PDA

View Full Version : Heat wave: Are you riding?

luvmyottb
Jun. 1, 2011, 10:22 PM
Our first heat wave of spring. Mid to upper 90's here in NC and forecast is more of the same for the next 5 days. Heat wimp here, I am not riding. Makes me miserable. Are you riding?

Summit Springs Farm
Jun. 1, 2011, 10:38 PM
yes but early, early in the am or late, late in the day! napping around 2pm:)

SkipChange
Jun. 1, 2011, 10:44 PM
We're seeing temps in the upper 90s here. I've got a horse with limited sweating ability. I'm still riding because I think he's got to get in shape if he's going to be able to handle this all summer long. But I'm doing it very carefully. I keep a thermometer in my pocket all day and check his temp before, during, and after work. Even if he looks cooled out after a ride I won't put him up until his temp gets down. I hose him down before I ride, I hose him during my ride if I have to, and obviously after. Personally, the hasn't hit me too bad...yet.

Anyone got any super tips on keeping horse and rider cool, please share!

CHSatwork
Jun. 1, 2011, 10:51 PM
We didn't ride yesterday or today. We're riding some early tomorrow morning and a few later tomorrow evening. It's been miserable here in SWVA.

Simbalism
Jun. 2, 2011, 12:16 AM
I have been riding early in the morning (I work nights so head to the barn at 7:30am). I have to admit, I have not been riding in the ring as much as I should. I tend to head down the drive and into the woods where it is much cooler. A friend of mine is really affected by the heat and she bought a cooling vest last summer. She really likes it.

horsegurl
Jun. 2, 2011, 12:31 AM
Not riding in Nor Cal!!! Rain, Hail and Tornadoes at 60 degrees!!!! Normal is 85 and it snowed in the mountains today on June 1~~~

flyracing
Jun. 2, 2011, 12:34 AM
Ugghh... mid 30's tonight. Should break 60 by afternoon though. Still in my carharts for morning feeding. Not cool. I'll take 90 (I actually like heat and loved living in Oklahoma... in October :lol:)

Jumpthemoon16
Jun. 2, 2011, 12:45 AM
:O The East Coast must have stolen our summer! It's been low 50s and rainy here, in CALIFORNIA, all week long with thunderstorms today! Not fair!

Showjumper28
Jun. 2, 2011, 12:53 AM
In NJ here, with upper 90's (98 today) thunderstorms, tornado warnings, and hail.

Didn't get to ride the last 3 days due to my work schedule. So I rode this morning. It was already 90 by the time I got on at 10 am. Thought my poor horse was going to die. Not sure I would do it again. However it is supposed to go down to highs in the upper 70's/ low 80's. Hoping this will have been the hottest day of the year (fat chance of that).

Across Sicily
Jun. 2, 2011, 01:07 AM
It hit over 100 here on Tuesday. I rode in the evening. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but we took PLENTY of walk breaks, and I definitely noticed I was a good deal more tired than usual once I got off. Went home and drank - no kidding - 2L of water within 3 hours, no problem. Could have had more.

Horse seemed pretty much fine - still fresh enough by the end to spook plenty hard. ;) The brat.

Now, of course, it's in the 50s here tonight and horses are back to wearing sheets! Go figure.

bluebuckets
Jun. 2, 2011, 01:09 AM
well, looks like here we aren't going to have summer, but usually at this point all of the people at my barn have to ride early early or late late to avoid the heat. I like riding early early, because I get the arena to myself.

doublesstable
Jun. 2, 2011, 01:42 AM
Not in your area but we get up over 115 and I ride at night with the ring lights on. I'm not much for getting up early... during the day I have fans going in the stalls and misters outside and that seems to help the horses deal.....

Sorry to hear about the heat wave but I still think it's better than cold, rain and snow... yuck!

fordtraktor
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:20 AM
It is hot in Indiana as well, and I love riding in it. My normally energetic TB is SO VERY GOOD in the heat! It's so pleasant to trot and canter around on a loose rein with nose poked out. It makes me wish I lived in Florida so he could be like this all year. I am in love with Summer Teddy!

Plus, I get a nice tan, sort of. The tank top and safety vest look perhaps doesn't produce perfect tan lines but close enough for a horse person.

dani0303
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:20 AM
It's awful here. Hot hot HOT and humid. This is like August weather. We really got no adjustment period. 70 to 100 in 4 days. I am still riding but doing way more in the morning and evening. If I have an afternoon lesson, we usually do a trail ride.

Personal Champ
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:27 AM
Hot and humid this week here in PA, been riding at 8 pm, not so bad then!

magnolia73
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:31 AM
I pawned my horse off on a young rider this week- during the week I can only ride at like 5-6.... hoping she can go out early. But I rode Sunday and my horse was like, lady, I ain't stepping a hoof wrong because I want to be done!

TarheelJD
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:41 AM
It has been brutal the last week in GA as well. I'm not a morning person, so that leaves riding in the evening as the only option for me.

Last year someone posted the formula used in Atlanta during the 1996 Olympics to monitor the horses' work level in the heat:

Add the temperature and the % humidity together, if the resulting number is:

1) between 130 and 149 -- use caution working your horse;

2) between 150 and 179 -- very light work only;

3) 180 and above -- no work.

fordtraktor
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:43 AM
I often hose my horses down before riding if it is really hot -- helps them cool without expending so much effort sweating.

AliCat518
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:48 AM
In Central Va here...The heat is killing me! I go out to do barn work in spurts. Usually 30-45 min of work is all I can handle at one time. I had a lesson at 5pm yesterday and it was still around 95...heat index of 102. I drank 2 bottles of water before, 2 during the lesson and about 6 after.
Luckily I thought ahead and froze a few bottles...they were perfect for during the lesson and after!!
I took frequent walk/water breaks during the lesson, but my face was still purple/red for about 30 min after.

AliCat518
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:49 AM
Tarheel, where can you find the humidity? I'm looking at weather.com and cant find it.

TarheelJD
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:02 AM
On weather.com, if you are on the "Hourly" forecast option, that screen then has 2 tabs that allow you to choose "Overview" or "Details." Click the "Details" tab, and it will give you the forecast humidity by the hour throughout the day (as well as chance of rain and wind speed/direction).

AliCat518
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:04 AM
Thats great. Thanks! I'll definitely be doing the addition every day...it really gets SO awful out with the humidity high!

Dallasgreenie
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:07 AM
Yep.............high 90's in Dallas and have to keep on keeping on! Just a quick hack or lesson and then a major cool down and shower.

Living in TX we have no choice, so we just slowly condition our horses and take it easy.

SanJacMonument
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:14 AM
Yup! I second that from Texas...The summer plan is ride early or ride late. It's in the 80's by the 9 o'clock (am) hour with 60% humidity in SE Texas this week; 98 for a high tomorrow.

OveroHunter
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:06 AM
I have been watching others ride in the heat and living vicariously through them... :)

LShipley
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:22 AM
High 90's, low hundreds seem to be in my future for the next 3 months. Previous summers I have tried to tough it out and keep up with lessons. This summer it has gotten hot so early - I have decided to ride early am on weekends and during the week I will trail ride or ride bareback in the ring. It turns out to be a nice break for both of us - luckily here we get to ride all winter. But I think my horse really enjoys when I ride her bareback and it makes me feel like I am 10 years old and at summer camp again :-)

xxreddxheaddxx
Jun. 2, 2011, 12:16 PM
i ride early in the mornings, then i go home/out for lunch, take a nap, then ride again at night

DMK
Jun. 2, 2011, 12:19 PM
easy humidity/feels like stats @ National weather service

http://forecast.weather.gov

Mako
Jun. 2, 2011, 12:22 PM
When it's really hot I ususally ride in the late pm and keep it short. 15-20 min tops with a cool hose down after. When it's really really hot and humid, he gets the day off with a hose down and graze.

Sancudo
Jun. 2, 2011, 12:45 PM
It was 100% humidity when I got on at 6:30 am - I checked with my phone! I did one then, now to do one around 7pm after work. No break in sight here on the NC/SC border.

DMK
Jun. 2, 2011, 01:15 PM
ditto for GA, although if you want to feel OK about riding, right now there are roofers on my roof. Yesterday when they started the job it peaked at 101. Poor guys.

But about 2 years ago I noticed this trend and have been saying for a while that "spring and fall walk with the dinosaurs, we are down to two seasons; July and January" So far nothing about the weather is proving me to be a liar.

kinnip
Jun. 2, 2011, 01:29 PM
The heat is bad enough, but the lack of rain too has made the ground hard as a rock and the grass is turning to dust. I've been riding only very lightly for a variety of reasons, but I'm about to have to suck it up and get in all 4/day. I need a clone. The prime riding time is right when I need to be at home dealing with the chickens and goats. I thought about letting the chickens out early, but we've been inundated with coyotes and dogs in the mornings. If only I had a Tardis....

JumpWithPanache
Jun. 2, 2011, 01:36 PM
I've been blaming work and a cold over the last few days, but I really don't like riding in the heat/humidity either. It's just plain miserable. Otherwise, riding early morning or late afternoon/evening is the only way I can do it.

HCF
Jun. 2, 2011, 01:47 PM
I rode both Tuesday and Wednesday mornings, early enough that I was completely done by 9:30am or so and it was still super hot. Horse and I were both dripping. I didn't ride this morning (dr's appt) but probably would have skipped it anyway! Tomorrow is supposed to "cool off" (low 80's) but back to the 90's on Saturday!

Opus1
Jun. 2, 2011, 01:51 PM
I ride in N. Fla., and if we didn't ride in the heat, we wouldn't ride from May until November.

Right now, I have my lessons scheduled for 10 a.m. And even then, it's about 85-90 degrees or so. I can't do anything earlier since I have such a long drive, so I just have to suck it up.

AliCat518
Jun. 2, 2011, 02:15 PM
Opus, 85-90 isnt that bad! ;)

SIKE!

I wish I could do evening lessons. Mine are at 5pm and yesterday it was still 96ish with a heat index of 102...ugh. I thought I was going to die. Trainer kept saying "dont pass out!!" Thank God she encourages me to stop whenever I feel like it, even when im in the middle of an exercise!

LSM1212
Jun. 2, 2011, 02:41 PM
I wish I had the option to ride in the morning during the week. But alas, I can not. Stupid full time job. :lol: So after work is when I have to go. *sigh*

At least on the weekends, I can go earlier.

I have been riding in the heat a bit. I just take it a little easier and more walk breaks.

I can deal w/ the heat better if there isn't much humidity. That's what kills me. And unfortunately here in KY... there's humidity. :(

GingerJumper
Jun. 2, 2011, 02:52 PM
I'm also in NC, it's CRAZY HOT here! OTTB is from WV, so I'm not riding him much except under the lights at night. Appy is chilling eating and enjoying life as he's for sale and I don't have time for the both of them. And then there's the horse someone's having me train, who I unfortunately have to ride every day... I'd better be getting paid REALLY good for that! Fortunately/unfortunately he hurt himself and is lame ATM.

AA Hunter
Jun. 2, 2011, 02:56 PM
Hosing down before the ride to make the horse as cool as possible before starting is a good idea. I don't like riding in the heat of the day but don't avoid it entirely because my horse may have to work in the heat at a show sometimes and I want her to be acclimitized to it.

ParadoxFarm
Jun. 2, 2011, 03:56 PM
Same boat here in TN as most of you. HOT and HUMID (and the air is full of the 13-year ciccadas right now!) I rode last night (97º), but my arena is shaded in the evening, so it's not quite so bad. And I had to trailer to a 9:00 a.m. lesson this morning. It was HOT (85º) , but we managed. I think my boy is getting used to this heat, because he was not overly sweaty at all (unlike me). But I always give them a nice hose down afterwards. When I ride in the evening at home, sometimes it's only for about 30 minutes. Easy work.

We have a show this weekend, so we have to keep going!

shawneeAcres
Jun. 2, 2011, 04:26 PM
Yes it is AWFUL, we are riding starting at 7:00 am, pretty much done by 11:00 and I am teaching lessons then or VERY late (after 6:30 pm). Really sucks that it is SO HOT this early!!

SanJacMonument
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:15 AM
Somehow, Houston hit 100 yesterday (broke a 1902 record), and may hit 100 again today.