PDA

View Full Version : Potholes in gravel roads

JackSprats Mom
May. 31, 2011, 03:58 PM
So I have a 1/3 of a mile gravel road leading up to my house/barn.

Not having dealt with this before we have some major potholes in the road (VERY wet winter). I have filled them with 5/8's minus and tried to pack it down but they keep reappearing within a few weeks.

So how do I get rid of them :confused:

Equibrit
May. 31, 2011, 04:05 PM
You have to loosen up the whole driveway and grade it out again. The stuff you put in the holes gets pushed out again because the surrounding stuff is packed. You have to unpack the whole lot, grade it and then repack it.

goodhors
Jun. 1, 2011, 12:41 AM
A couple friends with very long driveways bought the DR Equipment graders and have had all good reports to us about how improved the their driveways are now.

http://www.drpower.com/power-grader.aspx

They had heard of the DR Graders from other friends, easy to use, did a good job fixing potholes, so they each purchased one. With extremely long driveways, having them full of potholes can be expensive on your vehicle maintenance, slows you down going in or out, will make a bad loader out of your horse getting a terrible ride in the trailer.

They say the DR grader is easy to run on a weekend, keeps the surfaces in good shape, smooths out the lumps and holes quickly on just one pass. Easier than running the blade on the tractor down the driveway, leaves a better surface and less work needed.

Might be worth going to see one in action, or have them come demo one at your house, to decide if it would work for you.

Mosey_2003
Jun. 1, 2011, 11:03 AM
This is funny, what was it, a month ago that someone wanted to know how to ADD potholes/bumps to slow people down on the driveway? :lol: Yes, you need to grade it or the rock just comes back out. I would start calling around and see if anyone around has one that can come and do it, or even is friendly with the local Township road people, oftentimes if you grease the wheels right they can be persuaded to make a detour down a driveway if they're in the area with the grader.
If push comes to shove you *can* do it with the bucket of a larger tractor after a very heavy rain, but it's nowhere near as nice.

Romany
Jun. 1, 2011, 04:22 PM
A box scraper also does a pretty good job, but that DR grader does look way more fun. :cool:

JackSprats Mom
Jun. 8, 2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks so much guys...the holes are pretty deep so looks like alot of grading :( We have a large backhoe at the moment so maybe that can do it.

jawa
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:09 PM
As you are grading your driveway, make sure that you allow for a crown or slope to the drive, so that when it rains again the water will get off the drive . If the drive way drains correctly your grading work will last longer.

deltawave
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:11 PM
A box blade will work fine. You can rent them.

judybigredpony
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:35 PM
Box Blade or in a pinch we have the skid loader w/ blade scrape whole drive, break down center crown and usually the holes level out.
Where we keep getting them in same place year after year we have checked for run off to divert water from pooling and in some cases dug the hole out and rebuilt it w/ new base.

alabama
Jun. 8, 2011, 04:55 PM
A box scraper also does a pretty good job, but that DR grader does look way more fun. :cool:
And you can use it in the arena! :D

JoeBCarter
Jun. 22, 2011, 12:18 AM
A box blade will work fine. You can rent them.

Excellent advice. We've used them, and they're thoroughly adequate.