View Full Version : Adding Spanish tops to boots??

May. 31, 2011, 02:29 PM
Just found a steal of a deal on a pair of Devon Aire L'Cord field boots.....they are pull-ons that fit me like a glove (miraculous considering my cankles). BUT--they do not have the higher-cut top. Would a good leather repair/shoe repair person be able to add a spanish top to them?

May. 31, 2011, 02:37 PM
I don't think it would work and still look like a single boot. Hunt people who have earned their colors can have brown tops.

I think by time you spent the money, you'd have a weird looking boot and could have used the same amount of total cash to buy a boot from SmartPak or Dover

take a look at the treadsteps or the donotellos or the mountain horse ones

May. 31, 2011, 03:11 PM
I also tried on the MH Venice boots and they were lovely--that's what I would get for clinics/local shows. The Devon Aires would be great for schooling; just not a fan of the "old" style top.

May. 31, 2011, 03:16 PM
No. I have a pair that has "hunt" style tops added in black leather. They were 'in' in the jumper ring for half a second quite a few years back. IMHO, they don't look normal and I wouldn't do it.

May. 31, 2011, 04:38 PM
If they're just for schooling, it doesn't matter what they look like, right? So go ahead and add tops, but do something crazy -- like colored or patterned leather -- so it doesn't look like you were trying to match them and failed. If they're just for schooling, make them fun and personalized.

I agree that it wouldn't look right for a show boot if you tried to match them, but if you go for something non-matching I don't see what the trouble would be...

Rhody Ram
May. 31, 2011, 06:30 PM
I have a half inch of patent leather on the top of my la mundials- I get a lot of compliments on it. Maybe something like that?

Jun. 1, 2011, 04:44 PM
i added patent tops to an old pair of boots that was too short for me, and they look pretty nice now :)

Jun. 2, 2011, 08:44 AM
Yep I'd go with patent. Then it can be a fashion statement and not just an alteration!