PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Paddock Boot

Lesmiz_07
Jun. 1, 2011, 07:17 PM
Hello Friends!

I'm currently in the market for a new pair of paddock boots and was curious as to what your favorite brands/styles were! Price is a factor for me, but if it is a high quality boot, I would be willing to make an investment if the boots will last. Durability is probably the most important factor to me since I wear paddock boots constantly. So, let me know what you all think!

Leprechaun
Jun. 1, 2011, 07:19 PM
Zip Ariats

joiedevie99
Jun. 1, 2011, 07:22 PM
Grand Prix

Across Sicily
Jun. 1, 2011, 07:27 PM
Blundstones. Great quality and soooo comfy! Plus no zippers to break!

PNWjumper
Jun. 1, 2011, 07:33 PM
I'm totally and completely in love with my Ariat Monaco paddock boots. I've owned just about everything out there at one point or another and these are hands down the most comfortable paddock boots I've had. I've worn mine daily for a year and a half and they still look brand new when I clean them up.

I initially bought them with the Monaco half chaps to subsitute my broken Monaco tall boots when one of the zippers broke. I figured I'd just wear them for clinics, schooling shows, and whenever I needed a sub for a broken boot. But they're so comfy (both the paddock and the half chap) that I live in them. If it's any indication of how much I love them, I bought a second pair when they were on Tack of the Day last year and now have a brand new pair sitting in a box waiting for my current ones to die. Or maybe that's just an indication of how much of a "tack problem" I have :D

allison finch
Jun. 1, 2011, 07:36 PM
Dehner paddock boots fit like they were made for you. Oh,....wait....they ARE made for you!!

STA
Jun. 1, 2011, 07:42 PM
Parlanti makes a beautiful zip paddock boot. The zipper is in the back of the boot similar to tall boots, with faux laces in the front.

Lesmiz_07
Jun. 2, 2011, 07:08 AM
Thanks so much everyone! I'm currently looking at a pair of Grand Prix because I've heard that Ariats don't hold up real well. I mean I think they are beautiful, but might want to try a different brand first, we will see :) But thanks so much for comments! They are leading me well so far!

copper1
Jun. 2, 2011, 07:56 AM
Don't go with cheap paddock boots! I too live in mine and when my Ariats died last fall, I needed new boots ASAP. Local tack shop does not carry Ariat (go figure!) and I couldn't wait to place an order so I bought a pair of less expensive ones. comfy enough but after just 6 months they are dying! zips are ok but they are breaking down and the whole heel is coming off one boot. Need to get online and order probably Ariat which have been good to me in the past.

katherineyyyy
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:06 AM
my saxon paddock boots were like fifty dollars and i've had them for over a year with very little wear. i also clean them alot and take super good care of them though

MyGiantPony
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:20 AM
I've had my Dublins for probably 8 years and they've held up beautifully to hard use.

Haven't even had to have them resoled yet, but I do need to get some new laces soon.

I think they were around $50 at the time. Well worth every penny.

OveroHunter
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:42 AM
I've had my Ariats for 8 years and they have held up pretty well. There was a time when I rode 3-4 horses a day 6 days a week and they worked great, but now I only wear them right before I ride then take them off as soon as I'm done. I'll probably have to buy new ones soon, but I hate the look of the new Ariats!

DMK
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:06 AM
I've had Kroops and hadfields, and I love both - my current pair of hadfields is on year 6, but I also am really good about only wearing them when I am riding, I am very good about not washing horses or cleaning stalls in my paddock boots. I did have a pair of ariats and they did not last even a year (and the zipper lasted less than that), but in all fairness that was probably 20 years ago, so YMMV

Giddy-up
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:13 AM
I have had Grand Prix for years. I am hard on my boots & they hold up well.

Velvet
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:19 AM
Zip Ariats

Best invention ever! :yes: :yes:

Mako
Jun. 2, 2011, 01:29 PM
Agree. I love my zip Ariat's. Held up well, I barely take care of them, get them wet when hosing off the beast etc..and after 5-6yrs I have to retire them. The zippers are hard to get up now. I'm sure if I used some sort of lube zipper spray they would work again but I already bought new Ariats on sale :D

Bogie
Jun. 2, 2011, 01:30 PM
I bought tredstep paddock boots from Tack of the Day and love them! They were about $80 on sale and they fit well and look good.

seabreeze
Jun. 2, 2011, 03:41 PM
I've used Ariats for years, Grand Prix before that. I prefer the boots that have laces in the front and zippers up the back (my current ones are the Ariat Hanovers, but they've been discontinued...another name for the back-zip model now). I don't like front zips or jods because they don't have enough "give" to them, and my ankles always end up hurting.

Happy shopping!

LulaBell
Jun. 2, 2011, 03:51 PM
Grand Prix. I had a good experience with my Ariats (lasted about 10 years, but they were bought in like 1998). They were the old school lace up ones, no zippers, before the Cobalts, Crownes, Monacos, etc.

I had the Tredsteps a few years ago, and IME ran REALLY narrow. Sold those on and got the Grand Prix. I really like them, no complaints, but not quite as comfy as those old school Ariats. I would love some Monacos, the paddock boot/half chap situation as well as the tall boot!

PNWJumper, are the half chap and paddock boot combo more durable than the tall boot in your experience? How does the leather wear on the half chap?

I have no need for new half chaps, my customs are super dark navy blue goatskin (slightly stretchy) with fringe, pink snakeskin strip on the outside with silver piping. And I'm SUPER conservative with my tack and attire! They are lovely...

Bogie
Jun. 2, 2011, 04:14 PM
G

I had the Tredsteps a few years ago, and IME ran REALLY narrow.

good point. I bought the men's size which is wider.

PNWjumper
Jun. 5, 2011, 07:39 PM
PNWJumper, are the half chap and paddock boot combo more durable than the tall boot in your experience? How does the leather wear on the half chap?

They seem to be. The leather is definitely thicker than it is on the boots. I've worn them every day for over a year now (multiple horses a day) and wade through mud, hose horses off in them, etc. and they still clean up to look as good as new. I've owned just about every off-the-rack half chap out there and so far these have been better than my Grand Prix, Tredstep, Lende, and other Ariat half chaps both in terms of appearance and durability. I was a little worried about the inside of the calf (which has the same soft leather as the boots, though the whole half chap is lined under the soft leather), but it's held up fine.

In addition to loving the half chaps, the paddock boots have also far exceeded my expectations. I'd been going through a pair of Ariat Crowne Pros every 1-2 years, but my Monaco paddocks are easily 2-3x nicer than the Crownes and have held up way better to boot (ha ha, pun intended).

The only complaint I have about the boot/half chap combo is that the elastic strap that goes under your foot is maybe 1/2" too long on mine. It would be an easy fix if I cared enough to fix it (I had the same problem with my Lendes when I got them and a few stitches fixed it for me), but it's not very noticeable under saddle so I haven't bothered.