PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for indoor arena footing

Sparkling Shiner
Jun. 2, 2011, 05:40 AM
Hello COTHers,
Am brand new to this forum and hope you can advise me.
Have recently fullfulled my life-long dream of having my very own indoor arena. Now I need to add the footing. Have looked at GGT, but it's rather expensive. The local arenas have either sand or sand/shavings mix or a mixture of sand, limestone screenings and topsoil.
Any opinions and recommendations for economical footing would be appreciated.

RTF
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:36 PM
I just built a small indoor in southern Michigan. If I could change one thing about my footing, I would have put in a better base before my sand. My arena is a bit uneven in the footing because we hurried to get sand in it, and filled some of the low spots with a not so good fill. I did not do my homework, my bad, and I am now paying for it.

I put in my outdoor, and it was a cakewalk. We had a great base, a level area, and just added sand to the compacted topsoil. It was too easy.

So, I love my sand though. The footing is good, but not great. I want rubber, but for now, what I have will do. Do a great base, and remember its easier to add more footing than to take it out. EVERY company I called over added on how much sand was needed. We had to take some out after they put it in. That is a PITA. If my base were better, my arena would be great......but for now I am happy with good.

carolprudm
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:54 PM
Ditto making sure the base is RIGHT before adding footing.

We did an outdoor arena this spring and the escavator sorta pressured me into adding sand on top of the compacted bluestone. I resisted and I am oh so glad I did
https://picasaweb.google.com/carolp3231/20110324#5587750104111404770

They have fixed it but I am waiting for another rain before I add sand

Sparky
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:02 PM
Dittothe other posters--the base is key. Ours is 8" of ag lime, compacted and laser leveled. For the footing, we did 2" of sand mixed with 1" of Permaflex rubber. The rubber people wanted us to add twice as much as we used, but we thought it would be easier to add than to take away, and we were happy with the mix. Just be sure to pick out your horse's feet before they leave the arena. It's amazing how much can leave with them!

ladybugred
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:28 PM
Sorry to hijack :D

Do you have to mix sand with the rubber??

Can you do straight rubber??

Does rubber last ?

Is it ok for jumping & dressage??

Thanx

LBR

Sparky
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:48 PM
I like the sand rubber mix because we can water it, which we only have to do once every couple of weeks.

There is an arena around here that is just rubber, but they do gaited horses, so no jumping, though I think it gets pounded pretty hard. I've only been in it twice,and I just don't like the way it looks.

We've had the rubber ten years and it's just fine. This is the first year I've though it could use another ton of rubber, and we will do that. The original load way back when was 16 tons. It's definitely never needed more sand. We do jumping and lots of flat work, but, again, lightly used. Probably no more than 8 or 10 horses on it per day.

ladybugred
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:20 AM
Thanx!

Is yours an indoor, outdoor, or covered??

LBR

Oh, and what size??

Sparky
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:51 PM
lbr, it is a 72 x 200 indoor.

dotneko
Jun. 4, 2011, 05:37 AM
I have the best footing of any I have ever ridden
in. Bar none. When we put our indoor in 16 years
ago, we road-grade asphalted it, put clay over that
as a base and then have a mix of sand/sawdust.
The sand I go to the quarry to see before it is screened
and mixed with just a little clay. On a yearly basis, we
add a bit more sand or sawdust to freshen it up and
replace what is lost by breakdown and pulling out with
the drag. We water it with a greenhouse mister system
that my plumber husband installed and add MAG in the
winter.
I love my footing. The base has needed zero maintenance.
Flat as a pancake. Never a rock coming up.

Sparkling Shiner
Jun. 4, 2011, 05:55 AM
Thank you for your replies.
The base is already in: A gravel (different names in other areas), very well compacted and totally level. It's the riding surface we need to add now. Have looked into rubber, but with freight to our location, it's about as expensive as GGT. Sand mixed with shavings sounds good. What kind of sand? Also, if you have to wet it, what do you do when it's -20 celsius for months?

horsetales
Jun. 4, 2011, 10:15 AM
Sorry to hijack :D

Do you have to mix sand with the rubber??

Can you do straight rubber??

Does rubber last ?

Is it ok for jumping & dressage??

Thanx

LBR

I used to ride at a dressage barn that had an indoor & outdoor with both being all rubber. We also had jumps for fun. Horses seemed to really like it. I managed to stay mounted my entire time there, but I always thought it would make for a softer landing - Maybe I would still bounce :lol:

ladybugred
Jun. 6, 2011, 04:13 PM
Horsetales- That was part of my thought process, the bones ain't getting any younger, though the rest of me is!;)

Thanx, sorry for the hijack.

LBR

enjoytheride
Jun. 6, 2011, 05:18 PM
My arena where I board is mostly shavings and it can get very very dusty when it is dry, and you have to be careful about watering it because it will get slick. As a bonus it doesn't seem to pack and does not need to be dragged.

H/J Anonymous
Jul. 1, 2011, 04:46 PM
I have ridden on rubber mixtures and while I do love the mix, if you get too much rubber it is slick and does not hold-up well to outdoor elements. We get quite a bit of rain here and it seems to pool in areas or run out the ring easy.

I love the mixtures, but too much does make it slippery when wet. It has nothing to adhere too. Might be an okay situation for gaited horses, but not at all for jumping.