PDA

View Full Version : Any sb people remember Courtney Foos?

sonomacounty
Jun. 1, 2011, 08:23 AM
Any sb people remember Courtney Foos?

I was a groom a Long (as in LONG) time ago and worked for him.

My favorite job Ever. What a wonderful, wonderful person - always tried so hard to do the right thing.

Anyone?

Tx.

brightskyfarm
Jun. 1, 2011, 04:07 PM
70's --- worked for Courtney too, yes, great job!

sonomacounty
Jun. 1, 2011, 04:40 PM
OOooo ! Sending you a pm. :)

ASB Stars
Jun. 1, 2011, 05:10 PM
I knew his daughter, Courtney, when she was a kid, and I used to ride all around the perimieter of his farm- beautiful place!

sonomacounty
Jun. 1, 2011, 06:11 PM
I bet it was ASB. He used to fly into Roosevelt to race each night by helicopter. Nice to have $, eh? Well, good, though - he did the work and he had the brain.

Now, is the farm long sold (and turned into houses or something)? I think he's in Virginia Beach now.

What is Exton, PA, like? I bet it's gorgeous? Did it get built up much in past years?

ASB Stars
Jun. 1, 2011, 06:23 PM
He was in Charlestown Township- which is beautiful country. Exton is mostly paved over- shopping centers galore- just came back from running errands there!

sonomacounty
Jun. 1, 2011, 09:32 PM
Hmm, not sure why I was thinking Exton. Is his farm gone/developed, though?

I'm on Long Island, NY. Used to be beautiful horse country, now mostly stores, malls, etc. - very sad.

ASB Stars
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:05 AM
I'm sorry- Courtney's daughter is named Erica...

brightskyfarm
Jun. 2, 2011, 12:11 PM
Yes, Erica. I was at the new farm in Phoenixville; absoultely beautiful/ grooms quarters were fantastic. I taught the kids, there were 3 at the time, but Erica was most involved, then, only a child, maybe 10? 12? Makes me think of photos I have of her learning how to jump.

Courtney's trainer at the time was David Wade. They had a falling out and although David took most of the grooms, those who thought they were staying were let go as Courtney felt it was best to start over with all new people.

Lucky for me as I then signed on with a top trainer show jumping and eventing tb's.

I always think of that experience fondly as it did expose me to an entirely different horse world -- great job, great horses.

http://tennisaddictionsportsclub.blogspot.com/2010/08/2010-courtney-foos-friends-tournament.html

wildernessD
Jun. 4, 2011, 01:28 PM
There's an article on Courtney Foos in the July 1974 USTA Hoof Beats.
The USTA still has four copies for sale in the back-issues (http://shop.ustrotting.com/july1974issue.aspx).

sonomacounty
Jun. 4, 2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks WD. I've got that one.