PDA

View Full Version : Renegade boots anyone?

LookmaNohands
Jun. 1, 2011, 04:08 PM
I have a horse with funky feet. ( I won't bore you with the tale of his four surgeries). What I am looking for is a lightweight boot that will go over his shoes so I can ride him in a sand ring or possibly occasionally on a lightly graveled road.

I need to keep pressure off his soles so he needs a boot. He cannot wear pads because they make his hooves too soft. :no:

My farrier recommended Renegade boots but I don't know much about them.

I can ride him in the grass but right now it is too tall as the hay has not been cut yet. I really would like to be able to ride him in a regular arena some times.

I have many kinds of boots for him but now I need something to go over his shoes. I have one kind called Bosana boots but they are really too heavy.

He is finally sound enough to put some training on him :D but for this one problem.

I would love to hear some advice on these or other boots.

LMH
Jun. 1, 2011, 04:23 PM
I can't imagine Renegades going over shoes.

They are awesome boots for barefoot-my favorite...but not over shoes.

If you need a shoe with sole protection, I would suggest Eponas.

BigHorseLittleHorse
Jun. 1, 2011, 06:59 PM
nope, not over shoes - they'd never fit. They're designed for barefoot horses.

chicamux
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:06 AM
I have used the regular Easyboot that has a heel strap and gaiter over shoes. I had to use a slightly larger size so the strap would fit over the heels of his shoes. Another possibility is to use a size that will allow the foot and shoe to sit flat on the sole of the boot and order/install longer heel straps (made for a larger size boot).

Personally, I really love pour-in pads. If the foot is cleaned and prepped properly by the farrier before the liquid stuff is poured onto the sole it will adhere fantastically and your horses foot will be dry and healthy under the pad. I've used this stuff for years and never had a damp/soft hoof result. Many farriers have never used it so they either don't want to try or have misconceptions about it.

Yes, a standard nail on pad will likely cause issues over time.

I switched to Hoof-it a few years ago. I can apply it myself, at any time in the shoeing cycle. If I know I have a really rocky ride coming up I will simply clean the sole of a shod foot really well, mix the powder and liquid from Hoof-it together and pour into the sole. I have one horse that chipped a coffin bone years ago and he has always been sensitive on that one foot on big rocks since then. I simply leave the hoof-it in until my farrier comes out for the next shoeing visit. His soles and frogs are always in great shape when the padding is popped loose and removed. I do not live in a dray climate, lots of wet and mud here most of the year.

PS Pore-in pads tend to help keep shoes on, far fewer lost shoes for those that have horses who loose shoes chronically.
Bonnie S.

paintedtrails
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:37 AM
I have renegades but can't imagine them going over a shoe either...
I think chicamux has a good suggestion for you to try.

pj
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:19 AM
When I was researching boots to buy I noticed that the simple boot is said to work over shoes.
I pulled this up.
http://www.cavallo-inc.com/products/hoof-boots/questions.html

sign of Grace
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:29 AM
My friend uses OldMac over her shoes. Don't know how heavy they are though. I'm surprised at how well they have lasted as most boots in general are designed for the barefoot horse.

And I agree with everyone else, NO WAY for the renegades to go over shoes. Love them for all my horses (all 4 are barefoot endurance horses) but you'd never get the heel captivator over the back of the shoe.

ParkerFarrierService
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:27 PM
I'm not aware of any boot that would go over a shoe but still be low profile enough for your horse to move without looking like he has clown feet on. Your best bet would be the Old Mac...

One possible suggestion: Have you considered a Hospital Plate???

you could use it when you need the extra protection and simply remove it and plug up the threaded holes like they were for caulks when not in use.

LookmaNohands
Jun. 3, 2011, 04:13 PM
I'm not aware of any boot that would go over a shoe but still be low profile enough for your horse to move without looking like he has clown feet on. Your best bet would be the Old Mac...

One possible suggestion: Have you considered a Hospital Plate???

you could use it when you need the extra protection and simply remove it and plug up the threaded holes like they were for caulks when not in use.

I may have to do this. Had one on him after part of his sole was removed a few years back.

I have not tried the old macs over his shoes. I don't think the one's that I have would fit.

Thanks all!

HorsingRound
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:02 PM
There is a farrier here in SoCal who, with his wife and their two horses, completed the Pacific Crest Trail with their horses shod with EasyBoots over the shoes. He would modify the boots so that they didn't collect sand and would stay drained, and he bent down the raspy things on the inside, among other modifications. He said he would remove the boots each night and that at first it would take some elbow grease, but that it got easier. He said he lost ONE SHOE the entire journey from Mexico to Canada.

It can be done.

cmkdreams
Jun. 4, 2011, 10:37 PM
[QUOTE=ParkerFarrierService;5642742]I'm not aware of any boot that would go over a shoe but still be low profile enough for your horse to move without looking like he has clown feet on. Your best bet would be the Old Mac...

I've used both the original Easy Boot & the EasyBoot Epics over shoes for endurance riding. They work quite well & aren't clownish at all. I tried the Old Mac once & my horse could hardly walk around the clumsiness of them.