PDA

View Full Version : Grand Prix Soft Shell Hunter Coat

southern
May. 31, 2011, 01:27 PM
I was just wondering if anyone had this coat and if so, what you thought of it. Specifically wondering if it is cooler than a regular hunt coat. With the heat we are experiencing right now, I am seriously considering spending the money to get one if they are significantly cooler than a regular coat.

Also, how does the sizing run compared to regular Grand Prix jackets.

Thanks!

PNWjumper
May. 31, 2011, 02:13 PM
It depends on what coat you're comparing it to.

I wore 4 different coats at my show last week. A very lightweight Grand Prix wool coat on day 1, a mid-weight Grand Prix hunt coat on day 2, another mid-weight on day 3, and then my softshell coat for the last 2 days.

My softshell coat is about comparable temp-wise to my super lightweight wool coat (but it's a tough comparison because color comes into play with my lightweight wool being the very, very pale blue here: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2348374940094686761SOrfIB and my softshell being black). But it's definitely cooler/more breathable than my other two hunt coats.

Of course you have to take what I say with a grain of salt. I can't actually remember why people would want a "cooler" hunt coat since we haven't had any sort of "heat" around here in the last year or so. I've been using my softshell coat as my "rain coat" rather than as any sort of a hot/cold regulator :lol:

And I can't address sizing at the moment, though I'll take a look later tonight if no one else has responded (PM me if I forget). I'm getting ready to order another softshell coat and I need to look at the tag on the one I already have, but it's in the back of the car my husband's driving today and I can't call him to ask since he doesn't need to know that I'm ordering yet another coat :D

Across Sicily
May. 31, 2011, 03:59 PM
I have one, but I haven't yet gotten the opportunity to show with it. I do plan to show in it next week. I purchased for the sole reason of the coat's touted breathability.

The sizing I can give you a little bit of an idea of... they do say it runs small, but I found the opposite to be true. I ordered one size up from where my "normal" Grand Prix jacket size should have been (to be fair I've never actually owned one, but this was the suggestion I got) and it was like putting on a small parachute. Unfortunately they were very much back-ordered the next two sizes down so I took it to a reputable tailor and after he spent lots of time clucking over it and cursing lightly said he had to take it down about two to two and a half sizes. Eeek.

Anyplace Farm
Jun. 1, 2011, 11:13 AM
I don't have a soft shell hunt coat, although I think they look neat and would be fantastic in rainy weather. But what I have found, in terms of sizing - I have a few suits that are made of stretch fabric, one a Donna Karan, the other a Vertigo (Paris) and it seems after stretch fabric clothing goes to the cleaners a few times, they really shrink. Granted, they are a stretch fabric so stretch out somewhat again but those suits and other stretch fabric slacks I have have all snugged up on me and I'm not a big weight gainer at a size 4.

PNWjumper
Jun. 1, 2011, 02:53 PM
Size-wise, I wear a 14slim in regular Grand Prix coats. My softshell is a 14R and has plenty of room. So I'm not sure I would say that it fits any differently than the regular fabric coats.

But I also haven't sent mine out to be drycleaned yet, so I can't say whether it will shrink any once I finally do. The thing is that I can wipe it off with a wet washcloth and it comes out looking brand new, so I haven't needed to send it out to be cleaned.

ExJumper
Jun. 1, 2011, 03:15 PM
I thought the point was that they were washable? I don't think I'd buy a softshell jacket if it weren't washable...

PNWjumper
Jun. 1, 2011, 09:51 PM
I thought the point was that they were washable? I don't think I'd buy a softshell jacket if it weren't washable...

Some of them are washable and some of them are not. I got mine a while ago when they still weren't available in most tack shops, and wasn't picky about what I got (I couldn't be since the tack shop only had two demo coats in house...one hunter and one jumper and the jumper one just happened to fit).

It's still water resistant and wrinkle-proof, and as such is MUCH nicer than my wool coats. But you can bet that my next soft shell coats will be the washable ones. I'm not sure what the difference is.....looks and feels like the same material and I'm wondering if it's because of the lining???

Anyplace Farm
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:59 AM
OMG I love your signature.... :lol:

RumoursFollow
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:21 AM
I tried one on in IL that had a price rag of $999.99. AND it was dry clean only. So what's the point? And are people really paying $1000 for them? I was so stunned when I saw that price tag I took a picture of it and was texting people. I'm not sure what brand it was, but it was not GPA.

Rival
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:29 AM
I'm excited to try one because according to farmhouse you can special order them in an "endowed" fit. Finally a jacket for those of us with a bust!

ExJumper
Jun. 2, 2011, 11:31 AM
I'm excited to try one because according to farmhouse you can special order them in an "endowed" fit. Finally a jacket for those of us with a bust!

I have a regular Grand Prix in an "endowed" fit. I love it!

Westglen Farm
Jun. 2, 2011, 01:20 PM
I have a GP soft shell coat and like it. I have found that in the heat it does keep me cooler. Mine is not washable.

Elementgrl2
Jun. 2, 2011, 07:10 PM
Go to Grand prixs facebook page to win a soft shell jacket. Just saw the post today