PDA

View Full Version : Supplement advice for a nervous horse

HARROLDhasmyheart
May. 31, 2011, 08:33 PM
Hello all!
I need supplement advice. I am leasing an amazing horse this summer and am having a blast so far; however, my guy is a little bit nervous. And by a little bit I mean he is trying so hard to be good but doesn't know what to do with all of his nerves. He's usually really good to flat, but as we start jumping bigger courses the adrenaline/nerves get the best of him and we have a bit tougher of a time.

So...for those of you in my place...help! We will be showing at the end of July so whatever your suggestions are, they need to be show-legal.

He's on Perfect Prep now but to be honest, I've only noticed the tiniest bit of a difference-hardly anything. Earplugs don't really work because he determinedly shakes them out within a few minutes of putting them in.

Thank you thank you thank you!

jewll27
May. 31, 2011, 09:00 PM
I swear by Dynamite's easy boy supplement--all legal.

Limerick
May. 31, 2011, 09:08 PM
Google magnesium deficiency and see if he fits the profile. Quiessence is wonderful for such an issue.

Also, the POMMs ear stuffies shouldn't come out even with some good head shaking.

CuteArabHunter
May. 31, 2011, 10:18 PM
I have a mare with some "problems" [nerves & hormones:rolleyes::D] shal we say, so (with the advice of a BO/instructor that I trust and who also had shown A LOT in her younger years) I put her on mare magic starting like a week ago. I can tell a night-and-day difference yet, but then again I have only had her on it for a week. I think she is a bit calmer though! It says on the bag that it works for geldings too. And I'm pretty sure it's legal.:D:winkgrin::winkgrin:

Dun Ciarain
May. 31, 2011, 10:41 PM
Guy told me that Phelena was nervous jumper. You might ask Maja if they ever used anything on her.

HARROLDhasmyheart
May. 31, 2011, 11:10 PM
Guy told me that Phelena was nervous jumper. You might ask Maja if they ever used anything on her.

@Keith-good suggestion..thanks!

Also, thank you for your input everyone. I really appreciate it :).

forestergirl99
Jun. 1, 2011, 12:02 AM
I have my boy on Quiessence. I LOVEEEE it. He sounds a lot like your boy. Lives to please and wants to do everything you ask, but he's not super confident and sometimes his nerves and anxiety took over. Then whenever that happened, he just couldn't get his nerves back under control so the ride was basically over. We're talking total and complete mental breakdown here. Quiessence works perfectly. He was still alert, but he was a lot calmer and could think through his nerves. He was actually TOO calm on 2 scoops a day. He's a jumper, and he turned into an EQ horse! Lol. So I reduced him to 1 scoop, and now he's perfect!! Lots of energy and spunk. He'll occasionally get worked up over something(shows, etc), but instead of having a meltdown, a rub on the neck and some soothing words calm him right down. It's made him like to work a lot more because he enjoys it now. He thinks "FUN!!!!" instead of "Ohhhh geez! I don't knowwwww! This might be scary!!!!"

JB
Jun. 1, 2011, 07:21 AM
What's his current diet? It may be something you need to remove, it may be something you need to add.

netg
Jun. 1, 2011, 08:53 AM
What's his current diet? It may be something you need to remove, it may be something you need to add.

I was going to ask this. It seems like more often is is something needing removal or some activity change. Does the horse get sufficient turnout? Is the horse getting alfalfa or sweet feed or other high energy food that can be reduced?

Often times "nervous" is actually high energy with no outlet for that energy. It makes sense that a high energy horse would seem more "nervous" when doing something more exciting like jumping. Keep the horse forward and figuring out what works among your available options for feeding and turnout will likely help - whether you add a feed or reduce one, good luck and have fun!

Giddy-up
Jun. 1, 2011, 09:01 AM
Since the horse is a lease, have you tried speaking with the owners? Perhaps they had him on something previously?

greenwoodeq
Jun. 2, 2011, 02:24 AM
B-1 supplements (like thia-cal) and raspberry leaves... great for moody mares, but also calms my OTTBs down nicely and naturally.

JB
Jun. 2, 2011, 07:49 AM
B1 only works if the horse is deficient, same with magnesium. It's not uncommon for a horse to need regular Mg supplementation, but it's very uncommon to need to continue the B1.

Horses generally make enough B1 on their own. If they become deficient though, they may well need help to get back up to speed, then they're good on their own.

But if the diet is contributing to the deficiency, then if you don't fix the diet, you'll have to continue the supplementation. And it's not a good thing for the diet to be the cause, as it's higher sugars which can interfere with the B1 production.

Elsve
Jun. 2, 2011, 07:52 AM
Wow, thats really interesting, ill give it a go

49'er
Jun. 2, 2011, 07:55 AM
I use ShenCalm on a mare that nothing else worked on. It is pretty effective.

dudette87
Jun. 2, 2011, 02:02 PM
I swear by Dynamite's easy boy supplement--all legal.
i second this