PDA

View Full Version : New Helmet On a Budget

apollosowner
May. 31, 2011, 08:55 PM
I live near Memphis, TN so the summers are burning up and I'm looking for a new helmet. I'd like something with good air flow and not very pricey. And suggestions???

Rel6
May. 31, 2011, 08:58 PM
Tipperary!

FertilizerLeaves
May. 31, 2011, 09:14 PM
What kind of budget and what's it's purpose? If it's just for schooling you can't beat Tipperary or really any of those 'plastic' helmets with vents all over. Im actually from Memphis, so I understand completely. Plus, my head sweats a lot! I just got the IRH equi lite eq. So far it's great, but it has yet to get really hot up here. However, my head is iffy, there I went to has a really wide selection and only 2 fit my head. I don't know how that's possible but anyway, it would help if we knew your budget and purpose like showing, schooling, or both.

apollosowner
May. 31, 2011, 09:24 PM
I'm showing and my budget is about $150-$180

Rel6
May. 31, 2011, 10:05 PM
I'm showing and my budget is about $150-$180

What level are you showing at? Because a black plastic helmet would be fine for schooling or C rated shows.

Rhody Ram
Jun. 1, 2011, 08:28 AM
For a schooling helmet I wear the $50 Ovation Deluxe Schooler. It's very light and cool and not ugly--at least I don't think so. http://www.hitchingposttack.com/catalog/ovation%20schooler.jpg

For showing I have a Speed Air and an AYR8. I love both but to be honest I don't feel much of a difference in ventilation. The Speed Air MIGHT be a hair cooler. If you can raise your budget a bit you should be able to get an AYR8 on ebay. I bought my first AYR8 through a tack shop in Ireland for about $180 including shipping. So ebay international or an overseas tack shop might work for you too. I would go to a tack shop and make sure you like the look and fit before ordering online.

Also, a teammate of mine had the IRH version of the AYR8 and it wasn't bad looking at all. She liked it a lot and I thought it was more attractive than the IRH version of the GR8, the XR9.

GingerJumper
Jun. 1, 2011, 08:40 AM
IRH SSV, or the Elite line if you can afford it. SO comfy... on your head and for your wallet ;)

Fairview Horse Center
Jun. 1, 2011, 08:44 AM
The lightest and coolest is definitely the Tipperary Sportage, but it is not a nice show helmet. At about $60, definitely worth it for a schooling/at home extra! :yes:

DMK
Jun. 1, 2011, 08:51 AM
actually the ovation sync looks ever bit as vented as a tipperary but would be acceptable for showing (and it's a wee bit cheaper)

driveshorses
Jun. 1, 2011, 01:13 PM
Ovation deluxe schooler, or sync. Very lightweight and cool! They don't give you the mushroom head either, and I think they'd look decent enough for open shows and such. I have the IRH Elite Xtreme, but it still can get pretty hot. And the Ovations are under $75.

barka.lounger
Jun. 1, 2011, 01:20 PM
bar.ka here

go 2 store buy styro-foam 6 pk cooler

wra.p in tin foil

add bailing twine to the yellow rope handles tie neatly in bow und.er ur chin.

there. all set. same as charle.s. owen but more stylish.

mildot
Jun. 1, 2011, 01:26 PM
Tipperary!

+1 to the Sportage

I got mine last week and while I haven't been on a horse with it yet, I've taken it on a couple of 10 mile bike rides while in the 90s (temp wise). It is VERY cool, you can even feel the wind rushing through the holes while at speed.

My other helmet is an IRH Pro Rider DFS and it is a head-baker at anything above 70 deg or so.

Rockfish
Jun. 1, 2011, 02:55 PM
IRH makes some nice, less expensive, show helmets that mirror Charles Owens' line. If you are showing anything with a USEF rating, go for a velvet finish helmet-you don't want anything that could be confused for a schooling helmet, like the Tipperary ones are.

fordtraktor
Jun. 1, 2011, 03:52 PM
IMO they are all unpleasantly hot. I would buy another CO Hampton -- comfortable, attractive and no more unpleasant than the rest from a baking perspective.

tidy rabbit
Jun. 1, 2011, 03:56 PM
I just bought an IRH Elite EQ a month ago, not all that expensive at 200 bucks. It is soooooo much cooler than my previous helmets. I rode the other day in 95* heat and still had some dry hair. Amazing.

sschuessler
Jun. 1, 2011, 03:57 PM
I school in the Aegis Helmet-- Runs cheap at around $40 but I love it dearly. As for show, I have an IRH SSV-- so so nice!!!!!!