PDA

View Full Version : "The A Circuit" once again... XD

GingerJumper
Jun. 1, 2011, 12:27 PM
Can't find the old thread on Georgina's book, The A Circuit, so this is getting its own.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110601/pl_yblog_theticket/bloombergs-daughter-writes-a-novel-inspired-by-her-father
:lol:

holaamigoalter
Jun. 1, 2011, 07:06 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110601/pl_yblog_theticket/bloombergs-daughter-writes-a-novel-inspired-by-her-father?bouchon=501,ny

Rel6
Jun. 1, 2011, 09:46 PM
Funny that this is popping up again. I was interviewed by channel 11 news and asked to share my opinion on the book. I also pointed them to the other thread about it...so some comments might even be getting a little air time.

Dallasgreenie
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:08 AM
I just started the book yesterday. Not the best writing, but I need to get more into the book, and then post later.

KateKat
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:40 AM
just finished it. Its definitely a bit of fluff with no real plot, just a lot of drama (and some pretty unrealistic things going on).

But...at least its pretty spot on with horse lingo. I had been reading other reviews about people (who clearly aren't horse people) complaining about how technical some of the wording is (it really isn't), which I guess might be a little annoying to some!

Happyhooves
Jun. 2, 2011, 12:42 PM
***dinosaur alert****
Wow, what a difference between the horse books I read as a kid and this one...

Gnrock25
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:35 PM
It was given as a prize at Devon... I dont know what to say

*jumper*
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:41 PM
***dinosaur alert****
Wow, what a difference between the horse books I read as a kid and this one...

I'm only 20 and I see the difference :no: Of course my favorites were still from before my time...My Friend Flicka and all that :)

StrawberryFields
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:42 PM
A prize at devon???? Lol!! My favorite were the Thoroughbred series. And heartland!

Rel6
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:47 AM
It was given as a prize at Devon... I dont know what to say

Old Salem too :/

I just finished it. So. much. fail.

greenwoodeq
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:19 AM
A prize at devon???? Lol!! My favorite were the Thoroughbred series. And heartland!

It is like you read my mind... I read those things til there were holes in them. They fueled my desire to find some underdog horse and make it a champion (maybe that's why i have a life full of OTTBs and rescue projects : p) haha

StrawberryFields
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:21 AM
Greenwoodeq.... me too! I stillwant to be a jockey. I even bought an ottb dapplr graay mare... like the one in the Thoroughbred series.I think the mares name was sterling??

Rel6
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:47 AM
Greenwoodeq.... me too! I stillwant to be a jockey. I even bought an ottb dapplr graay mare... like the one in the Thoroughbred series.I think the mares name was sterling??

Sterling Dream!!! That was the Thoroughbred's series first foray into h/j land (although they did dabble in it in the pre-series). Parker does eventing later in the series. LOVED the series, even if I had no idea "Ashleigh" was pronounced "Ashley" for years.

StrawberryFields
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:54 AM
Yes!! Such good books! I used to do book reports on them in elem/middle school! Good times!

Rel6
Jun. 3, 2011, 02:13 AM
Yes!! Such good books! I used to do book reports on them in elem/middle school! Good times!

SAME!!!

Darkstar
Jun. 3, 2011, 03:34 AM
Sterling Dream!!! That was the Thoroughbred's series first foray into h/j land (although they did dabble in it in the pre-series). Parker does eventing later in the series. LOVED the series, even if I had no idea "Ashleigh" was pronounced "Ashley" for years.

Sterling was an event horse from the start, not H/J :p Hee.

Yeah, you can tell I read them in middle school as well.

Haven't read 'The A Circuit' but from the excerpt, I'll stay clear. I couldn't even make it through that without rolling my eyes.

Rel6
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:58 AM
Sterling was an event horse from the start, not H/J :p Hee.

Yeah, you can tell I read them in middle school as well.

Haven't read 'The A Circuit' but from the excerpt, I'll stay clear. I couldn't even make it through that without rolling my eyes.

Oh yea, true. Wait Ty? was the hunter/jumper, right? Samantha's husband? They trained the steepleshaser Sierra at his barn I think.

(Let's just keep talking about them like they're real people.)

GingerJumper
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:26 PM
LOL you guys are cracking me up!

chukkerchild
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:31 PM
Yeah, her husband was Tor haha. And Samatha did eventing as well, in Ireland, and then moved back... I think Tor did solely steeplechasing? Not sure.

Sterling was off the track and then was an Eventer, Christina's boyfriend Parker Townsend did upper-level eventing and went to Rolex and trained in England for Badminton and Burghley. Christina quit eventing to start racing when Wonder's last foal Star was born...

Yes, I read them all. Far too much. My favorites were 28 "Camp Saddlebrook" and 31(?) Dylan's Choice. Such good riding scenes and lesson descriptions. I learned things. And oh boy did I want to go to that camp.

LulaBell
Jun. 3, 2011, 12:56 PM
I still have ALL of my old Thoroughbred books, my God, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was so obsessed! I was in a remedial reading class in 1st grade, and by 3rd grade I discovered Saddle Club and Thoroughbred book...my parents got calls from my teachers because I was reading under my desk and not paying attention in class!

I credit those series with me becoming the voracious reader I am today...although the transition from horse series to chic lit to real literature has taken awhile!

And yes, Tor was Samantha's husband. They started off with Sierra as a steeplechaser, but Tor and his dad started out with a lesson stable and Tor rode jumpers, he transitioned into a jump jock for Sierra. Much later on, they opened their eventing barn after returning from Ireland. I loved that they pulled Ashleigh's childhood friend, Mona, from some of the "before" books as Christina's first instructor with her pony Trib and then with Sterling. I always really liked Parker and his mare Foxy. She seemed like a fun ride! Ok, yes, I have reread them multiple times. Always made me wish I lived in Kentucky. And I wanted to be a jockey, of course, too bad I'm 5'8".

NeverCanWait
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:18 PM
Here's my two cents for what it's worth...Seems to me that the book should have been a bio, which could have been taken a little more seriously. Never to dimish her riding abilities (because she's awesome), let's be frank, how many people are going to sympathize with the growing pains of a socialite? How about a book about aspiring grand prix riders who arose from the challenges of poverty? - at least that's inspirational and in line with other horse-driven classics!

rivenoak
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:26 PM
How about a book about aspiring grand prix riders who arose from the challenges of poverty?

I don't know that it was poverty-riddled, but I think Eric Lamaze's bio is...uh... "interesting" & he made it to GP.

BLBGP
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:31 PM
I confess. I read it. I thought it was simple and the characters were one-dimensional, but it was a fun read. If you have 90 minutes or so to kill, aren't expecting much or easily offended, and don't want to use that time to enrich your education in any way, why not? A fun summertime by the pool brain freeze.

Signed - A 30-something former English major who likes to take a break from the life-enriching reads from time to time by reading Mary Higgens Clark, Riders, the Hunger Games, and yes, this book too. Please don't take away my diploma. ;)

StrawberryFields
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:49 PM
I have too many other books on my long list to read first.... so I think I will pass! Some of those thoroughbred books came into my mom's consignment shop and I was sooo tempted to buy them!

hntrjmprpro45
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:51 PM
I'll admit, I don't like Georgina. I've never really been impressed with her in or out of the saddle. Sure she is a good rider (now) but she gets more attention than she has really earned. I really want to like her but everytime she is interviewed I want to smack my head on my desk. I'm afraid if I read this book I may lose what little respect I have for her as an intelligent young woman.

(I'll go ahead and blame the heat wave for my cranky post).

StrawberryFields
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:55 PM
Who is georgina?

hntrjmprpro45
Jun. 3, 2011, 02:02 PM
Who is georgina?

Georgina Bloomberg is the co-author of "the A Circuit".

ETA: she is an up and coming GP rider and also is Mayor Bloomberg's daughter.

belgianWBLuver
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:42 PM
Who is georgina?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Tha Ridge
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:55 PM
I'll admit, I don't like Georgina. I've never really been impressed with her in or out of the saddle. Sure she is a good rider (now) but she gets more attention than she has really earned.

This post is sad to me, as Georgina has NEVER, EVER, EVER wanted any of the attention she gets—she has said, on many occasions, that she hates the fact that her last name is Bloomberg and doesn't want any of the press, attention, or special privileges that come along with it, so cut the girl some slack. She's not a Gossip Girl-style drama queen who craves attention like so many horse show kids.

mepkkg
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:00 PM
Yeah, her husband was Tor haha. And Samatha did eventing as well, in Ireland, and then moved back... I think Tor did solely steeplechasing? Not sure.

Sterling was off the track and then was an Eventer, Christina's boyfriend Parker Townsend did upper-level eventing and went to Rolex and trained in England for Badminton and Burghley. Christina quit eventing to start racing when Wonder's last foal Star was born...

Yes, I read them all. Far too much. My favorites were 28 "Camp Saddlebrook" and 31(?) Dylan's Choice. Such good riding scenes and lesson descriptions. I learned things. And oh boy did I want to go to that camp.

I would have killed to go to that camp! But yes those books were great, I probably re-read my favorites at least 4 times..I'll have to go dig them up for old times sake now

Rel6
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:37 PM

No, they only did eventing because Sierra kept jumping out of paddocks. Tor and his father had a h/j barn that Samantha jumped Sierra at. I think lol

dp1092
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:05 PM

THE HEARTLAND BOOKS WERE THE BEST! I think I read them all :) and also a prize at Devon? Really? I don't even know what to say about that...

eventwriter
Jun. 4, 2011, 11:10 AM
Hi folks,

After years of lurking, this is my first post here. As a published novelist who is just finishing (but hasn't sold) my 5th novel, a suspense with eventers set in Southern Pines, I couldn't wait to get my hands on Georgina and Catherine's new book! I polished it off the day I got it. From my perspective--and I also edit fiction and non-fiction, it's a competently written piece of popular fiction told from the points of view of three intriguing and marketable larger-than-life characters. Zara, the rock star's daughter, whose opening pov scene is the sample a lot of readers here didn't care for, may be the hardest to like, but she has the steepest growth arc--is the most in need of change and is more an antagonist than a protagonist. She's by no means "fixed" by the end but a sequel is in the works, and it's fun for an author to have a character in that much need of change. And presumably for the reader too to see that change.

For me the one thing missing is a more vibrant "horse hero," but that may well be a completely different novel.

I welcome this publication, and hope this can be the beginning of a new surge of interest in equestrian fiction, but more important a renewed recognition by established print publishers that equestrian fiction has many fans. Jilly Cooper's Riders and Polo are still in print, and she has a new book Jump (Corgi, 752 pp.) out just last month.

Yes, the cover of A Circuit isn't spot on, but someone noted elsewhere on this thread, authors rarely have a say, although we may be asked for a story outline and more rarely pictures to guide the artist that Production usually outsources. That was certainly the case with my first four novels.

I'm fascinated by your reactions to the product placements of high end equestrian gear. In my novel, I considered having my eventers walking cross-country courses in their Dubarry's and riding in Charles Owens, which is in fact what they do. I did name saddles my key characters use in the different phases, but it's a fine line between verisimilitude, looking snooty, and alienating your non-horsy reader with too much stuff. I'd appreciate advice on what to do in my novel.

For those interested in more background on The A Circuit, The New York Times just did a feature on it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/01/nyregion/book-by-georgina-bloomberg-is-fiction-with-tell-all-references.html?_r=3&hp=&adxnnl=1&pagewanted=1&adxnnlx=1307196072-3POVF/F4V3q/kJz04SQjYw

I'd love more details about her exact collaboration with Catherine Hapka. But what a book launch! Georgina's giving some share of her profits to her charities, which is a good thing.

Judith Stanton
HORSE TRIALS, a work in progress
www.catcrossing.com

Coreene
Jun. 4, 2011, 11:58 AM
Of course having a personal publicist shoots a big hole to two into the theory of not wanting media attention.

Summit Springs Farm
Jun. 4, 2011, 01:21 PM
Of course having a personal publicist shoots a big hole to two into the theory of not wanting media attention.

:lol::lol:

InWhyCee Redux
Jun. 5, 2011, 12:00 PM

Amen. if she really didn't want ANY attention, she never would have agreed to appear in the documentary "Born Rich," pose for magazines, do advertisements, or write this book. I do not know her personally, but she is beginning to irk me in that it seems that she wants it both ways.

greenwoodeq
Jun. 5, 2011, 04:33 PM

OMG me too! haha i have a grey OTTB mare... oh childhood. I think sterling was thame.

remyman55
Jun. 5, 2011, 06:51 PM
i thought the book was pretty good *unpopular opinion*

FrittSkritt
Jun. 6, 2011, 01:38 PM
This post is sad to me, as Georgina has NEVER, EVER, EVER wanted any of the attention she gets—she has said, on many occasions, that she hates the fact that her last name is Bloomberg and doesn't want any of the press, attention, or special privileges that come along with it, so cut the girl some slack. She's not a Gossip Girl-style drama queen who craves attention like so many horse show kids.

O RLY? Because publically lambasting her ex-boyfriend in the New York Post is definitely not drama queen behavior at all... :lol:

InWhyCee Redux
Jun. 6, 2011, 02:07 PM
O RLY? Because publically lambasting her ex-boyfriend in the New York Post is definitely not drama queen behavior at all... :lol:

I wouldn't say she's quite a drama queen, but if she doesn't want ANY attention, she should take notes from fellow heiress/show jumper Athina Onassis and JUST STOP TALKING to the press. ;)

Pirateer
Jun. 7, 2011, 12:06 AM
I couldn't help myself and downloaded it last night. Nothing to write home about, but not terrible either. It may have inspired me to put a few more chapters into some of my unfinished manuscripts. :)

shinysparkle
Jun. 7, 2011, 01:01 AM
THE HEARTLAND BOOKS WERE THE BEST! I think I read them all :) and also a prize at Devon? Really? I don't even know what to say about that...

I read every horse series I could get my hands on, and also read the Heartland books. They were pretty good but somewhat depressing; kind of reminded me of the Pine Hollow series (the Saddle Club grown up).

I'm sure many of you know that The Saddle Club was made into a TV series, but Heartland has also been made into a TV series! It is very well done and now one of my favorite shows. It is a Canadian series airing on CBC but you can watch older episodes on your local television network on the weekends or GMC on Thursday nights if you have satellite. I believe some fans have episodes posted on YouTube also.

http://www.theheartlandranch.com/watch-by-location.html
http://www.cbc.ca/heartland/

As for Georgina's book, I'll be heading to the library to check it out, but may end up walking out with a bunch of old Thoroughbred books.

GingerJumper
Jun. 7, 2011, 09:38 AM
LOL, I broke down and read it a few days ago... took me about 3 hours, if that. It wasn't completely horrible, but overall I'd say it was pretty pathetic.

Kryswyn
Jun. 19, 2011, 11:30 PM
With the launch the Sunday USA Weekend magazine had a little blurb about the book. What makes it notable is this quote from Georgina herself:

"There was not a great horse book that I could think of that I read when I was growing up, so this something exciting to be able to do."

OH REALLY?????

I guess this answers the question of whether Georgina ever browsed the COTH boards and its too numerous to list threads on GREAT HORSE BOOKS.

Imagine having all that money and not being able to find a great horse book to read. You'd think her school might've required, mmm The Red Pony or IDK Black Beauty.

InWhyCee Redux
Jun. 19, 2011, 11:38 PM
With the launch the Sunday USA Weekend magazine had a little blurb about the book. What makes it notable is this quote from Georgina herself:

"There was not a great horse book that I could think of that I read when I was growing up, so this something exciting to be able to do."

OH REALLY?????

I guess this answers the question of whether Georgina ever browsed the COTH boards and its too numerous to list threads on GREAT HORSE BOOKS.

Imagine having all that money and not being able to find a
great horse book to read. You'd think her school might've required, mmm
The Red Pony or IDK Black
Beauty.

I read that, too. She really, really, really needs to stop talking to the press.
I mean, REALLY. Someone's publicist is NOT doing a good job.

Let's see -- Marguerite Henry? Jean Slaughter Doty? The Black Stallion books?
National Velvet? A Very Young Rider? Jilly Cooper's Riders? Anything?

dghunter
Jun. 19, 2011, 11:44 PM
I mean in her defense maybe she just has very limited taste? :lol:

I loved Heartland and the Thoroughbred books. Did not care for Black Stallion books at all.

This should definitely make for some good pool reading this summer :cool:

crazyhorses
Jun. 20, 2011, 02:44 AM
I am SO glad I'm not the only adult who will walk into a library and walk out with the Thorougbred series or the Heartland series lmao My mom always gives me a hard time if she catches me reading those "baby books"!

MHM
Jun. 20, 2011, 03:52 PM
I mean in her defense maybe she just has very limited taste? :lol:

Maybe she was thinking of books set at shows, which would exclude the Black Stallion books, Black Beauty, etc. Or maybe not, who knows?

I did see her flatting a couple of her horses at a show recently. Her baby pads had a very cute monogram- a horseshoe with the New York skyline behind it. :)

InWhyCee Redux
Jun. 20, 2011, 04:19 PM
Maybe she was thinking of books set at shows, which would exclude the Black Stallion books, Black Beauty, etc. Or maybe not, who knows?

I don't see how she missed Doty's "The Monday Horses" or "The Crumb," both set on the A Circuit.

Vixenish
Jun. 20, 2011, 04:29 PM
I thought the horsey bits were accurate and fun to read, but as much as I really wanted to care about the characters, I just didn't. The 'Georgina' character was too predictably squeaky clean, the mean girl didn't really have any sympathetic traits, and the hot guy wasn't hot enough. :) I read a fair amount of young adult fiction, and I felt like this book underestimated its readers. I also agree that it could have benefitted from a more developed equine character. The best part was trying to figure out who the real life counterpart was supposed to be for each character.

This book was the equivalent of sitting around eating junk food and watching Real Housewives all weekend... entertaining but you kind of feel gross afterwards. I feel like I need to read some Steinbeck or Hemingway now to make up for it.

GingerJumper
Jun. 20, 2011, 04:30 PM
I don't see how she missed Doty's "The Monday Horses" or "The Crumb," both set on the A Circuit.

As a younger kiddo I absolutely LOVED anything by Doty. Read all of them! The Crumb was my absolute all time favorite, although Dark Horse was excellent too. (also set on the circuit).

saanengirl
Jun. 20, 2011, 04:52 PM
As a younger kiddo I absolutely LOVED anything by Doty. Read all of them! The Crumb was my absolute all time favorite, although Dark Horse was excellent too. (also set on the circuit).
I loved the Crumb too! Was Doty the author of Summer Pony and Winter Pony? Those were other books I enjoyed reading as a child, along with the Black Stallion series, Black Beauty, the Saddle Club series, the Thoroughbred series, just about everything by Marguarite Henry, and many other horse books.

MHM
Jun. 20, 2011, 05:15 PM

Well, I've never heard of either of them, and I read a lot of horse books as a kid. Maybe it's an age-gap thing.

MHM
Jun. 20, 2011, 05:18 PM
This book was the equivalent of sitting around eating junk food and watching Real Housewives all weekend... entertaining but you kind of feel gross afterwards. I feel like I need to read some Steinbeck or Hemingway now to make up for it.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

InWhyCee Redux
Jun. 20, 2011, 05:26 PM
Well, I've never heard of either of them, and I read a lot of horse books as a kid. Maybe it's an age-gap thing.

Granted, these were published in the late 70s, early 80s, so probably not on the shelves at Barnes & Noble when Georgina was growing up. But there always seemed to be copies at the library...

Carol Ames
Jun. 20, 2011, 05:38 PM
Didn't he make it to a gold medal?

I don't know that it was poverty-riddled, but I think Eric Lamaze's bio is...uh... "interesting" & he made it to GP.

forward ride
Jun. 20, 2011, 07:01 PM
I found myself in a Borders this weekend and decided to check out how many new "Thoroughbred" books had come out recently. This was the same Borders where I used to buy my Thoroughbred books in, er, high school....

I was saddened to find that there were NO Thoroughbred books in the store! Special order only! When I think how I used to start reading the book right in the store, sitting on the floor, it made me really sad :(

They did have a few copies of Georgina's book though. I didn't buy it. Though I do plan on reading it after I finish my current read: Shantaram, which is about 900 pages. So I'll need something really fast and "simple" :)

GingerJumper
Jun. 21, 2011, 09:41 AM
I loved the Crumb too! Was Doty the author of Summer Pony and Winter Pony? Those were other books I enjoyed reading as a child, along with the Black Stallion series, Black Beauty, the Saddle Club series, the Thoroughbred series, just about everything by Marguarite Henry, and many other horse books.

Sure was! Gah, I'm feeling old now. :lol:

dani0303
Jun. 21, 2011, 09:42 AM
Confession:

I may or may not have read it. I may or may not have also enjoyed it.

GingerJumper
Jun. 21, 2011, 09:47 AM
Confession:

I may or may not have read it. I may or may not have also enjoyed it.

:lol: love the "may or may not have"