PDA

View Full Version : Body clipping summer coats

see u at x
May. 31, 2011, 12:34 PM
The trainer at my barn insists on body clipping his clients' horses even though they have all shedded out their summer coats. I'm not one of his clients, but my friend is, and for various reasons, she is riding one of my horses on an almost daily basis. He mentioned to her the other day that he wants her to body clip my horse. She told him that I'd flip out if she did that without my permission, and she's pretty much right. I guess I don't see the point of body clipping a horse who already has a nice, shiny, summer coat.

Maybe I'm in la-la land, but I've never heard of anyone body clipping on a regular basis during the summer months unless the horse has excessive body hair like with Cushings or something. Is this practice normal with show horses? Am I doing my horse a disservice by NOT allowing him to be clipped? Just curious as to what thoughts you all have on this, because it is all foreign to me as I've only seen people clip in the fall/winter, even with their nice show horses.

HGem
May. 31, 2011, 12:59 PM
I clip in the spring because I have a mostly white horse. And if she grows a bunch of hair and gets stains I will clip again early fall. But I try to let her grow a full winter coat because we try to keep them out as much as possible. So I'd say if your horse has already shedded out then there is absolutely no reason to clip him. Obviously you can if you want. As far as I know there is no real advantage to clipping them in the summer.

I'm guessing the trainer charges for clipping...perhaps that is his obsession?

ExJumper
May. 31, 2011, 01:03 PM
I clip my guy throughout the summer, as do many other show horses and ponies. He is naturally quite thick coated, even in the summer, as are many ponies.

Some people DO regularly clip their show horses throughout the summer, even if they have a normal weight coat. It's a personal choice, and horses with clipped summer coats can still have beautiful healthy shiny coats.

REH
May. 31, 2011, 01:11 PM
I'm one of those people who over the years has been internally outraged and externally slightly irritated when people clipped my horses in the summer without permission. Now, after looking at them at home covered in sweat-soaked "summer" coats this week, I wish they were all in someone's care who would clip them without my permission.:lol:

I still recall the year he got clipped right before Devon and how upset I was because i thought he wouldn't have his nice shiny summer coat for Devon.

This is what it ended up looking like:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3W09lvR2Ru7Ng1ECIsLm5g?feat=directlink and I realized I was worrying for nothing.

Sure, it wasn't the exact same color as his normal summer coat, but (1) this is the only picture I have of him where people consistently comment on how super shiny he is (pardon the color being slightly off from bad scan); and (2) his neck isn't drenched in sweaty hair that he would have had even with his summer coat.

I fully support clipping summer coats. Does anyone want to come clip mine before hot-as-hell-Upperville next week? Pretty please :winkgrin:

Big Day
May. 31, 2011, 02:16 PM
No REH, not going to clip your giant horse for Upperville, as I just happily conned someone into clipping my giant guy for me. :lol: He was miserable, sweating all the time even when he was just standing in his stall. Now he's cool, ugly as h*ll, and I will get over it...

mroades
May. 31, 2011, 02:51 PM
yep, we clip year round

see u at x
May. 31, 2011, 03:48 PM
Thank you for the responses! It's certainly something to think about and I'm glad that he should still remain shiny even if I take the plunge and clip him. My only other concern is that with his coloring, he won't look as golden. I know, I know...that's stupid, but he was a very pale buckskin last year when I got him, and this summer he has shedded out to be quite a bit darker than he was last summer/fall. Not as dark as my mare is, but definitely darker than he was, which was a most pleasant surprise.

REH, as usual, you posted a pic of a stunning horse. I will be thrilled if my horse ever ends up looking half that good. :) Best of luck at Upperville next week!

Across Sicily
May. 31, 2011, 03:49 PM
We clip in summer... keeps them cooler, keeps their coats looking a little nicer, too. I like it. Easier to care for the horse and they are happier.

I'dRatherBRiding
May. 31, 2011, 04:55 PM
My trainer made me do it one year before she shipped me & my horse off to show with Frank Madden. The horse tended to sweat a lot, and I guess she wanted us to look our best. It didn't really cut back the sweating much, but honestly I don't think anyone could really tell the difference between his clipped coat and his usual un-clipped coat so it was a wash.

fordtraktor
May. 31, 2011, 07:52 PM
Somehow I ended up with 2 black horses that look like mice when clipped. No way would I clip them any more than I have to! Some horses look decidedly worse clipped.

My bay would look fine but his coat is so short there is no need. If I had a grey I would be all over summer clipping, anything to make the stains go away easier.

Pennywell Bay
May. 31, 2011, 07:56 PM
I clip the ponies but not my horses. My horses' coats are slick and the year I clipped one for Upoerville, it did not make a difference for us as to sweating but ours don't get the thick WB coat .