PDA

View Full Version : Riding Critique

Stellar_moves
May. 30, 2011, 08:56 PM
Here are some videos of my lesson from a week or two ago. I did a working hunter no stirrups course, and an equitation with stirrups that I will post later. As you can hear from the videos, I don't get feedback in my lessons so I figured I'd ask the professionals on COTH! Any critique, constructive criticism, exercises would be greatly appreciated! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbgzommcPg8&feature=channel_video_title

AliCat
May. 30, 2011, 09:23 PM
I'm sorry, that video bounces around too much to really give any sort of feedback.

CBoylen
May. 30, 2011, 09:31 PM
I don't get feedback in my lessons
So why do you take them?

enjoytheride
May. 30, 2011, 09:41 PM
I thought you had a QH trainer? I don't understand if you don't get any instruction why you're taking lessons. Also, the fences look much smaller then 2 9 but I think your equitation is good, but I'd like to see more forward from your horse.

findeight
May. 30, 2011, 09:42 PM
Your trainer is probably the best one to ask instead of whoever happens to be on here that may or may not be qualified to advise you. That should be what you are paying for.

I couldn't get much out of the video, it's a nice portrait shot for about 30 seconds of a young lady laughing at the camera and alot of shots of the ground. The rest is really jerky and you are too dark against your dark horse to tell anything other then he is wringing his tail alot.

Stellar_moves
May. 30, 2011, 09:54 PM
I thought you had a QH trainer? I don't understand if you don't get any instruction why you're taking lessons. Also, the fences look much smaller then 2 9 but I think your equitation is good, but I'd like to see more forward from your horse.

I do, and I take the free lessons that I get with the board. I'm looking into a new trainer, but there are none that live close by :( I also made sure I put them up to 2'9 or 3'. Oh and I'm working on getting him to be a little more forward and energetic to the jumps.. I haven't been using spurs but I put them on today when I rode and it helped a good amount.

And I'm sorry for the horrible video taping... The girl I got to tape me isnt very good at all.

SquishTheBunny
May. 30, 2011, 11:09 PM
And that was supposed to be a lesson? Was that your coach talking to someone else in the video instead of coaching you? If so, Id find another coach, thats so irritating to be paying for lessons and not getting a "lesson".

Hard to tell from the shaky video, but your position looks pretty good to me. Im not used to the QH circuit, so not sure if the horse is supposed to be behind the verticle...but if not, only suggestion would to float the reins after the fence to prevent that curl with his head...other than that its hard to tell much but your position from a distance looks pretty good!!

StrawberryFields
May. 30, 2011, 11:24 PM
some of those fences are def not 2'9".

Your position looks good from the video though and your horse looks cute, too! I agree with the above post, he does look a little behind the verticle.

jetsmom
May. 31, 2011, 02:32 AM
I tried to watch the video twice, but got too dizzy from the camera shaking. Plus your dark breeches/pants blend in with the horse, so I can't see your leg.

meupatdoes
May. 31, 2011, 04:17 AM
I can't see anything with your position, but you must be doing something right because your horse shows quite a consistent pace throughout, good straightness and a ride to the middle, consistently well executed lead changes, and you made my heart go pitter pat riding to the *outside* of that cone at 1:30 and generally finishing your corners.

For someone who describes themselves as largely untrained, this was a better, more i's-dotted and t's-crossed performance than a lot of people who jump bigger and do it sloppily (with lessons!).

If you were my student I would probably work mainly on flat work just to improve the canter a little and see if we could get the topline a little less curled and the balance a little lighter. You came in a little tight to two of them so I might roll the ground lines out a little on the verticals to give them a little more depth and make them easier. Actually they're all verticals so I would probably put up some oxers to help develop the horse's jump. You mentioned earlier you want to start riding with a spur to get him more energetic; I actually quite like your pace and while I would work on making the horse more adjustable and a little lighter on the aids, I would not try to light him up any more or go any faster.

But overall, good job. Loved this video of someone starting to put it together correctly by paying attention to the little details. This is much more important than quibbling over whether the jumps are three inches higher or lower.

Czar
May. 31, 2011, 07:10 AM
I actually quite like your pace and while I would work on making the horse more adjustable and a little lighter on the aids, I would not try to light him up any more or go any faster.

Absolutely. Why would anyone want to see a hunter round more forward than this? She makes it down the lines & has a nice, even pace.

I would try a couple of different things to smooth things out a bit including unbraiding his tail (he does swish a lot which is distracting & will be penalized in the hunter ring)..no idea if that would help but it's worth a shot. Also, maybe sitting slightly less deep & relaxing your hand a bit might make for a more relaxed looking horse.

Big_Grey_hunter
May. 31, 2011, 07:25 AM
I'm very impressed by the fact you have no stirrups! I wouldn't have noticed if you had said something. I agree a touch faster would be good, and perhaps a lighter rein and seat so he doesn't try to curl. Otherwise, lovely round with a very nice horse. he is just lovely!

Your trainer appears to be a jerk and I have to ask. What herpes thing?

mortebella
May. 31, 2011, 07:51 AM
He's just talking about EHV-1 and show cancellations.

findeight
May. 31, 2011, 09:53 AM
You know, IMO her pace is FINE for these jumps. Absolutely no reason for more here, with or without irons. Maybe a little smoother trying to keep it without the curl up and tail.

That much I could see enough to comment on.

Stellar_moves
May. 31, 2011, 06:33 PM
I can't see anything with your position, but you must be doing something right because your horse shows quite a consistent pace throughout, good straightness and a ride to the middle, consistently well executed lead changes, and you made my heart go pitter pat riding to the *outside* of that cone at 1:30 and generally finishing your corners.

For someone who describes themselves as largely untrained, this was a better, more i's-dotted and t's-crossed performance than a lot of people who jump bigger and do it sloppily (with lessons!).

If you were my student I would probably work mainly on flat work just to improve the canter a little and see if we could get the topline a little less curled and the balance a little lighter. You came in a little tight to two of them so I might roll the ground lines out a little on the verticals to give them a little more depth and make them easier. Actually they're all verticals so I would probably put up some oxers to help develop the horse's jump. You mentioned earlier you want to start riding with a spur to get him more energetic; I actually quite like your pace and while I would work on making the horse more adjustable and a little lighter on the aids, I would not try to light him up any more or go any faster.

But overall, good job. Loved this video of someone starting to put it together correctly by paying attention to the little details. This is much more important than quibbling over whether the jumps are three inches higher or lower.

Thanks!! I really try to get my trainer (more like my "supervisor") to set up poles in front of jumps, set them up to a higher height like 3'6, and set up more balance lines. But, one of the girls in my lessons is scared to jump any higher than a 3' fence. I do tons of flat, I've switched to just jumping once or twice a week and flatting the rest. It's improved our fences a ton! But if I could, I would definitely be jumping 3'3 to 3'6 on a regular basis, just because I think its more fun, and same with my horse!

As for the tail wringing, we stuck the tail bag on him.. and discovered he hated it. I took it off last week, and he stopped swinging it around. Thanks everyone for the feedback:)

Stellar_moves
May. 31, 2011, 06:35 PM
He's just talking about EHV-1 and show cancellations.

Yeah, that's all he ever does. I'm switching trainers after the summer trip most likely. It's gotten out of hand, but I'd rather not talk about it:)

Stellar_moves
May. 31, 2011, 06:54 PM
I'm very impressed by the fact you have no stirrups! I wouldn't have noticed if you had said something. I agree a touch faster would be good, and perhaps a lighter rein and seat so he doesn't try to curl. Otherwise, lovely round with a very nice horse. he is just lovely!

Your trainer appears to be a jerk and I have to ask. What herpes thing?

Thanks! Over the summer I like to take them off my saddle, but I have to work my way up to it :). He's not a jerk at all, I've known him for 10 years. He just almost lost interest in what we are doing. But again, I don't want to get to off topic. But the Equine Herpes Virus that began out west.. We were planning on doing some shows out in Texas and he was telling some of the other girls about it and how they cancelled shows because of it. But thank you for the compliment on my horse:) I love him to death, we've come such a long way together!

findeight
Jun. 1, 2011, 10:24 AM
Yeah, that's all he ever does. I'm switching trainers after the summer trip most likely. It's gotten out of hand, but I'd rather not talk about it:)

VERY glad to hear that is now an option-IIRC that was suggested last time you were on here regularly. Good decision and like to think COTH got you thinking about that.

And, yeah, keep the details out of it, we don't need to know and neither does all of cyberspace.

One thing you might try is to move-or ask trainer to move- your ground poles out a little further and put one on each side of your fence. Show fences are as wide as they are high so put them about 18" in front of and behind your fence to get you a much better jump and help the horse to use himself better. The jumps don't need to be higher but wider is going to help when they are just airy post and rails like these that require little effort and almost no pace.

Of course, when he jumps a little wider you WILL need to carry a little more pace for a bigger step, so let go a little.

Good luck at your summer shows and let us know when you switch trainers. I think you will be very surprised and pleased.

OveroHunter
Jun. 1, 2011, 10:36 AM
Im not used to the QH circuit, so not sure if the horse is supposed to be behind the verticle...but if not, only suggestion would to float the reins after the fence to prevent that curl with his head...other than that its hard to tell much but your position from a distance looks pretty good!!

They are not "supposed to" be behind the vertical according to the rulebook; however, some judges pin horses with their heads too low and and behind the vertical over others with a more natural "hunter style" headset and carriage. I'm hoping to see a change in this soon so that AQHA and APHA hunters aren't going around on their forehand and actually start jumping correctly from their hind end.

I like your horse! You guys started a little on the forehand, but he picked up nicely once you guys started jumping. Your equitation was very good for no stirrups!

moonriverfarm
Jun. 1, 2011, 01:13 PM
I wish my old *** could sit that tight around a course with no stirrups!!!!

Stellar_moves
Jun. 1, 2011, 03:12 PM

Thank you!!:D

Stellar_moves
Jun. 1, 2011, 03:14 PM
VERY glad to hear that is now an option-IIRC that was suggested last time you were on here regularly. Good decision and like to think COTH got you thinking about that.

And, yeah, keep the details out of it, we don't need to know and neither does all of cyberspace.

One thing you might try is to move-or ask trainer to move- your ground poles out a little further and put one on each side of your fence. Show fences are as wide as they are high so put them about 18" in front of and behind your fence to get you a much better jump and help the horse to use himself better. The jumps don't need to be higher but wider is going to help when they are just airy post and rails like these that require little effort and almost no pace.

Of course, when he jumps a little wider you WILL need to carry a little more pace for a bigger step, so let go a little.

Good luck at your summer shows and let us know when you switch trainers. I think you will be very surprised and pleased.

I agree with everything you're saying. We used to do that and thats when we were all way better and I'll start doing that by myself. I'll definitely keep everyone posted on the summer shows and the world show:)

Stellar_moves
Jun. 1, 2011, 03:16 PM
They are not "supposed to" be behind the vertical according to the rulebook; however, some judges pin horses with their heads too low and and behind the vertical over others with a more natural "hunter style" headset and carriage. I'm hoping to see a change in this soon so that AQHA and APHA hunters aren't going around on their forehand and actually start jumping correctly from their hind end.

I like your horse! You guys started a little on the forehand, but he picked up nicely once you guys started jumping. Your equitation was very good for no stirrups!

Thanks so much! He loves the jumping, so after the first jump or two the light bulb clicks in his brain and he just cruises around like its nobody's business:)

Stellar_moves
Jun. 1, 2011, 07:19 PM
Here's my equitation with stirrups round.. Sorry, again, the video taping is HORRIBLE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLE8dMO5T5Q&feature=channel_video_title

allison finch
Jun. 1, 2011, 07:20 PM
some of those fences are def not 2'9".

Your position looks good from the video though and your horse looks cute, too! I agree with the above post, he does look a little behind the verticle.

I agree. I didn't see any 2'9, much less 3'. I must say, I really like how you have your horse going. What I can see of your riding looks quite nice.

OP, the video is too bouncy and far away to offer any real critique, sorry.

KateKat
Jun. 1, 2011, 07:30 PM
holy heck those videos are hard to watch...gave me a bit of a headache.

But, from what I can tell, I actually like you better with no stirrups! It seems like your leg liked to slip back a little with them.

Stellar_moves
Jun. 1, 2011, 08:00 PM
holy heck those videos are hard to watch...gave me a bit of a headache.

But, from what I can tell, I actually like you better with no stirrups! It seems like your leg liked to slip back a little with them.

I actually totally agree with you haha. I think with my stirrups, I almost try to ride too much and forget about my equitation. But when I don't have them, I sit back and ride less and let him do his job... Now I just have to figure out a way to mix the two -___-.

fordtraktor
Jun. 1, 2011, 10:12 PM
I think your pace is fine and your riding very nice. And on a side note, I saw your horse in the standings in the QH Journal, good job and keep it up! :)

doublesstable
Jun. 1, 2011, 11:44 PM

Just wanted to push the like button :) :D

Stellar_moves
Jun. 2, 2011, 03:04 PM
I think your pace is fine and your riding very nice. And on a side note, I saw your horse in the standings in the QH Journal, good job and keep it up! :)

Thanks so much!! I'm just trying to keep the top ten in the nation in the eq over... Id really rather not do jumpers unless it's at the majors but I'll take it :D thanks so much though! Will you be at the world show?

fordtraktor
Jun. 2, 2011, 03:48 PM
Thanks so much!! I'm just trying to keep the top ten in the nation in the eq over... Id really rather not do jumpers unless it's at the majors but I'll take it :D thanks so much though! Will you be at the world show?

No my QH is just a yearling but I have plans for Congress in 2014! I don't want to do the HUS with him so I have to wait a few years.

Sparky
Jun. 2, 2011, 04:20 PM
Our barn will be at youth world so I'll definitely keep the cheering section going-- this year's group of o/f horses and riders seem exceptionally talented!

fordtraktor
Jun. 2, 2011, 04:28 PM
Are they live-streaming it these days? Let us know when you go so we can cheer from afar!

Stellar_moves
Jun. 2, 2011, 06:47 PM
Our barn will be at youth world so I'll definitely keep the cheering section going-- this year's group of o/f horses and riders seem exceptionally talented!

Haha thanks! I'll especially need it in the jumpers... Ugh that never seems to work out haha! Who do you ride with? what events do you do?! I'll cheer for you too!! :) I love the world show.. So exciting!

Stellar_moves
Jun. 2, 2011, 06:49 PM
Are they live-streaming it these days? Let us know when you go so we can cheer from afar!

They live stream it every year! I'll make a thread titled "AQHYA World Championship Show Watch" when the time gets closer. I'll post the link to the live streaming and the schedule of events! The hunter classes are in the performance arena this year just like last, but not the main Colosseum :(

And Congress is my FAVORITE horse show in the history of horse shows! Who is your yearling out of? You should get her ready for the 2 year old futurities and the lounge line :)

findeight
Jun. 2, 2011, 06:58 PM
Stellar, you do that and keep us in that particular loop. Good horses are good horses whatever the job we assign them.

Good to know what the "other side" is doing, that defined as everything from Arabs to ASBs to QHs. We ARE all in this together and only as strong as out weakest link collectively.:cool:

Stellar_moves
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:23 PM
Stellar, you do that and keep us in that particular loop. Good horses are good horses whatever the job we assign them.

Good to know what the "other side" is doing, that defined as everything from Arabs to ASBs to QHs. We ARE all in this together and only as strong as out weakest link collectively.:cool:

I definitely will! And I totally agree with you:)

Sparky
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:44 PM
Haha thanks! I'll especially need it in the jumpers... Ugh that never seems to work out haha! Who do you ride with? what events do you do?! I'll cheer for you too!! :) I love the world show.. So exciting!

I'm the Mom and unofficial head cheerleader for Lainie Deboer's kids. Nobody in the jumpers this year, so I'll be rooting for you ::):

Stellar_moves
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:05 PM
I'm the Mom and unofficial head cheerleader for Lainie Deboer's kids. Nobody in the jumpers this year, so I'll be rooting for you ::):

Haha I love Lainie! She's a phenominal rider... All of the girls who ride with her are so talented! Are you Kristin's mom?

Sparky
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:28 PM
No--Lainie's Mom :lol:

Stellar_moves
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:29 PM
No--Lainie's Mom :lol:

That's so awesome!! I bet it's been so fun to see her become so successful! All of her riders are amazing. I think Jessica Johnson's black horse is my favorite along with Kelsey's horse :)

Sparky
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:39 PM
It's been fun over the years watching the kids and horses progress. This is Jessie's 12th year with Lainie, I think. Great bunch of people :)
Keep up your hard work and it will pay off for you!

Stellar_moves
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:41 PM
It's been fun over the years watching the kids and horses progress. This is Jessie's 12th year with Lainie, I think. Great bunch of people :)
Keep up your hard work and it will pay off for you!

Wow! That's amazing.. She's a beautiful rider. Saw her winning round at the congress, it was just awesome.

And I really hope so! Thanks so much :)

Stellar_moves
Jul. 10, 2011, 11:53 AM
Update:

Just so I don't have to post a new thread, here are some raw videos of my lesson on Friday. I have been taking lessons from another girl at the barn who is on the USF equestrian team. She has opened my eyes to some things that I never thought of! Let me know your thoughts! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9dGfoCBcGY

Beethoven
Jul. 10, 2011, 02:01 PM
Update:

Just so I don't have to post a new thread, here are some raw videos of my lesson on Friday. I have been taking lessons from another girl at the barn who is on the USF equestrian team. She has opened my eyes to some things that I never thought of! Let me know your thoughts! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9dGfoCBcGY

Won't let us view it do to copyright violation. :/

Stellar_moves
Jul. 10, 2011, 08:24 PM
Okay! I found the problem and fixed it :) This link will work!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZiU54BG5OA