View Full Version : Horse Trailer Sale Contract

May. 31, 2011, 03:04 PM
I need to sell my horse trailer and I am having a hard time finding a sample sale contract. What should I put in it to protect myself and the buyer?

May. 31, 2011, 03:13 PM
I just put on the receipt "sold as is" and note the date sold and price paid between the 2 parties.

May. 31, 2011, 07:10 PM
Look up car or boat sales contracts and make minor changes?

May. 31, 2011, 08:29 PM
a car sales contract is probably close enough

I like to put at top something that makes it clear this is a contract, such as "VEHICLE SALES AGREEMENT"

Make sure you describe what you're selling (year, make, model, vin) and selling price.

Make sure both parties have their names printed legibly, signed, and dated. I would get him to put his address also on your copy of the sales agreement, just in case you need to reach him for something.

Unless you're offering to do repairs on it, I'd be sure to put something in there "sold as-is, no warranties expressed or implied." If it's a real fix-it project you may also want to make it clear in writing something like "trailer not guaranteed to pass state inspection or be road worthy. Trailer will be removed at Buyer's expense." You don't want there to be any misunderstanding about the condition of the trailer. And if he tries to tow a parts trailer and goes off a cliff 5 miles down the road because he thought you said it was safe to tow, you don't want to be responsible.

If buyer isn't picking it up the same day, you probably want ti put a limit on how long you'll store it: "Vehicle will be removed within (7) seven days or buyer will be charged a $5.00 per day storage fee. If vehicle not removed within 30 days, it will be towed away at Buyer's expense". It's strange what some people think is ok after they buy something. I don't mind being nice... but if you don't spell it out in writing, the buyer could have something come up and not come back in a timely manner.

I've sold enough cars & trailers over the years, and what I learned was to plan for all contingencies.

And this may sound obvious, but KEEP a copy of sales contract for at least the next few years. Once I sold an old 1970s VW bug to my parents' neighbor. He seemed happy with it and we'd sometimes see him zooming through town in it. Almost a year later, I got an impound letter from the State telling me I owed a few hundred dollars and my VW was in XYZ impound lot. Turns out the guy never transferred the title. He was just driving it around town - no idea where he got the plates. One day he did something wrong and it got towed. And without that bill of sale, I would've been in a mess with the State trying to prove it wasn't me who did whatever-it-was.

Then there was the time I sold my commuter car, an old but reliable Jetta, to a young guy. He was happy. But I swear I saw that very same car a month later abandoned on I-95 - facing the WRONG WAY on the shoulder....?

Speaking of sellers who say a vehicle is safe to get home or to a mechanic: don't ever guarantee this in writing. Back in my old college days I bought a '80 VW Vanagon that was sold as "runs good". I planned to get it home, then I'd make an appt with a mechanic to check it out. I was maybe 10 miles from the used car lot when my friend flagged me to pull over -- my van was on FIRE. Nobody got hurt. But by the time the fire truck arrived it was a burnt steel shell with a shiny silver puddle where the aluminum engine used to be. That dealer made things right and ended up giving me a different used car for almost nothing. So it's important to make it clear with no misunderstandings if you're selling a vehicle in great shape or a vehicle that's as-is & may need fix-up before going far. Oh, and I also learned that if your newly purchased vehicle does catch fire, be sure to grab the sales paperwork as you escape from the inferno. Oh, and that burning vehicles don't explode in noisy fireballs like they do on TV.

Jun. 1, 2011, 11:04 AM
Your car was on fire?! That is really freaky!

Thanks for all the help, I feel more confident about selling now.:)

Jun. 4, 2011, 01:38 PM
Download a bill of sale from your local DMV.

Simply add: "Sold as is, where is. Buyer is responsible for any and all damages or defects from the moment money/keys transfers hands."

Make sure YOU send in the transfer of ownership and get a copy of the new owner's insurance!