View Full Version : Should I get a 2H trailer?

May. 31, 2011, 07:08 PM
I was wanting an enclosed trailer, and came across 2 threads on here about how useful 2 horse trailers can be for moving furniture and much more. Looking at used trailers, the 2H seem to cost less or about the same. However many I see have the divider down the center. Some don't? I saw users here saying they moved a riding mower or other wide stuff in theirs, so they must not have the divider bar near the loading doors.

Also people wrote about storing things for months in their 2H. They must have the type that are fully enclosed or almost fully enclosed, with windows that slide open but can be kept shut? It would be tougher to find a used one with this (plus no divider bar). I would love to have one that's great for horses but could keep hauled goods dry in the rain, or mostly dry. But I can't spend that much.

Would a 3H give me a lot more room for a riding mower? Would it lower my MPG much to have the bigger 3H? I don't own the mower yet, so I don't know the size I need, but I really need a trailer to haul other stuff, and I'm wishing it could move the mower too. I'm leaning toward a zero turn that's compact. If the 2H could do everything but not move the mower, that may be my best option. I figure that a regular enclosed trailer would move everything except horses, LOL.

May. 31, 2011, 07:18 PM
Look at the 2-horse trailers with removable divider. This would allow you to use it for the other things you listed.

The 3 horse trailers I see are generally slant-loads. I am admittedly not a big fan of them for horses. And unless you get the kind with a completely removable tack compartment (left rear door), you can only put things in it that fit through the right side of the rear door -- in other words the mower may not fit.

Have you considered a stock trailer? They're less expensive and generally don't have a divider up the middle. Some have optional plexi inserts for in the openings, making it pretty weatherproof. Stock trailers come in a variety of lengths so if you're worried the 2-horse won't be quite big enough, you can go longer. You'll just need one with a ramp or you'll need to get portable ramps you can put on it for loading the mower. I <3 the stock trailer I use.

What lowers your MPG is weight and aerodynamics. Some trailers simply weigh a lot more than others due to materials & design. But if you're only looking to take a mower in for service or move boxes across town, I wouldn't make MPG a #1 concern. You probably know this but you do want to look at the max tow capacity of your vehicle and keep that in mind when shopping.

May. 31, 2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks! That's very helpful. I had not looked at stock trailers at all.

May. 31, 2011, 07:26 PM
Mine has the rear center bar which pops out with a couple of pins. It's necessary for the butt bars on each side to have it, but the owners before stripped out all interior dividing pieces and just used it like a stock trailer for their mare + foal. I yank everything out when I get loads of hay, otherwise I always end up clipping my shoulders on it as I squeeze through with a bale!

May. 31, 2011, 07:29 PM
Okay, so maybe most of them pop out, unless they are really old.

May. 31, 2011, 07:32 PM
I can take everything out of my Hawk, and do when i have a horse that needs that situation. I ordered a heavy-duty latch for the walk-out exit door and rubber padding all around so I could use it without worries of a misplaced kick causing a nightmare.

I do put a rubber mat over the hole left behind for the center bar, I don't think a horse could put a hoof in it but a foal or weanling might.

But I echo the suggestions for a stock trailer if you don't intend on using it, though I would go bigger if you go stock -- a 2H stock trailer is too small to actually haul 2 horses IMO unless you have really good haulers who aren't going to come out the back on you while you load the other one (if you load straight) or while you close the door (if you load them like a slant).

May. 31, 2011, 07:39 PM
Who would've thought a 2 horse trailer isn't enough for 2 :)

I would probably get one of the smallest stock trailers if I got one, but that would be nice to fit 2 or 3 horses at once.

But I probably can't afford that size.

Jun. 1, 2011, 10:39 PM
I have had a two horse Cotner and a two horse Trail-et. Both were straight load with a center divider. On the newer Trail-et the whole interior comes out with a couple of pins. I have moved most of the contents of a small apartment in the Trail-et, riding mower, fire wood, baby grand piano, regular piano, round bales of hay. I didn't have to remove the center divider for the riding mower, just swung it to the side.
A friend of mine used to have a Valley 2 horse "stock" trailer. It had the open slat sides but it was more like a 2 horse straight load with a ramp. You could load and unload the horses separately. The center divider could be easily removed for hauling things. Because it was a "stock" trailer it was less expensive.
None of these trailers have had mangers, all had ramps. None had the separate back doors that then give you the solid non-removable bar in the center.
What area of the country are you in? Trailers seem to heavily vary depending on what region of the country.

Jun. 2, 2011, 08:42 AM
Most have center dividers that come out. The size of stock trailers vary widely and there is a difference between a true "stock" trailer and a horse trailer with stock sides. Mine is the latter, definitely room for 2 horses -- you could even cram a mini up front if you had to, LOL.

Jun. 2, 2011, 08:57 AM
My 1st Hartman trailer stored out lawn tractor and push mower as well as the gas can sat under it out of the rain.
We eventually bought a storage shed.

My second trailer moved our daughter to and from college all 4 years.

My 3rd trailer housed all my new appliances bought when we moved to the farm. I got a good sale deal but they were cash n carry. So we put the washer n dryer stove fridge and dishwasher in trailer and kept them there until moving/installment.
Then trailer hauled back n forth 8 horses to new home.

We have put new furniture in them, hay, straw, grain, lumber, nursery stock when we landscaped,mulch,our JD Gator arrived in it, and we transport to the JD dealer for yearly servicing the Gator and Garden tractor.

This fall my Hawke will trek to Ky for a "Longest Yard Sale" trip. My sister has a re-sale shop and we fill it up on buying trips.

Jun. 2, 2011, 09:50 AM
Should I get a 2H trailer?

Yes - it will be the most useful piece of equipment that you own.
(Make sure it has removable dividers and a ramp)

Jun. 2, 2011, 03:57 PM
I have a two horse slant load, and the center divider just locks against the left wall so it's all open and ready to haul whatever you want. I opted to keep the rear tack folded and locked against the wall, too, since I don't like them and never use it. I've moved both of my kids to and from college with my horse trailer, as well as hauled hay and a snowblower and even a piano one time. I have a neighbor that uses hers every year for her spring gardening...goes to the nursery and loads it up with annual color and does it all in one trip.

Sometimes I think I use it more for everything other than my horses!

Jun. 2, 2011, 04:12 PM
You are all making me want it more and more. Only problem is the money. Sadly, I may have to get a small cheap regular trailer first and wait. Maybe I will get lucky and be able to trade. Thanks.