Sears. You can tell if the current is strong or weak too based on the loudness of the peeps and how bright the light comes on.

LauraKY
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:20 PM
I just use my husband. :)

Belg
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:43 PM
I just use my husband. :)

Fortunately for my wife, I don't have a husband laying around... so Im rather stuck doing it myself :)

coloredcowhorse
Jun. 3, 2011, 02:30 PM
I tried touching my forehead to it once, inadvertantly. Fence was working that day. Very well, actually.

:lol::lol::lol: Did that once too...tree limb from the walnut trees fell, broke wire and it got lost in tall grass on the outside of the fence.....found the dead end without trouble and wasn't thinking about the live end being "LIVE"....bent over looking for it and found it....right between my eyes! Knocked me right on my fanny!!

Belg
Jun. 3, 2011, 02:45 PM
:lol::lol::lol: Did that once too...tree limb from the walnut trees fell, broke wire and it got lost in tall grass on the outside of the fence.....found the dead end without trouble and wasn't thinking about the live end being "LIVE"....bent over looking for it and found it....right between my eyes! Knocked me right on my fanny!!

The whole world turned off like an old tv set... I vaguely remeber flying backwards through the air and wake up flat on my back seconds later...