PDA

View Full Version : Where to advertise race broodmare?

NaturalSelection
May. 31, 2011, 12:29 PM
I am an experienced amateur event rider and I have retrained several off-track TBs for eventing/jumping competitions. I purchased a 2005 16.1H TB mare "All That Bling" in February 2011 from a semi-neglect situation (horse was skinny, wormy, no farrier care, etc.) as an eventing prospect. I wormed her, put weight on her, trimmed hooves, floated teeth and started her back undersaddle. Unfortunately she is not sound for consistent riding work and not really suitable as an eventer.

While I am not particularly knowledgable about race pedigrees, I am hopeful that in addition to being a beautiful grey mare with decent conformation and hooves she may have desirable breeding. Bling is by Exploit ($300k) out of Diamond Affair ($100k) by Black Tie Affair ($3.37M). I believe Bling started once as a 2-yr old and she had a 2009 colt that is starting race training this year. I don't have a lot of background on this mare because I bought her from a gal who bought her from a dispersal sale. I do have Bling's JC papers.

I'm in the Twin Cities, MN and I don't really have any racehorse contacts. Where should I advertise a race broodmare? How much is this mare worth?

furlong47
May. 31, 2011, 01:02 PM
She raced twice, once at 2 and once at 3.

Oaklawn Park 2/08/08 Race 6 (finished 11th of 12)
Canterbury Park 6/09/07 Race 2 (finished 6th of 7)

The 2009 colt is named Ideal Asscher Cut by Bright Launch

NaturalSelection
May. 31, 2011, 01:11 PM
Furlong47 - thank you so much for the additional information, I really appreciate that!

Laurierace
May. 31, 2011, 01:14 PM
She has little to no value as a race broodmare. I definitely would look for a different alternative.

SwtVixen
May. 31, 2011, 01:29 PM
Shes also a grand of Storm Cat and many wont touch that. I agree with Laurierace that maybe a home with light riding, 4h, lessons for pony club -- you can write her off on your taxes.

danceronice
May. 31, 2011, 03:01 PM
She has some interesting names from a historic perspective and the lack of inbreeding is always nice, but her dam never raced in really good company and her sire's nothing of interest (exported to Korea) plus he's a Storm Cat and they're a dime a dozen. For sales-breeding purposes, not a desirable mare. For someone with a dinky operation who wanted a clean pedigree and wasn't scared of the Storm Cat, maybe, but you'd need the right buyer. And she'd have to be REALLY good looking and that soundness issue would need to be something not related to confo or genetics. Bad bet.

propspony
May. 31, 2011, 03:58 PM
Wind-n-wood farm is located in St. Michael, MN. They'd probably be able to give you some advice as to the market in the twin cities area. They're super nice people too. (that's where my mare came from. :-) )

http://www.allbreedfoaling.com/

Pronzini
May. 31, 2011, 09:46 PM
Here's her page

http://apps.keeneland.com/sales/Jan11/pdfs/1792.pdf

NaturalSelection
May. 31, 2011, 10:49 PM
Thanks for all the information. I'm curious (I don't have a race background and I'm not knowledgeable about breeding), is the mare's pedigree the problem or her race record? What if she had been a winner on the track, would her breeding still be undesirable?

Thanks for all the advice and information. The story I heard was that the mare had been consigned to a Keenland sale, but the original owners decided not to send her down - maybe they knew she wasn't valuable as a race broodmare?

Hunter's Rest
Jun. 1, 2011, 06:23 AM
The market is such that I am currently helping GIVE AWAY 15 (FIFTEEN) perfectly lovely New York broodmares, all with much better pedigrees, far more successful race records, who have all had a few foals, many to win several races already, and all of them IN FOAL to a nice young stallion.
*Selling* a modest mare in this economy?
Not a chance.
Selling a modest mare in any economy?
Not a chance.
Try sport horse programs.

LaurieB
Jun. 1, 2011, 09:23 AM
Thanks for all the information. I'm curious (I don't have a race background and I'm not knowledgeable about breeding), is the mare's pedigree the problem or her race record? What if she had been a winner on the track, would her breeding still be undesirable?

The mare's pedigree isn't bad. It's just that it's not good enough to make anyone pay money for her now, when so many mares are looking for homes. Her race record doesn't help but even if she had been a winner that wouldn't be enough to make her desirable.

Which is not to say that she couldn't produce good race babies for someone. But you'd have to find just the right person who was willing to give her a chance and even then it's unlikely that they'd want to pay much, if anything, for her.

The problem is that the costs of keeping TB broodmares are so high that most breeders simply can't afford to sink all that (upkeep) money into a mare whose chances of succeeding at the job seem marginal.

danceronice
Jun. 1, 2011, 12:56 PM
Exactly. You can get a lot nicer for cheaper, and more fashionable if you're breeding foals for sales. There's nothing there that's super-rare or super-valuable, she's not a performer herself.

Again, if you found the RIGHT owner who was breeding to race and had the money and flexibilty to take a shot on a mare whose record isn't much to speak of, she might get good race babies, crossed on the right stallions. Even then you're not talking even high four figures for her, let alone in the fives.