PDA

View Full Version : CANTER filly - opinions

ClassNTime
May. 31, 2011, 10:20 PM
Hi Guys -

Can I get some thoughts and opinions on this filly. Looking for a future hunter or jumper prospect to bring along. Anyone on here purchased a horse from this trainer before - how was it?

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3867:pretty-pretty-4-yo-grey-filly&catid=49:charlestown-trainer-listings

Thanks

KBEquine
May. 31, 2011, 11:40 PM
Yes, we purchased a filly from the trainer. If you decide to go forward with this filly, feel free to PM.

We had a decent experience with him (and still have the filly, who we purchased maybe in 2008 or so).

Reagan
Jun. 1, 2011, 09:33 AM
I think she is cute! Adorable face. A little straighter and slight through the shoulder than I would like, but go look at her! It never hurts to just look, right ;) Plus, you can't beat 1500!

Trilogy48
Jun. 1, 2011, 10:02 AM
Another vote for going to check her out, especially at that price! Looks cute to me, I agree with Reagan about her shoulder, but could be successful in the jumper ring :)

findeight
Jun. 1, 2011, 10:11 AM
Overall favorable impression, good weight, well cared for, pretty thing. But I got a blinking yellow light.

She looks awfully long in the cannons and may have something going on in her knees, does not seem to be standing square and weighting that right front heel at all in either picture.

If you specifically want to jump regularly at 3'+, it could be a problem. If it's a resale project as an H/J at 3'+ it is definately a problem. Maybe it's been the problem with her underperformance on the track even though she is "sound".

Not saying no, depends on what you want to do but this one needs a PPE. Personally this would not be something I'd throw in the trailer without one.

kookicat
Jun. 1, 2011, 10:26 AM
I agree with Findeight. Her legs were the first thing that jumped out on me. The right foot could be something simple, like a brewing abscess, or it could indicate deeper problems.

foursocks
Jun. 1, 2011, 10:41 AM
Pictures are usually not worth much for good evaluations of track horses, and that needs to be remembered. They aren't usually stood up well, nor are they used to standing for pictures! Often the angles are deceiving, etc. In the first picture her pasterns look weird, in the second one they look pretty normal, so there you go. I think in the first one she was twisting sideways as the shot was taken, which may explain the difference. The point is that it doesn't really matter what the pictures look like- you'll know if there are problems in person.

I like her build for the jumper ring- nice big shoulder (straightness is not a crime in the jumper world- often connotes nice, snappy knees), good butt, in decent weight. Go look at her and see what you think! If she has a really good walk, a good mind and her parts all seem in order I think she'd make a nice jumper prospect.

Bogie
Jun. 1, 2011, 11:22 AM
I agree with Findeight. Her legs were the first thing that jumped out on me. The right foot could be something simple, like a brewing abscess, or it could indicate deeper problems.

What I saw too. Very hard to tell from the two photos.

FWIW my CANTER horse looks NOTHING like his photo. I wouldn't have looked at him twice if I'd started there.

caffeinated
Jun. 1, 2011, 11:33 AM
For what it's worth, the horse was twisting in the first photo and it was taken about a fraction of a second before she took a step forward. Her handler kept trying to get her to put her head up (I know, I know), so almost all the pictures I got were in between fidgets (like most track pictures!).

There was no indication of a brewing abscess or trouble fully weighting the right front leg that I saw, not that that necessarily means anything, but it's my observation. I quite liked her in person.

findeight
Jun. 1, 2011, 11:34 AM
When you see similar in more then one photo though, it is a yellow light. And many do not care for the long cannons besides myself.

Just check it out before taking the plunge. Even at that price. She may be fine. Or not.

tidy rabbit
Jun. 1, 2011, 11:39 AM
Those are the longest cannon bones I think I've ever seen. At first I thought the picture must be stretched in some odd way? Maybe it is?

Event4Life
Jun. 1, 2011, 11:49 AM
I couldn't figure out what was "off" about her legs but findeight got it. I wouldn't write any horse off completely based on a few pictures though, especially OTTBs & especially because horses in "racing conditions" aren't necessarily what we want for our "pleasure" horses. Go look at her and take someone experienced with you, then get a vet check making it clear to the vet what your intentions for the horse are.

Czar
Jun. 1, 2011, 11:57 AM
Not really my cup of tea (too typey) but cute enough - good thing she's grey & not plain bay though ;)

Honestly, if she's quietish & has a nice temperament with a decent trot; I wouldn't be too concerned about the long cannons unless you want her to model or show every weekend for the next ten years. Most horses with less than ideal conformation (not major faults but different than the "ideal") will not have strenuous enough show schedules to make their deficiencies a problem. Horses that have good temperaments & aren't likely to be too hard on themselves or require a boatload of work to make them ring ready are probably going to hold up longer as well.

IF you are looking for something that will hold up for a long time on a hard show schedule; you have to look for something with closer to perfect conformation & even that is not fool proof.

Just my .02

magnolia73
Jun. 1, 2011, 12:23 PM
Maybe the tracks can hire all the out of work horse show photographers to shoot conformation shots for CANTER. Seriously, my horse looked so jacked up in her CANTER photo, not to mention ugly and mean. In reality, she is a lovely horse, a little long in the back and straight in the hind end, but perfect for her job. Good thing someone went and LOOKED at her. Getting great conformation shots is not easy, and can't imagine at a busy track with time pressed people that it is feasible to get the right shot every horse or even close to it.

Go look, you have nothing to lose and might end up with quite a find.

GingerJumper
Jun. 1, 2011, 12:31 PM
She's quite pretty, built similarly to my new guy who was sold through CANTER, although he has more slope in his shoulder.
I'd go look at her. Definitely get a PPE, but I do that on everything. The vet I used recommended front hoof and then hock xrays for an H/J prospect coming off the track, which I did. Saved some money by focusing on the key "problem areas" and still got a good idea of what his legs look like. (He had the cleanest xrays of any horse she'd ever seen, lol). I'd get this mares knees ray'd too, though.

Looks like a lovely find! Best of luck :)

Reagan
Jun. 1, 2011, 12:37 PM
When you see similar in more then one photo though, it is a yellow light. And many do not care for the long cannons besides myself.

Just check it out before taking the plunge. Even at that price. She may be fine. Or not.

I almost mentioned the long cannons too, but I'm not a great judge of confo. I don't know if maybe it is the angle of the picture?

MintHillFarm
Jun. 1, 2011, 01:21 PM
Pictures are usually not worth much for good evaluations of track horses, and that needs to be remembered. They aren't usually stood up well, nor are they used to standing for pictures! Often the angles are deceiving, etc. In the first picture her pasterns look weird, in the second one they look pretty normal, so there you go. I think in the first one she was twisting sideways as the shot was taken, which may explain the difference. The point is that it doesn't really matter what the pictures look like- you'll know if there are problems in person.

I like her build for the jumper ring- nice big shoulder (straightness is not a crime in the jumper world- often connotes nice, snappy knees), good butt, in decent weight. Go look at her and see what you think! If she has a really good walk, a good mind and her parts all seem in order I think she'd make a nice jumper prospect.

Tough to tell in photos for sure. You really need to go see her, watch her walk and jog.
I like her type too...

findeight
Jun. 1, 2011, 01:30 PM
I almost mentioned the long cannons too, but I'm not a great judge of confo. I don't know if maybe it is the angle of the picture?

Both pictures clearly show the long cannons and a hint of wonky knee.

Hey, OP asked, I answered and I did NOT say no or assume it was abcesses or anything else. I said this is what I see and to check it out.

Like I said as well, nice type overall and very well kept.

WildBlue
Jun. 1, 2011, 03:14 PM
She's cute. I like her expression. I see enough good points (if I was in the market) to go see her in person. But, then, I buy a horse based on how it moves, both individual limbs and the whole animal, and how it behaves. I've seen enough minor (and not-so-minor) conformational flaws on horses that have long careers to not take even good still pictures very seriously.

ClassNTime
Jun. 1, 2011, 10:51 PM
A HUGE THANK YOU to everyone who has chimed in... exactly what I needed to hear. Seems like every horse I have looked at is a rather long drive from us, 10-12+ hours or so! I just want to make sure that I am hauling a trailer and spending the gas on a prospect that may end up working out. Advantage for me, I work as a CVT and have horse experience in the field, so I can do my own mini PPE - and then call an expert in if something just does not look or feel right!

foursocks
Jun. 1, 2011, 11:03 PM
Have fun, good luck and let us know how it goes!

LLong
Jun. 3, 2011, 02:42 PM
I took a look at that horse 2 weeks ago or so (right after she was posted on canter). She is now at the trainers barn, but it's right down the road from the track. PM if you want to know my thoughts.