PDA

View Full Version : Beginner pony pricing -- UPDATE: bought her, pics in post 9!

fordtraktor
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:38 AM
How much is the going rate for a beginner-safe pony? Imagine a pony in its teens, medium, is well-broke on the flat and is totally safe -- trail rides, extensively shown at local/breed shows, and sounds as bombproof as they come. Kids can handle easily. Conformation is fine, pony is cute but more western/QH-type. Sound. Doesn't jump but neither does tiny rider.

What is a pony like that worth? Peace of mind is worth a lot to me and pony is SAFE, but I don't want to drastically over-offer.

findeight
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:46 AM
It registered? POA or something???

I dunno, 2500 to 5k around this area I would think. More if it is real fancy and a high point winner on that local circuit.

Got a bit more info on it? Did you stick it to see how tall it is?

shawneeAcres
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:46 AM
Very hard to find these ponies, so when you do, the price may seem high. But for the peace of mind its worth it!! I bought a pony that you describe, except he jumps nicely, is around 14 yrs old, does have one "hole" in that he can be VERY cold backed saddling so only safe for someone with experience to saddle, but once he is saddled he is absoltuely great (just the tightening of the girth, not the actual saddle). I had searched high and low for this pony and was willing to pay a lot more than I did! But got him for a bargain price in low 4 figures.

fordtraktor
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:50 AM
13.1 (has a card), registered Paint/Pinto. I don't think it is super-fancy but it has a decent show record. It has color and a cute face.

I'm relieved with the ranges you are tossing out, I was worried everyone would say that there are six million of these for $500 or something. Not worried about resale, by the time my kids are done with it, it will be time to retire it so I doubt it ever leaves the farm.

SanJacMonument
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:24 AM
Ponies are the best confidence builders and if you can find a good one that a family will let go, they usually sell fast and by word of mouth pretty easy. I agree $2,500-$5,000 but I've seen $500 to a good home and $20,000 for a welsh cob with a great show record too.

One of my first horses was a pony QH cross. Good luck!

findeight
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:56 AM
Pinto, it's a Pinto. They have some very nice breed shows with pony classes...split into Hunter type, Stock type and Saddle type (ASB). You can't beat Showmanship at Halter to teach a kid how to prepare and present a show horse-and they don't even have to ride it. Confidence builder extrordinare.

Think the price range guess would be pretty close with this Pinto Pony with show miles. Actually know people who have done Pintos.

Paint, simplistically speaking, has to have Paint or QH parents. Pinto can be anything within those 3 types but has to have visible spots viewed from both sides. A Paint may be double registered Pinto too if it has the color.

fordtraktor
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:01 AM
Thanks findeight. It's both, double registered Paint and Pinto, but its show record is Pinto so I'm glad to hear those shows are legit.

trabern
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:57 AM
Priceless.

Anytime anyone around me gets one of these, it's never for sale again. :)

It costs the same to feed/board a safe, solid pony as to feed an unknown-to-dangerous piece of crap.

Also, don't write it off as to future jumping. I've rarely met a western pony that did not take to jumping like a kite. No pony likes to start jumping with beginners aboard (off-balance or bumps in the mouth ruin the game) but if started with a well-seated pony jock and free-jumping, they can really take to it.

fordtraktor
Jun. 7, 2011, 08:59 AM
Update -- bought the pony and brought it home! She is a total sweetheart and as dead quiet as advertised. She ignored a rowdy steer and two screaming stallions (she was in heat) during the test ride....never put a foot wrong. And cuter than I expected, though fat fat fat!

As always, pics! --

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2339463400053911905cFXVcb

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2774636090053911905RCgXMu

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2932245450053911905NvvOKX

Sparky
Jun. 7, 2011, 09:11 AM
She looks like a good moving doll! Lucky kids!

FlashGordon
Jun. 7, 2011, 09:14 AM
Aww she is super cute!!! You guys are gonna have fun with her!

EqTrainer
Jun. 7, 2011, 09:17 AM
Priceless.

Anytime anyone around me gets one of these, it's never for sale again. :)

It costs the same to feed/board a safe, solid pony as to feed an unknown-to-dangerous piece of crap.

:lol:: this. Glad you bought this one because this post IMO and IME is correct - they are rarely for sale. Mine will never be!

Enjoy your Nanny Pony.

ponymom64
Jun. 7, 2011, 09:19 AM
She's super cute but doesn't look fat to me!

kelsey97
Jun. 7, 2011, 09:21 AM
^ Definitely this!! I have the buckskin model of this pony & we LUFF her so much! She may be loaned out or borrowed, but never sold. ;D

Addison
Jun. 7, 2011, 09:33 AM
Adorable! What's her name?

fordtraktor
Jun. 7, 2011, 10:03 AM
Thanks everyone! Her name is Sunny, registered Last Sunshine. She was apparently "Pony of the Year -- Overo Color" with the Pinto association in 2009, and third at their World Championship show in Showmanship in 2006. She has definitely shown a lot, she walked off the trailer in the pitch dark totally bored, just looking for food. She loves food!

Ponymom, she looks OK fat-wise from the side but from the top -- she is as wide as a Mack Truck and there is no feeling her ribs. She is a bit cresty as well. I am worried she will founder, hence the muzzle. I don't have a totally dry lot like she has been on. At least her fat is evenly spread, not the deposits look the Cushings horses seem to get.

I am so pleased with her, and very much doubt she will ever be for sale again! She is big enough that I can ride her, so *I* sort of got a new pony too. 5'10 people look awesome on 13.1 ponies, right?

My 3 geldings are pretty pleased with her too, I must say...my jumper is herd boss and has already made clear that she is his new girlfriend.

netg
Jun. 7, 2011, 10:21 AM
Congratulations! What a find! She's absolutely adorable, and given how she looks and her experience, I'm surprised she wasn't over the price ranges mentioned.... Enjoy her!

Also, in those pics your barn looks lovely. We just built one, so I've been noticing barns in photos a lot!

Mara
Jun. 7, 2011, 10:29 AM
She's horrid :lol::lol::lol::lol: - you need to let me do you a favor and take her off your hands!

j/k - sounds like EVERYONE lucked out! She has the sweetest expression.

MyssMyst
Jun. 7, 2011, 10:47 AM
She's adorable!

ManyDogs
Jun. 7, 2011, 10:54 AM
I'm AARP age, have 3 horses/1 TWH pony-pinto, and I want Sunny!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Congratulations! She is a doll.

goosejumps
Jun. 7, 2011, 11:02 AM
ADORABLE, congrats!:):):)

Burbank
Jun. 7, 2011, 11:07 AM
she is just adorable! looks like you and your kids lucked out

shawneeAcres
Jun. 7, 2011, 11:18 AM
Cute! Glad you got her and she was everything you wanted her to be!!

kayteedee
Jun. 7, 2011, 11:29 AM
Congrats, she looks terrific. I just took home a 13.3 Welsh Morgan cross babysitter pony for my kids a few weeks ago, and I feel the same- I get to ride him too! He's awesome, calm yet forward, for them, and for me he rounds and has wonderful lateral movement... Fun fun fun! I'm lucky to be only 5'4". Gonna take him to a cross country course soon to see what he'll do!

The only thing I don't like is his name, but I don't like changing barn names on critters- it's a weird superstition of mine... maybe I'll post pics and let people have at it to come up with a show name though.

fordtraktor
Jun. 7, 2011, 03:54 PM
I rode her for a few minutes today, just walk/trot because her feet are terrible and the farrier can't get here until Thursday. She was a saint. Walked quietly on a loose rein despite the love-crazed geldings whinnying and galloping madly down the fenceline right beside her. She has the loveliest western jog with a nice level headset and is very responsive to commands. Couldn't ask for anything more!

It is a bit funny riding a WP-trained horse again after all these years. It is very relaxing, though I can't say *I* got much exercise!

findeight
Jun. 8, 2011, 10:29 AM
Sorry I could not get back on this yesterday...my employer prefers the firewalls from hell to keep hackers out as opposed to allowing bored workers to view pictures on any remotely entertaining social type sites.:no:

It's absolutely perfect to teach your kids how to ride AND to show since it is a made Showmanship Pony. I am such a huge fan of these classes because they teach so much about daily upkeep and show presentation and can build alot of confidence in the show ring-and, even if you get a really nice outfit and silver trimmed show halter? It is not a fortune to get into it. No chaps, saddle, matching custom pads or anything...and this one is Stock type so that is where you should go for the in hand stuff. Cross training is good.

I sometimes hate to see smaller kids getting some pricey, ambitious and extravagant moving fancy Pony. This one looks fancy enough but not intimidating at all. And she us, really, a small horse, not a purpose bred Pony. Like I said, this is a confidence builder-and those Pinto shows are a great start as well (and far more rea$onable then what we are used to).

Got her breeding? Just for fun? Little Sonny Dee Bar in there back about 30 years???

fordtraktor
Jun. 8, 2011, 10:56 AM
Got her breeding? Just for fun? Little Sonny Dee Bar in there back about 30 years???

Thanks! You made me laugh, I said exactly the same thing to the seller -- she certainly looks like a Sonny Dee Bar! Her grandpa is the Paint "Sonny Doc Bar" so I imagine she does farther back. Also Leo and Wimpy names in there but no horses I recognize in the first 3 generations, though I am more familiar with QHs than Paints.

I agree with you about Showmanship and still have my QH pony's silver Showmanship halter from 20 years ago that should fit her. All I need now is for my son to grow up a little more!

findeight
Jun. 8, 2011, 12:01 PM
I agree with you about Showmanship and still have my QH pony's silver Showmanship halter from 20 years ago that should fit her. All I need now is for my son to grow up a little more!

:D:cool:. Buy right and it never goes out of style;).

And you get to play with her until your boy gets bigger??? Oh, my, sounds like fun-sure you bought her for the boy????

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jun. 8, 2011, 12:19 PM
She's perfect!

trabern
Jun. 8, 2011, 12:43 PM
She's so adorable! Great find.

BAC
Jun. 8, 2011, 02:08 PM
Such a wonderful pony, congratulations.

Mozart
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:21 PM
I sometimes hate to see smaller kids getting some pricey, ambitious and extravagant moving fancy Pony. This one looks fancy enough but not intimidating at all. And she us, really, a small horse, not a purpose bred Pony.

As a mother with PTSD courtesy of my son's previous pony...I so agree.

We are now leasing (because owner refuses to sell him) a 13 hand pony (in size only), he is basically a small stock horse. Totally unflappable. Super well broke. You ask him to trot..he trots. Ask for canter, he smoothly transitions into a nice lopey canter. Whatever gait you put him in, he stays there until further notice.

Point him at a jump and he just hops over and continues on..no drama.

He has a big ole brand on his shoulder and he is pretty coarse looking but my god I love our little stock horse. :yes:

Congrats fordtraktor, your pony looks lovely. Pony shopping is so much fun!

netg
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:52 PM
I'm looking at the photos and thinking she looks like the short version of a Super Bear my mom almost bought about 20-25 years ago!

I used to LOVE Sonny Dee Bar and just stare at his pictures in the magazines when I was supposed to be doing homework. :lol: