PDA

View Full Version : ACTHA Competitive Trail Rides?

MMacallister
Jun. 1, 2011, 10:17 PM
I am planning on attending the ACTHA ride at the VA Horse center on 6/25 but I have never done one before!

Does anyone have any advice? Like what to wear? What to pack in my saddle bags? What kind of obstacles to expect? Is anyone else from here going?

Thanks for any info!

spookhorse
Jun. 1, 2011, 11:19 PM
On every ride I carry in my Snug Pax (cantle and pommel bags):

First Aid kit
hoof pick
rain gear
crochet ear net (my horse *hates* wood bees and they always go for her ears)
wet wipes in a baggie
sunscreen and bugspray (travel size bottles)
granola bars
2 bottles of water
Compass, ink pen, multi-tool

Clipped to my saddle is a lead rope, and pony wears a rope halter under her bridle. If your horse is barefoot, you could carry hoof boots in case the trail is rocky or if your horse is shod, carry an Easy Boot.

You will need someplace to stow your trail map and obstacle list. The Snug Pax pommel bag I have has a little top pocket for that.

Wear comfortable riding clothing of your choice- remember the rides are supposed to be 6-10 miles so make sure you will be ok with whatever you choose for a couple of hours.

To get an idea on what type of obstacles you could encounter, check HERE (http://www.actha.us/index.php?option=com_association&view=guest&area=obstacles&task=view_list) for the different types of obstacles the affiliate can use. How they interpret those obstacles changes from ride to ride and affiliate to affiliate. Ride obstacles can be combinations of several of the obstacles listed here.

HTH!

Simbalism
Jun. 2, 2011, 01:38 AM
I checked out the ACTHA website and watched the obstacle videos. I am going to my first ride next weekend in Palmyra. I have never been to one either, but am going with the idea that I will have a nice trail ride with friends. I'm not expecting to win. I do plan on practicing a few things like side pass and dragging something, just to be sure my mare is ok with those things we rarely do. I may also practice backing up hill. Have fun. I thought about doing the one in Lexington, but am doing a swim clinic with my horse that weekend instead.

JenLS
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:06 PM
Did I read that right? A horse swim clinic? Because that sounds really awesome.

Nizzina
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:29 AM
The list that Shannon provided is awesome and complete! The biggest thing to remember to bring with you to the ride in Palmyra is a sense of humor! You'll laugh at the story line that goes along with the trail and the judges, while they are judging you will laugh and make sure you enjoy the obstacles. The big thing to remember, is it's casual, its, fun and the primary focus for them is to get out there and ride, have fun, and develop better horsemanship & communication!

There is a riders briefing on Saturday morning before the ride that goes over each obstacle and the judging criteria for each. You'll be given the opportunity to ask questions, rules will be discussed and they actually have a short meeting afterwards for "first timers" who didn't want to ask questions in a big group. In the early afternoon, they have several mini-clinics, one of which is ACTHA 101 - presented by actual ACTHA staff members - your chance to get an inside view of actha, the rules, how the points work, obstacles, divisions, all kinds of stuff.

Are you camping for the weekend or just riding for the day?

The staff at the Palmyra ride all wear a blue bandana so you can find them everywhere and the safety riders wear a yellow bandana on the trail - they're all full of helpful hints and everyone is friendly and wants to help you!

Simbalism
Jun. 3, 2011, 05:03 AM
JenLS, yes you read it correctly, swimming with your horse clinic. I have done so in the past, but it has been about 6 years. A friend has never done it, and wanted to try so I am going as her moral support. Nizzina, Thanks for the info. Yes, I am camping at least Friday night. I will see how all is going and may stay Saturday night as well.

JenLS
Jun. 6, 2011, 11:49 PM
That sounds like so much fun!

potteryshop
Jun. 7, 2011, 02:02 PM
I have done some competitive trail riding in the past. Don't remember the organization. It was really a lot of fun. Hope to do it again with my new boy.

Relax, enjoy, and watch some really good, stable horses with great riders. And like I said - have lots of fun.

eventgroupie2
Jun. 7, 2011, 08:17 PM
DH and I are on the "organizing committee" for the ACTHA ride benefiting Hoofbeats at the VA Horse Center June 25th. (we usually judge one obstacle, and then are the scorers ) The suggestions you have gotten so far are great! Just please don't be afraid- we do our very, very best to make everyone feel comfortable, and have a good, safe time. Our obstacles are fun, not intimidating, and our goal is to have everyone have a smile on his/her face the whole day. Our first two ACTHA rides received good reviews, and we try to improve on each one. You will have to love Tenney, the organizer - she is just so great!
So welcome! Be prepared to enjoy your day - we will do everything possible to make that happen.

TalkTeke
Jun. 8, 2011, 01:01 PM
Any rides done in Canada or North Dakota?? Sounds kinda fun and good practise for getting a horse ready for CT and Endurance!

arena run
Jun. 8, 2011, 03:33 PM
JenLS, yes you read it correctly, swimming with your horse clinic. I have done so in the past, but it has been about 6 years. A friend has never done it, and wanted to try so I am going as her moral support. Nizzina, Thanks for the info. Yes, I am camping at least Friday night. I will see how all is going and may stay Saturday night as well.

THAT sounds like a whole heck of a lot of fun. Can you give us a run-down of what the clinic entailed? Who put it on? What they told you? (ie, instructions, safety tips, ideas, etc)

Simbalism
Jun. 9, 2011, 03:00 AM
Arena run, yes I will post after the clinic. It is being held at an awesome training facility called Morningside Farm(they have a website) about 2 hours from where I board my horse.The facility actually has a lake that is shallow enough along one side to accomodate eventing cross country jumps for a water obstacle, good footing and then goes deeper in the middle. The trainer doing the clinc is Dave Yauch(think I spelled that correctly)he also has a website.

MMacallister
Jun. 10, 2011, 02:49 PM
Thanks so much guys!

I think it will be fun, my horse is new to me this year and has more of a show background but has done great on trail rides on four mountain and another one on rt 18 (I know it is national forest but can't think of the name) and just basicly around our place.

Simbalism
Jun. 20, 2011, 02:54 AM
MMacallister, Hope you have a good ride this weekend.I went last weekend to the ride in Palmyra and had a good time(aside from the heat). My mare was good and completed all the obstacles. Have fun!