PDA

View Full Version : Epps Fly Trap

Laddy Boy
Jun. 1, 2011, 11:21 PM
I read the threads about the traps - lots of good reports and some not so good.

What is the current thinking about them - yes - no - try to make my own?

Thanks!

Personal Champ
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:26 AM
Interested in hearing replies to this as well. We are having a banner year for horseflies, something I have never had at home before. There are horses across the street now, and they dump their manure around their property, which might be contributing.

DH is a contractor so I would love to make my own, if I can get good details/photos.

Laddy Boy
Jun. 2, 2011, 06:29 PM
Anyone have any opinions on Epps Fly Traps?

Thanks

TN Lilly
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:24 PM
I have one. It works to some extent. But it also kills lots of bugs (as in a wide variety) besides horseflies.
In hindsight, I wish I had not spent $300 on the thing.

LauraKY
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:21 AM
Supposedly, you can paint a ball black (jolly ball or beach ball type), cover it with tangle foot, mount it to your tractor about 4 feet off the ground and it will attract and trap biting flies. The trick seems to be that it's moving. I haven't tried it yet..

Correction, make that bright blue. And it can be a garden pot or a bright blue plastic cup. Here's the instructions and they suggest mounting it to a hat...if anyone does, pictures please!

http://www.fcla.edu/FlaEnt/fe85p356.pdf

emaren
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:37 PM
I have one and wrote a bad review on it. Last year was the first year I had it and it seemed to catch a lot of flies, but it was not even a small dent in the population. My hoof trimmer has one too and says at least he feels like he trying to do something to help. This year I kept that mentality and replaced the clear plastic as the sun broke it down last year. Other than that it has held up well in all the terrible storms. I think they recommend moving it around to find the best place, but I don't have time or the tools or strength to pull 7' t-posts out of the ground to mess around with that. This year it is only now getting hot enough to start having a problem. At first I thought maybe my trap eliminated the population last year, but the whole county has had a peaceful, horsefly free spring so I guess not. The past few nights my horses have been bothered by biting flies and the trap is not yet catching any. So as my farrier says it's probably more to make you feel good than eliminating the biting fly problem.

KPF
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:54 PM
What is tangle foot and where would you get it???

Laddy Boy
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:02 PM
for the reply emaren........dont know whether or not to try one.

LauraKY
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:18 PM
Tanglefoot tree pest barrier is very sticky. It's sold online at Ace Hardware...I've never found it locally.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1276748&CAWELAID=109327464

If you do the hat thing...pictures are very necessary!

spotmenow
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:41 PM
Bump.

My husband made his own last year according to the Rutgers website but it only caught a few dozen flies. We JUST bought one of these...it was delivered today. Should we bother or send it back?

EquineJunky
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:27 PM
I got an Epps about a month or so ago. So far it seems to be doing really well catching some brownish smaller biting flies (was getting 60+ a day but it has slacked off now) and a few green heads in the first location we tried. Haven't seen many of the big black horseflies around the horses yet. Can't wait to see them in the trap! So far I have not been disappointed. I have one horse that is very sensitive to bites (gets welts) and his chest looks much better so far this year.

Personal Champ
Jun. 6, 2011, 09:48 AM
Could someone who has an Epps post some detailed photos? Maybe it's just me, but I can't tell anything about the trap based on the product photos in the Smartpak catalog.

TN Lilly
Jun. 6, 2011, 03:05 PM
Go to the website of the company that makes it:

http://www.horselineproducts.com/eppsbitingflytra.html

They now have a portable version made from plastic pipe (I think). I saw a picture, but did not read too far.

Like I said, I paid the $300 and wish I hadn't. Mine is sitting empty on its posts.
It bothered me greatly to kill so many insects when all I wanted to kill were the horse flies. Even with the Epps up, you will still have horse flies - at least that is my experience.