PDA

View Full Version : Pony Show Jumping?

LeapOfFaith
Jun. 1, 2011, 02:26 PM
I am primarily an eventer, but i have recently acquired a pony that is just under 13.2h and can jump the moon, he seriously puts all the huge warmbloods in the barn to shame. I've never been involved in straight show jumping but i really think this little guy was made for it, he's a little too speedy for the pony hunter circuit. I'm wondering if anyone has some info on Pony jumpers.... is their an organization? what are the jump heights? and anything else i should know to get me and this little guy started would be very helpful!!!
Thanks so much!!!

findeight
Jun. 1, 2011, 02:34 PM
Pony Jumpers are run under the auspices of the USEF and USHJA just like all the other rated divisions.

It is a very small division IF offered and many shows do not offer it at all. Most of them show in the regular level IIish ch/ad jumpers because that is the height when PJ is offered, no height splits.

gusbabe
Jun. 1, 2011, 02:47 PM
Heights range from 3' to 3'6", spreads can be up to 4'. To be competitive at the bigger shows in the pony jumper world, ponies need to be able to do an in and out at 3'6" with one being a spread. If your pony can do that, then it could compete at the big shows like Devon and Harrisburg. If your pony can't do that, there are pony jumper classses offered at lower heights so will still be able to compete but more from a fun perspective rather than for points.
If you are in zone 2 ,there is quite a bit of pony jumper action at the bigger shows. Otherwise, you will probably have to do the child/ adult jumpers.
Good luck!

OveroHunter
Jun. 1, 2011, 02:54 PM
Heights range from 3' to 3'6", spreads can be up to 4'. To be competitive at the bigger shows in the pony jumper world, ponies need to be able to do an in and out at 3'6" with one being a spread. If your pony can do that, then it could compete at the big shows like Devon and Harrisburg. If your pony can't do that, there are pony jumper classses offered at lower heights so will still be able to compete but more from a fun perspective rather than for points.
If you are in zone 2 ,there is quite a bit of pony jumper action at the bigger shows. Otherwise, you will probably have to do the child/ adult jumpers.
Good luck!

Just my own curiosity - can adult can show in pony jumpers the big shows?

ExJumper
Jun. 1, 2011, 03:07 PM
Just my own curiosity - can adult can show in pony jumpers the big shows?

No. Pony jumpers is a junior division.

OveroHunter
Jun. 1, 2011, 03:27 PM
That's what I figured. I thought all pony divisions were junior divisions.

BAC
Jun. 1, 2011, 05:30 PM
That's what I figured. I thought all pony divisions were junior divisions.

I think there is an exception for schooling pony division, but then if an adult shows the pony it cannot compete with a junior in any other classes at that same show IIRC, although I may be wrong.

MyssMyst
Jun. 1, 2011, 05:58 PM
Hey, Stroller did it against the big boys, and took Olympic Silver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroller_(horse)

Edit: Not saying he's Stroller, but pointing out that it has been done in the adult divisions before (even if it's super rare).

Rel6
Jun. 1, 2011, 06:16 PM
I think there is an exception for schooling pony division, but then if an adult shows the pony it cannot compete with a junior in any other classes at that same show IIRC, although I may be wrong.

A pony can be shown by an adult in any class where the adult is eligible (schoolings, low hunters, even the adults) but cannot do the pony hunters at the same show. I'm pretty sure they can still do the ch hunter.

findeight
Jun. 1, 2011, 06:21 PM
Cross entering a Pony between Jumpers ridden by an adult and regular Childrens Hunters (open to anything ridden by a child) is a zone deal and it might vary. Don't see one doing hunters and Jumpers at the A levels often or at all so kind of a moot point.

But it cannot do PONY anything if it also goes in a regular division at the same show.

allison finch
Jun. 1, 2011, 07:52 PM
Too bad the USA doesn't value pony jumpers as much as they do in Europe. This new forest pony bred by a friend in Ontario is being targeted for the European market.

At his pony inspection as a youngster

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w162/allisonfinch_photos/dracofreejump.jpg

Starting under saddle at five

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w162/allisonfinch_photos/Canadian%20clinic%20May%202011/DracoandAmy2.jpg

fordtraktor
Jun. 1, 2011, 11:18 PM
I showed my ponies in the Children's/Adult Jumpers back before there were Pony Jumpers (and back before there were "Low Children's/Adult"), and they did very well. It is not that hard for a decent pony to jump 3'6, my western pleasure quarter horse pony and grade barrel racing pony had no problems getting around clean and often won in big, 30-plus classes. Ponies are very handy and can turn much better than the big horses.

Rel6
Jun. 1, 2011, 11:23 PM
I showed my ponies in the Children's/Adult Jumpers back before there were Pony Jumpers (and back before there were "Low Children's/Adult"), and they did very well. It is not that hard for a decent pony to jump 3'6, my western pleasure quarter horse pony and grade barrel racing pony had no problems getting around clean and often won in big, 30-plus classes. Ponies are very handy and can turn much better than the big horses.

At Garden State the winner of the 5k jack fritz derby (3'3'') was a pony jumper. I see a few in the ch highs too. The only thing thats hard in the ch/ad is finding striding in the in and outs that works for your pony.

fordtraktor
Jun. 2, 2011, 12:02 PM
At Garden State the winner of the 5k jack fritz derby (3'3'') was a pony jumper. I see a few in the ch highs too. The only thing thats hard in the ch/ad is finding striding in the in and outs that works for your pony.

Depending on the course I would occasionally add in the in and outs, something totally inappropriate on a horse but with the right pony, can work fine. I could package my WP pony in particular to easily fit two in the one if I came in with a bouncy canter with her back on her hocks (a 7 foot stride was no problem for her, she could lope a much smaller one!). If the approach was more galloping, she did the one.

These are decisions we made during the course walk. You have to plan it out, doing 2 with a plan and the right approach is no big deal, doing 2 because you went for the one but didn't make it is a recipe for disaster.

sansibar
Jun. 2, 2011, 12:25 PM
Too bad the USA doesn't value pony jumpers as much as they do in Europe.

Ya pony jumpers are BIG over there I couldn't believe the prices of some of them!