PDA

View Full Version : I want an equine products company to offer

msj
Jun. 2, 2011, 07:41 AM
a solid lid for manure buckets that snap on like a garbage can lid. :yes: I pick stalls and the sacrifice paddocks all day long and only dump the manure bucket when it gets full. Right now I have a square piece of plywood that I put on top of a manure bucket so the flies can't get it and so the dog doesn't go after 'treats'. Unfortunately the dog is smart enough to push it over if I'm not looking. If some company that makes the manure buckets would make a firm snap on cover, I'd buy a couple immediately. :yes: :yes:

How about it, what would you like to see invented?

cutter99
Jun. 2, 2011, 07:47 AM
Why not use a garbage can or a Tuff Stuff container with a snap on lid? If you wanted to even put them in a little cart like muck tubs, they would probably fit. I have Tuff Stuff containers with lids that hold anywhere from 50 lbs. to 300 lbs.

msj
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:55 AM
Why not use a garbage can or a Tuff Stuff container with a snap on lid? If you wanted to even put them in a little cart like muck tubs, they would probably fit. I have Tuff Stuff containers with lids that hold anywhere from 50 lbs. to 300 lbs.

Some good suggestions here cutter99. I don't think I can use a cart because the muck buckets have to be dumped into a dumpster and the path to get to the dumpster is all gravel and goes up a slope as well. I do have an extra 30 gallon metal garbage can lid and I suppose I could see if that would fit over it. I'll also do a google search on Tuff Stuff containers and see if something works there. Right now I have 1 brand new muck bucket and another in great shape so I don't believe in tossing them out but I'm sure that they will eventually go the way of all muck buckets that end up with holes in the bottom from being dragged over the rough gravel.

cllane1
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:04 AM
I don't know if these are made locally around here or if they are available anywhere, but my BO has something called a Muck Lid which is a round wooden lid that fits over the muck bucket top. It's got a little lip and everything, so it seals off the bucket and really helps reduce flies and odor.

I bet it wouldn't be hard to get someone to make one. I can try to get pics and measurements if you want.

cutter99
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:12 AM
Just another thought- does the lid have to be solid? I have seen bucket covers that looked like they were a heavy duty canvas that have elastic to they stretch over the lid and then tighten to the side of the bucket. I would think something like that might keep the dog out- although mine would probably fiugre out a way to get at their "treats"! It would definately work for flies.

I live in the land of the Amish and they can manufacture just about anything you can think of. I know a local harness shop could make a heavy duty canvas tarp for the top of a muck bucket. I doubt they would hold up like a fitted lid though.

jcotton
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:14 AM
A suggestion, dump as soon as you finish the job so dog doesn't get into manure.

Besides, it is "used grasss and grains" that the dog is eating, there are much worse things that your dog could be into.

And get a cart, so you are not dragging the muck tub over gravel. The are different qualities of carts or a garden wagon may be used, too.

msj
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:22 AM
cutter99, I looked at the Tuff Stuff products and while they had a drum that would be a good size (17 gallon and muck buckets are usually ~16 gallons) they didn't appear to have handles. I need at least one handle to tie baling twine so I can pull the bucket along and up the grade to the dumpster. I'd have to call the company to find out. If no handle I'm sure I could put a couple of holes in it to make a handle like on a muck basket.

I have a neighbor that's very handy and does a LOT of work for me around the farm and in the house and he may come up with some sort of snap on lid.

I've thought about a plastic or canvas cover with elastic and that would probably work to keep flies down and dog out as long as the dog doesn't decide to chew on it. I'm just not sure I want to keep taking it off and on. :(

msj
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:24 AM
I don't know if these are made locally around here or if they are available anywhere, but my BO has something called a Muck Lid which is a round wooden lid that fits over the muck bucket top. It's got a little lip and everything, so it seals off the bucket and really helps reduce flies and odor.

I bet it wouldn't be hard to get someone to make one. I can try to get pics and measurements if you want.

I'd love it if you could get more information on the Muck Lid and pictures as well. I did a google search and didn't see anything. I've got a neighbor who could probably make one. Heck he's put several additions on his home as well as made a ranch into a 2 story! :)

cllane1
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:41 AM
Sure thing. I'll be out at the barn tomorrow, so I'll get some pics and info.

msj
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:09 AM
A suggestion, dump as soon as you finish the job so dog doesn't get into manure.

Besides, it is "used grasss and grains" that the dog is eating, there are much worse things that your dog could be into.

And get a cart, so you are not dragging the muck tub over gravel. The are different qualities of carts or a garden wagon may be used, too.

Thanks for the suggestion but I know a cart doesn't work because I've already tried 2 different ones. :(

I do dump after I've done the stalls or when the bucket is 1/2 or more full but I have no intention of dumping just one pile or 2 of manure. What I'm doing right now is using a piece of plywood over the bucket and putting the bucket in an empty stall so the dog can't get at it.

msj
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:12 AM
Sure thing. I'll be out at the barn tomorrow, so I'll get some pics and info.

Thanks. :) :)

SmartAlex
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:27 AM
I've thought about a plastic or canvas cover with elastic and that would probably work to keep flies down and dog out as long as the dog doesn't decide to chew on it.

The makers of mesh or canvas bucket covers (http://www.smartpakequine.com/SearchResults.aspx?page=GRID&free_text=bucket%20cover&attribute_value_string|Store_ID=Equine) should just make a 70 qt size.

I'll bet people who soak large qtys of beet pulp would like that. We use the mesh cover on the soaking beets.

cutter99
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:50 PM
Hey Sue,

The Tuff Stuff containers don't have handles but you could punch holes in the side like you said and make the handles. They may wear a little better than the average muck tub because the plastic is more rubbery than a normal muck tub. I have one I've been using for probably 8-10 years now for feed, storing blankets, etc. These are the original ones I bought so they are pretty durable. Good luck with your search! Let us know what you decide to do!

MunchkinsMom
Jun. 4, 2011, 04:32 PM
How about using a cheap elastic edged plastic table cloth - like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I6MR9I/ref=asc_df_B000I6MR9I1569263?smid=A281ICWJBRZ31L&tag=nextagusmp0355881-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B000I6MR9I

Or part of an old tarp and a long bungee cord to wrap around the muck bucket to hold it in place?

My wish is for someone to invent a bucket handle spreader, so that when the horses bend the bucket handle and the bucket out of round, all you would have to do is put the spreader in between the handle, and crank/ratchet the handle back to it's original position. I've tried hammering them back out, it is an epic failure.

msj
Jun. 4, 2011, 05:10 PM
How about using a cheap elastic edged plastic table cloth - like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I6MR9I/ref=asc_df_B000I6MR9I1569263?smid=A281ICWJBRZ31L&tag=nextagusmp0355881-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B000I6MR9I

Or part of an old tarp and a long bungee cord to wrap around the muck bucket to hold it in place?

My wish is for someone to invent a bucket handle spreader, so that when the horses bend the bucket handle and the bucket out of round, all you would have to do is put the spreader in between the handle, and crank/ratchet the handle back to it's original position. I've tried hammering them back out, it is an epic failure.

That elastisized tablecloth has some merit as long as the dog doesn't decide to try to chew or paw through it. Bungee cord and tarp may be a bit of a PITA.

Can't help you with the bucket handle but if you take the bucket handle off, you now have a wastebasket. :) I'll be honest though I use the insulated buckets:

http://www.horsestalls.com/waterers.htm

I've had them for 22 yrs now and only one has been dented slightly but is still very usable. One negative about them is if the bucket is still full and you need to dump it, you do have to use something to scoop some water out first or be prepared to probably get wet trying to lift out the 5 gallon bucket which is pretty heavy. Also if the horses do happen to lift their tails at the wrong place, it's NO FUN :no:trying to empty a bucket full of watery horse manure. :eek:

ayrabz
Jun. 5, 2011, 08:03 AM
interesting...because I've long wondered? why muck tubs didn't have a 'lid' option----

My little barn will only house 2 horses, (maybe even a mini or a goat instead of the second horse) and I have been thinking of a muck tub cut to fit wood lid, for the 'throughout the day' clean up/pick up of a pile or two....

I've not decided 'for sure' but I think? I'm going to price out/try to design a 'park the wheelbarrow under here' space...something designed to JUST fit under, handles exposed...so that I can keep a plastic wheelbarrow just for muck (hate it at the boarding barn when I have to use one for clean shavings/hay that had been used for messy muck)
perhaps even a heavy rubber 'flap' across the front for even snugger /less fly fitting.

trying to find the best 'just outside barn door' space for this, so its accessible all day, but not in the way. I figure if it rains , this would be handy as well, so manure wouldnt turn into poop soup.

kinnip
Jun. 5, 2011, 09:03 AM
I imagine the reason there isn't a snap on, airtight lid for muck buckets is because the build up of methane could pose a safety risk.

MunchkinsMom
Jun. 5, 2011, 03:37 PM
I imagine the reason there isn't a snap on, airtight lid for muck buckets is because the build up of methane could pose a safety risk.

Good point, and the heat generated might be a fire risk as well.

I have my Newer Spreader in the barn that has manure in it, I have found two ways to keep the flies off (my dogs do not come to the barn), either each load with a good layer of used shavings, or sprinkle with St Gabriel's Fly Swatter granules. I only spread my manure every other day (with the price of gas, I hate to run the tractor for a partial load).

As to the bent buckets, they have come in handy during our latest remodeling project, my husband needed to put down new concrete in the bathroom, and now is doing the tiling, so the bent buckets are coming in handy for that chore.

msj
Jun. 5, 2011, 04:15 PM
interesting...because I've long wondered? why muck tubs didn't have a 'lid' option----

My little barn will only house 2 horses, (maybe even a mini or a goat instead of the second horse) and I have been thinking of a muck tub cut to fit wood lid, for the 'throughout the day' clean up/pick up of a pile or two....

I've not decided 'for sure' but I think? I'm going to price out/try to design a 'park the wheelbarrow under here' space...something designed to JUST fit under, handles exposed...so that I can keep a plastic wheelbarrow just for muck (hate it at the boarding barn when I have to use one for clean shavings/hay that had been used for messy muck)
perhaps even a heavy rubber 'flap' across the front for even snugger /less fly fitting.

trying to find the best 'just outside barn door' space for this, so its accessible all day, but not in the way. I figure if it rains , this would be handy as well, so manure wouldnt turn into poop soup.

Before I went to the dumpster, I used to use a lg. plastic wheelbarrow to dump manure into the concrete bunker and had my neighbor just cut a piece of plywood the shape of the top of the wheelbarrow. It was high enough the dog couldn't easily slide it off and kept the flies down. He even put a handle on it to make it easy to remove. :)

msj
Jun. 5, 2011, 04:20 PM

Hm, that is a good point to consider but I can't imagine that a half full manure bucket would generate that much manure through the day. I generally dump it when it gets 1/2 full so that's about 2 buckets (1/2 full)after stalls are cleaned in the morning. Maybe if it was a more southern climate and left out in the sun. Besides it wouldn't have to be an airtight lid, just something the dog couldn't push off and flies couldn't get at readily.

cllane1
Jun. 5, 2011, 04:52 PM
I promise I'm not leaving you hanging on the Muck Lid pics and measurements! Was sick Friday and yesterday so didn't make it to the barn. However, I am going for sure in a little while, and I've got my camera with me.

susanne
Jun. 5, 2011, 05:19 PM
We use a very sturdy Rubbermaid plastic garbage can with wheels, locking lid and handles. (The small, round kind, not the huge square.)

It has stood up to several years of being drug through barn and corrals, over gravel, loaded into our van, unloaded at my sister's and drug over varied terrain to her garden -- as well as the shorter distance to our own garden beds.

The only downside is the height we have to shovel the manure, but it's a small enough can that it's not a big issue. You could easily drag it up your gravel path.

msj
Jun. 5, 2011, 06:18 PM
I promise I'm not leaving you hanging on the Muck Lid pics and measurements! Was sick Friday and yesterday so didn't make it to the barn. However, I am going for sure in a little while, and I've got my camera with me.

Sorry to hear your were under the weather. Hope you are doing better. In the mean time just relax, I'm not in any hurry. Besides, if it's something my neighbor can make, it probably won't get made until late summer anyway.

msj
Jun. 5, 2011, 06:20 PM
We use a very sturdy Rubbermaid plastic garbage can with wheels, locking lid and handles. (The small, round kind, not the huge square.)

It has stood up to several years of being drug through barn and corrals, over gravel, loaded into our van, unloaded at my sister's and drug over varied terrain to her garden -- as well as the shorter distance to our own garden beds.

The only downside is the height we have to shovel the manure, but it's a small enough can that it's not a big issue. You could easily drag it up your gravel path.

I'll google Rubbermaid and see if I can find that. I think my bigger concern is if I can lift it up the 2' to dump into the dumpster. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

susanne
Jun. 6, 2011, 11:00 PM
Icould have done that in the first place, but that would have been too easy!

Here's ours:

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?CatName=WasteTrash&SubcatId=OutdoorTrashCans&Prod_ID=RP091457

If you wait until it's filled to the top, you might have difficulty lifting, but if you fill it about halfway, I think you would be fine.

MunchkinsMom
Jun. 7, 2011, 01:31 AM
How about repurposing a cooler with wheels - something like this:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11534495

The way I figure it, it's not much more expensive than a muck bucket cart, you can wheel it around, it is lower than the trash can, might be easier to dump?

msj
Jun. 7, 2011, 07:37 AM
Icould have done that in the first place, but that would have been too easy!

Here's ours:

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?CatName=WasteTrash&SubcatId=OutdoorTrashCans&Prod_ID=RP091457

If you wait until it's filled to the top, you might have difficulty lifting, but if you fill it about halfway, I think you would be fine.

That is my house garbage can. :) I tried last night before I emptied it to wheel it around the garage floor and wasn't really successful BUT what I will try to do is see if I can either push or somehow drag it up the ramp to the front of the dumpter empty. If that is viable, I may try filling it with some clean stuff (like blankets, brushes, etc)for some weight to simulate the wt. of manure and then see if I can wheel it up.

cllane1
Jun. 7, 2011, 10:21 AM
OK, I now have pics but I'm at work and don't have my connection cable! But I took a good look at our lid this morning. It is cut to the same size (diameter? circumference? never was good at geometry) as the top of the muck bucket. It's probably 3/4" thick and has a metal door/drawer-type handle screwed on in the center. Underneath it has 4 sort of "spokes" that run from the center to about an inch from the edge. These catch against the bucket edge if it's shifted and hold the lid in place. Seems really easy to put together if you have someone fairly handy, which it sounds like you do. I'll post pics tonight!

Tommy's Girl
Jun. 7, 2011, 10:03 PM
Not part of the muck lid conversation, and I don't know if this product exists, but I'd love a combination rescue remedy or some other homeopathic calming agent in a peppermint or apple flavor to spritz on a bit.

Tommy's Girl
Jun. 7, 2011, 10:06 PM
Oh - and a trail rider's pen knife with a blade, hoof-pick, wire cutters and hole puncher.

msj
Jun. 8, 2011, 06:49 AM
Tommy' Girl-all good thoughts, esp. the Swiss Army knife adaptation for horse owners. :)