PDA

View Full Version : Dressage oriented boarding facility/NC

ChangeOfLead
May. 30, 2011, 08:26 PM
Figured it would be better to post in this forum, since I'm researching dressage oriented boarding barns in the Raleigh/Durham area. If you guys think posting to the Horse Care forum would get more responses, please let me know!

Am very happy at current barn but some changes have taken place recently that have me wanting to research available options, just in case. I have no current intention of moving but would like to know what's out there. I know of the major local barns, but they don't seem to fit my needs. Am hoping that a few NC COTH members could help point me in the right direction, since it seems many smaller local barns in this area don't tend to advertise much or at least have web pages.

My main issue is I prefer my horse to be pasture boarded. I recognize that many barns don't offer pasture boarding due to wear and tear on the pastures, etc. I totally get it. But that is what I want. My horse is happier on pasture 24/7 and so that's what I'm looking for. While certainly pasture board tends to be less expensive and that is a plus, it's about my horse first and foremost being happier out.

It also seems most places with pasture board chuck multiple horses out in one field with no real plan for making sure each horse gets its grain without getting bullied off, etc. Would love to find a place that had some sort of way to ensure the horses each received their OWN ration of grain and supplements.

I'm not high maintenance at all...don't feed a ton of grain, horse isn't on a ton of supplements. Horse is very well mannered. Would love a barn with a small adult community, preferably with adults that ride dressage or eventing. I don't have a trailer and would love to tag along to local shows. Would love a barn that has a reputable trainer on site or at least allows one to come in.

In summary...does this barn even exist? I don't want drama or anything of the sort. Just good quality care, a group of people to connect with, and to know my horse is getting fed and is in a well maintained area.

Anyone know of a facility like this within 45 minutes of Raleigh/Durham? Thanks so much!

catosis
May. 30, 2011, 08:55 PM
NCDCTA (http://www.ncdcta.org/TDirectory.html)

That is an incredibly useful resource. If you are willing to drive a bit, my instructor is about an hour east of raleigh. PM me if you want some more info on her. She is INCREDIBLY talented. Let me put it this way: She is the trainer who trains your trainer.

MediaMD
May. 30, 2011, 09:14 PM
NCDCTA has a wealth of information on our classified section as the previous poster mentioned.

If you haven't already talk to Karyn Becerra at Iron Horse Farm. She might have a place for you that is pasture board and is a great dressage instructor.

PM me if you want more information and a contact number.

Good luck!
Suzanne

clover
May. 30, 2011, 09:24 PM
You should look at Crescent Farm in Hillsborough.

slight
May. 30, 2011, 09:30 PM
I know someone in Wilson - which side of Raleigh are you on?

Wish you lived by me!!! I could use a riding buddy in my barn ~

shawneeAcres
May. 30, 2011, 09:48 PM
We are near Wilson and offer pasture board. Horses are fed in such a way that they all get their feed. We have several "dressage" oriented adult riders as well as some riders that jump. I teach/train here, but I do only do lower levels (training/first). We also have schooling dressage shows and haul to some dressage as well as hunter shows locally. We currently have a 250 x 140 sand arena and are in the process of putting in a dedicated dressage arena. Email me if you would like more information, we are 45 minutes east of Raleigh

Petstorejunkie
May. 30, 2011, 10:16 PM
PM sent with suggestions :)

NCSue
May. 31, 2011, 10:56 AM
There are so many barns that offer pasture board or at least a good amount of turnout that it would be hard to recommend them all. PSJ probably is more current on what's available towards the Raleigh area.

If you can't find anything via the NCDCTA website you might find more useful help if you post directly to their bulletin board. As you probably know one thing in this area you have to be concerned about besides the high temps/humidity is biting bugs.

I'm probably out of your geographical area as I'm in Williamston. I do have lots of pasture turnout although each horse also has their own stall.

Best wishes.

dalpal
May. 31, 2011, 04:57 PM
Triple R Ranch....15 min N. of Wake Forest. 850 acres of pure bliss. We have a couple dressage trainers that come in to teach.

Don't know if they have any pasture board openings......but PM me if you want the barn manager's contact info.

PiaffePlease
May. 31, 2011, 10:59 PM
There's a dressage based co-op in Holly Springs, NC. Regulation full-sized dressage arena, lights, mirrors. Horses are turned out in individual paddocks (so they always get their own hay/grain). Im pretty sure 24/7 turnout is an option. The barn owner also teaches dressage lessons. Super friendly people. PM me if you want the contact info.

ChangeOfLead
May. 31, 2011, 11:42 PM
Thanks very much everyone, and thank you for the PMs. It is great to know the different options out there. I'm actually kind of surprised this many people have responded! Unfortunately some of the options are a bit far (Wilson area, etc) but some of the Raleigh/Durham suggestions I never knew existed! I'm surprised these barns don't have more advertising out there, or maybe they don't have an issue getting and maintaining boarders.

Rhiannonjk
Jun. 1, 2011, 11:02 AM
In the RDU area, I have found that word of mouth finds better options than advertisements ANYDAY.

Petstorejunkie
Jun. 1, 2011, 11:39 AM
In the RDU area, I have found that word of mouth finds better options than advertisements ANYDAY.
painfully true.
When I first moved up here, I didn't have a horsey friend community to rely on really for suggestions, and google, and nchorsenews were my only real search options. I didn't even know of any local tack stores to go talk to!
It's amazing how many options really are out there once you get to know the area :)

Rhiannonjk
Jun. 1, 2011, 11:51 AM
Shoot, I have lots of connections in the area, and I still, out of habit, sit at every clinic and competition and ask "Where do THEY Board?"