PDA

View Full Version : For the horseless-a wide tree?

Cacique
May. 31, 2011, 05:16 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have a butet with a regular tree right now but i need a different flap. I don't have a horse currently, but I am a fairly tall rider (about 5'9/5'10) and usually ride horses upwards of 16.2 hh. I have found several saddles that might be perfect, except they have wide trees. How wide is a wide tree butet saddle? Could I pad it up for the occasions when I have to ride a smaller horse? This is the way the Tad Coffins work, does it work with other saddles too? Sorry if this is a silly question.

Thanks!

Rel6
May. 31, 2011, 05:57 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have a butet with a regular tree right now but i need a different flap. I don't have a horse currently, but I am a fairly tall rider (about 5'9/5'10) and usually ride horses upwards of 16.2 hh. I have found several saddles that might be perfect, except they have wide trees. How wide is a wide tree butet saddle? Could I pad it up for the occasions when I have to ride a smaller horse? This is the way the Tad Coffins work, does it work with other saddles too? Sorry if this is a silly question.

Thanks!

Tree width has very little to do with how many hands the horse is, but more with their withers, back, and how they are built. Your saddle could fit certain ponies better than certain horses. I'm currently horseless too and am riding a lot of big sales horses (think 17+)...but also a few ponies and 15handers. If you don't have a horse, go with what fits you the best. Your saddle isn't going to fit everything perfectly, but with the use of withers pads (for a wide saddle they work really well) you can make the horse comfortable for your ride.

By the way, I'm perpetually horseless. My old saddle had a wide tree and my current one has a regular tree. The only different is that where some horses needed wither pads, I now use a fleeceworks pad or a risor pad.

Cacique
Jun. 1, 2011, 10:45 PM
Thank you!
Just a bump in case anyone has any other opinions or things to add, especially specific to the butets.

Thanks again!

TrakeGirl
Jun. 2, 2011, 07:27 AM
I was just thinking that the medium tree Butet ran on the narrow side of things. Now I haven't tried the FB2 medium tree, just the regular.

The Butet wide might be more like other brands medium. I would think you could fit more horses with the Butet wide than the Butet medium. Especially with an assortment of pads.

JB
Jun. 2, 2011, 07:43 AM
Wide IS the way to go if you want to fit more horses. Proper padding can make it fit pretty well in many cases.

But shoulder width is just part of it - if the whole shape of the tree is wrong for a given horse, it doesn't matter what the tree width is.

Even then, the wide on a Butet is really not that wide. IME and IMHO, more horses should be in the wide than the medium - FAR too many horses are going around in saddles too narrow for them, all in the name of "but it needs to clear his withers" :no:

Make sure you understand how to use shims to properly fill in around the withers when the saddle really is too wide :)

Petstorejunkie
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:04 AM
Wide IS the way to go if you want to fit more horses. Proper padding can make it fit pretty well in many cases.

mmmm, I'm going to go with it depends on what kinds of horses you are riding. 16.2+ doesnt tell much. If that's tall TB's you'll want regular, and if it's tall WB's or QH's you'll want to go with wide. (generally speaking in the grand scheme of things)

KitKat987
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:21 AM
mmmm, I'm going to go with it depends on what kinds of horses you are riding. 16.2+ doesnt tell much. If that's tall TB's you'll want regular, and if it's tall WB's or QH's you'll want to go with wide. (generally speaking in the grand scheme of things)

I don't know, I have a 16.2 QH, with absolutely crazy wide shoulders like Hulk Hogan and wide saddles couldn't fit him worse if they tried.

JB
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:33 AM
Like I said, it all has to do with the shape of the horse compared to the shape of the saddle, and size has nothing to do with it.

I had a 16.2 TB who absolutely needed a wide saddle - thankfully just an off-the-shelf wide, but wide nonetheless. I've seen FAR too many TBs ridden in regular/medium trees because that's what the riders and sadly the trainers thought was needed to clear the withers.

My 16.1 TB mare, a lean, stereotypical-looking TB, cob-sized halter/bridle, nicely wears a *wide* Vega Jump (don't have that saddle, just gives some perspective). She wears a #4 County Warmblood saddle, which is probably comparable to a 34cm Prestige which is at or a little wider than many typical "wide" trees out there.

Many, many tall WBs need wider than the typical wide tree. Heck, a WB doesn't even have to be that tall. My WB isn't all that wide in the grand scheme of 17h WBs, but he needs a 39cm Prestige, and no off-the-shelf wide of most brands are anywhere NEAR being that wide.

mvp
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:44 AM
All things being equal, yes, buy a wide tree. There is more you can fix there than with a tree that's too narrow.

If you'd like this saddle to fit many horses, I also suggest you get one whose tree and panels are a pretty conventional shape. You might find the Beval's FB2-- It comes in Wide (not wide by other saddlers' standards) but has slightly deeper panels. A TC will be wide enough but those saddles are designed to fit quite close to the horse's back. There's not a whole lot of room for pointy withers there. You might put a very "tried and true" design like a Pessoa on some of the horses you ride and see if it fits the variety.

I usually own two saddles-- one that's on the wide side of "narrow" (that being something like a Beval or Crosby Medium), and a Wide but not "stupid wide" saddle. I'm short, so that means I always have a saddle I'll like and I can usually make one of them fit most horses. Finding two used saddles like this might work out well for you.