PDA

View Full Version : Correct boots for Rated shows?

Nanerpus
Jun. 1, 2011, 08:28 PM
I have tall boots and am realizing that because they have laces in the front, they might not be allowed at rated dressage shows. They are zip up in the back.

What's allowed? Are zippers ok? Does it vary by show?

I'm wondering if I need to buy a new pair that is without laces.

mjhco
Jun. 1, 2011, 08:31 PM
These boots are perfectly legal.

Old Fashioned
Jun. 1, 2011, 08:33 PM
You have field boots which are fine for rated or unrated shows. Don't worry about it right now. Later, if you become really serious about dressage, you may want to look into dress boots. They don't have the laces and have a stiffener in the back to help support your leg. I like the field boots. But then again dressage is a small portion of what I do. ;)

ttino101
Jun. 2, 2011, 01:51 AM
Field boots (boots with laces) are legal at any level at USDF shows, but are highly frowned upon in FEI classes. Zipper are always legal! :)

Nanerpus
Jun. 2, 2011, 07:58 AM
Oh great to know, thanks guys! I was hoping...I just bought these last year and they are still basically brand new!

mjhco
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:29 AM
Field boots (boots with laces) are legal at any level at USDF shows, but are highly frowned upon in FEI classes. Zipper are always legal! :)

Please show us the line and verse in the rule book where field boots are 'frowned upon' in FEI classes.

I would like to know.

Carol Ames
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:39 AM
I would love to know here the rumor that field boots were NOT allowed started; I first heard it from a sales person at State Line c. 1985; her version was ; her dressage test at a recent show was marked much lower than usual:confused:, and she thought it must have been because of her boots:lol:

Sandy M
Jun. 2, 2011, 03:42 PM
You have field boots which are fine for rated or unrated shows. Don't worry about it right now. Later, if you become really serious about dressage, you may want to look into dress boots. They don't have the laces and have a stiffener in the back to help support your leg. I like the field boots. But then again dressage is a small portion of what I do. ;)

I actually have field boots with a stiffener up the back (semi-custom Petries), and if they are frowned on at FEI levels, I'll just have to live with that (assuming I ever GET to FEI levels). I have an old foot injury (fracture dislocation) that makes it impossible for me to get into dress boots, even with zippers. If they have zippers, I'll eventually managed to push my way into them, but since the injury is in my arch, the way the zippers are designed means I stress them and they break with great regularity - not worth paying for. Field boots I can loosen sufficiently to get into without pain (or get into at all), and I've shown in all disciplines, including dressage, in them since l974 (the year of my injury).

Janet
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:23 PM
I can't find anything about that.

All I can find is that "above 4th Level", they have to be BLACK, and they have to be tall boots (not jodhpurs). No mention of field vs dress.

carolprudm
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:05 AM
I can't find anything about that.

All I can find is that "above 4th Level", they have to be BLACK, and they have to be tall boots (not jodhpurs). No mention of field vs dress.

LOL, I don't show but always wondered what the judge would say (or think) if we trotted in down center line with my jodphur boots and no half chaps.

I do have a lovely and unwarn pair of DerDaus but I really like jods

Nanerpus
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:35 AM
Well, the reason behind my asking was actually because of a post I saw on here last year.

Someone was looking for a good deal/comfy boot that had a zipper, and I posted a link to my new boots (the ones in question) that look like this:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/dublin-rcs-aristocrat-zip-field-boot/p/X1-38536/cn/9/

Another person replied to my post, saying that while they were nice boots, the OP should not get boots w/laces as they are not allowed at rated shows.

So I've thought all along since then that if I go to a rated show (which I will this summer), I'd need new boots w/out any laces.

Hence my question :)

I'm just glad I don't need to buy new boots!

SillyHorse
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:02 AM

Please show us the line and verse in the rule book where field boots are 'frowned upon' in FEI classes.

I would like to know.
Yes, Enquiring minds want to know.

dwblover
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:10 AM
I wonder where that whole field boot rumor started as well. I just wore my field boots at a rated show in Feb. and I saw several others wearing field boots as well. And I promise you the judge did not notice them!:D And regarding them being frowned upon in FEI classes, I don't believe that is true either, I think most FEI level riders simply don't use field boots. But if someone had an injury or something and wore them I can't possibly imagine a judge deducting points for such a thing. If you actually read the dress rules in the rulebook they are quite general and simple.

SillyHorse
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:25 AM
I wonder where that whole field boot rumor started as well.
I can tell you WHO started it: someone who didn't bother to read to rule book. I've had people tell me it isn't legal to ride in a synthetic saddle, it's illegal to show unbraided, you must wear white breeches and white gloves, and yes, that field boots are not legal.

If you actually read the dress rules in the rulebook they are quite general and simple.
Exactly.

mjhco
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:54 PM
There is always some rocket scientist that spews rules without actually looking them up.

Probably because they do not know how to read.

allison finch
Jun. 12, 2011, 12:26 AM
I've worn my three buckle field boots at CDI-W shows. No problems at all.

SillyHorse
Jun. 12, 2011, 09:23 AM
I've worn my three buckle field boots at CDI-W shows. No problems at all.
Pictures, please!:yes:

allison finch
Jun. 17, 2011, 02:08 PM
Sorry for the late reply. These are what I have by Dehner.

http://www.dehner.com/pics/largephotos/3buckle_fieldboot_large.jpg

I might be getting a new brown pair, soon.

http://www.dehner.com/pics/largephotos/3buckle_brown_yorkshire_large.jpg

LulaBell
Jun. 17, 2011, 02:51 PM

I do believe this is my first (and probably only!) post in the Dressage Forum, but I just had to say that these boots are gorgeous! I wonder if they'd be appropriate for low level polo...

Velvet
Jun. 17, 2011, 02:54 PM
Just to make sure we also clear up any questions at the FEI levels here is what the FEI has in their rules about appropriate dress:

Civilians. The following is compulsory at all CDI3*/CDI4*/CDI5*/CDI-W and CDIOs, FEI Championships, Regional and Olympic Games: a black or dark blue talk coat or other dark coulours may be worn within the international HSV colour scale. Colours having a value for "V" smaller than thirty two percent (32%) according to the HSV model maybe approved through applicaiton to the FEI. Contrast colouring and piping is allowed.

Top hat**: black or may be of same colour as coat
Breeches: white or off white
Stock or ties: white, off white or same colour as coat
Gloves: white, off white or same colour as coat
Riding boots: black or same colour as coat

For Grand Prix Freestyle only, any single colour tailcoat will be allowed. Striped or multi-coloured coats are not permitted. Tasteful and discreet accents, such as a collar of a different hue or modest piping or crystal decorations, are acceptable.

At all CII1*/CDI2*, a black or dark blue jacket (colours see above) with a bowler hat or hunting cap is also permitted. This dress is also desireable for all other International Dressage Events, unless otherwise stated in any special rules (CDIV, CDIJ, CDIP, CDI-Ch).

Note**: If, for safety reasons, an Athlete wishes to wear approved protective headgear, this is permitted.

So, there you go! :D

Now, the USEF does have other rules, but it's tall boots and nothing against field boots that I ever recall reading.

meupatdoes
Jun. 17, 2011, 04:39 PM
There is always some rocket scientist that spews rules without actually looking them up.

Probably because they do not know how to read.

A+

Favorite post of the day.

SillyHorse
Jun. 17, 2011, 05:59 PM

Swoon!

DutchDressageQueen
Jun. 17, 2011, 06:02 PM
I have ridden up to FEI PSG with field boots. I was not frowned upon :)
I still have field boots, and am still showing in them!

DancingDraft
Jun. 18, 2011, 12:12 AM

Those are gorgeous! Very unique!