PDA

View Full Version : Ever have that "duh!"-moment???

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Jun. 1, 2011, 06:57 PM
Every so often I get side tracked with a particular thing and simply forget something very basic, something that I absolutely know, but I lose sight of it. Just recently I got hit over the head with a reminder about the training scale. My mare likes to rush and use that as an evasion to pay attention to her surroundings rather than to me. She's not spooky at all, but on some days, if given the opportunity to look around rather than focus on her work, she will (well, who wouldn't! :winkgrin:).

So when the trainer hopped on her, she said to me "All I'm concerned about is getting the rhythm I want!" DUH!!! I've been treating the symptoms with limited success, not the cause! Next ride I made sure to count, count, count in my head and it took me a minute to find my rhythm-dictating-seat, but once I did, I had the most lovely ride. She was super soft in the contact and stayed with my seat through a series of transitions. :D I'm so thrilled! :) And yet wonder why I forgot in the first place :mad:

Pocket Pony
Jun. 1, 2011, 09:04 PM
I have those moments every day. It is hard to mention just *one* thing that I'm supposed to remember - I only wish I could remember them all at once! :lol:

equinelerium
Jun. 1, 2011, 09:50 PM
I have those moments every day. It is hard to mention just *one* thing that I'm supposed to remember - I only wish I could remember them all at once! :lol:

Couldn't have said it better myself!

EqTrainer
Jun. 1, 2011, 09:57 PM
There is a reason rhythm is on the bottom of the training scale :lol:

carolprudm
Jun. 2, 2011, 06:56 AM
There was the time that I realized that my old mare was rushing because she was tense because I was trying to darn hard to make her stop rushing

Elegante E
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:32 AM
Constantly having "duh" moments. Fix one thing, forget another. Recently realized that my lower leg had gotten noisy. Couldn't figure it out for the life of me till asked trainer. Fixed that in ten seconds, just was reminded how different mis alignments create different off balances. Had been trying to bring my upper body just a tad forward and lost the lower leg, but hand't had lower leg issues for so long didn't think about how changing upper body in such a tiny way would upset lower leg. Duh.

Carol Ames
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:48 AM
I recall hearing a story about a BNR/ BNT whose first lesson was always walk your horse around the arena and tell me where the rhythm changes; I'm sure the student thought of course,

I did not come for a lesson at walk:lol:

Arizona DQ
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:29 PM
Here's an extension to the Ah-ha moment......... when the rider's focus (attention to detail) lapses, so does the horse's ........................

And yep, been there done that. ;)

Exactly! MY trainer says that when my mind drifts out of the arena, my mare's follows..... I AM learning to stay focused so she (my mare) will too.........:yes:

JCS
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:07 PM
There was the time that I realized that my old mare was rushing because she was tense because I was trying to darn hard to make her stop rushing

This was me today... Note to self: Pulling on the reins does not work! DUH!

naturalequus
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:33 PM
Oh, ALL the time I have those moments too!!! Usually it's so simple it makes me want to just smack my head against the arena wall. And apologize to my horse(s) for my absolute stupidity. :p There just isn't room enough in our heads sometimes for everything at one time :)